Martin Grey live on BBC Tees sports live tonight

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Martin Grey live on BBC Tees sports live tonight

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:57 pm

Ah, stood on the balcony. So you either tap up Steve McClaren for Yarm consortium rumours or you ARE Steve McClaren.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Ah, stood on the balcony. So you either tap up Steve McClaren for Yarm consortium rumours or you ARE Steve McClaren.
No I just pay to go up there on certain match days , Just for the record can't stand the bloke and I heard he's going to be taking some training sessions at York.
Just wanted his money for the football club but looks like he's going to be putting it in his hometown club.
Last edited by roadrunner on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Henley

Post by Henley » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:15 pm

Just seen Gray’s suit/tie combo at his York unveiling.

Jesus H Christ - he looks like a Poolie in front of the beak.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:02 pm

Quakerz wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:"The financial restrictions at Darlington Football Clubs are so very, very tight."
Yes Martin, we GET IT.

York have bigger support AND a chairman that puts money in - lucky them and lucky you.

But we still have a budget to compete at the top end of this level once York and a couple of the toy clubs have gone up.

Now do one!
Do York have bigger support? Perhaps atm, although of the 4k at our game, 1100 were our fans... most people in York support Leeds, it's not that big a city anyway, I wouldn't say they have a bigger fan base...

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:03 pm

Until the late moment last season when we learned of the play-offs fiasco, and the fans forum blast off, it had all been going so well.
We had nearly 5 years of excitement, drama and entertainment.
Yes Martin could come across as surly at post match interviews but as a football team manager he gave us results and promotions. He knew his stuff. I always felt that when he made substitutions that those substitutes came on and made the difference.
How could it be that someone who seemed as Darlo through and through like the rest of us could walk away?
Well he is human like the rest of us and I suspect he will actually be still wondering if he made the right decision to leave.
It is always difficult to walk away from a project you have developed and given a large part of your life to.
I think he will be feeling elements of guilt (to the fans, players and helpers) and some anxiety too, because he will be nervous about making a successful impact at York (he wouldn't be human otherwise).
I think it must have been a hard decision for him. But like others have said, I suspect he had rather longer to think about it than has been made out.
I understand those who are having a rant at him. But I would say this:
We were all happy to celebrate with him as we left the hapless Ebac league and had our subsequent promotions. And whatever mistakes he made (and there were some) have to be outweighed by his successes. Nobody else gave us as many promotions as he did.
He therefore is a Darlo legend.
Good luck to him at York (he'll need it) but not when he brings his team back to Darlington. I hope his team are well beaten that day. But it would be churlish not to acknowledge what he's done, and not to wish him well.
By the same soft spot that Brian Little always looked out for Darlington's results after he left, I also wonder if - in the fullness of time - MG ever comes back?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:Until the late moment last season when we learned of the play-offs fiasco, and the fans forum blast off, it had all been going so well.
Yes Martin could come across as surly at post match interviews but as a football team manager he gave us results and promotions. He knew his stuff. I always felt that when he made substitutions that those substitutes came on and made the difference.
How could it be that someone who seemed as Darlo through and through like the rest of us could walk away?
Well he is human like the rest of us and I suspect he will actually be still wondering if he made the right decision to leave.
It is always difficult to walk away from a project you have developed and given a large part of your life to.
I think he will be feeling elements of guilt (to the fans, players and helpers) and some anxiety too, because he will be nervous about making a successful impact at York (he wouldn't be human otherwise).
I think it must have been a hard decision for him. But like others have said, I suspect he had rather longer to think about it than has been made out.
We were all happy to celebrate with him as we left the hapless Ebac league and had our subsequent promotions. And whatever mistakes he made (and there were some) have to be outweighed by his successes. Nobody else gave us as many promotions as he did.
Good luck to him at York (he'll need it) but not when he brings his team back to Darlington. I hope his team are well beaten that day. But it would be churlish not to acknowledge what he's done, and not to wish him well.
By the same soft spot that Brian Little always looked out for Darlington's results after he left, I also wonder if - in the fullness of time - MG ever comes back?
Brian Little left with dignity and did not have a go at the club unlike this guy.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:29 pm

Yes he could have walked away with most supporters blessing if he said the right things and thanked everybody for their support and money given these last 5 yrs

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:Good luck to him at York (he'll need it) but not when he brings his team back to Darlington. I hope his team are well beaten that day. But it would be churlish not to acknowledge what he's done, and not to wish him well.
Feethams, this whole episode takes me back to The Sex Pistols last ever gig in 1978. Johny Rotten exits the stage leaving these immortal words hanging in the air ... "Ah ha ha - ever get the feeling you've been cheated"?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

tezza

Post by tezza » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:34 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:Until the late moment last season when we learned of the play-offs fiasco, and the fans forum blast off, it had all been going so well.

You really need to throw away the bedroom idol and rose tinted glasses.
No one denies the mans achievements, god knows he reminded us at every opportunity.
However the way he orchestrated his departure, the lack of respect for the club and its fans will forever sully the memory.
I always thought that RS was crass in his dealings with the club, however the nature of that beast was revealed in the full glare of publicity, this beast has chosen to hide his true nature until the very last, and even when disclosed, still blames his greatest supporters.
You cannot re write the history books. It is what it is, but MG in the same breath as Lol Morgan, Brian Little,Ron Greener, Tony Moore, John Peverill , even Gary Brown & Alan White ..really

Santino

Post by Santino » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:53 pm

Fuck Martin Gray. A chequebook manager who has bailed the second he hasn't got one of the biggest budgets in the division to work from.

I look forward to him being out of work in a year's time.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:17 am

Feethams 1966 wrote: Yes Martin could come across as surly at post match interviews but as a football team manager we gave him results and promotions.
Fixed that for you.....
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC