Atkinson and Gregan gone

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Atkinson and Gregan gone

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:56 pm

I'm sure MG specifically wrote a sub-section into his contract that absolved him from any conflict of interest if he joined a club whose name began with Y.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:57 pm

Quakerlad wrote:And there we have it, like I said a couple of days ago to all those who thought it for the best and good riddance to Gray, good riddance to talk of investment etc etc . Club unstable and a laughing stock yet again......no manager, no coaches, no plan, no stand, no money.......and soon no best players........and yet a lot of you still think it's for the best.!
Could have all looked so so different.
what if we bent over and took it up the bum from Singh. No thanks.

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:57 pm

We quickly need to unravel the unholy alliance between DFC & MGFA.

If as suggested we have been paying for management services we may want to check any SLA that were in place to see if they were fully complied with.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:Probably the bigger question was why did the league allow MG to become manager of another club and create the conflict of interest in the first place. He should have been the one asked to resign, not Brian Atkinson.
Mr Tibbs - The answer lies in the title "Martin Gray football Academy"

Gray is the Grande Fromage, that's the way he rolls, if any problems arose around a conflict of interests he would have Atkinson deleted.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:08 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mr_Tibbs wrote:Probably the bigger question was why did the league allow MG to become manager of another club and create the conflict of interest in the first place. He should have been the one asked to resign, not Brian Atkinson.

Gray is the Grande Fromage, that's the way he rolls, if any problems arose around a conflict of interests he would have Atkinson deleted.
But as things stood the league allowed Martin Gray to become manager of a rival club which created a conflict of interest with personnel at DFC.

I think the league is at fault for having no safeguard in place to prevent such a conflict arising - yes, it could have been resolved and conflicting links severed before he joined York (if things had taken longer than 2 hours or so) but, because there wasn't and the conflict arose the league should not have asked OUR manager to resign - they should have asked York's.

We've been screwed over by the league here.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:13 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

But as things stood the league allowed Martin Gray to become manager of a rival club which created a conflict of interest with personnel at DFC.

I think the league is at fault for having no safeguard in place to prevent such a conflict arising - yes, it could have been resolved and conflicting links severed before he joined York (if things had taken longer than 2 hours or so) but, because there wasn't and the conflict arose the league should not have asked OUR manager to resign - they should have asked York's.

To be fair, they discussed an awful lot in those 2 hours, if the official time line provided by Gray is to be believed.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:13 pm

Mr Tibbs - you're making a tit of yourself.

Please pause for breath and think through what you're typing before bashing at the keyboard .
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:14 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

You could look at it that way ---

Just a little thought.

Gray's actions have resulted in two of his best friends losing their (part time) jobs!

Ouch.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:25 pm

This, whilst embarrassing, is a blessing in disguise.

We need the MGFA links to be completely removed before all concerned can move on.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Mr Tibbs - you're making a tit of yourself.

Please pause for breath and think through what you're typing before bashing at the keyboard .
Thank you for you kind concern, expressed with your usual eloquence.

I'm right though.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:43 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Mr Tibbs - you're making a tit of yourself.

Thank you for you kind concern, expressed with your usual eloquence.

I'm right though.
No you're not. You've just asked the league to forcibly remove a manager from his position because he happens to run a part-time business.

No matter how much you squeal - we didn't do enough due diligence in the first place. Why wasn't it considered before we announced Atkinson as joint-manager?

Hysterically blaming others for our own failings is childish tit-like behaviour.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:45 pm

Let lie Gramps, let it lie.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:46 pm

Am I missing something here? Why was MG allowed to be DFC manager for the last 5 years and a director at the MGFA? Isn't that a conflict of interests? Why would moving to York make any difference? Sorry if I've missed anything obvious.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:50 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Am I missing something here? Why was MG allowed to be DFC manager for the last 5 years and a director at the MGFA? Isn't that a conflict of interests? Why would moving to York make any difference? Sorry if I've missed anything obvious.
It's more that Atkinson and Gregan were employees of his. Obviously it's not an issue if they're all at the same club.

But at different clubs, it risked undermining the competition. Gray could have used that relationship to his own advantage, hence why it was against rules.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:52 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:Let lie Gramps, let it lie.
Ha, if you spout illogical rubbish, I'll call you out on it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:54 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Am I missing something here? Why was MG allowed to be DFC manager for the last 5 years and a director at the MGFA? Isn't that a conflict of interests? Why would moving to York make any difference? Sorry if I've missed anything obvious.
It's more that Atkinson and Gregan were employees of his. It risked undermining the competition. Gray could have used that relationship to his own advantage, hence why it was against rules.
and, as Divas said on another thread, the arrangement with MG/MGFA was a good fit for us at the time. There wasn't any conflict while we were all pulling in the same direction.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:59 pm

Not the best in the short term but convinced the club will be better for it in the long run.

