My interview with Martin Gray

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mario
Team Supported: Darlington

My interview with Martin Gray

Post by Mario » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi all.

I post here from time to time and write for the Non-League Paper.

I interviewed Martin for the Non-League Paper after the Salford game and everything seemed all set for a big season at Darlo. I know results haven't been good of late but I am very surprised at Gray leaving at this time, after what he said to me in the interview.

Q. Are the events and the turmoil at the end of last season now fully behind you and forgotten about?

MG. Yes it definitely took some recovering from and it was very, very frustrating and it was also very hard to accept after all of the hard work and effort that was put in on the pitch especially by the players. It was a tough summer after the season ended and there is no getting away from that. But, it's important that we put the disappointing events of last season behind us and the frustration they brought and instead concentrate on things ahead of us and not what has happened in the past. It's important that we concentrate on things on the pitch this season and not worry or concern ourselves about the other things.

Q. Having said that though, how difficult has it been to put the frustrations of last season out of your mind?

MG. It's been very hard throughout the summer. It was tough to accept that you and the players have done your job on the pitch but then other things take over. However, it is what it is and we have to make sure we kick on this season and be focused on this season and nothing else should be on our minds. I was hurt by what happened at the end of last season but you can't change what has happened, instead just look ahead and be positive about this season.

Q. There were some rumours that you were going to quit Darlington. How close were you to leaving the club after the end of last season?

MG. No, not at all. This is our club and we have rebuilt this club. Me, the team and the fans and the players who have come and gone, we have all had a part to play in this club. I've had opportunities to go elsewhere but never have I wanted to leave Darlington Football Club. I have right from day one and have always just wanted the right support and I believe that off the pitch things are now in position and we have to kick on and make that count.

Q. The stadium issues of last season are well documented. How confident are you that the same problems will not materialise once again this season?

MG. Well I have been told that everything will be fine and is in hand, but it's important that they follow that through and make sure it is definitely fine. There is a strong structure at Darlington Football Club and we have a group of people working very hard to put things right now.

Q. There are some rumours of potential new investors coming into the club. Can you elaborate on this?

MG. The club definitely needs that investment and that goes together with a really strong fan base also. Both of these are vital and both are much-needed and go hand-in-hand in my opinion.

Q. You have strengthened the squad ahead of the start of this season. How satisfied are you with the overall standard of the squad at your disposal?

MG. Yes I'm happy with the squad and I am really happy that we also got everybody fit for the start of the season which was the most important thing. I'm pleased with how Mark Beck and James Caton have started as a striking partnership and they have been a real handful for the opposition teams. We've had to patch up some of the players at the start of the season as they all haven't had a full pre-season but that's how it goes sometimes. I'm also satisfied with how the new signings have applied themselves and started at the club and it's a good sign for the future. I was really pleased with the warm-up matches against Gateshead and Guiseley ahead of the season start and I think those two matches set us up nicely for the challenges ahead once the season commenced.

Q. How difficult will it be to keep everyone happy, particularly those players who are not playing regularly?

MG. It's all about Darlington Football Club, the players know that and I know that. The club comes first, it comes ahead of individuals and we all know that, so it is something that we have to accept.

Q. Fylde were the dominant force last season, but without them do you feel Darlington's task has been made easier in terms of promotion this season?

MG. I think the division this season is even stronger despite Fylde not being there. Salford have the power to spend as they have shown and York City with their football league experience will be a force too. I think it's a very tough league this time and it's as tough as last year, if not a better standard and even harder this time around.

Q. You played Salford on the opening day of the season and defeated them 2-0. Do you think they are vindicated as favourites to win the league?

MG. We played them at a good time, but regardless of that we knew it would be one of the toughest games of the season. I was pleased that the fixture against Salford came out so early in the season. Salford will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. They have got be haven't they. There is no question about that. The amount of money they have spent in the summer and what they have changed around at their stadium and also given they have now gone full-time they have got to be the favourites to win the league. They are a big strong unit with some big lads in the team but we showed togetherness and that is what Darlington Football Club is about and we showed a real hunger and desire which is something we have in abundance and we will never change the way we are.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Re: My interview with Martin Gray

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:22 pm

He was only on about the turmoil of the ground not being acceptable for us to take part in the play-offs and completely forgot about the turmoil caused by him standing up at the fans forum and stabbing the fans who have our club's best interests at heart, and who have worked tirelessly to make sure we have a club to support, in the back.

