New manager poll

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Who do you want

Alun Armstrong
7%
Chris Hardy
44%
Alan White
8%
Billy Miller
2%
Craig Hignett
6%
Matthew Bates
No votes
Ronnie Moore
7%
Mark Bower
2%
Neil Maddison
9%
LoidLucan
14%

Total votes: 85

The Golden Hairclip
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:24 am

Whitby isn't in the 'north east'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:40 am

The Golden Hairclip wrote:Whitby isn't in the 'north east'

Of course its in the North East, I don’t know if the club means Whitby but it would be certainly classed as the North East of England.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:59 am

Darlofan97 wrote:"Since missing out on the aforementioned managerial candidates, The Northern Echo understands Quakers have this week approached a North-East club for permission to speak to their manager."

Hardy?
Sounds like Hardy to me, of course Whitby is in the north east.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:10 am

Only alternatives in the North East are Ainsley at Spennymoor or Fenton/Picton at S.Shields.

So barring a major surprise it'll be Hardy who's being referred to.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:28 am

Liverpool and Manchester are in the North West and more south than Hull. HUll is 63 miles south of Whitby so clearly Whitby is in the North East. I fear another Fylde FC is on the coast discussion is imminent!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:41 am

If Whitby isn't in the North East - where is it?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:44 am

This thread is now up to 14 pages! This latest nugget has got to be good for at least another 2 :lol:

On a more serious note, in the words of the faithful, let us pray :thumbup:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:48 am

There is a body of opinion that regards the North East's southern boundry being the river Tees. Anything south of Tees being Yorkshire including Whitby.

Radar

Post by Radar » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:07 am

North East is a big area, possibly;

Paul Jenkins - Hartlepool
Chris Hardy - Whitby Town
Carl Jarrett - Marske United

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:15 am

Surely the board are aiming high and have approached Simon Grayson - it would be a step up for him to manage a club with money and potential to move up instead of down. A club that doesn't have to give away 1000s of tickets free to school children and their parents/ teachers to get a crowd

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:18 am

Whitby is in North Yorkshire, which isn't the North-East region. Having said that, I agree that he's probably referring to Hardy.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:19 am

banktopp wrote:There is a body of opinion that regards the North East's southern boundry being the river Tees. Anything south of Tees being Yorkshire including Whitby.
I'd count Whitby as north east, but there's loads of clubs we could have approached in the north-east, we haven't necessarily contacted Whitby.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:22 am

I think at this point and given the number of times his name has been mentioned on here if I was on the board I would be making an enquiry for Hardy, even if it was just so I could say we tried to get him but Whitby/Hardy turned us down.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:24 am

Hardy would be the obvious name. Technically Whitby isn't in the NE, but I think most people do count the NE as stretching into Yorkshire.

It's either Hardy or someone from the Northern League - no idea who's good in that league, and who simply has money. Won't be Ainsley or Picton/Fenton, won't be Hartlepool's assistant as it says manager, won't be Armstrong at Blyth :lol:

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:29 am

al_quaker wrote:Hardy would be the obvious name. Technically Whitby isn't in the NE, but I think most people do count the NE as stretching into Yorkshire.

It's either Hardy or someone from the Northern League - no idea who's good in that league, and who simply has money. Won't be Ainsley or Picton/Fenton, won't be Hartlepool's assistant as it says manager, won't be Armstrong at Blyth :lol:
How can anyone say Whitby isn't in the North East ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Think before posting

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:35 am

BUSHEAD wrote:
al_quaker wrote:Hardy would be the obvious name. Technically Whitby isn't in the NE, but I think most people do count the NE as stretching into Yorkshire.

Because 'North East' is both a technical division of England and a more colloquial term. Technically, the North East includes no parts of Yorkshire, as Yorkshire is a separate subdivision of England.

Interesting stuff I know :lol:

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:42 am

I think you've all made a terrible mistake. It doesn't say north east england! Please welcome new DFC manager Zhao Junzhe from Liaoning Whowin F.C. of the Chinese Super League. Finished 11th of 16 teams last season and see's this as a great opportunity to test him self in england.

