New manager poll

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Who do you want

Alun Armstrong
7%
Chris Hardy
44%
Alan White
8%
Billy Miller
2%
Craig Hignett
6%
Matthew Bates
No votes
Ronnie Moore
7%
Mark Bower
2%
Neil Maddison
9%
LoidLucan
14%

Total votes: 85

Maurice_Peddelty
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:35 pm

bga wrote:
lo36789 wrote:To be fair asking for CVs could just be an attempt to extend the pool beyond what we 'know'. It doesn't mean we have to appoint someone who hands their CV in and doesn't stop us approaching other managers as well.

Hardy is working with limited resources at Whitby. I don't believe he is a miracle worker - I am not sure we need a miracle worker we have a top 10 budget in this division.
lo I think you mean "doesn't stop us approaching other clubs about their managers as well!" Don't want to do a York City do we? Also I guess anyone submitting a CV is not currently employed, as otherwise isn't that the opposite of a club tapping up a manager i.e. a manger tapping up a club, or is that allowed?
A club can approach another club and request permission to speak to their manager. It is up to the other club to deny or allow permission.
Unless a manager currently in employment has signed a contract that specifically excludes him from applying for posts elsewhere, I don't see why he couldn't respond to an advertisement. I'm currently employed and nothing in my contract precludes me from applying for a job elsewhere. But of course there is an issue of confidentiality. It generally doesn't go down well if your employer finds out you're looking for another opening!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:30 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
bga wrote:
lo36789 wrote:To be fair asking for CVs could just be an attempt to extend the pool beyond what we 'know'. It doesn't mean we have to appoint someone who hands their CV in and doesn't stop us approaching other managers as well.

Hardy is working with limited resources at Whitby. I don't believe he is a miracle worker - I am not sure we need a miracle worker we have a top 10 budget in this division.
lo I think you mean "doesn't stop us approaching other clubs about their managers as well!" Don't want to do a York City do we? Also I guess anyone submitting a CV is not currently employed, as otherwise isn't that the opposite of a club tapping up a manager i.e. a manger tapping up a club, or is that allowed?
A club can approach another club and request permission to speak to their manager. It is up to the other club to deny or allow permission.
Unless a manager currently in employment has signed a contract that specifically excludes him from applying for posts elsewhere, I don't see why he couldn't respond to an advertisement. I'm currently employed and nothing in my contract precludes me from applying for a job elsewhere. But of course there is an issue of confidentiality. It generally doesn't go down well if your employer finds out you're looking for another opening!
But equally, you'll work your notice period in most industries, which doesn't really apply in football.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:18 am

Apparently Hignett was at the GIS watching gateshead v Bromley on saturday and is part of the shortlist interviewing for that job.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:30 am

bga wrote:

lo I think you mean "doesn't stop us approaching other clubs about their managers as well!"
To be honest I wasn't getting into the specifics of the process. I am not even sure what 'tapping up' is anymore in football - it's not like Football Manager where you must have a bid accepted then you discuss with the player when you buy someone.

The question is always asked "look if we were interested in you - would you be interested in us?" it's basically tinder-style pre-screening - if both parties would be interested then the official routes of enquiry begin. No point us approaching a club to speak to their manager if he goes "no - absolutely would not be interested".

The initial enquiry may be via a friend of a friend ultimately.

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:28 am

lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

The initial enquiry may be via a friend of a friend ultimately.
you mean like McLaren sugested Gray to York?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:52 am

Nigel Batches Beard wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:
lo36789 wrote:The initial enquiry may be via a friend of a friend ultimately.
you mean like McLaren sugested Gray to York?
Well not strictly if that was the extent of it - but reading between the line Schteve was an enabler for a conversation.

York will have had 100% confidence that MG would take the role when they sacked their manager. They would be fools to have done otherwise.

Thankfully the Thought Police are not active so people are free to converse as they like!

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:19 pm

I honestly do not know who I want for our next manager. It is going to be a very dificult choice by those on the selection team
I do know that whoever comes in MUST listen to what a lot of the fans and players are saying regarding the style of play.
It is important to both that we stop the HOOFBALL..
.I don't have a problem with long passes to a particuler player but it has been pumped up high and mighty to no-one which leaves the fans and players frustrated..
Refreshing to read Cartmans tweets re the style of play and I know it is the same for other players.

