New manager poll

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Post Reply

Who do you want

Alun Armstrong
6
7%
Chris Hardy
37
44%
Alan White
7
8%
Billy Miller
2
2%
Craig Hignett
5
6%
Matthew Bates
0
No votes
Ronnie Moore
6
7%
Mark Bower
2
2%
Neil Maddison
8
9%
LoidLucan
12
14%
 
Total votes: 85

Darlofan97
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:16 am

lo36789 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:He would have to be considered if his CV came up. Question marks over his recruitment but I know Phil Turnbull thinks very highly of him after their time at Gateshead.
I saw this as well Turnbull saying that he was the best he's ever worked with. Training / Preparation for games being absolutely top notch.
Yep - he things very highly of him & Caskey.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4529
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:19 am

I don't see what Mills has done in the last few years to suggest he's on anything other than a downward trajectory.

Didn't take Gateshead up despite having a budget capable of doing so. Massively underachieved at Wrexham.

Took York down (I don't buy the argument that he inherited a terrible team so couldn't do anything). He had plenty of time last season to turn things around but didn't. And he started this season poorly (in relative terms for York's resources). There's a reason he was sacked after less than a year.

If your sole argument is that Turnbull liked him four years ago then you're on to a loser. Times have moved on, as have Mills' managerial capabilities seemingly.

Based on the last few years of his career, I'd be massively underwhelmed if it was Mills. He's not done anything of note in the last five years (failing in the play-offs with Gateshead doesn't count as success).

As I've said before, we've a real opportunity to get in a younger manager, to build a philosophy over a period of time. Going with managers whose careers appear to be heading backwards would be a mistake.

Wrexham fans hated him - said his attitude was unprofessional, the scouting and preparation for games was sub-standard and he appears to have lost all motivation. For a flavour - http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrex ... ain-6.html (I know it's only a forum post, but the universal rejection of Mills from there is telling).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Quakerz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:59 am

Would not want Mills at all. He's done nowt for years and is accustomed to full time budgets. Even if he did alright with us (which he won't) how long before he starts wanting more money? It'll be Gray all over again, except without the results.

Hignett, don't know enough about him.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11643
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:37 am

Wasn't Hignett initially very well thought of at Hartlepool as Assistant to Colin Cooper - and his departure was linked to a downturn in results which eventually led to Cooper's leaving?

Ok he didn't cover himself in glory as manager when he returned, but he didn't exactly have a lot to play with.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but also I wouldn't judge him solely on the Hartlepool job.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

shawry
Posts: 2583
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by shawry » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:49 am

Spyman wrote:Wasn't Hignett initially very well thought of at Hartlepool as Assistant to Colin Cooper - and his departure was linked to a downturn in results which eventually led to Cooper's leaving?

Ok he didn't cover himself in glory as manager when he returned, but he didn't exactly have a lot to play with.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but also I wouldn't judge him solely on the Hartlepool job.
He seemed to do well at boro as part of the set up, they had a downturn after he left.

I've got no real preference, as tbh, it's likely those applying are out of work, and mostly are out of work for a reason.

The new manager will get my backing regardless of who it is, however I'd be really interested to know who has applied.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

LoidLucan
Posts: 2724
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 am

Anyone who is currently in work and has applied wouldn't want their name thrown around in the media for obvious reasons. And they would have every right to expect that our club wouldn't just release their names to the media on the basis that they are on the shortlist and being interviewed.

shawry
Posts: 2583
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by shawry » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:57 am

LoidLucan wrote:Anyone who is currently in work and has applied wouldn't want their name thrown around in the media for obvious reasons. And they would have every right to expect that our club wouldn't just release their names to the media on the basis that they are on the shortlist and being interviewed.
Oh I fully understand that, doesn't stop me wishing I knew :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

al_quaker
Posts: 5303
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:58 am

It'll be interesting to see how the selection panel settle on. It's good the DFCSG are represented.

For me there's 2 key things we need - a recognition of our financial situation, and an ability to work with PT players. Our previous manager alluded to it a few times: coming from the full time game, where you can work with the players every day is different to training 2 evenings a week. It's why someone like Hignett, who by all accounts is a good coach (although of course he did less well as number 1 at Hartlepool), would be a gamble.

Mills on the other hand did well at Tamworth, who I presume were PT. But other questions arise with him - he seems to have been on a downward spiral over the last few seasons.

I still think Hardy ticks most of the boxes we require, but it remains to be seen if he's even applied, or if we can afford him. And even then there would be question marks about whether he can do it in this league where teams and set ups are a lot more professional (and in some cases they actually are professional).

Hopefully some more names are leaked as speculation is fun :lol:

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Quakerz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:10 am

al_quaker wrote: I still think Hardy ticks most of the boxes we require, but it remains to be seen if he's even applied, or if we can afford him.
If we can afford Hardy? :lol:

We've just got rid of an oversized, expensive management and backroom team and you're seriously wondering if we can afford Hardy?

He's at Whitby man, they get crowds of 250 - what's he on, £100 a week?

Even if we had to pay up his Whitby contract it will be small beer compared to ridding "money" Martin's team.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

al_quaker
Posts: 5303
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:11 am

Quakerz wrote:
al_quaker wrote: I still think Hardy ticks most of the boxes we require, but it remains to be seen if he's even applied, or if we can afford him.
If we can afford Hardy? :lol:

We've just got rid of an oversized, expensive management and backroom team and you're seriously wondering if we can afford Hardy?

He's at Whitby man, they get crowds of 250 - what's he on, £100 a week?

Even if we had to pay up his Whitby contract it will be small beer compared to ridding "money" Martin's team.
In hindsight, I should have said 'if we're willing to pay money for him' :lol:

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Quakerz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:27 am

al_quaker wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
al_quaker wrote: I still think Hardy ticks most of the boxes we require, but it remains to be seen if he's even applied, or if we can afford him.
If we can afford Hardy? :lol:

We've just got rid of an oversized, expensive management and backroom team and you're seriously wondering if we can afford Hardy?

He's at Whitby man, they get crowds of 250 - what's he on, £100 a week?

Even if we had to pay up his Whitby contract it will be small beer compared to ridding "money" Martin's team.
In hindsight, I should have said 'if we're willing to pay money for him' :lol:
Considering that we used to pay transfer fees for Northern League and Evostik players every time Gray wanted, then a couple or three grand max shouldn't kill us.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

al_quaker
Posts: 5303
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:29 am

That's true

HarryCharltonsCat
Posts: 915
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:23 am

Quakerz wrote:Would not want Mills at all. He's done nowt for years and is accustomed to full time budgets. Even if he did alright with us (which he won't) how long before he starts wanting more money? It'll be Gray all over again, except without the results.

Hignett, don't know enough about him.
Whilst I don't want him, he did win the FA Trophy last year, so to say he's done nowt is a little harsh.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4529
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:04 pm

If anything, the fact he won the FA Trophy, then struggled after a summer where he could build his own squad is more evidence of his unsuitability.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tezza
Posts: 970
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington
Contact:

Re: New manager poll

Post by tezza » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Quakerz wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
al_quaker wrote: I still think Hardy ticks most of the boxes we require, but it remains to be seen if he's even applied, or if we can afford him.
If we can afford Hardy? :lol:

We've just got rid of an oversized, expensive management and backroom team and you're seriously wondering if we can afford Hardy?

He's at Whitby man, they get crowds of 250 - what's he on, £100 a week?

Even if we had to pay up his Whitby contract it will be small beer compared to ridding "money" Martin's team.
In hindsight, I should have said 'if we're willing to pay money for him' :lol:
Considering that we used to pay transfer fees for Northern League and Evostik players every time Gray wanted, then a couple or three grand max shouldn't kill us.

That's pure speculation:
How much has the release of the management team freed up ? You do not know anymore than the guess you made at CH current Salary or the speculation of how much it would cost.

Ingleby
Posts: 1513
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Ingleby » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:55 pm

Alright tezza calm down. Doesn't take a genius to work out Gray and his entourage will have freed up more cash than Chardy is getting at Whitby. Common sense.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Quakerz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:07 pm

tezza wrote: That's pure speculation:
How much has the release of the management team freed up ? You do not know anymore than the guess you made at CH current Salary or the speculation of how much it would cost.
Never said it was fact but I think most people with a quarter of a brain can work out that our management team (wasn't it 70k in the last accounts covering the Evostik winning season...and it will have been even more last season) will have cost a bit more than Chris Hardy is currently on.

He is unlikely to be on much, and "not much" x "not many months left on contract" = ?
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

tezza
Posts: 970
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington
Contact:

Re: New manager poll

Post by tezza » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:14 pm

Again conjecture.

Bandying figures about irresponsibly does the club no favours, neither I guess the candidates who might draw different conclusions.

