Mark Beck

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

bga
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Mark Beck

Post by bga » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:42 pm

jjljks wrote:If the lad really wants to stay then he has to be an asset and an option to lead the line. From the Stockport game it was obvious we needed a big presence up front to vary the threats, so if his heart is with Darlo then brilliant.
On the other hand, if he wants to go then Darlo need the real market value for him.
Slightly worried that the rumours about him doing a medical at York - did he fail & that is why he turned up at BM v. County. Is he really injured hence the loss of his goalscoring touch? Hope not, as on his day he is a real threat.
Echo reports yesterday he failed his medical at York. I must therefore eat humble pie as I questioned on another thread whether he really was injured! Apologies Becky.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:36 pm

Beck is "still on Gray's radar" according to the York Press.

Mark is contracted until 2019, with another years' option in favour of the club. A very good player who we certainly shouldn't be in any rush to sell and waver at a cut-price because he is temporarily injured.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:47 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Beck is "still on Gray's radar" according to the York Press.

Mark is contracted until 2019, with another years' option in favour of the club. A very good player who we certainly shouldn't be in any rush to sell and waver at a cut-price because he is temporarily injured.
Yep. Plus he's only injured cos of Grays constant need to play him regardless cos he lacked anything resembling a plan b.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:37 am

Hopefully the new manager will be allowed to assess Beck's suitability for the team, before he decides to leave us for York.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:29 am

Darlofan97 wrote:Beck is "still on Gray's radar" according to the York Press.

Completely agree. Let's get him fit again and he'll be an asset as he was last season.

Who knows? If he has a good season he may attract interest from full time clubs further up the pyramid.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:35 pm

onewayup wrote:Mark Beck is a Darlington f.c player, I have doubts about him going to york.
Time will tell one way or other. I think he gives us options , he can stay for me if he's in the right frame of mind,.
Mark Beck will stay with Darlington , I firmly believe that.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:44 pm

DJ confirmed he is going nowhere, about an hour ago.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

bga

Post by bga » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:54 pm

Quakerz wrote:DJ confirmed he is going nowhere, about an hour ago.
Surely he is going nowhere because he cannot pass a medical? Also it presumably is for the new Manager to decide who is in and who is out?

Darlojohn99

Post by Darlojohn99 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:59 pm

I hope all this gets sorted out. One hand we could do with the little cash that could our way and when Beck is sorted passes a medical. It could be one of them where the new gaffer doesn’t fancy him and we play a different type of football, he could stuck on the bench and sees out the contract and lose him on a free.

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:01 pm

We don't have many strikers without beck, so we'd need to sign a replacement if he left. Selling him wouldn't be simply profit for fixing other areas of the club. I'm glad he's staying, can be a real threat on his day.

aveda

Post by aveda » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:25 pm

I'd love Beck to stay. He's a much better player than the one dimensional role he was asked to play. No reason why he can't play the style we played on Saturday as he's good on the floor as well as in the air

aveda

Post by aveda » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:25 pm

I'd love Beck to stay. He's a much better player than the one dimensional role he was asked to play. No reason why he can't play the style we played on Saturday as he's good on the floor as well as in the air

bga

Post by bga » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:55 pm

aveda wrote:I'd love Beck to stay. He's a much better player than the one dimensional role he was asked to play. No reason why he can't play the style we played on Saturday as he's good on the floor as well as in the air
Not being funny but I have only ever seen him play the "one dimensional role" not sure any of us (myself included) can really judge if he can play any other way? Hopefully he is versatile.

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:41 am

"York City have signed striker Gary Martin on a short-term deal ahead of Saturday’s Vanarama National League North game against Curzon Ashton"

Seems MG is desperate to increase firepower up front: Not willing to back his judgement with a long term deal, seems more like short term hope strategy to me.
Does he know Mendes available. ??

divas

Post by divas » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:52 am

An interesting signing, a Darlo lad who was certainly well thought of when he was with Boro, moved over to Auckland and banged the goals in. These lads that have gone abroad and done well certainly have a good profile - dare I say he'd have been a good acquisition for us. Think this probably goes to show the worth of Harry's Dunn having the contacts to know when lads like Martin and Rowe become available

With all of these Gray's, Gary's and Martin's the York fans must wonder what's going on!

Big of digging shows he's back off to Norway in Jan so guess that's the reason it's a short term deal at york

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:56 am

On the subject of Beck, I see Wright in the Echo today has been saying he shouldn't be out too much longer. Would be a massive boost to the team if we can get him back on the pitch for us

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:06 pm

al_quaker wrote:On the subject of Beck, I see Wright in the Echo today has been saying he shouldn't be out too much longer. Would be a massive boost to the team if we can get him back on the pitch for us
will be very useful to us now that he won't be asked to just flick on hopeful long balls to absolutely nobody.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:30 pm

bga wrote: Not being funny but I have only ever seen him play the "one dimensional role" not sure any of us (myself included) can really judge if he can play any other way? Hopefully he is versatile.
You must have missed the numerous times he did very well with the ball at his feet then!

Darlo were aware of Gary Martins availability but it seems the managerial appointment came at the wrong time to pursue this properly.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:39 pm

By my reckoning that's striker number six on york's books... and the fans reckon it's the defence that's crap.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:05 pm

That's 5 signings that Gray has made since joining York. The expression "kid in a sweet shop" springs to mind.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:22 pm

Quakerz wrote:That's 5 signings that Gray has made since joining York. The expression "kid in a sweet shop" springs to mind.
McGill surely cannot keep pumping money in Gray's direction, they must have a massive squad by now, that's 2 new strikers in a week and more than likely waiting for Beck to prove his fitness before making a move for him.My big concern is that we now have Spenny,S Shields,Blyth and now York to compete with for new players and like Divas said, we may have been aware of this lad but having Harry Dunn on board might keep them ahead of us regarding availability regardless of full time contracts.Really cannot understand Grays obsession with signing strikers ,just wonder when McGill will tell him enough is enough and pull the plug on his spending, must be imminent surely.Come on Curzon we are all rooting for you on Saturday, would love it if they beat the mighty full time York and put Gray under even more pressure.

quakermass

Post by quakermass » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:51 pm

Even with Beck fit we still need another forward. We’re wafer thin in that department and unfortunately both Carts and Saunders rarely look like scoring. Until we bring in a decent forward I’m struggling to see where our next wins coming from (hope I’m wrong tho).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:28 pm

I think TW will want to see Beck in action, before looking to bring somebody in. But I agree Cartman and Saunders at the moment, don't look very prolific.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:33 pm

tezza wrote:"York City have signed striker Gary Martin on a short-term deal ahead of Saturday’s Vanarama National League North game against Curzon Ashton"

Seems MG is desperate to increase firepower up front: Not willing to back his judgement with a long term deal, seems more like short term hope strategy to me.
Martin is only back in the UK short term. Pretty sure he scored for Darlington Albion in Sunday league last weekend.

To be fair he played in the Champions League last season and has been generally playing top tier admittedly in Iceland / Belgium mind so would expect he will be decent enough. Was briefly hoping we could have got him on a short term deal as well.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:41 pm

You can't blame gray tho... he did only have another five to choose from.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:02 pm

tezza wrote:"York City have signed striker Gary Martin on a short-term deal ahead of Saturday’s Vanarama National League North game against Curzon Ashton"

https://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/ ... ty-forward

Interesting, we made the call but he had already given MG his word to sign for York.

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:33 pm

Gary Martin is a superb player. Shame.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:47 pm

AndyPark wrote:

https://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/ ... ty-forward

Interesting, we made the call but he had already given MG his word to sign for York.
And we all know Martin Gray lives and dies by 'his word'.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:09 pm

wonder if he doesn't like Morgan-Smith. I'd take him

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:39 pm

Gary Martin is off to Lillestrom in January anyway, he's just at York short-term to cover Louis Almond dislocating his shoulder against Tamworth.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.