New manager poll

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Who do you want

Alun Armstrong
7%
Chris Hardy
44%
Alan White
8%
Billy Miller
2%
Craig Hignett
6%
Matthew Bates
No votes
Ronnie Moore
7%
Mark Bower
2%
Neil Maddison
9%
LoidLucan
14%

Total votes: 85

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Spyman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:20 am

Quakerz wrote:That's the problem if Hignett gets the job, too many fans will be questioning his connection to Radged and I doubt that he would ever get a fair crack.

I'm hearing that we didn't even ask Hardy in for an interview - hope it's wrong.
I'd be amazed if that's true (assuming he applied).

It's well known that the board know what is said on this site, as well as twitter, facebook etc - and this thread alone shows there's a lot of support for Hardy.

While I'd never advocate letting the fans pick the manager, that level of support has surely got to be taken into consideration. If, following interviews, the panel decide there is a more suitable applicant, then fair enough - but for a fan-owned club to not even consider the person who seems to be the fans choice would be a mistake, especially when they allegedly avoided standing up to Gray because of a fear of backlash from supporters.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Radar

Post by Radar » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:27 am

The silence coming out of Whitby is deafening. Something must be happening.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:27 am

tezza wrote:Appointing a new manager even at this level can be a precarious business.

The 7 may be applicants, however whilst it might seem to be a process of appointing just another employee, should any of those applicant be currently employed in a similar role then their are rules and processes to follow. Something I would hope that, DJ, JT & JC have already taken advice on.

The last thing we want as a club is to be involved in yet another infringement of rules, regardless of who is successful
Don't care if it is a big name. Just want to see evidence of proper coaching and evidence of maximising resources experience. Hope we read the CV rather than get divvy about the "name". I mean look at Roy HODGSON, shite manager but still gets idolised because he is a big name.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:53 am

Radar wrote:The silence coming out of Whitby is deafening. Something must be happening.
Maybe cos there’s nothing for them to say?

We didn’t approach Whitby to speak to Hardy, sounds like we didn’t actively sound out potential candidates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:53 am

princes town wrote:
Don't care if it is a big name. Just want to see evidence of proper coaching and evidence of maximising resources experience. Hope we read the CV rather than get divvy about the "name". I mean look at Roy HODGSON, shite manager but still gets idolised because he is a big name.
How do you think big name managers become big name managers?

Hodgson is quite clearly not a shite manager - have a look back through his career.

You wanted to bring in Smith and Toman. Talk about idolising people without substance!!!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:16 am

e4sby wrote:
Radar wrote:The silence coming out of Whitby is deafening. Something must be happening.
Maybe cos there’s nothing for them to say?

We didn’t approach Whitby to speak to Hardy, sounds like we didn’t actively sound out potential candidates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. If we didn't approach them, why would Whitby come out with a statement? There's no reason for them to do so, other than a load of gossiping Darlington fans.

To say otherwise is essentially saying every time any fan of any club speculates on your manager, you have to put out a statement denying it, which is nonsense.
"Further to Bob from the Dog and Duck's drunken gossiping, the Whitby board of directors would like to confirm Chris Hardy remains in charge of the club and we have received no approach from Darlington or any other club."
Of course if we did approach Whitby, or he did apply, then it's a different matter. But right now, there doesn't appear to be any indication that's happened.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:34 am

Spyman wrote:
princes town wrote:
How do you think big name managers become big name managers?

Hodgson is quite clearly not a shite manager - have a look back through his career.

You wanted to bring in Smith and Toman. Talk about idolising people without substance!!!
You got me :) :) I'm sure the board will analyse all candidates equitably. Its really "value" the key issue for me. Easy to get distracted by hype rather than substance.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:35 am

Whitby do have a history of being sensitive to speculation about their boss...
http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/sport/fo ... -1-8183642

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:40 am

Too many credible rumours circulating that we haven't even followed up on Hardy.

We should have at least asked the question - big fuck up if true, IMO.

*still hoping that the rumours are actually disinformation and we really are speaking with him*

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:42 am

How do we know there hasn't been a confidential chat with Mr Hardy and he's said he's happy where he is? We have a board to make decisions on behalf of the club and the fans so let's let them get on with a very difficult process and support their decision making.

Darlojohn99

Post by Darlojohn99 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:25 am

If Hardy has said he is happy at Whitby then that’s fine. But like it has been said in a number of posts above, he is ambitious manager and wants to progress in management, it would be surprising if he hasn’t at least spoken to someone about it. At this level, in this area the Darlo job is the best job out there, so much potential at this club when someone gets its right. Fingers crossed the next man is that man.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:28 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:How do we know there hasn't been a confidential chat with Mr Hardy and he's said he's happy where he is? We have a board to make decisions on behalf of the club and the fans so let's let them get on with a very difficult process and support their decision making.
Seems fairly common knowledge we have not approached Whitby about Hardy, must be some really good options in the 7 if we can discount an approach for someone who ticks a lot of the boxes.

