Another one says no?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Alfie
Team Supported: Darlington

Another one says no?

Post by Alfie » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:53 am

Craig Stoddart tweet - and in Echo?

David McGurk has turned down the job according to Hyde Utd

super_les_mcjannet

Re: Another one says no?

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:55 am

Listened to the Hyde interview and seems no denying it. Turned it down on Sat so was first choice apparently.

Did he turn it down or was he rejected with discussions though, depends how you see it.

Not convinced we are being turned down flat, think some are asking for more than we are willing to give.
Last edited by super_les_mcjannet on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

piggy

Post by piggy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:58 am

Bloody hell this is getting ridiculous! Why does no one want to touch us with a barge pole?! Decent fan base and good enough squad to work with, someone must fancy it?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:59 am

Maybe they have big expectations of what we will give them.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:04 am

Alfie wrote:David McGurk has turned down the job according to Hyde Utd
Interesting to know what was called out in these interviews. These are all people who applied ultimately so something is scaring them off.

- Is it the expectations that were laid out
- Is it the terms of the contract (either money or security offered)

McGurk isn't even assistant manager at Hyde he is player / coach as far as I know. Our obsession with ex-players is a bit weird isn't it?
Last edited by lo36789 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:04 am

I'm convinced all is not rosy behind the scenes... Something we are not been told

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:08 am

I'm starting to get the feeling some of these clubs are talking just a tiny bit of bollocks now. Perhaps inflating a request for formal talks with their staff, which may have been a formality or courtesy in order to get them in for interviews, into their being first choice for the job and turning it down.

I wonder whether these managers came in for interview and saw the budget, then opted out. If so, fine. We can only pay what we can pay.

Bear in mind our own board has been very discreet about all this, which is more than can be said for these gobshites. We don't really know which of these lot have actually beenn offered the job. I'm a bit twitchy but I'd rather we didn't rush an appointment.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:13 am

tdk1 wrote:I'm starting to get the feeling some of these clubs are talking just a tiny bit of bollocks now. Perhaps inflating a request for formal talks with their staff, which may have been a formality or courtesy in order to get them in for interviews, into their being first choice for the job and turning it down.

I wonder whether these managers came in for interview and saw the budget, then opted out. If so, fine. We can only pay what we can pay.

Bear in mind our own board has been very discreet about all this, which is more than can be said for these gobshites. We don't really know which of these lot have actually beenn offered the job. I'm a bit twitchy but I'd rather we didn't rush an appointment.
And what we can pay is pretty decent for this level. We're not paying peanuts as Gray would have people believe.

I do find this one a little hard to believe to be honest. We may have been interested in talking to him - and it is slightly concerning we can't attract an Evo 1N assistant manager - but why would McGurk be first choice over the likes of Armstrong?

Either way, these public rejections aren't doing the clubs image much good. No blame on the club of course - we can't stop others saying stuff to the press.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:19 am

I thought he was player coach. Thought Prendergast was assistant to Kelly.

The other factor might be the expected demands of the role.

Travel / Training / Away day requirements. I suppose for a manager not based locally it means travel for pretty much everything.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:19 am

al_quaker wrote:
tdk1 wrote:I'm starting to get the feeling some of these clubs are talking just a tiny bit of bollocks now. Perhaps inflating a request for formal talks with their staff, which may have been a formality or courtesy in order to get them in for interviews, into their being first choice for the job and turning it down.

And what we can pay is pretty decent for this level. We're not paying peanuts as Gray would have people believe.

I do find this one a little hard to believe to be honest. We may have been interested in talking to him - and it is slightly concerning we can't attract an Evo 1N assistant manager - but why would McGurk be first choice over the likes of Armstrong?

Either way, these public rejections aren't doing the clubs image much good. No blame on the club of course - we can't stop others saying stuff to the press.

It could simply be down to the travelling. Manchester to Darlington is a long travel several times a week for a part time role.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:21 am

al_quaker wrote:
I do find this one a little hard to believe to be honest. We may have been interested in talking to him - and it is slightly concerning we can't attract an Evo 1N assistant manager - but why would McGurk be first choice over the likes of Armstrong?.
Yeah, I'm calling bullshit on mcgurk being first choice and turning it down. I don't know why these clubs are all coming out with these statements - maybe it gives them a chance to present themselves as a tempting prospect to players and to blow smoke up their supporters' bums.

I must say, our fans' response has been relatively un-hysterical when it comes to making an appointment, which is good. This has to be a long term appointment with a plan for us to grow steadily as a club, so if that takes time so be it.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:22 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:I'm convinced all is not rosy behind the scenes... Something we are not been told Image

Hmmmmmm. This is what I was thinking.

It's not particularly rosy in front of the scenes either. Our 12th in the League table is misleading because there are 4 teams directly below us within 1 point or less, and they all have 2 games in hand. They are, Kiddiminster/Telford/Alfreton and S'port.

Also a quick look at the form table (last ten games) paints a pitiful picture. Won 1,Draw 5, Lost 4. Only one other team has only won once, N.Ferriby - and our goals scored = 9, only one other team has scored less than us, the woeful N.Ferriby.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:25 am

al_quaker wrote:And what we can pay is pretty decent for this level. We're not paying peanuts as Gray would have people believe.

I'm lead to believe "management services" were charged out at £80,000 in our last season in the Evostik. Obviously this amount was split between multiple people (now all gone) but even so, it's a fair wedge!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:33 am

Hyde United drawn at home to MK Dons 1st round F.A cup.
Turned it down Saturday after they knew they would be in the draw.
Something we can only dream about, but may be a factor. Wait till they get thrashed and ask again.
Some folks need to get over the fact we are no longer a 'big' club.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:35 am

banktopp wrote: Some folks need to get over the fact we are no longer a 'big' club.
We've never been a big club.