It is very similar to why clubs opt for undisclosed transfer fees, as they can undermine the process.

You seem sensible, able to make a case based on fact, often taking people to task for similar to what you are now putting out. Which is disappointing

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Quakerz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:27 pm

But I'm not making a case based on fact, and never said I was.

We can however find the facts about the cost of the ex-management team by looking at the last released accounts for season 15/16.

We don't know what Hardy and his team are currently on, but I'll be amazed if it's anywhere near the amount that our ex-management team cost.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlojohn99
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Darlojohn99 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:57 pm

100% sure Chris Hardy will have put his CV in for the job. He said since managing in The Teesside League he wants to go as far as possible in football, his made no secret of this. I would be shocked if he didn’t.

Maybe we will announce someone out of left field, no one expected Steve Watson at Gateshead.

But I think people will be surprised how many experience League managers would be interested in the Darlo job.

Darlojohn99
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Darlojohn99 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Also I think we may need a manager who has been a league manager with contacts and being a well known name like Hignett and Armstrong, get some players from the higher divisions and from Boro, Sunderland & Newcastle. With a less experienced manager like Hardy, maybe he would bring in Northern League lads and players from Teesside etc.

I would be happy with either Hignett, Armstrong or Hardy. But like I said above I got a feeling it will be someone we haven’t spoken about.

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Quakerz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Darlojohn99 wrote:Also I think we may need a manager who has been a league manager with contacts and being a well known name like Hignett and Armstrong, get some players from the higher divisions and from Boro, Sunderland & Newcastle.
Interesting opinion but why is having been a league manager an advantage for the Darlo job, with us being currently a million miles from the league? Why will being a big name attract players from higher divisions when we are part time?

I see Armstrong hasn't signed from higher divisions for Blyth. Mind you I'd be happy with Armstrong or Hardy.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlogramps
Posts: 4529
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:19 pm

Darlojohn99 wrote: Maybe we will announce someone out of left field, no one expected Steve Watson at Gateshead.
If fairness, Watson was the favourite from day one for the Gateshead job, but I'm just being pedantic.

It could well be a first time manager, which I wouldn't be against (depending on who it is!)

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Radar
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:10 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Radar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:22 pm

Interviews tonight and tomorrow. Hope Chris Hardy is amongst them.

Darlojohn99
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Darlojohn99 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:32 pm

Yeah good point Radar regarding a league manager and us being apart time. Honestly forget we are part time haha, still think we are in League 2. I just hope we pick the right man and they are here for a good few years and get back up the leagues.

We have battled Salford for a few seasons now and I know they are full time etc, but how far we have gone backwards even since the first game of the season. That was a good trip that was.

LoidLucan
Posts: 2724
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:32 pm

I can do left field if it involves someone who gets the fan-owned bit, doesn't have a recent record of failure, can show they can work within a budget without constant demands, is ambitious, can work in part-time football, works hard and has a good long-term plan of how to take us forward, including developing young talent.

Best man for the job and that doesn't necessarily mean chose the bloke who has managed at a higher level or played league football. I'd rather go for someone on the up (even if from a lower league) or with the potential to develop than someone who appears to be on the slide, even if they have Football League or National League experience.

Darlojohn99
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Darlojohn99 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:36 pm

7 people getting interviewed? Wonder who’s on the list. Might go for a run to BM. Haha

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by Quakerz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:38 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I can do left field if it involves someone who gets the fan-owned bit, doesn't have a recent record of failure, can show they can work within a budget without constant demands, is ambitious, can work in part-time football, works hard and has a good long-term plan of how to take us forward, including developing young talent.

Best man for the job and that doesn't necessarily mean chose the bloke who has managed at a higher level or played league football. I'd rather go for someone on the up (even if from a lower league) or with the potential to develop than someone who appears to be on the slide, even if they have Football League or National League experience.
:thumbup:

Shame you're not doing the interviewing.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

tezza
Posts: 970
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington
Contact:

Re: New manager poll

Post by tezza » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Appointing a new manager even at this level can be a precarious business.

The 7 may be applicants, however whilst it might seem to be a process of appointing just another employee, should any of those applicant be currently employed in a similar role then their are rules and processes to follow. Something I would hope that, DJ, JT & JC have already taken advice on.

The last thing we want as a club is to be involved in yet another infringement of rules, regardless of who is successful

darlo reborn
Posts: 1281
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New manager poll

Post by darlo reborn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Then he could drop us hints along the way

Post Reply