He claimed in a radio interview tonight that the board have always been open about everything with him. Pity he didn't see fit to reciprocate when he stood up and completely pulled the rug from under our fundraising efforts by attempting a coup in cahoots with the chairman who plunged us into this mess in the first place. We still don't know what the former chairman's real motive was/maybe still is for his interest in a club with no real assets except, perhaps, to help protect a much rumoured stake he has in our former 25,000 seat stadium. Maybe he saw us as a cheap way to get a new tenant. IDK /guesswork

There were certainly grounds for instant dismissal that night but it would likely have ruptured the club given the amount of anger amongst the fans at the forum which was directed at our board of volunteers who really got stabbed front and back that night. So it was played down as much as possible and MG given the chance to save face a little, which seemed to work up until we got hit by injuries this season and results started going against us... and now he seems to have given up on all those fine things he said in your interview.

I think Steve McClaren's meddling in everything is a bit off too. Not sure whether he had/has a financial interest in all of this... maybe the promise of one from our previous chairman.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:27 pm

He drove a wedge through the heart of the club that night didn't he? Never really apologised properly either.

Now telling us we need to change the way the club is run.

Well as Spyman said on another thread...we are starting to change it now.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Quakerz wrote:He drove a wedge through the heart of the club that night didn't he? Never really apologised properly either.

Now telling us we need to change the way the club is run.

Well as Spyman said on another thread...we are starting to change it now.
Never apologised at all - just said "let's all move on" as if that was his decision to make.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:42 pm

Mario wrote:Hi all.

I post here from time to time and write for the Non-League Paper.

I interviewed Martin for the Non-League Paper after the Salford game and everything seemed all set for a big season at Darlo. I know results haven't been good of late but I am very surprised at Gray leaving at this time, after what he said to me in the interview.

Q. Are the events and the turmoil at the end of last season now fully behind you and forgotten about?

MG. Yes it definitely took some recovering from and it was very, very frustrating and it was also very hard to accept after all of the hard work and effort that was put in on the pitch especially by the players. It was a tough summer after the season ended and there is no getting away from that. But, it's important that we put the disappointing events of last season behind us and the frustration they brought and instead concentrate on things ahead of us and not what has happened in the past. It's important that we concentrate on things on the pitch this season and not worry or concern ourselves about the other things.

Q. Having said that though, how difficult has it been to put the frustrations of last season out of your mind?

MG. It's been very hard throughout the summer. It was tough to accept that you and the players have done your job on the pitch but then other things take over. However, it is what it is and we have to make sure we kick on this season and be focused on this season and nothing else should be on our minds. I was hurt by what happened at the end of last season but you can't change what has happened, instead just look ahead and be positive about this season.

Q. There were some rumours that you were going to quit Darlington. How close were you to leaving the club after the end of last season?

MG. No, not at all. This is our club and we have rebuilt this club. Me, the team and the fans and the players who have come and gone, we have all had a part to play in this club. I've had opportunities to go elsewhere but never have I wanted to leave Darlington Football Club. I have right from day one and have always just wanted the right support and I believe that off the pitch things are now in position and we have to kick on and make that count.

Q. The stadium issues of last season are well documented. How confident are you that the same problems will not materialise once again this season?

MG. Well I have been told that everything will be fine and is in hand, but it's important that they follow that through and make sure it is definitely fine. There is a strong structure at Darlington Football Club and we have a group of people working very hard to put things right now.

Q. There are some rumours of potential new investors coming into the club. Can you elaborate on this?

MG. The club definitely needs that investment and that goes together with a really strong fan base also. Both of these are vital and both are much-needed and go hand-in-hand in my opinion.

Q. You have strengthened the squad ahead of the start of this season. How satisfied are you with the overall standard of the squad at your disposal?

