Martin Grey live on BBC Tees sports live tonight

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

roadrunner
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Martin Grey live on BBC Tees sports live tonight

Post by roadrunner » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:27 pm

Great 5 years but as per usual, Mr Gray has s*** on us hope he doesn't want to come back in 6 months,
Join the book Martin.
Brealey,Peden, Reynolds,Houghton, Singh

offside

Post by offside » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:47 pm

Quakerz wrote:So, basically he wanted yet more money, it wasn't forthcoming (obviously, the last two gates were 1,200!) so he split.

And he just happened to resign and York just happened to contact him later that day. I'm having trouble believing that one.

We're just a laughing stock anyway.
Of course he was after money thats all he ever seemed to waffle on about... Come on u lot any manager with that budget in them lower leagues would of done what he has done fgs why cant some of u realise that... He has been totally found out now and without a budget good enough for them leagues i dont think he would of done what he did... All he wanted was money money money and people can say what they like but he was holding our club to ransom!!!!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:50 pm

offside wrote:
Quakerz wrote:So, basically he wanted yet more money, it wasn't forthcoming (obviously, the last two gates were 1,200!) so he split.

And he just happened to resign and York just happened to contact him later that day. I'm having trouble believing that one.

Of course he was after money thats all he ever seemed to waffle on about... Come on u lot any manager with that budget in them lower leagues would of done what he has done fgs why cant some of u realise that... He has been totally found out now and without a budget good enough for them leagues i dont think he would of done what he did... All he wanted was money money money and people can say what they like but he was holding our club to ransom!!!!
Don't disagree there about him always wanting more money etc - but one thing I will say is that i don't think any old manager could have obliterated the Northern League like he did!

Although he was well backed, he didn't have the best budget that year, Celtic Nation and Spennymoor had more.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:55 pm

Martin Gray can criticise the fan owned model all he likes, but it is what got him where he is now. Without us and our money I doubt he'd be managing full time.

If we hadn't saved the club and bought him a very strong team to manage he'd most likely be nowhere.

He's not shown an ounce gratitude. We are better off with a manager who understands what it is to be a sustainable non-league club and hopefully with time that attitude will rub off on our fanbase and the town in general.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:59 pm

Quakerz wrote:
offside wrote:

Don't disagree there about him always wanting more money etc - but one thing I will say is that i don't think any old manager could have obliterated the Northern League like he did!

Although he was well backed, he didn't have the best budget that year, Celtic Nation and Spennymoor had more.
A welcome bit of perspective Quakerz. People are letting their emotions get in the way of the evidence. Up until trying to get Singh involved he’d done a remarkable job.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:03 pm

"The financial restrictions at Darlington Football Club are so very, very tight."

"It's a football club that needs to change the way it's run."

Darlo bit starts from about 50 mins.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05fz6sn
Last edited by LoidLucan on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:10 pm

And it seems we are now on our way to doing just that...

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:10 pm

LoidLucan wrote:"The financial restrictions at Darlington Football Clubs are so very, very tight."
Yes Martin, we GET IT.

York have bigger support AND a chairman that puts money in - lucky them and lucky you.

But we still have a budget to compete at the top end of this level once York and a couple of the toy clubs have gone up.

Now do one!

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:15 pm

He is sounding like a fucking petty child, he knew what circumstances he was working under.

1st tough spell and he's jumped ship. Now it seems like he is slagging us off.
Last edited by AndyPark on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

offside

Post by offside » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:16 pm

Quakerz wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:"The financial restrictions at Darlington Football Clubs are so very, very tight."
Yes Martin, we GET IT.

York have bigger support AND a chairman that puts money in - lucky them and lucky you.

But we still have a budget to compete at the top end of this level once York and a couple of the toy clubs have gone up.

Now do one!
Thats all he was about and ALL he went on about!!!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:16 pm

I think he said there are about six of them that we are not going to be able to compete with in this league.

offside

Post by offside » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:17 pm

Spyman wrote:Martin Gray can criticise the fan owned model all he likes, but it is what got him where he is now. Without us and our money I doubt he'd be managing full time.

If we hadn't saved the club and bought him a very strong team to manage he'd most likely be nowhere.

He's not shown an ounce gratitude. We are better off with a manager who understands what it is to be a sustainable non-league club and hopefully with time that attitude will rub off on our fanbase and the town in general.

Someone who is talking sense... Well said

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Martin Grey live on BBC Tees sports live tonight

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:21 pm

Showed his true colours prior to this,time to move on.
Not sure about some left at the club as dont know enough about the personalities but as long as we can react early to problems that may arise thats ok.
As others have said,club can get the stand sorted and move forward without his constant whining about money.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:30 pm

He did not come across well at all, considering he only found out Saturday evening/Sunday morning of York's interest, he has already stated they lack fitness, need 3 players, has them lined up to sign, and has appointed Penney....some going that Martin!.Come on we demand a little more respect than that or is it to fudge over possible compensation.If he comes for any of our players then make them pay a significant transfer fee, we are going for the playoffs as well as them.I sincerely hope we stand our ground on this one.Personally the way this has all come about I could not give a hoot about Martin Gray and for once will be rooting for Salford and Harrogate to go up over them....never ever thought I would say that, rightly or wrongly that's the way I feel.And while we are on, that so called interview was pathetic, barely 5 mins before it was cut short.Before this we had a thick Poolie fan rabbitting on about nothing, before that was Craig Harrison and before that some commentary of the Woking/Pools game.Must have been 15 mins coverage for them.Really poor from BBC Tees, no surprise really.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:35 pm

All he had to say was something like 'opportunity to manage full time too good to turn down, grateful for the opportunity Darlo gave me, achieved a lot together in 5 years, recognise the financial limitations of fan owned club even though the fans have raised huge amounts, wish them success in ththe future etc etc' and walked away with a little bit of dignity....

but couldn't help himself.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:44 pm

I'm actually a bit sad about how this has all ended. He should've gone down as a Darlo legend, but now I'm envisaging a but of a meh reception in January when we play York.

He couldn't help one last little dig at the fans owned model which was thrust upon us by the actions of his 'investor' R. Singh. The fans owned model which of course gave him his chance in management, that has provided him with very good budgets for the 5 and a bit years he's been in charge of the club, to the detriment of other areas of the clubs development. He did very well with the budgets given to him (until the last 6 weeks or so), but the pleading of poverty are well wide of the mark.

People rightly understood his anger about the events of last season - we all felt it. People would mostly understand the appeal of York in comparison to us - it makes me sad thinking about the York match, and how it felt like a proper match, yet we have to turn up to BM every other week where we can barely afford to install another 250 seats. But he couldn't help one last complaint about our financial situation - he was even at it in his York press conference today too.

Shame.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:45 pm

Alfie wrote:All he had to say was something like 'opportunity to manage full time too good to turn down, grateful for the opportunity Darlo gave me, achieved a lot together in 5 years, recognise the financial limitations of fan owned club even though the fans have raised huge amounts, wish them success in ththe future etc etc' and walked away with a little bit of dignity....

Yep - if he'd said something along those lines he'd have left with the respect of most I'm sure.

DC

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:51 pm

I am surprised he went to York, thought Salford may have poached him eventually.
I think he should have gone at the end of last season but what is done is done.
When are we going to hear from our new management team that’s what matters now.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:52 pm

Alfie wrote:All he had to say was something like 'opportunity to manage full time too good to turn down, grateful for the opportunity Darlo gave me, achieved a lot together in 5 years, recognise the financial limitations of fan owned club even though the fans have raised huge amounts, wish them success in ththe future etc etc' and walked away with a little bit of dignity....

Totally agree but I didn't expect anything else. He's too stubborn. He doesn't learn from his mistakes, it's always someone else's fault, and that harm him for the rest of his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:53 pm

The old saying "no one person is bigger than a football club" so applies here.

We've survived way more than petty comments from an ex manager.

Thanks for the last few years Martin.....good luck trying to get the York chairman to keep coughing up cash everytime you lose a few games...

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:09 pm

LoidLucan wrote:"The financial restrictions at Darlington Football Club are so very, very tight."

How exactly does he envisage that we change the way we're run...oh I know, accept Raj back on board no questions asked.
The lack of judgement in expecting that the fans would jump at the chance to have Raj back and the way that he still kept going on about needing investment up until the end shows that by the end of his tenure he'd actually become deluded and I think as a result the players stopped playing for him.
I'll be honest here, up until that night in April he could do no wrong for me, but now I feel that a cloud has been lifted from the club. Very ironic that that that quote was the very last line that he said in the radio interview.
Am looking forward to Brian Atkinson and Sean Gregan. I don't think the squad needs freshening up at all, as MG said, I think the management team did and now it has been.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:16 pm

Gray was happy to float along on the glory that the fan owned model gave to him, however at the first sign of a slow down he fooks off.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:"The financial restrictions at Darlington Football Club are so very, very tight."

How exactly does he envisage that we change the way we're run...oh I know, accept Raj back on board no questions asked.
The lack of judgement in expecting that the fans would jump at the chance to have Raj back and the way that he still kept going on about needing investment up until the end shows that by the end of his tenure he'd actually become deluded and I think as a result the players stopped playing for him.
I'll be honest here, up until that night in April he could do no wrong for me, but now I feel that a cloud has been lifted from the club. Very ironic that that that quote was the very last line that he said in the radio interview.
Am looking forward to Brian Atkinson and Sean Gregan. I don't think the squad needs freshening up at all, as MG said, I think the management team did and now it has been.
Good point. Gray became fixated on needing more money in order to get new players in. Be pretty easy to lose the dressing room when your manager is repeatedly implying he needs better players in public.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:23 pm

When the going got tuff he fucked off, we may have found our level for the time being but in all honesty I think Martin Gray found his level can't see him lasting at York .
Wouldn't be surprised to see him poach Thompson as well as Ferguson as he always said he could play at higher level and had a soft spot for him.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:32 pm

roadrunner wrote:Wouldn't be surprised to see him poach Thompson as well
Are you drunk ??
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:35 pm

Nope, he'll just be spouting his usual shite.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:46 pm

Agree with everything Alfie said but now would like to hear something from our new management team

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:47 pm

Atky and Sean's pre-training talk will be interesting. Hope it's 'Well guys, Martin had lost belief in you, he kept saying we needed investment and better players and the squad needed freshening up. Do you reckon you're good enough."
MG's strength was motivation, but Sean will have no problem with motivating in a different way. He's full of confidence and quite the joker on match day and around the squad. Am sure the players will enjoy his style as a bit of difference after the more intense style of MG. Might be just what they need.

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:47 pm

roadrunner wrote:When the going got tuff he fucked off, we may have found our level for the time being but in all honesty I think Martin Gray found his level can't see him lasting at York .
Wouldn't be surprised to see him poach Thompson as well as Ferguson as he always said he could play at higher level and had a soft spot for him.
Thompson hasn't impressed me this season at all, can't finish simple chances this year. Be surprised if he goes. As everyone has been saying, Ferguson is surely inevitable. He's far far too good to be at this level.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:54 pm

AndyPark wrote:Nope, he'll just be spouting his usual shite.
I wouldn't have Thompson in the Darlo team at the moment I'm just going by what I hear when I'm stood behind Gray,s parents on the balcony the family think very highly of him
Shows in Grays team selection.