Advertise Here
You are here: darlofc.co.uk » Board index » The Uncovered Forums » Virtual Feethams
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:12 am View unanswered posts | View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Posts: 1064
Team Supported: Darlington
Interview is on Page 5.

I can't link to it online, but basically my reading of it is that MG thinks Darlington are only where they are today due to him and everyone should be grateful to him as he is a saint.

No mention of huge crowds, bigger than average budgets, fantastic fundraising by the fans.

In fact no recognition of work of fans or anyone else in the rise back of Darlington.

He comes across as an egotistical, self centred individual who has a huge chip on his shoulder re the seat scenario last summer.

I can understand why some (including players) are glad he has gone

_________________
_________________________________________________________________
Follow me on

Blog: www.spen666.wordpress.com

Twitter: @spen_666


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Posts: 3028
Team Supported: Darlington
There's been lots of stuff written on here about Gray.

In my opinion the best and most measured post to date has been written by “DFCGH” - he wrote ...

"I think Gray did care about the club when he first took on the role. He was in it for all the right reasons. Quick progress and achievements on the pitch led to him being seen by others as one of the best managers in non league, his ego grew and he became completely blinded by his own ego and ruthless ambition to get himself as high up the pyramid as he can regardless of who he screws over on the way"

_________________
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Posts: 1418
Team Supported: Darlington
I’ve heard he was looking to leave at the end of last season but there were no offers on the table at that point. Just a shame he didn’t go then, then he would have left without as much animosity as there is now.
Suppose in football it’s easier to get a job when you are in one.

_________________
“Steve Beaton - The adonis of darts, what poise, what elegance - a true roman gladiator with plenty of hair wax.”
R.I.P Sid Waddell


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Posts: 1064
Team Supported: Darlington
No one can deny he produced results on the pitch, but his lack of acknowledgement of anything done by all the volunteers grated with me

_________________
_________________________________________________________________
Follow me on

Blog: www.spen666.wordpress.com

Twitter: @spen_666


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:06 pm
Posts: 661
Team Supported: Darlington
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
There's been lots of stuff written on here about Gray.

In my opinion the best and most measured post to date has been written by “DFCGH” - he wrote ...

"I think Gray did care about the club when he first took on the role. He was in it for all the right reasons. Quick progress and achievements on the pitch led to him being seen by others as one of the best managers in non league, his ego grew and he became completely blinded by his own ego and ruthless ambition to get himself as high up the pyramid as he can regardless of who he screws over on the way"


I agree with this view. Gray out grew the club in terms of ambition and the club's immediate position to provide this. I was pro-Gray but the more that comes out now that he has left and his interviews away from DFC my opinion has changed. His achievements will still be appreciated and all in all he has left the club in a reasonable position, however the terms on how he has left are bitter and sour. Another difficulty, with him leaving and as we have found out, is all the interwoven outside links he helped to provide some of our foundations with (MGFA) and insistence on a reserve team (that does what may I ask?).

Now that MG has gone I hope this is an opportunity to clean things up a bit, take a step back and take stock of what we have now and how we keep the progress going. Getting the infrastructure and seating extension completed will help in the long run but maybe this season might just temper on field expectations for once.

_________________
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm
Posts: 463
Team Supported: Darlington
spen666 wrote:
No one can deny he produced results on the pitch, but his lack of acknowledgement of anything done by all the volunteers grated with me


Depends what questions he was asked during the interview. As you haven't posted it we are completely dependent on your interpretation.

Also, who starts a new job and says that their previous achievements were really down to other people and that they had a load of money to spend so it was easy? Get real please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:23 pm
Posts: 455
Team Supported: Darlington
Someone with a bit of integrity?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 896
Team Supported: Darlington
real_darlo_85 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
There's been lots of stuff written on here about Gray.

In my opinion the best and most measured post to date has been written by “DFCGH” - he wrote ...

"I think Gray did care about the club when he first took on the role. He was in it for all the right reasons. Quick progress and achievements on the pitch led to him being seen by others as one of the best managers in non league, his ego grew and he became completely blinded by his own ego and ruthless ambition to get himself as high up the pyramid as he can regardless of who he screws over on the way"


I agree with this view. Gray out grew the club in terms of ambition and the club's immediate position to provide this. I was pro-Gray but the more that comes out now that he has left and his interviews away from DFC my opinion has changed. His achievements will still be appreciated and all in all he has left the club in a reasonable position, however the terms on how he has left are bitter and sour. Another difficulty, with him leaving and as we have found out, is all the interwoven outside links he helped to provide some of our foundations with (MGFA) and insistence on a reserve team (that does what may I ask?).

Now that MG has gone I hope this is an opportunity to clean things up a bit, take a step back and take stock of what we have now and how we keep the progress going. Getting the infrastructure and seating extension completed will help in the long run but maybe this season might just temper on field expectations for once.

Regards your question about the Reserves see below from last Friday's Netcafe.
"(Background) The previous Manager stated a couple of years ago that he wanted amongst other things, a Reserve Team to help take the Club forward. It seems clear that for the foreseeable future Reserve Team players are unlikely to be challenging for a place in the First Team, based on the current level at which they play. It is accepted the Reserve Team can also be used for First Team players recovering from injury, but players going out on loan is another possible cheaper way of achieving this also.

(Question) Following the recent change in management does Darlington FC intend continuing with a Reserve Team? If yes please explain how this benefits Darlington FC now and in the future, and in particular the First Team. When is it envisaged any Reserve Team players may make the breakthrough to the First Team.
(Answer) Yes, we remain committed to our Reserve team and we have 2 individuals who we believe can progress to the First team in the next 2 seasons.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Posts: 1418
Team Supported: Darlington
In terms of Grays insistence of a reserve team, is anyone thinking what I'm thinking? In that having a reserve team he could have used players from the MGFA as and when to see if any players could cut it. Again lines were blurred and Gray has done well out of the last 5 years though I appreciate he has put a lot of work in!

_________________
“Steve Beaton - The adonis of darts, what poise, what elegance - a true roman gladiator with plenty of hair wax.”
R.I.P Sid Waddell


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:08 am
Posts: 114
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo
spen666 wrote:
Interview is on Page 5.

I can't link to it online, but basically my reading of it is that MG thinks Darlington are only where they are today due to him and everyone should be grateful to him as he is a saint.

No mention of huge crowds, bigger than average budgets, fantastic fundraising by the fans.

In fact no recognition of work of fans or anyone else in the rise back of Darlington.

He comes across as an egotistical, self centred individual who has a huge chip on his shoulder re the seat scenario last summer.

I can understand why some (including players) are glad he has gone
I have took a picture on my phone...

Quite Clear as well

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171009/3afe94f10ba6cb6d362e1f865bbd8eae.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Posts: 458
Team Supported: Darlington
Shame he didn't go in pre season, i agree. Would've given whoever is new the chance to mould the team in a way they would want. Very hard to do that in the middle of the season. Think we need to be patient with whoever comes in for this very reason.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7543
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
To be fair he sounds reasonable gratuitous saying that he will always look out for darlo results at 5PM on a Saturday afternoon. He does say that they did a lot of work and it was hard work but he's not going to say it was easy.

I get more annoyed when he makes reference to our structure being wrong as if that is the fans fault in someway - he didn't do that in the article from what I could make out.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Posts: 1722
Team Supported: Darlington
"Shockingly bad performance"

"An insult to call them professional footballers,utter garbage"

"Totally embarrassing performance"

"OMG Whatever has happened to our football team"

"Gutless performance"

"We HAVE to get the ball down"


Some of the York fans' comments after their defeat to Salford. And the keeper Gray's brought in on loan is, by all accounts, utter dog s***.

I hear word that Gray will attempt to come back for one or two more of our players.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am
Posts: 69
Location: Shropshire
Team Supported: Darlington
He can try but now we are under new management, it will be a lot harder for him to just nickpick who he wants from our squad, unless of course he meets their buy out clauses. Judging by the reaction from some of the players, not many will want to play under his tactics and management style again anyway.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 3860
Team Supported: Darlington
Will go back in for Beck once he's fit enough to pass a medical.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am
Posts: 69
Location: Shropshire
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlofan97 wrote:
Will go back in for Beck once he's fit enough to pass a medical.

I'm sure York fans will be overjoyed at signing 'another striker'. Some things will never change with MG.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 3860
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo_CR wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Will go back in for Beck once he's fit enough to pass a medical.

I'm sure York fans will be overjoyed at signing 'another striker'. Some things will never change with MG.


Absolutely.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Posts: 3028
Team Supported: Darlington
LoidLucan wrote:
"Shockingly bad performance"

"An insult to call them professional footballers,utter garbage"

"Totally embarrassing performance"

"OMG Whatever has happened to our football team"

"Gutless performance"

"We HAVE to get the ball down"


Some of the York fans' comments after their defeat to Salford. And the keeper Gray's brought in on loan is, by all accounts, utter dog s***.

I hear word that Gray will attempt to come back for one or two more of our players.



I listened to BBC York in the car on the way home from the match. There was some right moaning going on from various York fans who had sent in texts. One of them said something like "Gray's deluded if he thinks he can finish top of the league"

:D

_________________
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:49 pm
Posts: 10
Team Supported: York city
PLEASE PLEASE TAKE HIM BACK WE DONT WANT HIM HERE WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH RUBBISH WITHOUT THIS LATEST IDIOT


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:49 pm
Posts: 10
Team Supported: York city
He stabbed Gary in the back so will never be a winner here at York , we want Mcgill out and Gray with him.
Glad you won today , you do things the decent way


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 9784
Team Supported: Darlington
Funny to hear the honeymoon period for Gray has already finished.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Posts: 1265
Team Supported: Darlington
It's a funny old world, you get what you deserve ,Gray thought he was in frying pan he's now in the fire, hope he gets burnt,
I was a supporter of martin gray a one time.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Posts: 595
Team Supported: Darlington
If you were an uninformed reader of the article, you would think that MG had got the club to where we are now without the help of anyone else. No mention of the players, volunteers, fans and board's contribution to our success.
Anyway, now is the start of a new chapter and hopefully we can close out the MG saga.
Onward & upward, Darlo! :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Posts: 1093
Team Supported: Darlington
Just watched his interview after the Salford defeat and what came across was his patience and general manner towards the guy interviewing him, the total opposite of his short, sharp answers with Ray and his face looking like thunder.He gave lengthy answers to the questions and put a positive spin on anything negative being asked.Still going for the title, 80 points to play for (???),should have had 2 wins and a draw in his 3 games in charge,got to tighten up on set pieces,should have at least drawn to Salford, the keeper made mistakes but he will learn from them,will put his stamp on York in the way MG's sides need to play blah,blah.Total Pollock, looks like the York fans are starting to put a bit of pressure on him already.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Posts: 1093
Team Supported: Darlington
Meant total pillock not Pollock.Where did that word come from?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:06 pm
Posts: 339
Location: Sunny Darlo
Team Supported: Darlington
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Meant total pillock not Pollock.Where did that word come from?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk


Sounds a bit fishy to me....

_________________
I like exclamation marks!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:19 pm
Posts: 120
Team Supported: Darlington
It's polite for Bollocks


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Posts: 3028
Team Supported: Darlington
I picked up a little gem from Gray at his initial press conference after taking up the York job - I"m sure it was from there, although might have been from a recent radio thing.

By memory he says 'it's not about the money, it's about giving something back to the city'

He is a card!

_________________
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:06 pm
Posts: 339
Location: Sunny Darlo
Team Supported: Darlington
I can think of a four letter C word for him and it isn't card!!

_________________
I like exclamation marks!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:15 pm
Posts: 339
Team Supported: Darlington
Can't wait to see Gray,s reaction if a Darlington company decides to put 2m into our football club.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group