Mark Beck

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Mark Beck

Post by poppyfield » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:52 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
wizardofos wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
wizardofos wrote:Actually:
2016 accounts: Revenue £350,000. Costs other than playing and coaching staff: £253,000.
2015 accounts: Revenue £345,000. Costs other than playing and coaching staff: £238,000.
Are you sure about that?

So we had £100k of playing / coaching staff costs. On a basis of having 20 'salaries' 16 players plus 4 staff that would mean an average of £4,850 per annum each. That equates to £105 per match.

I don't believe for a second our players are only earning £105 per match.
Players, Staff, Fees paid each season for players/signing on

2014-2015 - 238k (Player Staff wages only - 223.5k)
2015-2016 - 273k (Player Staff wages only - 249k)
Losses for 2016 were (£174,000), and 2015 (£78,000).
Unless the other costs can be cut back, it's easy to see how much is actually available for players and coaches
Those losses also include 68k of Amortisation of Goodwill each season which in reality I don't believe is money going out of the club. Although I am no accountancy expert.
'Amortisation' what does that word mean?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:11 am

poppyfield wrote: ....

Its the writing down of the value of assets.

Think of it as being like depreciation. It is not cash being directly paid out, but is a reflection of the reducing value of assets and the need to replace them over time. It is a way of spreading the cost of an asset over time

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:11 am

It's the reduction in the value of your assets. With football accounts it essentially means that your players lose value over time as their contracts run down, so that diminishes the value of your biggest assets and amounts to a loss. If there's a figure on the accounts called ebitda or operating profit those figures tend to tell you how you're doing profit wise on more of a money-only basis.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:20 am

spen666 wrote:
poppyfield wrote: ....

Its the writing down of the value of assets.

Think of it as being like depreciation. It is not cash being directly paid out, but is a reflection of the reducing value of assets and the need to replace them over time. It is a way of spreading the cost of an asset over time
Thanks.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:44 am

I would doubt that our players will be holding any value in the accounts as an asset if I am honest. Suspect most of our 'assets' will be the purchase of a stand which will have depreciation applied to it.

Without being too simplistic or teaching to suck eggs our assets will basically decrease by the value of the amortisation/depreciation posted to the P&L.

At the point we bought the assets it may not have touched the P&L strictly speaking as the balancing entry from our 'cash reserves' would have been posted as an increase in tangible assets.

That said it is 8 years since I touched any double entry book keeping... :shock:

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:06 pm

Always a worry when staff costs are such a high proportion of revenue.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:23 pm

princes town wrote:Always a worry when staff costs are such a high proportion of revenue.
Also a worry when staff leavers are not being replaced. The squad is looking very stretched with long term injuries and yellow cards building up. Think the honeymoon is over and TW needs to start signing some talent, preferably without breaking the budget :thumbup:

coles

Post by coles » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:21 pm

jjljks wrote:
princes town wrote:Always a worry when staff costs are such a high proportion of revenue.
Also a worry when staff leavers are not being replaced. The squad is looking very stretched with long term injuries and yellow cards building up. Think the honeymoon is over and TW needs to start signing some talent, preferably without breaking the budget :thumbup:
Give the guys a chance they have been dealing with outgoings and I'm sure they are busy trying to bring players in. Patience and calm heads are required it's clearly a transitional process that we are going through

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:56 pm

jjljks wrote:
Talent comes at a price, otherwise everybody would be signing up the talented players. Unfortunately we can't afford to buy expensive players, you only get what you pay for.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Talent comes at a price, otherwise everybody would be signing up the talented players. Unfortunately we can't afford to buy expensive players, you only get what you pay for.
Gabbiadini came on a 'Free' :)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:03 pm

Must hope to get some loan players in soon

princes town

Post by princes town » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:58 pm

Interesting comment from Andy Toman on the tin shed that decent players can be secured at a value price with the right contacts, I still think we are a club with sufficient stature to attract decent part-time talent. Few players who leave darlo whinge about their time here and some lads just want game time. I guess potential avenues would be big 3 academies (match experience) where wages could be offset, developing the youth structure and simply spotting and coaching undervalued local talent ("buried treasure"). The latter is the most difficult as a lot of grassroots NE games are well-screend by scouts these days. I suspect the days of cherrypicking exposed talent are gone as the outlay will be high. we can't compete with the harrogate/Salford methods. TW should be given the time he needs as some of these strands won't produce "instant" results. I agree with Coles a patient approach is required.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:23 pm

Beano wrote:We’ve got the release clause fee for someone who is injured, may not recapture his former self, and doesn’t want to be here.

