Chris Hardy - get him in now!

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerz
Team Supported: Darlington

Chris Hardy - get him in now!

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:04 pm

FFS stop wasting time with big name has beens or never was - or managers who would only view us as a short term stepping stone anyway.

Get Hardy in now!

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlojohn99

Re: Chris Hardy - get him in now!

Post by Darlojohn99 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:15 pm

Hopefully this is why their is a delay, maybe we have realised and spoken to Whitby.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:18 pm

Nah, we interviewed 7 - we're certain to have a second choice from one of those.

Think we've missed a trick by not looking very closely at Hardy.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlojohn99

Post by Darlojohn99 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:22 pm

Or is 3rd or 4th choice haha

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:26 pm

8th choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:27 pm

I’d be very disappointed if we haven’t at least gauged his interest.

Radar

Post by Radar » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:57 pm

Hardy is the logical and majority fans choice.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:01 pm

Didn't apply and we haven't approached Whitby. Time to draw a line under this one and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:25 pm

Expressed an interest but didn't apply apparently. Which is a bit strange

Radar

Post by Radar » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:29 pm

al_quaker wrote:Expressed an interest but didn't apply apparently. Which is a bit strange
If he has shown an interest, surely it's a "Come and get me plea".

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:37 pm

It'd be a bit strange if we haven't even approached Whitby to ask to talk to him, seeing as we approached Blyth and presumably have approached Nuneaton. Not sure what would have been lost by at least talking to him (if Whitby would let us of course).

bga

Post by bga » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:48 pm

Radar wrote:Hardy is the logical and majority fans choice.
The "majority fans" who had faith in MG, now know that this man is the "logical choice" when no one has probably either met him, or have any idea how he works and what his ambitions as a part time manager are? The Board have a limited budget for the Management and playing staff. Trust in them to make the right appointment based on this financial criteria, and someone who can take us forward in the appropriate timescale.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:57 pm

I wonder who Shteve would recommend

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:59 pm

Martin "money" Gray?

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:05 pm

bga wrote:
The Board have a limited budget for the Management and playing staff. Trust in them to make the right appointment based on this financial criteria, and someone who can take us forward in the appropriate timescale.
Why approach Armstrong who is clearly ambitious for the conference. It doesn't surprise me at all that he rejected us. Our budget is simply not big enough for the conference. Tranmere have a budget of £2m and they are only in the top third. As I have said before I feel that people like Toman and Billy Miller are a better fit. probably even Hardy. An observation rather than a criticism. Quakerz is right.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:48 pm

Wish people would stop saying Andy Toman. What on earth would he bring?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:11 am

AndyPark wrote:Wish people would stop saying Andy Toman. What on earth would he bring?
Silly question. He's Darlo through and through and would reunite the fans, obviously.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:49 am

AndyPark wrote:Wish people would stop saying Andy Toman. What on earth would he bring?
Princes Town doesn't actually want Toman - someone who's coaching experience in England doesn't stretch beyond the Northern League.

Nor does he actually want Billy Miller, who has barely managed beyond step 4.

More it's a chance for the old fool to continue disappearing up himself with his own pomposity. He views them as intelligent suggestions because they're people barely anyone has considered.

Realistically, they've not been considered because their lack of relevant experience means they're unsuitable to what's needed.

Miller and Toman aren't a "better fit" than Armstrong. Anyone who believes that is a fool. Pretentious Princes Town is merely saying that because they're his suggestions.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:53 am

Let's be careful about the "majority" of fans data. From the evidence of the Forum poll, the 45% seems OK but actually is 37 bodies of those who bothered to vote. These are only about 5% of our average gate so really that so-called majority is about 3% of the fanbase. Not exactly an overwhelming acclamation! :?:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:57 am

jjljks wrote:
Let's be careful about the "majority" of fans data. From the evidence of the Forum poll, the 45% seems OK but actually is 37 bodies of those who bothered to vote. These are only about 5% of our average gate so really that so-called majority is about 3% of the fanbase. Not exactly an overwhelming acclamation! :?:
Exactly! But this myth has been pushed by the increasingly poor Craig Stoddart because a few more of his followers parrot it on Twitter.

I like Hardy and would have liked him to be our manager. But there is zero evidence to say he's the overwhelming choice of the majority of fans.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:54 am

I've stayed quiet on this subject because I have no knowledge re who would or wouldn't make a good new manager, but some peoples ideas just seem daft to me - like suggestions about players from decades ago :thumbdown:

I'm happy to wait a little and trust that the club will do the best they can. They've had a lot of work to do because of Gray's rapid (and selfish) departure.
jjljks wrote:
Loidlucan is 2nd in this poll.......
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

princes town

Post by princes town » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:18 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Princes Town doesn't actually want Toman - someone who's coaching experience in England doesn't stretch beyond the Northern League.

More it's a chance for the old fool to continue disappearing up himself with his own pomposity. He views them as intelligent suggestions because they're people barely anyone has considered.

Realistically, they've not been considered because their lack of relevant experience means they're unsuitable to what's needed.

