what is kevin smith up to these days?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlodaz
Team Supported: Darlington

what is kevin smith up to these days?

Post by darlodaz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:42 am

surprised that he has not been mentioned as a possible manager given his link with us.

Spyman

Re: what is kevin smith up to these days?

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:44 am

darlodaz wrote:surprised that he has not been mentioned as a possible manager given his link with us.
What link? That he used to play for us a very long time ago?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:36 am

Great player for this club in his day and part of the folklore history , has no history of football management as far I know, last thing we need is a manager appointed on nostalgic history.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:53 am

Darlopartisan wrote:Great player for this club in his day and part of the folklore history , has no history of football management as far I know, last thing we need is a manager appointed on nostalgic history.
He was assistant manager at Hull City back in I think 2000/2001 something like that. It wasn't a particularly successful stint mind from what I remember!

divas

Post by divas » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:24 am

Was at the game on Saturday

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:38 am

Didn't he apply just about every time the job came up during our last 5/10 years in the Football League?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:48 am

Darlogramps wrote:Didn't he apply just about every time the job came up during our last 5/10 years in the Football League?
Indeed he did
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:14 am

Enjoying his lunch in Taylors Café today

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:17 am

can we get away form thinking the new manager has to be a former Darlo player and start thinking about appointing the right manager?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:30 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:31 am

MKDarlo wrote:can we get away form thinking the new manager has to be a former Darlo player and start thinking about appointing the right manager?
Don't think anybody on this thread has proposed his as an option!
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:55 am

Kev owns a very successful cleaning company. Well he did a few years ago when I used to bump into him. Top guy but not what I'd consider a manager

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:45 pm

What about kev and andy Toman on the coaching side of things im sure both would be good coaches at the club specially Toman

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Seemed to me Kevin Smith always held DFC close to his heart and pretty much knows what we as a club are all about.
He wouldn't be the worst signing we have made in a coaching capacity of some sort especially for the defence (mind he scored some butie own goals haha).

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:51 pm

I'm really not sure higher another coaching staff/management team of ex-pro's with no knowledge of part time football is the best way forward.

Surely this whole Gray situation has shown there can be a huge gulf in expectation between those who have spent their career in a professional football environment to the set-up we have now.

I think we need someone who fully buys in to the set-up and circumstance the club is now in. I'm not sure someone who has been out of the game for 15+ years and only experience within the game comes from professional league football (when even that has changed immeasurably) is what we need.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Craig09 wrote:What about kev and andy Toman on the coaching side of things im sure both would be good coaches at the club specially Toman
excellent shout. Possibly Toman as manager and Smith as coach. I have been wondering about Andy Crosby as well.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:22 pm

princes town wrote:
Craig09 wrote:What about kev and andy Toman on the coaching side of things im sure both would be good coaches at the club specially Toman
excellent shout. Possibly Toman as manager and Smith as coach. I have been wondering about Andy Crosby as well.
Fucking hell yes let's get the band back together!!!

DC

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:29 pm

Spyman wrote:I'm really not sure higher another coaching staff/management team of ex-pro's with no knowledge of part time football is the best way forward.

Surely this whole Gray situation has shown there can be a huge gulf in expectation between those who have spent their career in a professional football environment to the set-up we have now.

I think we need someone who fully buys in to the set-up and circumstance the club is now in. I'm not sure someone who has been out of the game for 15+ years and only experience within the game comes from professional league football (when even that has changed immeasurably) is what we need.

I remember Kevin Smith managing Crook Town once, signed one of my best mates as well.
Cant remember how he did though and was a while back.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:35 pm

I would like Andy Toman & Kevan Smith nowhere near the managers job.

What the heck have the achieved in the last 10 years as managers?

So fuck if they played for us 20/30 years ago. Move on guys.

They wouldn't do anything for us at this level, they don't know the level. They are completely off the scale.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:01 pm

Well said Andy.

Are people really that incapable of looking outside the box for once. Every time our managers job ever comes up, the same old names get mentioned by the same old people. Come on man, get a grip and get your heads back into reality. Living in cloud cuckoo land if you think the likes of Kevan Smith, Andy Toman etc etc would actually be a good appointment.

So frustrating!!!
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:03 pm

princes town wrote:
Billy Miller is devastated he lost your backing so quickly.

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Both good for a night out but def not management material, I hope the board is raising the bar past these two.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:35 pm

It's only a bit of idle chit-chat lads nothing to take seriously.
Personally, I think we are going to go for a big name, the question is who?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:42 pm

darlodaz wrote:It's only a bit of idle chit-chat lads nothing to take seriously.
Personally, I think we are going to go for a big name, the question is who?
Lazaros Christodoulopoulos. Greek guy with a big name. Worth 42 points in Scrabble.

Mohamed Lamine Zemmamouche (54 points) to be his assistant.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:59 pm

haha thought that was funny Darlogramps.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:55 pm

Wasn't Martin Gray an ex Darlo player with no managerial experience till we took a chance on him.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:19 pm

notgnilrad wrote:Wasn't Martin Gray an ex Darlo player with no managerial experience till we took a chance on him.
He'd been caretaker several times at Oldham & with us I believe back in 2009? When Penney left.. Maybe a couple of other occasions with Maddo too.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:48 pm

AndyPark wrote:
notgnilrad wrote:Wasn't Martin Gray an ex Darlo player with no managerial experience till we took a chance on him.
He'd been caretaker several times at Oldham & with us I believe back in 2009? When Penney left.. Maybe a couple of other occasions with Maddo too.
Wasn't great in those games though, I didn't think he would do well but we had some great times under MG.
What I think though is although Kevin Smith would give 150% he would probably not be the one we would need to take the club forward.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:33 am

I'd like to see Smudger involved in some way at the club, I'm not sure what involvement that would be.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:32 am

He was an ex-darlo player with a bit of managerial experience and very recent coaching/assistant management experience who took a job in the Northern League with a club that gave him resources well in excess of what was needed to win that league.

We're in a completely different boat now and we need a different type of manager.

DC