Best case scenario.
Totally agree with you. Echo today reports a possible £30,000 fee, but being realistic don't think we got him on a free transfer (did we?) so we would have paid a probable "hefty" fee to sign him. I think it is great business for the club to sell someone who according to TW last week, had not even started running yet as part of his rehabilitation! :thumbup:

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:25 pm

Far as I know we got him for a free as he had been released by either Wrexham or Yeovil? 1 of the 2.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:36 pm

bga wrote:
Beano wrote:We’ve got the release clause fee for someone who is injured, may not recapture his former self, and doesn’t want to be here.

Best case scenario.
Totally agree with you. Echo today reports a possible £30,000 fee, but being realistic don't think we got him on a free transfer (did we?) so we would have paid a probable "hefty" fee to sign him. I think it is great business for the club to sell someone who according to TW last week, had not even started running yet as part of his rehabilitation! :thumbup:
He was a free transfer, we no doubt paid a signing on fee though.

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:42 pm

princes town wrote:Interesting comment from Andy Toman on the tin shed that decent players can be secured at a value price with the right contacts, I still think we are a club with sufficient stature to attract decent part-time talent. Few players who leave darlo whinge about their time here and some lads just want game time. I guess potential avenues would be big 3 academies (match experience) where wages could be offset, developing the youth structure and simply spotting and coaching undervalued local talent ("buried treasure"). The latter is the most difficult as a lot of grassroots NE games are well-screend by scouts these days. I suspect the days of cherrypicking exposed talent are gone as the outlay will be high. we can't compete with the harrogate/Salford methods. TW should be given the time he needs as some of these strands won't produce "instant" results. I agree with Coles a patient approach is required.
The same Andy Toman who was calling for players to be signed before any sales took place. Excuse my large pinch of salt.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:10 pm

The same Andy Toman who has very little managerial experience beyond Northern League level. Princes Town's obsession is bordering on the embarrassing.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

bga

Post by bga » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:01 pm

bga wrote:

Best case scenario.
He was a free transfer, we no doubt paid a signing on fee though.
For "hefty fee" should probably read "hefty signing on" fee, but I guess we will never know as the Club's published accounts don't show individual player amounts just a total for the year.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:25 pm

Darlogramps wrote:The same Andy Toman who has very little managerial experience beyond Northern League level. Princes Town's obsession is bordering on the embarrassing.
Andy Toman is probably correct to be fair - if you have the right contacts you probably can bag the odd bargain here or there. Much like the example of Gabbiadini 20 years ago - and when you look at the likes of Brown, Thompson, Galbraith who have been with us through several promotions then they've certainly proved good value for money as well.

However I don't think Andy Toman is showing any particular insight in suggesting this. It's pretty clear to anyone that good contacts make player recruitment easier.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:45 pm

Spyman wrote:Much like the example of Gabbiadini 20 years ago
That sounds so depressing!!! Seems like yesterday still!!!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:53 pm

loan_star wrote:
Spyman wrote:Much like the example of Gabbiadini 20 years ago
That sounds so depressing!!! Seems like yesterday still!!!
Tell me about it!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Be interesting to see if he is in the Harrogate Squad at weekend

princes town

Post by princes town » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:28 pm

tezza wrote:Be interesting to see if he is in the Harrogate Squad at weekend
Tommy Wright suggested in his interview that Beck was a still a couple of weeks off being fully fit if I remember correctly.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:29 pm

"New signing Mark Beck is not quite ready for action", says the official preview.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:48 pm

LoidLucan wrote:"New signing Mark Beck is not quite ready for action", says the official preview.
Their preview for tonight's match says" Beck pushing for his Harrogate debut against his former club!" Oh no.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:36 pm

bga wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:"New signing Mark Beck is not quite ready for action", says the official preview.
Their preview for tonight's match says" Beck pushing for his Harrogate debut against his former club!" Oh no.
Oh no?

He's an immobile shite plank with 1 goal to his name this season. We're laughing if he's playing. :clap:

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

bga

Post by bga » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Quakerz wrote:
bga wrote:
Oh no?

He's an immobile shite plank with 1 goal to his name this season. We're laughing if he's playing. :clap:
Have you heard the one about the ex-player who came back to...........his old club? I never thought Beck was as good as some on here but he did find the net 18 times was it last season, so hardly shite! :thumbup:

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:30 pm

bga wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
bga wrote:
Oh no?

Have you heard the one about the ex-player who came back to...........his old club? I never thought Beck was as good as some on here but he did find the net 18 times was it last season, so hardly shite! :thumbup:
I thought he was alright last season TBH, nice touch for a big lad etc.

But this season - different story. No goal threat whatsoever, not on the pace, obviously not fit with the injury. I can't see him suddenly being fit and in top form tonight.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

bga

Post by bga » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Quakerz wrote:
bga wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
bga wrote:
Oh no?

I thought he was alright last season TBH, nice touch for a big lad etc.

But this season - different story. No goal threat whatsoever, not on the pace, obviously not fit with the injury. I can't see him suddenly being fit and in top form tonight.
:thumbup:

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:05 pm

Speaking tonight he said he should be availed for Harrogate next week