Very interested to hear who the seven are (don't think we will), as quite a few of the ones I hoped for are by all accounts not in with a shout.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:32 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Very interested to hear who the seven are (don't think we will), as quite a few of the ones I hoped for are by all accounts not in with a shout.
I'm also shocked that LoidLucan is apparently not in with a shout!

DC

Darlojohn99

Post by Darlojohn99 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:41 am

I’ve just been told David McGurk is getting interview. Ex Darlo and York City. Isn’t he the assistant manager at Hyde?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:43 am

Loid's keeping very quiet about his interview, isn't he?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:56 am

Must dash... just got to straighten the tie and locate those darlo trackie bottoms...

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:07 pm

do you want to borrow a darlo tie ??

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:08 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Must dash... just got to straighten the tie and locate those darlo trackie bottoms...
Just refer to "Darlehnton Football Club" multiple times and you'll be sound

Darlojohn99

Post by Darlojohn99 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Make sure you have permission from your gaffer to speak to the club haha.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:23 pm

Darlojohn99 wrote:If Hardy has said he is happy at Whitby then that’s fine. But like it has been said in a number of posts above, he is ambitious manager and wants to progress in management, it would be surprising if he hasn’t at least spoken to someone about it. At this level, in this area the Darlo job is the best job out there, so much potential at this club when someone gets its right. Fingers crossed the next man is that man.
The last manager got three promotions and two play off finishes in 5 years, so not sure how he got it wrong to be honest.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:30 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Darlojohn99 wrote:If Hardy has said he is happy at Whitby then that’s fine. But like it has been said in a number of posts above, he is ambitious manager and wants to progress in management, it would be surprising if he hasn’t at least spoken to someone about it. At this level, in this area the Darlo job is the best job out there, so much potential at this club when someone gets its right. Fingers crossed the next man is that man.
The last manager got three promotions and two play off finishes in 5 years, so not sure how he got it wrong to be honest.
I think that's what he was saying, that the last 5 years are proof of that.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:37 pm

Is he, I thought the opposite, hence the "let's hope the next man is that man". Gray got it right, you could say, yet we are now becalmed in mid NLN waters. If he couldn't unlock this latent "potential" on the back of that run of success, how's the new fella?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:40 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Is he, I thought the opposite, hence the "let's hope the next man is that man". Gray got it right, you could say, yet we are now becalmed in mid NLN waters. If he couldn't unlock this latent "potential" on the back of that run of success, how's the new fella?
We got Gray 3 promotions in 5 seasons. We paid for it, and we are still paying for it.

I could've got us the first promotion with the resources Gray was given.

DC

bga

Post by bga » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:40 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
I didn't think Darlojohn meant MG got it wrong did you? Rather we are a club with potential if the right candidate is appointed.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:44 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Is he, I thought the opposite, hence the "let's hope the next man is that man". Gray got it right, you could say, yet we are now becalmed in mid NLN waters. If he couldn't unlock this latent "potential" on the back of that run of success, how's the new fella?
Wow. Might as well fold now. :shock:
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Higgy's scouser suit has done him no favours at all and theres some bloke called millsy or summat
who just keeps muttering 'b****** gray'. Looks like its between me and one of the gadgies who just seem to want to talk about football and budgets, boring bastards.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:59 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Higgy's scouser suit has done him no favours at all and theres some bloke called millsy or summat
who just keeps muttering 'b****** gray'. Looks like its between me and one of the gadgies who just seem to want to talk about football and budgets, boring bastards.
Don't forget to ask the club "Where do you see yourselves in 5 years time?" And remember you are a Team player who sees every challenge as an opportunity!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:07 pm

With hindsight it may have been a mistake to let slip that pre-match preparation usually involves four or five owld gutbusters.

Darlojohn99

Post by Darlojohn99 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:15 pm

No Gray got it right the last 5 years, who knows what would of happened if we were allowed to play in football he play offs, even Gary Neville wanted us in the playoffs, I’m so grateful to him but it was clear he couldn’t kick on anymore and took the club as far as he could.

Regarding the next man, I hope the new gaffer does the same and gets 3 promotions in 5 years at this next stage of our history.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:22 pm

LoidLucan wrote:With hindsight it may have been a mistake to let slip that pre-match preparation usually involves four or five owld gutbusters.
Think you just blew it mate!