New manager poll

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Who do you want

Alun Armstrong
7%
Chris Hardy
44%
Alan White
8%
Billy Miller
2%
Craig Hignett
6%
Matthew Bates
No votes
Ronnie Moore
7%
Mark Bower
2%
Neil Maddison
9%
LoidLucan
14%

Total votes: 85

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Re: New manager poll

Post by princes town » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:25 pm

lo36789 wrote:
princes town wrote:One potential candidate for me is Andy Toman who has a good knowledge of the North east scene and is currently coaching in Norway. He also has a good knowledge of the club and was a terrific midfield player. One form left field but the more I think about it the more interesting he becomes as he fulfils a lot of requirements.
But he lives in Norway?
yes, but advised that he would come back if asked.

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by divas » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:41 pm

I believe Andy applied for the job in 2012 and was overlooked. As far as I'm wars he's my got any experience outside of the Northern league.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:01 pm

Maybe the next manager will be someone looking to take on a senior role as opposed to academy teams? Names like Graeme Lee at Boro and Kevin Richardson at Newcastle (both with previous Darlo experience) and granted the latter was part of the doomed Staunton era but doesn't mean to say that he wouldn't be able to cut it now with a few more years of coaching experience.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:23 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:Maybe the next manager will be someone looking to take on a senior role as opposed to academy teams? Names like Graeme Lee at Boro and Kevin Richardson at Newcastle (both with previous Darlo experience) and granted the latter was part of the doomed Staunton era but doesn't mean to say that he wouldn't be able to cut it now with a few more years of coaching experience.
I hope not.

Totally different environment - I find it hard to imagine how one would translate to the other.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:32 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:Maybe the next manager will be someone looking to take on a senior role as opposed to academy teams? Names like Graeme Lee at Boro and Kevin Richardson at Newcastle (both with previous Darlo experience) and granted the latter was part of the doomed Staunton era but doesn't mean to say that he wouldn't be able to cut it now with a few more years of coaching experience.
Graeme Lee wanted the job in 2012. I remember him and his dad being mentioned a lot on here at the time.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/foot ... ns-3673372

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:51 pm

Spyman wrote:
I hope not.

Totally different environment - I find it hard to imagine how one would translate to the other.

Well at some point maybe some of these guys will want to cut it as a manager of a senior team and its at this level and below most do. The other thing to consider is cost, it's all well and good looking at the likes of managers such as Ronnie Moore but are they and we really in a position to afford them in our situation? We have to be realistic and why is this any different to Atkinson & Gregan taking the role as we were prepared to accept?
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:07 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
I hope not.

Well at some point maybe some of these guys will want to cut it as a manager of a senior team and its at this level and below most do. The other thing to consider is cost, it's all well and good looking at the likes of managers such as Ronnie Moore but are they and we really in a position to afford them in our situation? We have to be realistic and why is this any different to Atkinson & Gregan taking the role as we were prepared to accept?
We have to be realistic and why is this any different to Atkinson & Gregan taking the role as we were prepared to accept?[/quote]

We have to be realistic and why is this any different to Atkinson & Gregan taking the role as we were prepared to accept?[/quote]

I think at the time we were between a rock and a hard place , now we have a chance to put a manager in place who , hopefully , will have a proven track record at this level, and , more importantly (in my view) no links to the old regime.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:21 pm

poppyfield wrote: I think at the time we were between a rock and a hard place , now we have a chance to put a manager in place who , hopefully , will have a proven track record at this level, and , more importantly (in my view) no links to the old regime.
A complete break away from M.G. is for the best.

It would have been odd to say the least that Atkinson and Gregan would be planning playing York at home one minute, then taking phone calls from Gray, their boss - the next minute. We could even meet York in the playoffs - who knows?

They're all too pally with each other.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:46 am

Surprised no body has mentioned Craig Liddle.
A reluctant manager, caretaker manager of ours several times back in 2009-2012.
Always in difficult circumstances, no money to spend, administrations etc.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:50 am

Would walk into the job if he wanted it but full time at Boro in charge of the academy which is his perfect job.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:00 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Would walk into the job if he wanted it but full time at Boro in charge of the academy which is his perfect job.
Why? People really are full of nostalgia aren't they. Craig Liddle was a brilliant centre back and a great youth team manager.

That doesn't mean he should walk into our FT managers job when there are many many more suitable candidates.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:11 am

Liddle is currently Boro's academy manager. There's no way he leaves a prestigious, well paid and full time job like that for us right now i'm afraid.

I mean, maybe if we were a full time league club.

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:11 am

So is anyone stalking the guys who will be interviewing? Interested to know who they interview not just who gets the job :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:19 am

Time for everyone to start walking their dogs around BM tomorrow and Friday to see who arrives!

If they're even to be held at BM. I wonder whether we have any sort of 'boardroom' at BM? Or is it elsewhere. We must have an office somewhere.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:27 am

lo36789 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Would walk into the job if he wanted it but full time at Boro in charge of the academy which is his perfect job.
Why? People really are full of nostalgia aren't they. Craig Liddle was a brilliant centre back and a great youth team manager.

