Wright staying put

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Allan Quatermain
Team Supported: Darlington

Wright staying put

Post by Allan Quatermain » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:31 am

Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

AndyPark

Re: Wright staying put

Post by AndyPark » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:34 am

Majority of this lot will be happy then.

Won’t be happy with an appointment unless it’s Sir Alex.

Darlojohn99

Post by Darlojohn99 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:38 am

An approach was made to the Chairman at 8.00pm on 16/10/2017 asking for permission to speak to Tommy about the vacant Managers position.

I’m confused, was he not one of the 7 interviewed? If not what with them?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:46 am

Darlojohn99 wrote:An approach was made to the Chairman at 8.00pm on 16/10/2017 asking for permission to speak to Tommy about the vacant Managers position.

I’m confused, was he not one of the 7 interviewed? If not what with them?
I'm guessing, Armstrong aside, they weren't considered strong enough candidates for the role (or, on the flip side, when some heard more details of the role, they no longers fancied it). Could be a combination of the two.

I've no issues with them taking the time to get it right, although this amount of time without properly qualified coaches isn't great.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:47 am

Surely we've got to get on the phone to whitby now

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:48 am

I'm taking a lot of these press releases with a pinch of salt. The clubs we are dealing with do not have press officers. They are from chairmen or managers who are looking after the best interests of their own clubs. They might not be smooth but they will always side with their own clubs.

Facts are we don't know what's going on. We've been told that one of our directors is out of the country. If that is the case, would we be contacting anyone this week anyway?

It's a case of waiting for the news to break credibly.

NB; I do not is in the same position of not having anyone with formal training to communicate things.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:01 pm

I reckon that Wright has seen twitter and the forums etc and thought "fuck that"

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:26 pm

Quakerz wrote:I reckon that Wright has seen twitter and the forums etc and thought "fuck that"
Agreed

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:28 pm

Quakerz wrote:I reckon that Wright has seen twitter and the forums etc and thought "fuck that"
Yep

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:37 pm

AndyPark wrote:Won’t be happy with an appointment unless it’s Sir Alex.
Fans not saying that appointment of midlands based manager doing reasonably OK with a FT team wouldn't have been their first choice equals won't be happy unless it is Sir Alex.

Unless he put his name in the hat I am surprised we went for Wright. Location etc. just doesn't really stack up surely he had to approach us first for us to even have him on the radar.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:09 pm

Well, at least we recognised that compensation for Nuneaton would have been included.
York City should take note on how to do the correct thing.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:12 pm

Most prospective managers if they looked on this forum and the amount of shite
written, would say "fuck that".

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:32 pm

banktopp wrote:
Would not be surprised in the slightest if this is the reason he has turned us down.I despair at times with comments on this board, god knows who we will end up with now.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:23 pm

I`ve heard Alan White?

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:41 pm

We don't HAVE to have a manager with a colour in his name.

We had Gray (or rather he 'had' us), we now have Brown and you are suggesting White.

Anyone out there who is a delicate shade of fuchsia?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:45 pm

Funny how all the names rumoured to be in with a chance always are ex Darlo players...

Armstrong, Wright, Hignett - people now suggesting White...

Can we not just think outside the box for once and go for someone who hasn't played for Darlo.

Like Hardy.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:04 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
banktopp wrote:
Would not be surprised in the slightest if this is the reason he has turned us down.I despair at times with comments on this board, god knows who we will end up with now.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
It's surely more likely to be down to geography in his case isn't it?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:14 pm

darlo reborn wrote:I`ve heard Alan White?
Oh dear, no managerial experience, would be a massive gamble.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Quakerz wrote:Funny how all the names rumoured to be in with a chance always are ex Darlo players...

Armstrong, Wright, Hignett - people now suggesting White...

Can we not just think outside the box for once and go for someone who hasn't played for Darlo.

Like Hardy.
How is he going to unite the fans if he's not Darlo through and through? :?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:40 pm

It's a shame that Armstrong and Wright turned us down because they would both have been "3 times a Quaker" like Hodgy.

That only leaves Alan White as a "3 times a Quaker" target now.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:41 pm

Quakerz wrote:It's a shame that Armstrong and Wright turned us down because they would both have been "3 times a Quaker" like Hodgy.

Martin Gray?
Craig Russell?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:51 pm

Quakerz wrote:It's a shame that Armstrong and Wright turned us down because they would both have been "3 times a Quaker" like Hodgy.

Alan White signed for us under Penney, then returned under Staunton, then returned again under Gray. So make that a potential "4 times a Quaker"!!

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Every manager in the game has to start off somewhere.
I believe Blythe is Armstrongs first managerial post

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:02 pm

My opinion wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Unfortunately a lot of people have the view that Whitey is a nutter off the pitch as he has been known to be on it. However if you ever met the man you would know differently. Hes very knowledgeable about the game and a very good motivator. Would be a better call than Wright in my opinion.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:11 pm

Re that nuneaton statement, surely we werent even considering paying compen on a two year rolling contract. And i cant imagine that wright is so thin skinned as to be deterred by some comments on social media. If he was then it didnt bode well as to how long he would have lasted anyway. It was probably more to do with doing all the maths on his income and talking to his missus about uprooting and moving for a part time job in a precarious profession. It all sounded a bit odd anyway for someone who lives in the midlands even if his love of darlo runs deep.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:35 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Re that nuneaton statement, surely we werent even considering paying compen on a two year rolling contract. And i cant imagine that wright is so thin skinned as to be deterred by some comments on social media. If he was then it didnt bode well as to how long he would have lasted anyway. It was probably more to do with doing all the maths on his income and talking to his missus about uprooting and moving for a part time job in a precarious profession. It all sounded a bit odd anyway for someone who lives in the midlands even if his love of darlo runs deep.
I'm afraid that handling social media has almost become another competence for any manager. I would guess that there were other reasons such as the ones you state.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:36 pm

loan_star wrote:
My opinion wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Unfortunately a lot of people have the view that Whitey is a nutter off the pitch as he has been known to be on it. However if you ever met the man you would know differently. Hes very knowledgeable about the game and a very good motivator. Would be a better call than Wright in my opinion.

I've always been very impressed with how he's spoken about the game - really enjoyed his post match comments when he was a coach here but by his own admission he still had a lot to learn. I'm sure his time at Spennymoor has further advanced him but probably not yet ready for the top job. Would love to see him assist someone though.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Whilst Whitey probably isn't ready for the manager's job, I'd be delighted if he came in as assistant to whoever comes in as the new manager. With a view to him being ready to take over if and when we need a new manager sometime in the future.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:03 pm

loan_star wrote:
My opinion wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Said this a while back.

The non-league Martin Keown.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DC

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:10 pm

Will be an interesting statement on Friday. What isn't yet clear is whether Wright and /or Armstrong were 2 of the 7 interviewed last week and then we couldn't agree packages with their clubs subsequently.