Martin Gray Story/ Interview in today's Non League Paper

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

spen666
Team Supported: Darlington

Martin Gray Story/ Interview in today's Non League Paper

Post by spen666 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:52 am

Interview is on Page 5.

I can't link to it online, but basically my reading of it is that MG thinks Darlington are only where they are today due to him and everyone should be grateful to him as he is a saint.

No mention of huge crowds, bigger than average budgets, fantastic fundraising by the fans.

In fact no recognition of work of fans or anyone else in the rise back of Darlington.

He comes across as an egotistical, self centred individual who has a huge chip on his shoulder re the seat scenario last summer.

I can understand why some (including players) are glad he has gone

theoriginalfatcat

Re: Martin Gray Story/ Interview in today's Non League Paper

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:00 am

There's been lots of stuff written on here about Gray.

In my opinion the best and most measured post to date has been written by “DFCGH” - he wrote ...

"I think Gray did care about the club when he first took on the role. He was in it for all the right reasons. Quick progress and achievements on the pitch led to him being seen by others as one of the best managers in non league, his ego grew and he became completely blinded by his own ego and ruthless ambition to get himself as high up the pyramid as he can regardless of who he screws over on the way"
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:16 am

I’ve heard he was looking to leave at the end of last season but there were no offers on the table at that point. Just a shame he didn’t go then, then he would have left without as much animosity as there is now.
Suppose in football it’s easier to get a job when you are in one.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:22 am

No one can deny he produced results on the pitch, but his lack of acknowledgement of anything done by all the volunteers grated with me

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:There's been lots of stuff written on here about Gray.

In my opinion the best and most measured post to date has been written by “DFCGH” - he wrote ...

"I think Gray did care about the club when he first took on the role. He was in it for all the right reasons. Quick progress and achievements on the pitch led to him being seen by others as one of the best managers in non league, his ego grew and he became completely blinded by his own ego and ruthless ambition to get himself as high up the pyramid as he can regardless of who he screws over on the way"
I agree with this view. Gray out grew the club in terms of ambition and the club's immediate position to provide this. I was pro-Gray but the more that comes out now that he has left and his interviews away from DFC my opinion has changed. His achievements will still be appreciated and all in all he has left the club in a reasonable position, however the terms on how he has left are bitter and sour. Another difficulty, with him leaving and as we have found out, is all the interwoven outside links he helped to provide some of our foundations with (MGFA) and insistence on a reserve team (that does what may I ask?).

Now that MG has gone I hope this is an opportunity to clean things up a bit, take a step back and take stock of what we have now and how we keep the progress going. Getting the infrastructure and seating extension completed will help in the long run but maybe this season might just temper on field expectations for once.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:10 pm

spen666 wrote:No one can deny he produced results on the pitch, but his lack of acknowledgement of anything done by all the volunteers grated with me
Depends what questions he was asked during the interview. As you haven't posted it we are completely dependent on your interpretation.

Also, who starts a new job and says that their previous achievements were really down to other people and that they had a load of money to spend so it was easy? Get real please.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Someone with a bit of integrity?

bga

Post by bga » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:38 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:There's been lots of stuff written on here about Gray.

I agree with this view. Gray out grew the club in terms of ambition and the club's immediate position to provide this. I was pro-Gray but the more that comes out now that he has left and his interviews away from DFC my opinion has changed. His achievements will still be appreciated and all in all he has left the club in a reasonable position, however the terms on how he has left are bitter and sour. Another difficulty, with him leaving and as we have found out, is all the interwoven outside links he helped to provide some of our foundations with (MGFA) and insistence on a reserve team (that does what may I ask?).

Now that MG has gone I hope this is an opportunity to clean things up a bit, take a step back and take stock of what we have now and how we keep the progress going. Getting the infrastructure and seating extension completed will help in the long run but maybe this season might just temper on field expectations for once.
Regards your question about the Reserves see below from last Friday's Netcafe.
"(Background) The previous Manager stated a couple of years ago that he wanted amongst other things, a Reserve Team to help take the Club forward. It seems clear that for the foreseeable future Reserve Team players are unlikely to be challenging for a place in the First Team, based on the current level at which they play. It is accepted the Reserve Team can also be used for First Team players recovering from injury, but players going out on loan is another possible cheaper way of achieving this also.

(Question) Following the recent change in management does Darlington FC intend continuing with a Reserve Team? If yes please explain how this benefits Darlington FC now and in the future, and in particular the First Team. When is it envisaged any Reserve Team players may make the breakthrough to the First Team.
(Answer) Yes, we remain committed to our Reserve team and we have 2 individuals who we believe can progress to the First team in the next 2 seasons.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:56 pm

In terms of Grays insistence of a reserve team, is anyone thinking what I'm thinking? In that having a reserve team he could have used players from the MGFA as and when to see if any players could cut it. Again lines were blurred and Gray has done well out of the last 5 years though I appreciate he has put a lot of work in!
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:29 am

spen666 wrote:Interview is on Page 5.

I can't link to it online, but basically my reading of it is that MG thinks Darlington are only where they are today due to him and everyone should be grateful to him as he is a saint.

No mention of huge crowds, bigger than average budgets, fantastic fundraising by the fans.

In fact no recognition of work of fans or anyone else in the rise back of Darlington.

He comes across as an egotistical, self centred individual who has a huge chip on his shoulder re the seat scenario last summer.

I can understand why some (including players) are glad he has gone
I have took a picture on my phone...

Quite Clear as well

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201710 ... bd8eae.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:25 pm

Shame he didn't go in pre season, i agree. Would've given whoever is new the chance to mould the team in a way they would want. Very hard to do that in the middle of the season. Think we need to be patient with whoever comes in for this very reason.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:09 pm

To be fair he sounds reasonable gratuitous saying that he will always look out for darlo results at 5PM on a Saturday afternoon. He does say that they did a lot of work and it was hard work but he's not going to say it was easy.

I get more annoyed when he makes reference to our structure being wrong as if that is the fans fault in someway - he didn't do that in the article from what I could make out.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:20 pm

"Shockingly bad performance"

"An insult to call them professional footballers,utter garbage"

"Totally embarrassing performance"

"OMG Whatever has happened to our football team"

"Gutless performance"

"We HAVE to get the ball down"

Some of the York fans' comments after their defeat to Salford. And the keeper Gray's brought in on loan is, by all accounts, utter dog s***.

I hear word that Gray will attempt to come back for one or two more of our players.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:29 pm

He can try but now we are under new management, it will be a lot harder for him to just nickpick who he wants from our squad, unless of course he meets their buy out clauses. Judging by the reaction from some of the players, not many will want to play under his tactics and management style again anyway.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Will go back in for Beck once he's fit enough to pass a medical.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:35 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Will go back in for Beck once he's fit enough to pass a medical.
I'm sure York fans will be overjoyed at signing 'another striker'. Some things will never change with MG.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Will go back in for Beck once he's fit enough to pass a medical.
I'm sure York fans will be overjoyed at signing 'another striker'. Some things will never change with MG.
Absolutely.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:59 pm

LoidLucan wrote:"Shockingly bad performance"

"An insult to call them professional footballers,utter garbage"

"Totally embarrassing performance"

"OMG Whatever has happened to our football team"

"Gutless performance"

"We HAVE to get the ball down"

Some of the York fans' comments after their defeat to Salford. And the keeper Gray's brought in on loan is, by all accounts, utter dog s***.

I hear word that Gray will attempt to come back for one or two more of our players.

I listened to BBC York in the car on the way home from the match. There was some right moaning going on from various York fans who had sent in texts. One of them said something like "Gray's deluded if he thinks he can finish top of the league"

:D
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Lookingbetter
Team Supported: York city

Post by Lookingbetter » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:17 am

PLEASE PLEASE TAKE HIM BACK WE DONT WANT HIM HERE WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH RUBBISH WITHOUT THIS LATEST IDIOT

Lookingbetter
Team Supported: York city

Post by Lookingbetter » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:20 am

He stabbed Gary in the back so will never be a winner here at York , we want Mcgill out and Gray with him.
Glad you won today , you do things the decent way

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:36 am

Funny to hear the honeymoon period for Gray has already finished.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:10 am

It's a funny old world, you get what you deserve ,Gray thought he was in frying pan he's now in the fire, hope he gets burnt,
I was a supporter of martin gray a one time.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:11 am

If you were an uninformed reader of the article, you would think that MG had got the club to where we are now without the help of anyone else. No mention of the players, volunteers, fans and board's contribution to our success.
Anyway, now is the start of a new chapter and hopefully we can close out the MG saga.
Onward & upward, Darlo! :thumbup:

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:46 pm

Just watched his interview after the Salford defeat and what came across was his patience and general manner towards the guy interviewing him, the total opposite of his short, sharp answers with Ray and his face looking like thunder.He gave lengthy answers to the questions and put a positive spin on anything negative being asked.Still going for the title, 80 points to play for (???),should have had 2 wins and a draw in his 3 games in charge,got to tighten up on set pieces,should have at least drawn to Salford, the keeper made mistakes but he will learn from them,will put his stamp on York in the way MG's sides need to play blah,blah.Total Pollock, looks like the York fans are starting to put a bit of pressure on him already.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:48 pm

Meant total pillock not Pollock.Where did that word come from?

Darlospike

Post by Darlospike » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:32 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Meant total pillock not Pollock.Where did that word come from?

Sounds a bit fishy to me....

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:35 pm

It's polite for Bollocks

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:39 pm

I picked up a little gem from Gray at his initial press conference after taking up the York job - I"m sure it was from there, although might have been from a recent radio thing.

By memory he says 'it's not about the money, it's about giving something back to the city'

He is a card!
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlospike

Post by Darlospike » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:45 pm

I can think of a four letter C word for him and it isn't card!!

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:27 pm

Can't wait to see Gray,s reaction if a Darlington company decides to put 2m into our football club.