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:21 pm

The more I hear about Chris Hardy, the more I want him as our next manager

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:31 pm

it seems that at every different level of the game the same names get bandied about for every job that comes along, my preference is for someone whose coming to us will be a step up rather than a drop down - as long as its someone who relatively baggage free I'll be happy.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:48 pm

Nigel Batches Beard wrote:it seems that at every different level of the game the same names get bandied about for every job that comes along, my preference is for someone whose coming to us will be a step up rather than a drop down - as long as its someone who relatively baggage free I'll be happy.
Agree. We're a club on the rise and so we should be looking for a manager who is also on the rise.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:13 pm

murtonquaker wrote:The more I hear about Chris Hardy, the more I want him as our next manager

Hardy for me also, although not against Armstrong or Bower either.

The experience of those three is decent enough but they are all up and coming, seem to have decent ideas/football.

Be interesting to see who has applied, after the last week you forget how appealing the role would be to an up and coming manager.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:09 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
murtonquaker wrote:The more I hear about Chris Hardy, the more I want him as our next manager

The experience of those three is decent enough but they are all up and coming, seem to have decent ideas/football.

Be interesting to see who has applied, after the last week you forget how appealing the role would be to an up and coming manager.
Yeh I've seen a few comments along the lines of "Armstrong wouldn't be interested, Blyth are doing better than us". This is very short term thinking. We have so much potential, we are a bigger club with a bigger fan base and a football league history which is still a draw for many.

DC

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:17 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote: A club can approach another club and request permission to speak to their manager.
Which is exactly what YCFC didn’t do, as far as I can make out. Nobody at DFC or YCFC, or MG himself, has said YCFC sought permission to speak to MG. Are the rules crystal clear about this kind of thing at NLN level, or are they more guidelines as to how it ought to be done?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:44 pm

biccynana wrote:
Maurice_Peddelty wrote: A club can approach another club and request permission to speak to their manager.
Which is exactly what YCFC didn’t do, as far as I can make out. Nobody at DFC or YCFC, or MG himself, has said YCFC sought permission to speak to MG. Are the rules crystal clear about this kind of thing at NLN level, or are they more guidelines as to how it ought to be done?

Our CEO said this on the recent Netcafe thing,

"The only power we held as a club was to hold him to his notice which would either leave a disgruntled manager in charge of the club or him sitting on “gardening leave” before he could join York and us with no compensation."

I can see the logic to this decision, but wouldn't of been nice to stick Gray on a fortnights "gardening leave" (see how he likes getting messed about)and let York sweat it out for a fortnight, they (York/Gray) seem to have had it all their own way.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:15 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
biccynana wrote:

Our CEO said this on the recent Netcafe thing,

"The only power we held as a club was to hold him to his notice which would either leave a disgruntled manager in charge of the club or him sitting on “gardening leave” before he could join York and us with no compensation."

I can see the logic to this decision, but wouldn't of been nice to stick Gray on a fortnights "gardening leave" (see how he likes getting messed about)and let York sweat it out for a fortnight, they (York/Gray) seem to have had it all their own way.
It would. But our luck probably would have meant York go elsewhere and we get stuck with him

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Spyman wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:

Yeh I've seen a few comments along the lines of "Armstrong wouldn't be interested, Blyth are doing better than us". This is very short term thinking. We have so much potential, we are a bigger club with a bigger fan base and a football league history which is still a draw for many.

I agree we are a bigger club, bigger fanbase that traditionally has been a Football League Club...

But looking at what Armstrong os doing at Croft Park may just be enough to want to see the job through and try and take Blyth to the next level.

I would not mind Armstrong, he came across as a decent bloke at one time when I was did voluntary work as a Trainee Youth Worker and we organised a training session with him for the group of lads I worked with, quite approachable amd very much a people person, which seemingly Martin Gray was not

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:36 pm

I'm concerned about the groundswell of support for Chris Hardy. I'm not against his appointment per se but I'm struggling to see exactly what he's achieved. Surely we'd be better with someone with experience of our division and the one above. Someone who's got contacts in the game and is able to attract players. Chris Hardy strikes me as a solid northern league manager with a pleasant attitude. Is that enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:14 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:I'm concerned about the groundswell of support for Chris Hardy. I'm not against his appointment per se but I'm struggling to see exactly what he's achieved. Surely we'd be better with someone with experience of our division and the one above. Someone who's got contacts in the game and is able to attract players. Chris Hardy strikes me as a solid northern league manager with a pleasant attitude. Is that enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris Hardy may not be a miracle worker but he has done well on a very modest budget at Whitby. They finished 6th last season despite being tipped as the second favourites to be relegated and although they're mid-table at the moment, we're talking about a club who have an average attendance of 250 and have traditionally flirted with the bottom half of the NPL for years.

