Martin Gray - my recollection.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Martin Gray - my recollection.

Post by princes town » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:47 am

I've been around football for a few years and I don't think in all my time have I seen anybody with such singular drive and passion. I recollect a sky TV guy telling me that if you've ever been in a meeting with Murdoch you experience something incredibly profound and passionate. You may not like him but he was always full on. I always found this with Martin. On the field, interviews and around the tunnel area everything had to be done properly or else . I dont think that this singular ambition sat well with the club which is still very much a work in progress, mistakes will be made and where the key priorities are off the field. The relationship was simply unsustainable. For a while, I thought the different aspirations (I'm ok, you ok)could be reconciled but it was the shocking fans forum where I had the bleak realisation that never the twain shall meet. The organisation simply could not keep up with mg vision without cutting financial corners so I feel no bitterness about his exit as it was an inevitable breakdown.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Martin did very well at York. He is highly rated by a lot of insiders. The big challenge is how Martin handles expectations and inevitable twitter meltdown at York. Will he be able to stamp his identity on this club on and off the field. I suspect he will suffer restrictions of a different kind. York is a different beast altogether

DarloDave40
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Martin Gray - my recollection.

Post by DarloDave40 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:27 am

Big difference off the field is you are relying on unpaid volunteers who have day jobs until that changes mistakes imo will happen.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:14 am

Can't argue with any of that. It's no doubt the drive and determination was instrumental in gaining the promotions we did so quickly and no coincidence that multiple players have remarked on the professionalism of the set up under MG - that's something we mustn't lose.

Whilst we were the big fish in the pond and in need of a speedy rise up the leagues to an ecceptable level he was a good fit - him being the strongest character at the club did mean that we flirted with financial instability as he often got what he wanted in terms of money to spend on players.

As we've reached a level where in order to progress we need to invest off the pitch in order to move forward on it at a slower rate than previously his fierce ambition no longer aligns to our objectives. We've simply outgrown each other and will not be forced at any cost, based on previous experience to recklessly try and reach a level for which we're not yet ready.

I think it's that realisation amongst our fan base that has meant that his departure has been met with a certain acceptance.

In York City he has the type of set up he has clearly craved for the last 18 months - a full time operation with a huge budget for the level subsidised by a benefactor. Clearly expectation will be very high and if promotion isn't gained this season that will probably change really quickly and the Club may well end up part time with a vastly reduced budget and a huge rebuilding job so it's probably promotion or bust for him.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:20 am

I never really took a liking to Gray. Not as a player and not as a manager. When we had success with our promotions, I never considered him to be the sole architect. It was everyone, the players, the volunteers, the people back stage sorting the money, and the fans.

To me, he came across as surly and unapproachable and I wouldn’t have wanted him as my manager, - mind you, he wouldn’t have wanted me as a player, so I’m sure the feeling is mutual.

There is a way of doing things, and if it turns out that he’s stitched us up in the manner of his leaving - then I’m sorry but I don’t wish him well, as we are short of funds (as he knows) and in a bad run of form, which he is (or was) responsible for.

Anyway, I’m glad he’s gone. It was becoming ALL about him, Martin Gray - the proverbial tail wagging the proverbial dog.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:44 am

divas wrote:Can't argue with any of that. It's no doubt the drive and determination was instrumental in gaining the promotions we did so quickly and no coincidence that multiple players have remarked on the professionalism of the set up under MG - that's something we mustn't lose.

Whilst we were the big fish in the pond and in need of a speedy rise up the leagues to an ecceptable level he was a good fit - him being the strongest character at the club did mean that we flirted with financial instability as he often got what he wanted in terms of money to spend on players.

As we've reached a level where in order to progress we need to invest off the pitch in order to move forward on it at a slower rate than previously his fierce ambition no longer aligns to our objectives. We've simply outgrown each other and will not be forced at any cost, based on previous experience to recklessly try and reach a level for which we're not yet ready.

I think it's that realisation amongst our fan base that has meant that his departure has been met with a certain acceptance.

In York City he has the type of set up he has clearly craved for the last 18 months - a full time operation with a huge budget for the level subsidised by a benefactor. Clearly expectation will be very high and if promotion isn't gained this season that will probably change really quickly and the Club may well end up part time with a vastly reduced budget and a huge rebuilding job so it's probably promotion or bust for him.

So MG gone will you be returning as chairman on the DFCSG ?

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:15 am

princes town - That's the best overview of Martin Gray's tenure I've read so far. Well put.

Darlo-and-Back

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:36 am

That’s one way of spinning it..

broadsexile

Post by broadsexile » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:47 am

I think quite a lot of what Princes Town is saying up there is true but doesn't fully explore something which is perhaps important. While managers like Gray - and he fits a non-league stereotype, the 'man of singular vision' hauling club up from the regional leagues almost through force of will - inevitably have to move on when their club reaches a level where it's overextending its supply lines, they often get found out once they've left. This is because it's only at smaller clubs, i.e. ones with volunteer staff, that they get as much remit to impose their 'vision' more or less unopposed - there's far less scope for a clash of egos. At York, Gray will have to deal with Penney - who he's historically played second-fiddle to, and will be trying to shrug off his reputation as yesterday's man - McGill and McNamara, not to mention some relatively big-name players like Parkin. It's all fair weather when you're berating a few volunteers doing it for the love and half your players are ex-Northern Leaguers whose loyalty you've earned, but that's not what he's going to get at York and I think he might get found out big-time. Furthermore, I hope he does.