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:50 pm

JE93 wrote:I think you've all made a terrible mistake. It doesn't say north east england! Please welcome new DFC manager Zhao Junzhe from Liaoning Whowin F.C. of the Chinese Super League. Finished 11th of 16 teams last season and see's this as a great opportunity to test him self in england.
Has links with Darlo because we were going to play against him in a tour over there during preseason a few years back ;)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:03 pm

al_quaker wrote:
BUSHEAD wrote:

Because 'North East' is both a technical division of England and a more colloquial term. Technically, the North East includes no parts of Yorkshire, as Yorkshire is a separate subdivision of England.

Interesting stuff I know :lol:
Yes al, very interesting and I think you could have nailed it here - and answered my question from above.

So to go through it again, although Whitby is Northerly and Easterly, it isn't normally judged to be in the 'North East" as it is in Yorkshire, and as we all know Yorkshire type people are a different type of people to North East type people.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:15 pm

Middlesbrough is in North Yorkshire, it's in Teesside, it's in the North East.

Nobody would claim that Middlesbrough is not in the North East.

So being in North Yorkshire doesn't necessarily exclude a town from being in the "North East"

Look at a map and see that Whitby is almost as far north as Middlesbrough.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:19 pm

FFS - is there nothing more important to debate than where the boundary of the north East is?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:20 pm

Quakerz wrote:Middlesbrough is in North Yorkshire, it's in Teesside, it's in the North East.

Nobody would claim that Middlesbrough is not in the North East.

So being in North Yorkshire doesn't necessarily exclude a town from being in the "North East"

Look at a map and see that Whitby is almost as far north as Middlesbrough.
Not to mention even more almost as far north as Darlington!

And Whitby is further east than Middlesbrough is north.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:27 pm

I am not getting involved in geography again.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:28 pm

I'd happily describe quite a bit of North Yorkshire as north east. Northallerton is quite definitely in the north east, for example. So is Whitby.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Wiki seems to think the North East comprises Northumberland, County Durham, Tyne and Wear and the area of the former county of Cleveland.
Definately no Whitby.
Also, in common parlance and geographically, more of North Yorkshire would be regarded as part of North East England.
Definately Whitby.
Looks like everyones right then. Mind you Wiki probably still has us a 1883.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:45 pm

Actually Spen, although I often find your input interesting and sometimes slightly amusing or annoying this is our forum and if we wish to debate geographical differences of opinion rather than total conjecture over our future manager we will! Is Whitby in the Midlands as that's the next bit heading South? It's definitely on the coast though! Lo, you live in the north west don't you?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:11 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Actually Spen, although I often find your input interesting and sometimes slightly amusing or annoying this is our forum and if we wish to debate geographical differences of opinion rather than total conjecture over our future manager we will! ....

I don't think anyone is trying to stop you debating geographical differences of opinion

Always happy to have a pointless debate

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:12 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:It's definitely on the coast though! Lo, you live in the north west don't you?
Yep. I'm led to believe he lives on the Fylde coast....
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:27 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:It's definitely on the coast though! Lo, you live in the north west don't you?
Yep. I'm led to believe he lives on the Fylde coast....
I would categorise Crosby as North West indeed and I would also categorise myself as living on the coast...although I am not actually sure the specific point where sea starts and river ends.

broadsexile

Post by broadsexile » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:55 pm

'North East' = 'you got Tyne Tees rather than Yorkshire in the 1980s/ 1990s' as far as I'm concerned or 'if you have a Football League team, they get covered on Look North'* There's definitely a slice of North Yorkshire running round from Swaledale across to Northallerton, round the Cleveland coast and down at least as far as Whitby - maybe even Scarborough as an extreme point - that I'd regard as being in the North-East using these rules.

Hardy probably, then, but I wonder if the club might be trying to test whether Ainsley wants to swap one set of ground-grading issues for another. Failing that, it's the Northern League as I don't think Fenton/ Picton are going to leave their big mountain of money anytime soon.

* Carlisle are the only exceptions here.