New manager poll

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Who do you want

Alun Armstrong
7%
Chris Hardy
44%
Alan White
8%
Billy Miller
2%
Craig Hignett
6%
Matthew Bates
No votes
Ronnie Moore
7%
Mark Bower
2%
Neil Maddison
9%
LoidLucan
14%

Total votes: 85

quaker4life
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by quaker4life » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:01 pm

I reckon we should get the cheque book out and pay Big Mike off to get Rafa Benitez from Newcastle.

Failing that what's Simon Davey up to these days?
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:27 pm

Disappointing.

Why is Michael Bridges not an option?

Or the bloke walking his dog past the arena?

Do I win a crisp £5 note?

Or is this the wrong thread?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:43 am

Quakerz wrote:It was said that Hardy's contract runs out next year, so that could be January (he joined Whitby in December 15)

It might not cost us much in compensation if he only has 2 or 3 months left and he's not going to be on a lot of money at Whitby...

I voted Hardy in this poll, but I see Whitby are midtable this season so maybe he's not the miracle worker that everyone thinks he is?

I'm surprised that Alun Armstrong has hardly got any votes as he's doing a great job at Blyth and they don't have a huge budget. They have some very good players, Dale, Maguire, Rivers, Buddle etc..
His contract is bound to run out at the end of this season, you never give a contract to a manager that runs out mid season.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:11 am

To be fair asking for CVs could just be an attempt to extend the pool beyond what we 'know'. It doesn't mean we have to appoint someone who hands their CV in and doesn't stop us approaching other managers as well.

Hardy is working with limited resources at Whitby. I don't believe he is a miracle worker - I am not sure we need a miracle worker we have a top 10 budget in this division.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:36 am

I think, as a whistle blower, you really like him because of this..... ;)

http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/off ... -1-8534434

Sounds just like Martin Gray, not.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:49 pm

Currently 34 applications of which 8 are deemed very impressive.

Interesting times, feels like the club is getting a reboot.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:22 am

Come on then spill the beans, some of the names are bound to be leaked to the press. It would be nice to hear something on hear before it gets in the paper.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:07 am

Surprised there is no mention of Mr Q. He remains loyal to the club and has at least as much idea on tactics as anyone

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:11 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Quakerz wrote:It was said that Hardy's contract runs out next year, so that could be January (he joined Whitby in December 15)

It might not cost us much in compensation if he only has 2 or 3 months left and he's not going to be on a lot of money at Whitby...

I voted Hardy in this poll, but I see Whitby are midtable this season so maybe he's not the miracle worker that everyone thinks he is?

I'm surprised that Alun Armstrong has hardly got any votes as he's doing a great job at Blyth and they don't have a huge budget. They have some very good players, Dale, Maguire, Rivers, Buddle etc..
His contract is bound to run out at the end of this season, you never give a contract to a manager that runs out mid season.
Contracts mean nothing. I can think of one manager at least who ran out mid-season. ;)

Actually, this could be turned into a massive TV game show or series like X Factor. Could be a big earner for the club.
Oh wait a minute, don't the National League have copyright and end up with all the royalties?

One thing for sure, you could NOT make this sorry saga up....

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:57 am

I'm getting the strong impression that although it has been a difficult and chaotic time for us, the club could well emerge in a better place at the end of it all. I feel very positive about the future, both on the pitch and off.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:32 am

LoidLucan wrote:I'm getting the strong impression that although it has been a difficult and chaotic time for us, the club could well emerge in a better place at the end of it all. I feel very positive about the future, both on the pitch and off.
Totally agree Lucan, the lads certainly don't appear gutted Gray has gone, this seems to be coming through looking at tweets and listening to the 3 interviews after the game.As you say, for financial as well as playing reasons, this could be a blessing in disguise, the football was miles better yesterday, more like how the game should be played.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:54 am

jjljks wrote:Surprised there is no mention of Mr Q. He remains loyal to the club and has at least as much idea on tactics as anyone
And a bigger head than Gray.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:55 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
jjljks wrote:Surprised there is no mention of Mr Q. He remains loyal to the club and has at least as much idea on tactics as anyone
If
Is that actually possible?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:02 am

Mr Q's head is HUGE.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:14 am

One of the candidates apparently has international managerial experience.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:18 am

Depends what 'International' means. Coaching a nation or coaching a club abroad. If it is abroad, John Carver used to coach Toronto. Just a guess though.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:25 am

Nigel Worthington is a name that has been mentioned.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:48 am

LoidLucan wrote:I'm getting the strong impression that although it has been a difficult and chaotic time for us, the club could well emerge in a better place at the end of it all. I feel very positive about the future, both on the pitch and off.
Great speech.
Use it next week in your interview for managers job, the job will be yours.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:59 am

Despite the massive groundswell of support, I reluctantly decided to withdraw my application once I became aware that Pep Guardiola is over for an informal chat about the job at the Three Squares cafe on Wednesday morning. I've seen his CV and the bit about being able to make the best of limited resources is hard to compete with.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:03 pm

Would John Carver or Nigel Worthington want to be employed on a part-time basis?

