Set Up

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DFCAnth
Team Supported: Darlington

Set Up

Post by DFCAnth » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:27 pm

Gray's departure and the inevitable signing of some of our players makes it clear to me that this has been set up for a while.

Reading the York forum, that much is apparent as well. Some reckon this nearly happened in the summer. I don't mind Gray leaving but this is a real sickener for me.

Will be interesting to see what else the clubs says in the coming week. I hate it when people call for constant board updates but for me we really need one in regards to Gray's departure. A line to say he has resigned is not enough. Four year contract left and his mate being director, not acceptable if no compensation has been agreed.

quaker4life

Re: Set Up

Post by quaker4life » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:11 pm

Dare I say it? Time for a fans forum.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:13 pm

Think even if Gray hadn't left, one is needed soon, just to give that final pitch for the rough a boost and get that one ticked off.

Understanding the current final situation is a must once the dust settles on this period.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:31 pm

In October last year when he signed his contract extension, Gray said this:

"The biggest reason why I signed a new deal was because of the club’s impending return to Darlington and all the potential that goes with it. I have been approached by a Football League club and a Vanarama National League club in the last six months, and I have turned them both down for that reason. My desire for this club is far greater than the opportunities which came up."

The National League club was York.

I think the "desire" started to seep away a few weeks ago and his head was elsewhere as we chucked away a shedload of points and a cup run.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:39 pm

LoidLucan wrote:In October last year when he signed his contract extension, Gray said this:

"The biggest reason why I signed a new deal was because of the club’s impending return to Darlington and all the potential that goes with it. I have been approached by a Football League club and a Vanarama National League club in the last six months, and I have turned them both down for that reason. My desire for this club is far greater than the opportunities which came up."

The National League club was York.

I think the "desire" started to seep away a few weeks ago and his head was elsewhere as we chucked away a shedload of points and a cup run.
Plus, I would guess, a realisation that he was damaging his reputation with this seasons performances, and that if we kept slipping down the table he may not get as many job offers going forwards.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:55 pm

Plus all the numpties getting on his back because we weren't blowing teams away

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:58 pm

Well if he can’t cope with a bit of criticism then he won’t last very long in the pro game!

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:59 am

Now the compo has been agreed it’s clear this was set up for a while.

The fans have been stitched up here and clearly we have been lied to, the worrying question for me now is how long has this been set up?

Will be interesting to see if Bartlett moves on. If he does then it wouldn’t surprise me if this has been in the pipeline since sacking off his FT job to keep playing.

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:40 am

I was told a few months back by martin himself that something was coming off in october but he never said exactly what. 1st of october he signs for york city

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:51 am

Craig09 wrote:I was told a few months back by martin himself that something was coming off in october but he never said exactly what. 1st of october he signs for york city
Seriously? A few months ago? York City could have been top of the league now based on predictions a few months ago.

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:47 am

lo36789 wrote:
Craig09 wrote:I was told a few months back by martin himself that something was coming off in october but he never said exactly what. 1st of october he signs for york city
Seriously? A few months ago? York City could have been top of the league now based on predictions a few months ago.

Yes that was his words to me, he comes into my work place i actually thought it might of been investment

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:04 am

So what you are saying is a few months ago. In July / August - before the season had even started and before Mills had even managed a competitive game. That York City told Martin Gray that on the 1st October they would sack their manager and then appoint him alongside Dave Penney. And that Martin Gray then covertly disclosed this all to you because he comes into your work place.

You are sticking with that as a real thing?

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:19 am

lo36789 wrote:So what you are saying is a few months ago. In July / August - before the season had even started and before Mills had even managed a competitive game. That York City told Martin Gray that on the 1st October they would sack their manager and then appoint him alongside Dave Penney. And that Martin Gray then covertly disclosed this all to you because he comes into your work place.

You are sticking with that as a real thing?

I didn't say it was right but come on use your loaf here, gray was totally pissed that we never had our seats in place for the playoffs. He even said on BBC Tees last night he got disillusioned with the club because of the seats. He was even approached by clubs end of last season but in my opinion york gave mills till october to see how results went but they had martin lined up from day one as a replacement if mills got the chop.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:25 am

As an aside, what has Penney been up to since leaving Southend? Has he been employed at another club?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:29 am

Spyman wrote:As an aside, what has Penney been up to since leaving Southend? Has he been employed at another club?
He was assistant manager at Guiseley last season. Left when their manager was sacked earlier this season.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:39 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Spyman wrote:As an aside, what has Penney been up to since leaving Southend? Has he been employed at another club?
He was assistant manager at Guiseley last season. Left when their manager was sacked earlier this season.
Ah ok. I wondered whether he might have had something to do with the approach from a League club. Obviously not.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:31 am

Jill Gray was added as a director of MGFA on Sep 4th this year.

I wonder if Martin Gray wanted someone to take over the day to dy running of the academy because he knew there was a full-time managerial position coming his way?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:43 am

Nah, can't be so. As we now know, the first Gray knew about York was between Saturday night and Sunday morning. He then moved quickly to have an interview, sort out with Penney, jack in his Darlo job, arrange the unveiling, fully assess the York squad, identify where it needed strengthening and sort out his targets. And all that before Monday morning after getting back from Curzon at around 8pm on the Saturday. No word of a lie.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:51 am

LoidLucan wrote:Nah, can't be so. As we now know, the first Gray knew about York was between Saturday night and Sunday morning. He then moved quickly to have an interview, sort out with Penney, jack in his Darlo job, arrange the unveiling, fully assess the York squad, identify where it needed strengthening and sort out his targets. And all that before Monday morning after getting back from Curzon at around 8pm on the Saturday. No word of a lie.
You are of course correct. The preparation for the Curzon game was totally meticulous, and he definitely wasn't busy doing other things.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:27 pm

Mills was given 12 games apparently and lost the last 2.
Wonder if Gray gets the same , some hot heads down there 4 pro licence hot heads together including Parkin can't see it lasting.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:38 pm

roadrunner wrote:Mills was given 12 games apparently and lost the last 2.
Wonder if Gray gets the same , some hot heads down there 4 pro licence hot heads together including Parkin can't see it lasting.
Would we want him back then? :lol:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:50 pm

Can`t see Parkin lasting either

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:09 pm

Perhaps York have got them all on zero-hours contracts? ;)

Trike1

Post by Trike1 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:26 pm

no poppy not after the way this has played out