Gazzadfc

Post by Gazzadfc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:52 am

MGs big test could be next season if York city don't get promoted and they decide to become part time, guessing MG will have established this before signing, but then again we see comments like "we must get promotion this season" which may prove otherwise.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:24 am

If promotion at York isn't achieved this season Gray must fear his position wil be under threat hence SG and BA staying up here to keep the academy going then if it does go wrong he has still got a job to go back to. If he does win promotion he gets a long term contract and sells the academy. Covering all options by the look of it.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:26 am

Do long term contracts mean anything in football?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:10 pm

princes town wrote:I've been around football for a few years and I don't think in all my time have I seen anybody with such singular drive and passion. I recollect a sky TV guy telling me that if you've ever been in a meeting with Murdoch you experience something incredibly profound and passionate. You may not like him but he was always full on. I always found this with Martin. On the field, interviews and around the tunnel area everything had to be done properly or else . I dont think that this singular ambition sat well with the club which is still very much a work in progress, mistakes will be made and where the key priorities are off the field. The relationship was simply unsustainable. For a while, I thought the different aspirations (I'm ok, you ok)could be reconciled but it was the shocking fans forum where I had the bleak realisation that never the twain shall meet. The organisation simply could not keep up with mg vision without cutting financial corners so I feel no bitterness about his exit as it was an inevitable breakdown.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Martin did very well at York. He is highly rated by a lot of insiders. The big challenge is how Martin handles expectations and inevitable twitter meltdown at York. Will he be able to stamp his identity on this club on and off the field. I suspect he will suffer restrictions of a different kind. York is a different beast altogether
Can't disagree with what you've said, but I would add that he seems to have had a complete disregard for the financial aspects of the club rather than his own player budget for the whole of his tenure. That has to be addressed for all future managers.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:44 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:I never really took a liking to Gray. Not as a player and not as a manager. When we had success with our promotions, I never considered him to be the sole architect. It was everyone, the players, the volunteers, the people back stage sorting the money, and the fans.

To me, he came across as surly and unapproachable and I wouldn’t have wanted him as my manager, - mind you, he wouldn’t have wanted me as a player, so I’m sure the feeling is mutual.

There is a way of doing things, and if it turns out that he’s stitched us up in the manner of his leaving - then I’m sorry but I don’t wish him well, as we are short of funds (as he knows) and in a bad run of form, which he is (or was) responsible for.

Anyway, I’m glad he’s gone. It was becoming ALL about him, Martin Gray - the proverbial tail wagging the proverbial dog.
Both this (this is my view of MG as well) and princes town are right in what they say. However I disagree with princes town last paragraph. I think MG was still learning to manage at this level, and our recent results suggest he might get found out. I would be surprised if he is successful at York.............but the again I have been wrong before! :thumbup: The MG Fan club have gone very quiet why no predictions of the end of the world etc?

en passant

Post by en passant » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:42 pm

QuakerPete wrote:
princes town wrote:I've been around football for a few years and I don't think in all my time have I seen anybody with such singular drive and passion. I recollect a sky TV guy telling me that if you've ever been in a meeting with Murdoch you experience something incredibly profound and passionate. You may not like him but he was always full on. I always found this with Martin. On the field, interviews and around the tunnel area everything had to be done properly or else . I dont think that this singular ambition sat well with the club which is still very much a work in progress, mistakes will be made and where the key priorities are off the field. The relationship was simply unsustainable. For a while, I thought the different aspirations (I'm ok, you ok)could be reconciled but it was the shocking fans forum where I had the bleak realisation that never the twain shall meet. The organisation simply could not keep up with mg vision without cutting financial corners so I feel no bitterness about his exit as it was an inevitable breakdown.

Can't disagree with what you've said, but I would add that he seems to have had a complete disregard for the financial aspects of the club rather than his own player budget for the whole of his tenure. That has to be addressed for all future managers.
Which is why, when Singh was interested in coming on board, the proffered money was only for the playing budget. Again all about getting MG to where he wanted to go.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:44 pm

Craig09 wrote:
divas wrote:Can't argue with any of that. It's no doubt the drive and determination was instrumental in gaining the promotions we did so quickly and no coincidence that multiple players have remarked on the professionalism of the set up under MG - that's something we mustn't lose.

You'll have to wait until the DFCSG AGM to find that out.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:24 pm

divas wrote:
Craig09 wrote:

I thought people could just be co-opted on to the board at any time ;)
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:18 pm

Spyman wrote:
divas wrote:
Craig09 wrote:

I thought people could just be co-opted on to the board at any time ;)
Do have to say, I'd be over the moon if Wayne took up the post again.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:30 pm

Will echo that, now the dust has settled he may find dealing with Brian and Sean slightly less stressful.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:49 pm

Vote Divas!!!!

bga

Post by bga » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:59 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Vote Divas!!!!
Seconded!
Slightly off topic but does Sean still live over near Preston anyone?

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:11 pm

If he wants to then I couldn't think of anyone better. Just hope the position hasn't taken its toll

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:58 pm

QuakerPete wrote:

. I think at our level you do have be able to grasp the wider organisation. The big picture and this was his weakness as he was so focused on the footballing stuff.