As for his record at Guisborough, between 2008-2015 they went from mid table in Division 2 to the top 4 of Division 1 whilst adding an extra 100 fans to the gate. It makes you wonder the job that could be done with greater resources. IMO we need a Manager that can stick to the budget set by the board, have an outlook of playing football the right way whilst respecting the club ethos of being fan-owned.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:47 pm

Its pleasing that we have such a potentially strong application list. I agree that the three requirements are someone who can maximise a limited budget, respect the fan ownership model and promote progressive football. In fact, I could add ringing young players into the first team which has been horribly lacking. Not one of the young squad who played in the final New Mills game a couple of seasons back has broken into the squad yet for whatever reason. I'm more likely to side with a journeyman lower league manager than necessarily a glamour name. One potential candidate for me is Andy Toman who has a good knowledge of the North east scene and is currently coaching in Norway. He also has a good knowledge of the club and was a terrific midfield player. One form left field but the more I think about it the more interesting he becomes as he fulfils a lot of requirements.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:50 am

princes town wrote:Its pleasing that we have such a potentially strong application list. I agree that the three requirements are someone who can maximise a limited budget, respect the fan ownership model and promote progressive football. In fact, I could add ringing young players into the first team which has been horribly lacking. Not one of the young squad who played in the final New Mills game a couple of seasons back has broken into the squad yet for whatever reason. I'm more likely to side with a journeyman lower league manager than necessarily a glamour name. One potential candidate for me is Andy Toman who has a good knowledge of the North east scene and is currently coaching in Norway. He also has a good knowledge of the club and was a terrific midfield player. One form left field but the more I think about it the more interesting he becomes as he fulfils a lot of requirements.
Not for me I'm afraid , hasn't really done enough with the clubs he has managed otherwise he would of progressed himself or the teams he managed.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:56 am

princes town wrote:One potential candidate for me is Andy Toman who has a good knowledge of the North east scene and is currently coaching in Norway. He also has a good knowledge of the club and was a terrific midfield player. One form left field but the more I think about it the more interesting he becomes as he fulfils a lot of requirements.
But he lives in Norway?

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:02 am

lo36789 wrote:
princes town wrote:One potential candidate for me is Andy Toman who has a good knowledge of the North east scene and is currently coaching in Norway. He also has a good knowledge of the club and was a terrific midfield player. One form left field but the more I think about it the more interesting he becomes as he fulfils a lot of requirements.
But he lives in Norway?
Hell of a commute for a part-time job.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:12 am

Alfie wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
But he lives in Norway?
Hell of a commute for a part-time job.
But they only train a couple of times a week, so not as if he will need to do it too often :twisted:

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:01 am

Alun Armstrong, Craig Hignett and Steve Watson are reported to be the three on the shortlist for the Gateshead job. Be a massive blow to Blyth if Armstrong gets it and he would be quite likely to take Dan Maguire and a couple of others with him.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:16 am

LoidLucan wrote:Alun Armstrong, Craig Hignett and Steve Watson are reported to be the three on the shortlist for the Gateshead job. Be a massive blow to Blyth if Armstrong gets it and he would be quite likely to take Dan Maguire and a couple of others with him.
According to the Mail, Watson has got the job - to be announced today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... shead.html

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:22 am

Hignett will be turning his attention to us now.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:01 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Hignett will be turning his attention to us now.
Not for me I'm afraid , his time at Hartlepool was a disaster, is was ok watching from the sidelines as a Darlo fan seeing there demise , but would you want him to take over? No thanks.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:10 pm

Voted Armstrong. Be happy with him or Hardy.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:12 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Not for me I'm afraid , his time at Hartlepool was a disaster, is was ok watching from the sidelines as a Darlo fan seeing there demise , but would you want him to take over? No thanks.
I'd have him as a coach/asst manager but not the man in charge

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:09 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Darlopartisan wrote:
I'd have him as a coach/asst manager but not the man in charge
Why?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg