New manager poll

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Who do you want

Alun Armstrong
7%
Chris Hardy
44%
Alan White
8%
Billy Miller
2%
Craig Hignett
6%
Matthew Bates
No votes
Ronnie Moore
7%
Mark Bower
2%
Neil Maddison
9%
LoidLucan
14%

Total votes: 85

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by divas » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:07 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Really disappointed, Armstrong was the right choice. Shows how we have fallen when we cannot get Blyth manager to join us, reality check again.
Please don't let it be Tommy Wright, but equally, not sure Hardy has enough or any experience of our level or connections across the wider geographical area needed to attract players to us from outside the local region. There again, dont really know now who would be right!

Blyth didn't have to start from scratch 5 years ago. We'll get there, it's just going to take time and patience.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:12 pm

Correct Divas. Regarding Tommy Wright, beggars can't be choosers. If he can stabilise us for a couple of years while we build our infrastructure, then fair enough. Once we are eligible for promotion to the Conference, and we have built up the infrastructure, once the 500 club expires at the end of next year, we will have a bigger budget and be a much bigger draw for someone.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:16 pm

On the one hand, I'm disappointed we couldn't come to an agreement with Armstrong, as he's done very well at Blyth. But on the other hand, reading between the lines of what's happened, I'm pretty glad as we may have dodged a bullet in terms of someone who doesn't fit our current structure a la Gray.

Looks like it's probably going to be Wright based on the Echo's report. I'm a bit surprised by that - both that he wants to come here and that he's our second choice. His record is OK, but doesn't seem spectacular. Still, if he buys into what we're about, and can steadily improve us over the next few seasons while we let the infrasturucture catch up with the progress we've had over the last few seasons, then he'd be a good appointment.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Strange tho given we were told of the calibre that applied, that's actually came to us, not us chasing them, and we're left with Tommy Wright...

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:39 pm

Wright seriously doesn't offer anything surely. Not from the area, is he really going to uproot his family for a part time job at Darlo. It's bad enough players travelling but the manager! His record at our level is poor with a full time team! . Not a popular choice with fans, haven't heard any positives about anyone wanting him. Can't believe that there was no one a better fit amongst these 7 'quality' candidates. Think we are getting it wrong again, but hope it's me who,s wrong!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Not convinced that Tommy Wright would be the best appointment for several reasons, especially the fact that he's from the Midlands and would be coming here for a part time job, how would that work in reality?

Does he know much about the local non league scene, I think that is pretty important for recruitment. Equally, do the local non league players worth signing know him. Players tend to follow favourite managers around, especially up here.

He couldn't really bring players up here from Nuneaton could he, wouldn't really be financially viable would it?

Also, he struggled to turn Corby round after they got relegated, so can he get out of ruts?

On the positive side he was a popular player which could go in his favour as fans would want him to do well, plus he looks like Biffa Bacon which will always go down well. He also for some reason really seems to want the job, and that's an advantage if it's not just any old job to him.

Obviously if he gets the job we all need to get behind him.

I wonder if he'll bring big Ex with him? :thumbup:

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:45 pm

Quakerz wrote:Not convinced that Tommy Wright would be the best appointment for several reasons, especially the fact that he's from the Midlands and would be coming here for a part time job, how would that work in reality?

Does he know much about the local non league scene, I think that is pretty important for recruitment. Equally, do the local non league players worth signing know him. Players tend to follow favourite managers around, especially up here.

He couldn't really bring players up here from Nuneaton could he, wouldn't really be financially viable would it?

Also, he struggled to turn Corby round after they got relegated, so can he get out of ruts?

On the positive side he was a popular player which could go in his favour as fans would want him to do well, plus he looks like Biffa Bacon which will always go down well. He also for some reason really seems to want the job, and that's an advantage if it's not just any old job to him.

Obviously if he gets the job we all need to get behind him.

I wonder if he'll bring big Ex with him? :thumbup:
All fair concerns (which I share), but you'd hope that these are things which would have come up in interview, and therefore he must have produced convincing enough answers to the board to be considered second choice out of the 7.

Darlojohn99

Post by Darlojohn99 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:47 pm

Tommy Wright wants the job, loves the area, he still comes here, he was up here in August and still has links here.

I want someone who wants the job, not someone who applied and now can’t agree on a deal.

There has been loads of appointments by football clubs over the years in this country where the fans were not happy with the choice of manager and then they turn out good. Just announce a manager and lets get on with the season.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Wright seriously doesn't offer anything surely. Not from the area, is he really going to uproot his family for a part time job at Darlo. It's bad enough players travelling but the manager! His record at our level is poor with a full time team! . Not a popular choice with fans, haven't heard any positives about anyone wanting him. Can't believe that there was no one a better fit amongst these 7 'quality' candidates. Think we are getting it wrong again, but hope it's me who,s wrong!
To be fair, full time Nuneatons budget is supposedly no better than ours and you're not going to have the pick of full time pros if you are paying part time wages - it surely isn't an easy task?

Apparently they only train twice a week, on days rather than evenings, and the squad has a lot of youngsters.