That doesn't mean he should walk into our FT managers job when there are many many more suitable candidates.
Don't think there would be many more popular appointments IMO, did a great job with our youth team with the likes of Ferguson, Harrison, Hopson etc but no way would he leave Boro for us.So who do you think would be far better options lo, let's have your thoughts on this please.Cannot wait!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:37 am

My order of preference

1. Chris Hardy
2. Alun Armstrong
3. Mark Bower

All have proven that they can manage senior non-league semi-professional mens football teams successfully, and all on more limited resources than we have.

I have chosen Hardy over the others as I believe he is slightly more local but he has shown historically a keen eye for a player (Roberts / Johnson) which can generate funds, but also plays an attractive style of play and has a calm respected demeanour in the dugout.

I think Armstrong and Bower have equally proven themselves to be competent and capable at the level and with resources. I think with Hardy it is a combination of him being 'on the up' / style of play and that eye for a player which I put him top for me.

Craig Liddle is basically our ex-captain that is the strongest argument for him - you have referenced the development of players but that was from a role as youth team manager. Alan Shearer was an incredibly popular appointment at Newcastle but like Craig Liddle did with us he managed them to relegation.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:40 pm

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Just to add to that, there is the important point that we're also long overdue a manager with a beard. Have we even had one, ever?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:02 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Just to add to that, there is the important point that we're also long overdue a manager with a beard. Have we even had one, ever?
That could be me back in the running then!

As I said on Saturday, just get Hardy some thick-rimmed glasses and he'll have Premiership clubs after him.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:29 pm

Spyman wrote:...

As I said on Saturday, just get Hardy some thick-rimmed glasses and he'll have Premiership clubs after him.

and a foreign accent?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:37 pm

Still waiting for some smartass with time on their hands to dig out a pic of an obscure two-day Darlo caretaker boss with five o'clock shadow after a heavy night. Just to be clear, I'm talking a full-on Brian Blessed here :D

olrad

Post by olrad » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:51 pm

Some one who has applied would be preferable, let's not join the ranks of slippery barstewards who think it's ok to trample all over others . I can't see why some posters are so against hignett for consideration : good coach, local knowledge and connections, available and desperate to get back into management . Give him until the end of the season and then look at it again , others might be out of contract by then if he hasn't preformed. Had a mare at poolie but that was a sinking ship before he got near it , and the bucket he had to bail it out had holes in it .

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:52 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Still waiting for some smartass with time on their hands to dig out a pic of an obscure two-day Darlo caretaker boss with five o'clock shadow after a heavy night. Just to be clear, I'm talking a full-on Brian Blessed here :D
Sorry, I've been in a meeting.

DC

Radar

Post by Radar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:50 pm

When do the interviews commence?

Gatesheads short list was Steve Watson, Alun Armstrong and Craig Hignett of which Watson got the nod. I'd imagine Hignett is looking to get back into the game, and Armstrong must be looking to get away from Blyth so both of them will surely be on our shortlist along with Hardy from Whitby.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Radar wrote:When do the interviews commence?

Gatesheads short list was Steve Watson, Alun Armstrong and Craig Hignett of which Watson got the nod. I'd imagine Hignett is looking to get back into the game, and Armstrong must be looking to get away from Blyth so both of them will surely be on our shortlist along with Hardy from Whitby.
Towards the end of this week was the rumour.

Armstrong may be looking for opportunities elsewhere but he might not be interested in a move to a club in the same division.

DC

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:58 pm

I'm now thinking Gary Mills with Darren Caskey as his assistant. Imagine the reaction from their Chairman and Martin Gray if we appointed them and then stuffed them at Blackwell Meadows. Extra motivation all round to finished above York. I'm sure these two will be 1 of the 8 exceptional candidates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radar

Post by Radar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:37 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:I'm now thinking Gary Mills with Darren Caskey as his assistant. Imagine the reaction from their Chairman and Martin Gray if we appointed them and then stuffed them at Blackwell Meadows. Extra motivation all round to finished above York. I'm sure these two will be 1 of the 8 exceptional candidates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We can't be choosing a manager just for the sake of trying to get one over on the club which took our old manager. The fact is, Gary Mills is on the downgrade. He's had many more failures in management than success'. Had a big budget at full time Wrexham and did nothing, went back to York, again on a healthy budget at a full time club and got them relegated. Stays with full time York with the biggest buget in the league and fails miserably.

Mills is certainly not an exceptional candidate and I hope he is nowhere near our shortlist.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:56 pm

Mills did not take York down. He inherited a shocking side from Jackie McNamara who managed to win just 3 in 15. Mills was unbeaten in 21 of his 31 remaining games in charge. Would have definitely stayed up had he been in charge from the start, and he won the FA Trophy too.

He would have to be considered if his CV came up. Question marks over his recruitment but I know Phil Turnbull thinks very highly of him after their time at Gateshead.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:47 am

Darlofan97 wrote:He would have to be considered if his CV came up. Question marks over his recruitment but I know Phil Turnbull thinks very highly of him after their time at Gateshead.
I saw this as well Turnbull saying that he was the best he's ever worked with. Training / Preparation for games being absolutely top notch.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:13 am

7 individuals to be interviewed across today & tomorrow. No indication that Hardy has applied, but Hignett & Mills are interested in the role according to the Echo.

Would have to be Mills & Caskey for me if Hardy has in fact not applied.