Also, John Carver's managerial record is s***, really s***. He should be nowhere near this club.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Carver, Wilcox, Worthington, Hignett, Williams etc would all be under-whelming appointments for me.

Chris Hardy from Whitby gets my bet. Saved Whitby from relegation in 15/16 by picking up 30 points after taking over mid-season. Finished 2 points outside the play-offs last season too. Struggling a bit this season, but to be expected after losing McTiernan & Hopson. I feel as though he could do much better with a significantly better budget & geographical location.
Exemplary conduct in the dug-out too.

Failing that, I wouldn't mind Armstrong or Bower.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:25 pm

I know Hignett had to contend with difficult issues behind the scenes at Hartlepool but here's a look at his record there....
http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/f ... -1-8335642

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:36 pm

Hardy seems to be the outstanding candidate.

Of the others I wouldn't say no to Ronnie Moore. Been around the block a few times but knows all levels of the game and will have amassed plenty of contacts over the years.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:48 pm

I just think this is a real opportunity to appoint a younger manager to develop the team for the long term.

Infrastructure-wise, we're a year or two away from being able to establish ourselves at the next level.

Therefore I think we can afford to bring in someone young who can build a good team, start bringing through youngsters like Saunders and Vaulks, and establish a philosophy.

I would love it to be Alun Armstrong - he's taken Blyth to third in this division, plays a good brand of football but can be pragmatic, is used to dealing with not having loads of cash and is well-connected in the region.

But he's on contract at Blyth and at some point he'll want to move to the Football League.

Whoever comes in must buy into the amazing spirit and togetherness that's been demonstrated these last few days. The team itself isn't miles away so only needs a couple of additions. But given there's no immediate need to go up, let's build something here rather than thinking short-term.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:14 pm

Has the club given any indication of the timescale they are working to for appointing the new boss?

Senior players covering is the only practical option but you wouldn't want it to continue for long.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Alfie wrote:Has the club given any indication of the timescale they are working to for appointing the new boss?

Senior players covering is the only practical option but you wouldn't want it to continue for long.
Interviews back end of this week coming up. So appointment in place for BPA at home I would guess. Imagine Gary & Phil in charge for Nuneaton away next Saturday.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:55 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:One of the candidates apparently has international managerial experience.
Steve Staunton part II?

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:01 pm

Darlogramps wrote:I just think this is a real opportunity to appoint a younger manager to develop the team for the long term.

Infrastructure-wise, we're a year or two away from being able to establish ourselves at the next level.

Therefore I think we can afford to bring in someone young who can build a good team, start bringing through youngsters like Saunders and Vaulks, and establish a philosophy.

I would love it to be Alun Armstrong - he's taken Blyth to third in this division, plays a good brand of football but can be pragmatic, is used to dealing with not having loads of cash and is well-connected in the region.

But he's on contract at Blyth and at some point he'll want to move to the Football League.

Whoever comes in must buy into the amazing spirit and togetherness that's been demonstrated these last few days. The team itself isn't miles away so only needs a couple of additions. But given there's no immediate need to go up, let's build something here rather than thinking short-term.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Darlofan97 wrote:Carver, Wilcox, Worthington, Hignett, Williams etc would all be under-whelming appointments for me.

Both these posts some up my thoughts, we need someone young energetic and understands where we are as a football club buy into that and take us forward, my choice would be Mark Bower, who ever gets the job it will be a case of buckle your seat belts and we are off

Chris Hardy from Whitby gets my bet. Saved Whitby from relegation in 15/16 by picking up 30 points after taking over mid-season. Finished 2 points outside the play-offs last season too. Struggling a bit this season, but to be expected after losing McTiernan & Hopson. I feel as though he could do much better with a significantly better budget & geographical location.
Exemplary conduct in the dug-out too.

Failing that, I wouldn't mind Armstrong or Bower.
Sums up my thoughts, Bower would my choice.
Last edited by Darlopartisan on Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:32 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Only just! LOL

bga

Post by bga » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:28 pm

lo36789 wrote:To be fair asking for CVs could just be an attempt to extend the pool beyond what we 'know'. It doesn't mean we have to appoint someone who hands their CV in and doesn't stop us approaching other managers as well.

Hardy is working with limited resources at Whitby. I don't believe he is a miracle worker - I am not sure we need a miracle worker we have a top 10 budget in this division.
lo I think you mean "doesn't stop us approaching other clubs about their managers as well!" Don't want to do a York City do we? Also I guess anyone submitting a CV is not currently employed, as otherwise isn't that the opposite of a club tapping up a manager i.e. a manger tapping up a club, or is that allowed?