Miller and Toman aren't a "better fit" than Armstrong. Anyone who believes that is a fool. Pretentious Princes Town is merely saying that because they're his suggestions.
Actually I do. I hadn't appreciated an original opinion was banned on this site. Anyway, the reason I have selected 3 is because I ma more interested in the profile of the manager. As Armstrong proved we are going to find it very difficult to get a star a manager. Miller's record is impeccable and just because nobody seems to know him doesn't bar him from consideration in my opinion. How anyone can exclude toman is beyond me.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:29 am

princes town wrote:. How anyone can exclude toman is beyond me.
On what basis do you think Toman should be considered?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

princes town

Post by princes town » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:46 am

Spyman wrote:
1. He's managed an academy
2. Managerial experience albeit at Northern league level. My main doubt is he has resigned a few clubs but that may reflect more on the clubs ambition. Did a solid job at guisborough.
3. Coaching experience. Doing a job in Norway.
4. Remember him as a quality footballer which I think matters when you're coaching at this level.
5. Darlington through and through and would want the job
6. Local contacts. Played over 200 games for Hartlepool and darlo.

A reason I would not give is probably the unification argument. Im being naive although I did include Smith in that package as well.

Personally billy miller is my number one choice but he is out of the game due to work commitments. Transformed Harrogate railway and took Tadcaster to the Evostik. Knowing both clubs that is some achievement. There is good value out there.

Outside these 2, Lakeland and hardy are interesting shouts because they seem to add value to their clubs. Don't know as much about these 2. As I say 'the fit' is key for me. A manager who knows where we are at. I admire the board for pursuing Armstrong but it seemed ambitious to me. There again I could be underselling the clubs attraction. I'm not on any interviewing panel so I'll go with what the board say. Age is not a factor for me. In fact , we may need an older head given the competing objectives on and off the pitch

All that glitters is not necessarily gold in the management game.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 am

princes town wrote:
Spyman wrote:
1. He's managed an academy - not sure why that's relevant experience?
2. Managerial experience albeit at Northern league level. My main doubt is he has resigned a few clubs but that may reflect more on the clubs ambition. Did a solid job at guisborough. - His last managerial post was 7 years ago
3. Coaching experience. Doing a job in Norway.
4. Remember him as a quality footballer which I think matters when you're coaching at this level. - But it doesn't make you a good manager
5. Darlington through and through and would want the job - Me too.
6. Local contacts. Played over 200 games for Hartlepool and darlo. - Almost 30 years ago
A reason I would not give is probably the unification argument. Im being naive although I did include Smith in that package as well.

Personally billy miller is my number one choice but he is out of the game due to work commitments. Transformed Harrogate railway and took Tadcaster to the Evostik. Knowing both clubs that is some achievement. There is good value out there.

Outside these 2, Lakeland and hardy are interesting shouts because they seem to add value to their clubs. Don't know as much about these 2. As I say 'the fit' is key for me. A manager who knows where we are at. I admire the board for pursuing Armstrong but it seemed ambitious to me. There again I could be underselling the clubs attraction. I'm not on any interviewing panel so I'll go with what the board say. Age is not a factor for me. In fact , we may need an older head given the competing objectives on and off the pitch

All that glitters is not necessarily gold in the management game.
My thoughts on your Toman argument.

As for Miller, yes he did well at Railway and in his first season at Tadcaster (heavily funded though, by all accounts). You say he's been out of football due to work commitments - has that changed?

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 am

I don't really understand how Toman based on that can be above Hardy?

Toman did a 'solid' job with Guisborough in the NL - didn't Hardy do even better and has then gone on to do a better than solid job with Whitby in the EvoStik Prem?

What hasn't quite been answered is why Andy Toman will be giving up his full time job in Norway to relocate for a part time job in Darlington.

Was Miller at Tadcaster when they signed Jonathan Greening?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 am

I don't really understand how Toman based on that can be above Hardy?

Toman did a 'solid' job with Guisborough in the NL - didn't Hardy do even better and has then gone on to do a better than solid job with Whitby in the EvoStik Prem?

What hasn't quite been answered is why Andy Toman will be giving up his full time job in Norway to relocate for a part time job in Darlington.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:40 am

princes town wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Actually I do. I hadn't appreciated an original opinion was banned on this site. Anyway, the reason I have selected 3 is because I ma more interested in the profile of the manager. As Armstrong proved we are going to find it very difficult to get a star a manager. Miller's record is impeccable and just because nobody seems to know him doesn't bar him from consideration in my opinion. How anyone can exclude toman is beyond me.
Amazing how sensitive people are to criticism. Spyman has effectively demolished all your spurious reasons for pushing Toman.

As for Miller, he has little experience beyond step 4. The fact nobody knows who he is tells you everything about his record as a manager. You're being pretentious in the extreme.

Neither Toman or Miller have any credentials for any job beyond Northern League.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:06 am

lo36789 wrote:I don't really understand how Toman based on that can be above Hardy?

Yes he was...(Greening) He works for i2i as does the current managers and they also have plenty of money, but sensibly not throwing loads of money at it... Also have a good link with Leeds Utd

princes town

Post by princes town » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:02 pm

lo36789 wrote:I don't really understand how Toman based on that can be above Hardy?

I'm not really trying to compare to hardy so apologies if that was the impression I gave. I'm merely presenting the people who impressed me. Miller at railway was exceptional (ask Nathan cartman) followed by a great spell at Tadcaster. I know very little about hardy so you may be right he has an even better CV. My own position is still that the board are best qualified to know who is available and what requirements they need. The specification set out in Johnston's newspaper article was spot on. I just want a manager who will have realistic ambitions which is difficult when we've had so much seamless success. I'd also agree with the Hearts fan on another thread that the board should take as long as they like to make sure they get the right person if that is what is required.