Despite this, they've beaten us twice in our last 2 meetings.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:51 pm

At least after Saturday he`ll know where our weakness is

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:52 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Quakerlad wrote:Wright seriously doesn't offer anything surely. Not from the area, is he really going to uproot his family for a part time job at Darlo. It's bad enough players travelling but the manager! His record at our level is poor with a full time team! . Not a popular choice with fans, haven't heard any positives about anyone wanting him. Can't believe that there was no one a better fit amongst these 7 'quality' candidates. Think we are getting it wrong again, but hope it's me who,s wrong!
To be fair, full time Nuneatons budget is supposedly no better than ours and you're not going to have the pick of full time pros if you are paying part time wages - it surely isn't an easy task?

Apparently they only train twice a week, on days rather than evenings, and the squad has a lot of youngsters.

They also played some decent stuff on Saturday. Pacey and good movement (mind, we didn't defend particularly well...)

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Armstrong > Wright > Hardy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:54 pm

I would rather bring in Whitey than Tommy Wright. Whitey is a darlo lad and will have connections in the area.

Was always vocal on the touchline organising the defence, might be worth a shot.

Darlojohn99

Post by Darlojohn99 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:58 pm

In the programme notes for the match he declared Darlington as his “second home”, adding: “It is a place that will always have a special place in my heart.”

Tommy Wright.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:58 pm

quakerste wrote:I would rather bring in Whitey than Tommy Wright. Whitey is a darlo lad and will have connections in the area.

Was always vocal on the touchline organising the defence, might be worth a shot.
Wright will need an assistant and I'm sure it'll be someone local...

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:06 pm

You're not throwing a hook out there are you Divas?

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Quakerz wrote:

Is it possible that part time at Darlo pays more than full time at Nuneaton? Or close enough to make it worthwhile - he could always set up an academy in his spare time

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:12 pm

Oh dear. Just had a look at the Nuneaton forum and a Darlo fan has been on to tell them he's linked with the Darlo job. Not many replies but the replies do include phrases like "how much are you paying for him" and "would have sacked him a few weeks ago but couldn't afford to pay him off"

Probably shouldn't dig any more, don't want to undermine the lad before he gets the job!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:14 pm

Tommy Wright was team mates with Alan White and Maddo was Reserve team coach when he was there.
He did play for Darlo for a few years so would think he'd still have plenty of contacts up here.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:16 pm

Tommy Wright,Wright Wright. and Alan White,White , White.
Let's get started

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:18 pm

No Wright just White.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:23 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:You're not throwing a hook out there are you Divas?

Would I...

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:24 pm

If Wright gets the job, I demand big Ex as the player/assistant - stupidly long throw and saw Radged for what he was.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:26 pm

roadrunner wrote:Tommy Wright,Wright Wright. and Alan White,White , White.
Let's get started
roadrunner, get yourself down to the balcony at BM and see what you can find out.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:31 pm

Quakerz wrote:If Wright gets the job, I demand big Ex as the player/assistant - stupidly long throw and saw Radged for what he was.
As opposed to somebody with knowledge of local players and who may be able to get fitness levels up?
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Allan Quatermain wrote:
Quakerz wrote:If Wright gets the job, I demand big Ex as the player/assistant - stupidly long throw and saw Radged for what he was.
As opposed to somebody with knowledge of local players and who may be able to get fitness levels up?
I was thinking of the fitness angle too. He was our fitness and conditioning coach in the NPL I think. And Quakerz was being tongue in cheek.

en passant

Post by en passant » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Quakerz wrote:Oh dear. Just had a look at the Nuneaton forum and a Darlo fan has been on to tell them he's linked with the Darlo job. Not many replies but the replies do include phrases like "how much are you paying for him" and "would have sacked him a few weeks ago but couldn't afford to pay him off"

Probably shouldn't dig any more, don't want to undermine the lad before he gets the job!
So if I am reading this correctly, Nuneaton want rid of TW but didn't want to pay the price of doing so. So if another club wanted to take him off their hands and he was happy to go, then he walks away without charging them a dismissal fee and his new club, out of regard to saving Nuneaton a packet in severance pay don't have to pay a penny to Nuneaton as they have saved them money. A win - win situation. Now all Nuneaton need to do is find a club willing to take Wright off their hands. Who could that be?

olrad

Post by olrad » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Who do some of you think we are ? We are no longer the biggest kid in the playground , and we're far from it , that's why MG bailed out . We have a rented rugby pitch , board of 2, dwindling volunteer base, falling attendances and obviously some of those that still attend have delusions of grandeur.
Who the F are we to be saying who is and isn't good enough. if someone shows a genuine interest of coming here and giving it his best shot he'll get my full support ,just like he'll have the support of the board , who happen to be the only people left who have stepped up to do what they think is best for the long term future of the club .
Give who ever it is a chance FFS

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:56 pm

olrad wrote:Who do some of you think we are ? We are no longer the biggest kid in the playground , and we're far from it , that's why MG bailed out . We have a rented rugby pitch , board of 2, dwindling volunteer base, falling attendances and obviously some of those that still attend have delusions of grandeur.
Who the F are we to be saying who is and isn't good enough. if someone shows a genuine interest of coming here and giving it his best shot he'll get my full support ,just like he'll have the support of the board , who happen to be the only people left who have stepped up to do what they think is best for the long term future of the club .
Give who ever it is a chance FFS
To be fair, well said.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:11 pm

Nuneaton also improved last season after he was appointed. On paper it wouldn't be the most exciting of appointments, but he's a young coach who's already had some success in his managerial career, who seems to care about the club, and who presumably must have interviewed well (at least relative to his competitors!).