Fair play to Brown and Turnbull for having the balls to step in short term.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:01 pm

What we need as much as anything is to hope someone comes forward to support the board as if the CEO also leaves, which is likely, we essentially have one man with support from the supporters group running the whole club. Pretty stressful for sure given the current challenges and he is to be applauded.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:17 pm

This is no real surprise. As has been said I thought Gregan & Atkinson were both employees of MGFA so I was a little uncomfortable with the appointment from the outset.

Hardy is my choice. Nice guy to boot and plays an attractive style of football if he is tied to a contract at Whitby until end of next season that is unfortunate as I am not sure we have the means to pay him out of it!

That is if wants to come here but I'd have thought even at their best Whitby are a top half NPLPD side so we should be a step up. If he is a partner in a firm that should mean he can get some flexibility with work for the longer distance games.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:20 pm

From the very start I thought the MGFA was an issue as potentially he could have been using the club to progress his own players.
On a separate note I know someone who’s path crossed with Martin and lets just say Martin didn’t play by the rules in trying to get his own way.
A fresh reboot is required and I’m sure there will be plenty of interest.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:25 pm

Hardy's contract expires next year, not at the end of next season.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:42 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Hardy's contract expires next year, not at the end of next season.
I doubt it would cost much to buy him out then because he won't be on big money at Whitby, I'd be surprised if he was on more than a couple of hundred a week.

Right now we are saving on Gray, Gregan, and Atkinsons wages. Should put us in a good position to make a decent offer?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

shadwellman

Post by shadwellman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:44 pm

I see that we have missed out on Harry Rednapp who is acting now as a Consultant for Yeovil

bga

Post by bga » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:42 pm

theoriginalcount wrote:There is a kind of Dunkirk spirit coming out of all this mess and this clear out is perhaps what was needed for us to progress.

Gray has gone, and with it leaves a legacy for which we are grateful, but the way it was handled leaves a bitter taste in the mouths of most fans, many like me who kept digging deep to meet the various financial targets (and will still do).

It seems as though Atkinson and Gregan will be following their leader to York and with hindsight, it all starts to fall into place. Whenever I spoke to Martin, I felt an air of intimidation and he seemed to rule with the sword. My way or the highway and the way his two coaches operated, they were never in a position to question what he did. Gregan seemed as if he didn't care, and Atkinson's demeanour told you he wasn't that serious about it!

What this opportunity does give is for that team spirit to shine through. In Turnbull and Brown, they may lack managerial experience but you cannot question their commitment to Darlington FC. Both are leaders on the pitch and will play through the pain barriers for their team. Lump Cartman into that as well and it is these lads who now have the chance to rally the team, whatever is left of it, and give what they can for the cause.

I'll be there Saturday as usual, and even if we lose 10-0, I shall applaud each and every one of them off, because you know what they say - when the going gets tough...

Gray and his henchmen have gone, thanks for the memories, but we won't be sending you Christmas cards, this is the latest new order in Darlington's long and turbulent history, let's make the most of it.
I agree your third paragraph regards how much (or little) Gregan & Atkinson contributed. I posted on another thread the other day, I was amused that their "Appointment announcement" said they had a number of fresh ideas to take the club forward, so I questioned why they had not suggested these in the last 5 years? In reality I think they were very much "Yes" men, so I am not disappointed they have left, we need a fresh approach. Gregan's reason for leaving is laughable.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:49 pm

I expect Gregan and Atkinson to turn up at York.
If Gregan had any ambitions to be a manager this was his opportunity.
But at least we can move on quickly.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Blackwell64

Post by Blackwell64 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:12 pm

I'd assume the distance Gregan travels to get to Darlington on a regular basis meant that while with Atkinson he was happy to share the load, but with him being sole manager this would mean he possibly would have to move closer, in which longer job security is needed? Just a theory.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:43 pm

lo36789 wrote:This is no real surprise. As has been said I thought Gregan & Atkinson were both employees of MGFA so I was a little uncomfortable with the appointment from the outset.

Hardy is my choice. Nice guy to boot and plays an attractive style of football if he is tied to a contract at Whitby until end of next season that is unfortunate as I am not sure we have the means to pay him out of it!

That is if wants to come here but I'd have thought even at their best Whitby are a top half NPLPD side so we should be a step up. If he is a partner in a firm that should mean he can get some flexibility with work for the longer distance games.
Well, from what we've seen over the past few days it should be simple. He can just resign and come to Darlo for free!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:51 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote: I expect Gregan and Atkinson to turn up at York.
I don't. York are far too much a big club to want them. ;)
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:10 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

I said this earlier.

Gray created the conflict.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:14 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
It's more that Atkinson and Gregan were employees of his. Obviously it's not an issue if they're all at the same club.

But at different clubs, it risked undermining the competition. Gray could have used that relationship to his own advantage, hence why it was against rules.
Atkinson is listed as a director though.

By leaving DFC, surely Gray created the conflict. Atkinson didn't change his circumstances. He continued to be employed by DFC. Gray's circumstances changed. So surely he either has to forfeit managing a club that employs one of his employees, or he sacks that employee?

What would be your take on it if Atkinson had remained as our assistant manager to someone else?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC