Chris Hardy - get him in now!

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TDS
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Chris Hardy - get him in now!

Post by TDS » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:11 pm

Going back to Hardy, is anybody not slightly put off by the fact he hasn't attempted to come for an interview? All it takes is an above board question to his employers "I really want to give the opportunity some thought and I'd like to see what they have to offer, let me send my CV in?"

Surely he isn't silenced until we decide to go ringing all the clubs in the area to see if we can agree compensation before they can even ask their own board for permission?

He isn't that interested, clearly. Not somebody who screams "give me this massive opportunity please" is it? Yes seems a good fit, but if he's holding back then that's on him.

With the announcement that we will be releasing something on Friday, but the CEO is away until Friday, I think we've got another game with Brown and Turnbull. Let's go back to the drawing board and give ourselves a good chance of not making a rushed mistake.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:35 pm

From what I've heard, Hardy doesn't want the job...

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:44 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:From what I've heard, Hardy doesn't want the job...
I think I've heard every single permutation of Hardy / Our interest in each other that exists.

Until CHardy75 posts something on here then I would assume everything else is rumour.

Logically he should be interested. It is a step up, it is still local, it is still part time. I have zero idea what his personal or work commitments are though until someone who has heard stuff can articulate almost the reasons behind it I would assume it all seems like hear say.

We will find out on Friday and I am sure it will be the best man for the job of those available and willing.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:52 pm

TDS wrote:....

With the announcement that we will be releasing something on Friday, but the CEO is away until Friday, I think we've got another game with Brown and Turnbull. Let's go back to the drawing board and give ourselves a good chance of not making a rushed mistake.

I think you have misread the club statement. It says
Please note that the club does not expect to make any formal announcement until at least Friday when chief executive officer David Johnston returns to this country from a business trip which was arranged some time ago.
i.e. there will not be an announcement until Friday at the earliest, not that there will be an announcement on Friday

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/upd ... pointment/

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:28 pm

lo36789 wrote:
I think I've heard every single permutation of Hardy / Our interest in each other that exists.

Until CHardy75 posts something on here then I would assume everything else is rumour.

Logically he should be interested. It is a step up, it is still local, it is still part time. I have zero idea what his personal or work commitments are though until someone who has heard stuff can articulate almost the reasons behind it I would assume it all seems like hear say.

We will find out on Friday and I am sure it will be the best man for the job of those available and willing.
My source is a good one...

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:38 pm

Hardy himself?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:39 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Every source ever quoted is described as a good one so I have no idea how we ever here a rumour that turns out to be false. But there have been plenty.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Why would Hardy enquire (and he did at least enquire) about a job he doesn't want?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:38 pm

spen666 wrote:
TDS wrote:....

I think you have misread the club statement. It says
Please note that the club does not expect to make any formal announcement until at least Friday when chief executive officer David Johnston returns to this country from a business trip which was arranged some time ago.
i.e. there will not be an announcement until Friday at the earliest, not that there will be an announcement on Friday

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/upd ... pointment/
It doesn't say which Friday either!! :crazy:

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Allan Quatermain wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Every source ever quoted is described as a good one so I have no idea how we ever here a rumour that turns out to be false. But there have been plenty.
Someone linked to Guisboro Town who knows him, but who knows

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:14 pm

Quakerz wrote:Why would Hardy enquire (and he did at least enquire) about a job he doesn't want?
He just wanted to check it was all going well, and whether we needed any help opening the mail etc.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:04 pm

Whitby just lost at home to Scarborough. Hardy’s post match interview was dour, bland and uninspiring. I know we’ve got used to this with MG in recent weeks (only difference was that Hardy didn’t then bang on about the need for new investment) but he doesn’t sound like the great White hope that some are portraying him to be. Nice beard though. Maybe it makes him look like Danny Cowley at The Imps??
Anyway.. Come on lads... Alan White’s the man for the job

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:56 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:Whitby just lost at home to Scarborough. Hardy’s post match interview was dour, bland and uninspiring. I know we’ve got used to this with MG in recent weeks (only difference was that Hardy didn’t then bang on about the need for new investment) but he doesn’t sound like the great White hope that some are portraying him to be. Nice beard though. Maybe it makes him look like Danny Cowley at The Imps??
Anyway.. Come on lads... Alan White’s the man for the job
Interesting post Nick, all this clamouring for Hardy is OTT, would really like Whitey back in some capacity, I am sure he would jump at the chance.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:16 am

Never did understand the clamour for Hardy.
To be honest I had never heard of him until his name was put on here and he is probably a good manager.
I wonder how many people who voted on this message board for him actually don't even know anything about him.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:24 am

My opinion wrote:Never did understand the clamour for Hardy.
To be honest I had never heard of him until his name was put on here and he is probably a good manager.
I wonder how many people who voted on this message board for him actually don't even know anything about him.
I can only speak for myself, but I wanted Hardy for a couple of reasons. He's always shown steady improvement (this will be, apparently, the first season where he hasn't improved his teams position). And, he's worked under limited budgets (not that we have a particularly limited budget for this level, but it would be hoped that he wouldn't be constantly demanding more like our ex manager, or seemingly playing clubs off each other to maximise an existing position).

I just think these 2 skills are what we need right now to help build our club (in it's current ownership structure) towards the next level on and off the pitch. Of all the names which have been thrown about I have a feeling he would be the best fit for us at the moment.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:33 am

Strange people wanting White rather than Hardy. Let's get the totally untried and untested person to be the football manager rather than the one who has done it for about 8 years, built things up and moved forward.

To be honest I like the idea of Hardy but open to suggestions such as Bower. In fact I actually like Whitey but question whether he is ready to manage this club, too big too soon maybe.

Good luck to the board on getting a deal done.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:15 am

al_quaker wrote:
I can only speak for myself, but I wanted Hardy for a couple of reasons. He's always shown steady improvement (this will be, apparently, the first season where he hasn't improved his teams position). And, he's worked under limited budgets (not that we have a particularly limited budget for this level, but it would be hoped that he wouldn't be constantly demanding more like our ex manager, or seemingly playing clubs off each other to maximise an existing position).

I just think these 2 skills are what we need right now to help build our club (in it's current ownership structure) towards the next level on and off the pitch. Of all the names which have been thrown about I have a feeling he would be the best fit for us at the moment.
There are a couple of other bits for me;
- Proven ability to generate some revenue. He managed to generate transfer fees from Roberts and Johnson I thought? Also development of Gell.
- Style of play. I guess I have had benefit of seeing his Whitby team 'up close' and of what he is saying from the dugout. His expectation on his players was get it down, keep possession, use the width.
- Dugout/personal demeanour. He has basically won awards for the way he behaves. I know our priority is winning games not friends but at the same time I think it is a refreshing behaviour to see - and you know what I think as a long term approach having friends can be beneficial.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:22 am

lo36789 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

There are a couple of other bits for me;
- Proven ability to generate some revenue. He managed to generate transfer fees from Roberts and Johnson I thought? Also development of Gell.
- Style of play. I guess I have had benefit of seeing his Whitby team 'up close' and of what he is saying from the dugout. His expectation on his players was get it down, keep possession, use the width.
- Dugout/personal demeanour. He has basically won awards for the way he behaves. I know our priority is winning games not friends but at the same time I think it is a refreshing behaviour to see - and you know what I think as a long term approach having friends can be beneficial.
Good points too. He just seems like a decent fit for where we are as a club currently. I could of course be hopelessly wrong and he'd do terribly here, but any appointment is a gamble.

Anyway, at the current rate Hardy will be the only bloke in non-league who hasn't publicly rejected us :lol: