Mark Beck

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Mark Beck

Post by al_quaker » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:29 pm

H1987 wrote:Grim. Hope we got a decent fee.

We probably need to keep the money and try and find a bargain, in case the crowds continue to suffer.
If we get 2000 v Salford and Blyth, and 2500 v York, then crowds for the rest of the games can continue to be 1200ish and we'd still average about 1500 over the course of the season. I'd hope we haven't budgeted for crowds much bigger than that.

Money has to be reinvested in the squad. Beck and Ferguson would've been among our biggest earners, and lets not forget we've probably cut down on coaching wages too. If we don't freshen up the squad then we're in real trouble on the pitch. We can't go with a frontline of Cartman Saunders and Caton for the rest of the season

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:32 pm

On his day he was a great player for us. Sad to see him go to Harrogate, but prefer he goes there rather than to York. I'm sure he'll get a great reception when he returns to Darlo over the festive period. We should also get a bumper crowd against Harrogate, as they should bring a few.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:33 pm

Great news, Beck's done fuck all this season. A decent wage saved on top of the Gray entourage.

Now lets try and get a half decent striker in on a realistic wage, perhaps someone from the Evostik or even Northern League.

Without wanting to go all ex Darlo about it, I'd have Campbell or Purewal back. Purewal I think could have played at this level but Gray didn't give him enough time after his injury.
Last edited by Quakerz on Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:37 pm

GaryChapman=God wrote:Sad to see him go. And it looks like it is Bartlett to York next. Difficult times ahead I think
Come on, you've got to get an "I told you so" in there for Harry ;)

Hope you're wrong about Bartlett, I was thinking that he perhaps wasn't Gray's biggest fan. York fans seemed to think that Shane Bland to York was a done deal the other day.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

GaryChapman=God

Post by GaryChapman=God » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:40 pm

Haha. I won’t do that.
Last edited by GaryChapman=God on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:46 pm

We should be OK with Ed in goal, though obviously no other keeper at this level is as good as Bartlett.

The biggest problem we have is the defence. Collins is decent but can never string two games together without getting injured, Brown's injury seems to be never ending and Burgess isn't good enough. Neither is Scott good enough at left back, and TBH I don't think Marrs is that great either - I think Hunter is better. Obviously Hunter is out for a while too.

The only solution is to dial X for big Ex - he can car share with Tommy to training.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:51 pm

I'd be gutted if Bartlett goes, particularly after he said he wanted to stay when Gray came asking the first time. As mentioned though, Ed is a competent keeper at this level.

OK the Ferguson money covered debt. Fair enough, although annoying because of the reason the debt was there. However, this new influx of money/wage savings simply has to be reinvested in some good quality players otherwise we're going to be dragged into the relegation fight. A striker is an absolutely necessity, and a CB and a wide player with a bit of pace would also be near the top of my shopping list if the money can stretch that far. Working our way up through the Evostik leagues was one thing - being relegated back into them would be a disaster.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:03 pm

offside wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
GaryChapman=God wrote:I have heard that a bid has been made for beck by Harrogate. From what I hear it’s very unlikely we will see him in a Darlo shirt again
Talking Shite again!!!
Oopppppps dont think he was talking shite i see!!!
Harry's not having a good time of it recently. He shot Nimrod down in flames when he predicted Gray would go to York too. I think he must work for the Daily Express.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:23 pm

We better really hope that we have made a wise choice in our managerial appointment. When you look at the tough run of games lined up, the injuries, player movements, the downward spiral of our results and weaknesses in our play I reckon TW is going to have his work cut out and will have to really show his abilities as a manager in forging an effective fighting unit.

It's a tough league and there is no doubt that we could very easily be sucked into a battle at the wrong end. But obviously TW really wanted the job, presumably knows what the task is and he has said he is confident of making a success of it. Hopefully he's got the plan mapped out on how to take us forward.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:25 pm

I still think there are 3 teams worse than us in this division but we do need to find a few results soon though. As long as we finish mid table this season I'm reasonably happy given be turmoil. Fact is two wins and we are back in playoff contention, 2 defeats well...

Need to get our ground up to scratch, get our budget set properly (crowds of average 1,300) and maybe just try and plough on until the 500 club expires.