MG. Yes I'm happy with the squad and I am really happy that we also got everybody fit for the start of the season which was the most important thing. I'm pleased with how Mark Beck and James Caton have started as a striking partnership and they have been a real handful for the opposition teams. We've had to patch up some of the players at the start of the season as they all haven't had a full pre-season but that's how it goes sometimes. I'm also satisfied with how the new signings have applied themselves and started at the club and it's a good sign for the future. I was really pleased with the warm-up matches against Gateshead and Guiseley ahead of the season start and I think those two matches set us up nicely for the challenges ahead once the season commenced.

Q. How difficult will it be to keep everyone happy, particularly those players who are not playing regularly?

MG. It's all about Darlington Football Club, the players know that and I know that. The club comes first, it comes ahead of individuals and we all know that, so it is something that we have to accept.

Q. Fylde were the dominant force last season, but without them do you feel Darlington's task has been made easier in terms of promotion this season?

MG. I think the division this season is even stronger despite Fylde not being there. Salford have the power to spend as they have shown and York City with their football league experience will be a force too. I think it's a very tough league this time and it's as tough as last year, if not a better standard and even harder this time around.

Q. You played Salford on the opening day of the season and defeated them 2-0. Do you think they are vindicated as favourites to win the league?

MG. We played them at a good time, but regardless of that we knew it would be one of the toughest games of the season. I was pleased that the fixture against Salford came out so early in the season. Salford will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. They have got be haven't they. There is no question about that. The amount of money they have spent in the summer and what they have changed around at their stadium and also given they have now gone full-time they have got to be the favourites to win the league. They are a big strong unit with some big lads in the team but we showed togetherness and that is what Darlington Football Club is about and we showed a real hunger and desire which is something we have in abundance and we will never change the way we are.
Did he keep a straight face on this one?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:43 pm

Now the dust has started to settle it will be nice to look forward and see what Brian and Sean bring so long as they are genuine about taking the club forward and not using us for now and joining Gray in the summer.That is my only niggly doubt and hope I am totally wrong but time will tell.Would be a pleasant change as well when Ray does his interviews that they will be more relaxed and he can hopefully ask some more searching questions rather than being a bag of nerves with Gray always looking full of hell.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:12 pm

Traveling back from work I heard Gray on BBC York at about 4.45.

He said stuff like "York are a big club and deserve to be in the Football League/blah blah
and stuff like "it was an easy decision to leave Darlington" blah blah

The above interview and what I heard just shows that Gray inhabits the same universe as Singh. They both think that what they’ve said and done previously can be conveniently forgotten about. That they can contradict themselves - then just plough on regardless ! Like we're all thick!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:18 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Traveling back from work I heard Gray on BBC York at about 4.45.

He said stuff like "York are a big club and deserve to be in the Football League/blah blah
and stuff like "it was an easy decision to leave Darlington" blah blah

The above interview and what I heard just shows that Gray inhabits the same universe as Singh. They both think that what they’ve said and done previously can be conveniently forgotten about. That they can contradict themselves - then just plough on regardless ! Like we're all thick!
The word for me is deluded. When Raj was in charge he was utterly convinced that Darlington Council would roll over and give him planning permission -like that was ever going to happen.
Then MG at the Fans Forum was convinced we will all accept Raj with open arms and we'll all be happy ever after and in the Football League in 3 years - like that was ever going to happen either.
To the end he never let his bitterness go at whatever plans he had colluded with Raj not coming to fruition.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 pm

[quote="QUAKERMAN2"]
.Would be a pleasant change as well when Ray does his interviews that they will be more relaxed and he can hopefully ask some more searching questions rather than being a bag of nerves with Gray always looking full of hell.

You made me laugh out loud! Couldn't agree more. Wonder who'll get the job of doing his post match interviews at his new place?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:21 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote: .Would be a pleasant change as well when Ray does his interviews that they will be more relaxed and he can hopefully ask some more searching questions rather than being a bag of nerves with Gray always looking full of hell.

You made me laugh out loud! Couldn't agree more. Wonder who'll get the job of doing his post match interviews at his new place?
Its going to be a big shock for Ray when he has a manager who looks him in the eye during the post match interview.