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:41 am

To think people will believe McGurk had the chance to be plucked from obscurity to a top job in a league like we are in and turned it down because of anything on our side is silly. He obviously had other reasons.

We are obviously telling everybody (other than Wright) that they are first choice, to gain favour maybe.

Happy to carry on regardless and find the right fit for our budget and expectations, maybe people are turning up thinking mega-bucks and are left feeling disappointed. For once the Board can set the tone in terms of money from the off, Gray had previously done this for them, generous of him!

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:43 am

al_quaker wrote:
banktopp wrote: Some folks need to get over the fact we are no longer a 'big' club.
Not in the sense of being in the top divisions but there is this perception that we need to be 'back where we belong' in the football league. Get real we belong where we are.
Returning to play in Darlington and only 1-2 % of towns population come along to watch games. Not good is it.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:54 am

banktopp wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Not in the sense of being in the top divisions but there is this perception that we need to be 'back where we belong' in the football league. Get real we belong where we are.
Returning to play in Darlington and only 1-2 % of towns population come along to watch games. Not good is it.
Is there that perception? There's an ambition to be back in the football league, but I think most realise that that's a long shot. But now that Gray and his 'ambition' is gone we can at least try and grow organically to the next level, as our crowds ensure we have a decent budget at this level. And that in itself should be appealing to potential managers.

Which makes me wonder exactly what all these managers who have applied for the job are demanding from the board to ensure that negotiations don't succeed.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:04 am

There's still no evidence that Armstrong was offered the role, or approached, or approached us.

Blyth say they turned down an approach from a North East club - Gateshead were supposedly interested in Armstrong the week we were interviewing.

There may have been an implication we could've been interested, but no more than that from what I can see.

Wright I can believe, but it may well have been a case of once he was told the expectation in terms of time spent up north he just couldn't fit in the commuting with whatever other commitments he had.

McGurk being offered the job off the back of being a player/coach just seems bizarre. Offered a job on someone else's coaching staff perhaps - but the manager's job?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:26 am

Spyman wrote:McGurk being offered the job off the back of being a player/coach just seems bizarre. Offered a job on someone else's coaching staff perhaps - but the manager's job?
Unless he applied, was interviewed and was the stand out candidate? :think:
spen666 wrote:It could simply be down to the travelling. Manchester to Darlington is a long travel several times a week for a part time role.
He actually lives in the Leeds area and runs an academy there.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:45 am

This is getting crazy and more than a bit embarrassing, but why on earth would the player coach at Hyde united be the right guy, surely not, apart from the fact he is an ex player which seems to be one of the criteria.
Have to say losing some confidence in the process now if Mcgurk and Wright really were thought to be the best bet!
Please take your time, start again if need be, but surely do not dip to 4th choice or beyond, this is a joke.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:53 am

Quakerlad wrote:This is getting crazy and more than a bit embarrassing, but why on earth would the player coach at Hyde united be the right guy, surely not, apart from the fact he is an ex player which seems to be one of the criteria.
Have to say losing some confidence in the process now if Mcgurk and Wright really were thought to be the best bet!
Please take your time, start again if need be, but surely do not dip to 4th choice or beyond, this is a joke.
Speak to people in the game and see what their views are on McGurk. Just because he is currently at Hyde, does not mean he doesnt have a clue!

pav
Team Supported: Hyde

Post by pav » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:25 pm

McGurk came to Hyde as a player/coach and since he ceased playing and became assistant manager they've lost 4 games in 27 are unbeaten in the league this season and in the first round of the FA Cup. He's finished his UEFA A-Licence and still considers himself to be cutting his teeth in the football management role. Anybody that knows him in the game will tell you that's he will make a great manager, guess he feels that the time just isn't yet.

Darlojohn99

Post by Darlojohn99 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:32 pm

I did a post last week saying David McGurk was in the running but the post got ignore haha. I got told he got interviewed but I don’t know it’s thats the case.

I do know Tommy Wright wanted the job but I don’t know anything else. I’m sure he never got interviewed though.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:43 pm

pav wrote:McGurk came to Hyde as a player/coach and since he ceased playing and became assistant manager they've lost 4 games in 27 are unbeaten in the league this season and in the first round of the FA Cup. He's finished his UEFA A-Licence and still considers himself to be cutting his teeth in the football management role. Anybody that knows him in the game will tell you that's he will make a great manager, guess he feels that the time just isn't yet.
The thing is Pav, why go for the job then after all that, decide that the time isn't yet.

There's more to this than you're letting on.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:40 pm

Quakerz wrote:
pav wrote:McGurk came to Hyde as a player/coach and since he ceased playing and became assistant manager they've lost 4 games in 27 are unbeaten in the league this season and in the first round of the FA Cup. He's finished his UEFA A-Licence and still considers himself to be cutting his teeth in the football management role. Anybody that knows him in the game will tell you that's he will make a great manager, guess he feels that the time just isn't yet.
The thing is Pav, why go for the job then after all that, decide that the time isn't yet.

There's more to this than you're letting on.
Seems strange. I agree.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:50 pm

Look, sod to this asking for CVs. We need to choose a victim, hog tie him, subject him to water boarding or another form of torture or maybe kidnap a member of his family until he submits to our will. We need someone without mercy to take charge of this vital project. I can supply the gimp mask if they need to protect their identity.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Maybe one of the people that turned us down, might still yet wind up at Darlo after further re-assuring talks?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:23 pm

Quakerz wrote:Maybe one of the people that turned us down, might still yet wind up at Darlo after further re-assuring talks?
Q you big tease!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:30 pm