It may not be until that point that we will have a reasonable bash at promotion from this division.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:33 pm

The team that's third bottom beat us really easily a few weeks ago and with better finishing would have had about five by half-time.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:34 pm

Surprised that Gray did not try to come back again for Beck, just wonder if McGill is reigning him in a bit on his spending as their squad numbers are pretty substantial.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:47 pm

Good luck to him, FT football and a chance to progress.

Something we can't offer him at the moment. We need to invest in the playing squad asap though as we've got hardly any fucker. No scorers in us at all.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:49 pm

I wonder whether Alan White might suggest a loan move for Graeme Armstrong. He's still available and at least you'd know what you would get with him. Would be good to get some presence up front.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:58 pm

Sad to see Beck go, but given his injury I think any transfer fee is a bonus for us. All the best to the lad, just hope he doesn't play against us this season. :clap:

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:09 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
GaryChapman=God wrote:I have heard that a bid has been made for beck by Harrogate. From what I hear it’s very unlikely we will see him in a Darlo shirt again
Talking Shite again!!!
I apologise wholeheartedly Gary... I do love a wind up...

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:42 pm

As long as this does not demoralise the rest of the players

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:45 pm

Well another has already jumped ship....

Ffs. Cheers Martin for the fine mess you've left us in.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:50 pm

Word out on Twitter is that Gillies to South Shields is next.

I hope so, another big wage saved - been too pea hearted this season.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:55 pm

Quakerz wrote:Word out on Twitter is that Gillies to South Shields is next.

Apparently all been sorted today and we are waiting on South Shields to confirm the deal and publicise it.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Surprised they need strengthening... they looked a cut above us in every single department in our customary opening-round farewell to the FA Cup.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Unbelievable player on his day is Gillies but is an expensive luxury.

What annoys me is the likes of Wearmouth was never given a chance after injury and was bombed out.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Trouble is any new players will take time to settle in

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Quakerz wrote:Word out on Twitter is that Gillies to South Shields is next.

Well said Quakerz.

A few of the players on 2 year deals who are underperforming gone will be useful (Not Bartlett obviously). This won't be a millstone around our necks for next year now.
Absolutely essential we refresh the squad sensibly and AW and TW can start to put their own stamp on things. With these goings, has TW and AW had a chat about things I wonder?
Last edited by Vodka_Vic on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:06 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Surprised they need strengthening... they looked a cut above us in every single department in our customary opening-round farewell to the FA Cup.
I think Shields are looking at next season already.Level on points at the top with three games in hand they look nailed on for promotion

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:08 pm

Wonder if someone will swoop for Caton next... mind, who will score the goals then?

Beano

Mark Beck

Post by Beano » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:13 pm

I genuinely don’t see Ferguson, Bartlett, Beck and Gillies leaving as even remotely a bad thing.

Arguably our four biggest earners going, and we now have scope for our new management team to mould the squad to their own style.

Bartlett has been sensational this season, but I don’t begrudge the bloke a last shot as a pro.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:15 pm

LoidLucan wrote:The team that's third bottom beat us really easily a few weeks ago and with better finishing would have had about five by half-time.
And? By my reckoning there are 6 teams below us? Did I say that the three lowest place were the worst?

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:17 pm

So it's panning out exactly like MG said it would without an investor, and exactly like many of us thought it would too. Manager go,s quickly followed by all the best players, team struggles, attendances struggle and we are into a vicious downward circle!

Some say we cannot blame them for leaving for full time football? Do you seriously think we would not still have Beck, Bartlett, Ferguson and now probably Gillies too if we had still been part time but challenging the top of the table, of course we would.

Buy hey, that would have meant investment, and going against the principles of a "fan owned club" . Someone even said earlier, no problem if we get relegated-we rebuild and go again, seriously! That's what you are happy with.?

We won't get into the same old same old about fan owned compared to investor owned, but there are many of us who would rather take that sort of option, subject to plenty of assurances, than the absolute mess we are in yet again. Please also don't use the "we will be fine in 3 years when 500 club ends" because it may be a bit late then.

Sure I will get the usual stick from the usual people, but just respect we all have different opinions.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:18 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Trouble is any new players will take time to settle in
Trouble is, a lot of our settled players are injured, or not good enough, or overpaid.

If we bring in 3 or 4 strangers we can't do any worse