Nuneaton Town v Darlington Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Nuneaton Town v Darlington Match Thread

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:53 pm

FT Nuneaton 2 - 1 Darlo very poor display, as we could have been beat by far more than one goal.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:54 pm

How did South Shields v Poolie finish?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:59 pm

Pools won 2-1

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:02 pm

Thanks Yarblockos. Was hoping that Mariners could put another scalp on their belts ;(

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:05 pm

Lots of possession. Not a lot of quality.

We desperately need some width, and Beck back to give us some presence up front.

Darlojohn99

Post by Darlojohn99 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Poor today. The sooner we get a Permanent Manager in the better, whether it’s the lads in charge now or a new bloke. We were all over the place. Nuneaton are not a good side either.

P.S I couldn’t see anyone of Note in the crowd haha.

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:16 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:SOUTH SHIELDS 1-0 Hartlepool United
2-1 Pools at full time

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:20 pm

Thank feck for bartlett otherwise would have shipped about 7 against a very average side. We need this new boss asap to get us organised before
a relegation fight sets in.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:46 pm

Hopefully a new manager will give the team a lift for next Saturday.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:51 pm

At times the gaps at the back were wider than the Misis, Missip, Missis, err, that big river in the USA.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:22 pm

It was pretty bad today, albeit a very different type of bad to Gray's bad days. Needed more movement off the ball but we created chances.

The defence was all over the place though. We really could have shipped 5 or 6 in the first half. Every time they broke they looked like scoring.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:41 pm

Yet according to today's Echo, the lads were saying the defence and midfield is fine; they just need a striker.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:12 pm

just back from the match ( home game for me)

We were terrible. No shape, no formation and no ideas. Bartlett kept the score respectable. Gave soft goals away again. Scott: Poor. Galbraith: Poor. Very narrow at times despite having Gillies and Tommo on. Odd change going one up when chasing the game but looked better with Syers and Wheatley on. It is a good thing they were so poor or we would have got a whipping.

sigh.

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:21 pm

Just back from the game, well it was an interesting one to say the least. First half was a horror show defensively, could and should have been 5, 6 or 7 to them. We seemed to occasionally get in to a good position then remember we didn't have Beck so passed it out and back again rather than giving the strikers a chance. Cartman in particular was frustrated by this. Second half and another defensive howler, this time a header from a corner rather than being cleared was headed straight into the danger area. The changes made a difference and Wheatley looked like he was able to pass the ball forwards not just sideways. Syers got onto a lot of second balls but ultimately too little too late.

Ratings
Bartlett - 9 - Exceptional game, without him would have been embarrassing
Marrs - 5 - Offered nothing going forward and caught out defensively
Scott - 3 - Sorry but he cannot play left back at this level
Turnbull - 5 - looked knackered
Collins - 6 - Best of the back four
Galbraith - 4 - Poor today
Gillies - 7 - Actually looked interested and tried to defend as well as attack today (was someone watching him?)
Portas - 4 - The game passed him by
Saunders - 8 - Non-stop running and didn't give the defenders a minute
Cartman - 5 - Not because of him so much as his service
Thompson - 5 - Wrong decisions at key times

Syers - 7 - Offered something different in midfield
Wheatley - 7 - Not scared to come forward with the ball
Burgess - 6 - Last resort throwing him up top

With a little work, we still have the makings of a decent team. Bring on the new boss

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Not going to criticise based on the last two weeks. Think Phil and Gary stepped up and will be grateful of the work they have put in for the last couple of weeks.

For me there are some quick wins in this team just from working on defensive shape when we're out of possession. We've been bad at this for a while and it really doesn't take money to solve just time on the training pitch.

We need a new CB someone to play alongside Collins. I don't think Burgess is good enough at this level. Not great positionally and tends to go for a wander to try and make a challenge. Depending on the Beck situation and how quickly he can be back playing we need to look at another forward too.

Looking at the rest of the squad:

GK: Bartlett, Wilczynski

Def: Marrs, Hunter, Brown, Galbraith, Burgess, Collins, Vaulks

Mid: Scott, Portas, Syers, Turnbull, Wheatley

Wide: Gillies, Thompson, Caton, Dawson (loan)

Fwd: Beck, Cartman, Saunders

If we can add a CB and a Fwd I'm happy with that squad till the end of the season. One point I would make I don't think we should be scared to change shape. Looking at that team we have the players to suit a 4-2-3-1 allow Syers to play with some freedom. He does carry a big goal threat from midfield.

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Heard Dawson say it was his last game today and was heading back to Tranmere

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:03 pm

I asked the grey haired guy who was warming up the team if that was Paulo Mendes on the bench and it was. Who is that guy by the way?

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:05 pm

Today was disappointing - I thought after last Saturday's efforts the team would be eager to get the win but they were all over the place with no organisation visible and if we had finished being beaten 7-2 we could not have complained. Bartlett in goal was outstanding and their finishing poor thank goodness. We had plenty of possession but played the ball across the field and back (again not for the first time slow build up giving defences plenty of time to get organised) without creating and often giving the ball away.

I know that we all have our own opinion and I can only give mine but the team today played as individuals for most of the game ( and I understand why that team was picked to start after the effort last week) but given the roasting in the first half we needed a change half way through the first half but nothing came from the bench (Galbraith and Scott having a torrid time on that side). Half time being only 1-0 down therefore was the time to lay out what was required to tighten up the defence but we conceded virtually from the kick off giving the team a mountain to climb. The last 15 mins we came into the game, (although they could have scored during this time as well), and had a couple of good chances without really testing their keeper.

Last year and this year we have leaked goals (last year we scored them though) so we know the defence needs to be tightened. I feel we need two proper centre halves playing (Galbraith is better at full back - my opinion) - and I wonder given where we are why we have not given Vaulx a chance to learn next to Collins and develop (not even on the bench today - hope he does not get cheesed off and leave).

Also we tend play with only two midfielders game after game which often means we are over run and leaves the wings vulnerable.

Marrs, Portus (when on the pitch), Saunders, Collins, Gillies had a reasonable game, Thommo improved last 15 mins and Sayers and Wheatley did well when they came on. Cartman got no service into him and Turnbull looked deflated when the first goal went in to be honest.

This showed me that we need a manager in quickly who can build on the team spirit in the team and assess the individual players for this level and develop the younger players.

Saying all that, this game is over and the team will know themselves, we also know we have some great players who have not turned bad overnight so hopefully they can organise and get themselves back where they deserve to be.

Onward and upward for the next game

"Up the Quakers"

quakermass

Nuneaton Town v Darlington Match Thread

Post by quakermass » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:23 pm

We need two centre forwards ASAP as Cartman and Beck have been firing blanks for far too long. Harvey huffs and puffs but rarely scores and a loan deal for him should do him good as he’s not quite ready. Unless we strengthen upfront we’re not going to be winning many games so hopefully the new man (or woman) in charge can put this right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:47 pm

The only woman who manages that I know was Hope Powell aptley names for our situation

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Pretty much the earlier points made. The first half was as bad as I have seen. Second half we played better with Wheatley and Syers but to be honest they could have had 9 or 10. I think today was a reality check that the new manager will have a lot more to do than I thought. One thing I don't agree with is the assessment of Saunders who did very well. Wheatley is also a starter for me and Syers. They both bring much needed quality into the play. I thought Collins was pretty good as well.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:24 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:I asked the grey haired guy who was warming up the team if that was Paulo Mendes on the bench and it was. Who is that guy by the way?
Eddie Cass, centre-half who has been playing abroad but has returned to the local area. He's been around the club for a while I think and was on the bench for our FA Cup defeat to South Shields. Unsure why he hasn't been given a look in.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:52 pm

darlo reborn wrote:The only woman who manages that I know was Hope Powell aptley names for our situation
England women's have a woman in charge right now!? Also see Helena Costa managing in the mens game?

feethamslad

Post by feethamslad » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:16 am

The summary of the game by darlobaz79 along with the player scores is spot on.

Could have been 7-1 yesterday!

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:57 pm

feethamslad wrote:The summary of the game by darlobaz79 along with the player scores is spot on.

Could have been 7-1 yesterday!
Thanks feethamslad! A career in football journalism awaits...

Darlojohn99

Post by Darlojohn99 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Agree with a few posters above, a lot of players not good enough at this level.

Leon Scott has been brilliant for us being with us since day 1 in the Northern League, always been one of my favourite players but maybe this level is too much for him. Maybe his good lifestyle is affecting him. I would love for him to prove me wrong though and pick it up.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:55 pm

Darlojohn99 wrote:Agree with a few posters above, a lot of players not good enough at this level.

Leon Scott has been brilliant for us being with us since day 1 in the Northern League, always been one of my favourite players but maybe this level is too much for him. Maybe his good lifestyle is affecting him. I would love for him to prove me wrong though and pick it up.
He will prove u wrong he has before, people were questioning him last season and he came good..

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:02 pm

People have questioned him every season.

As soon as we came out of the Northern League people questioned whether he could step up to Evo D1N - and he did. And so on.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017