Tommy Wright with Alan White as assistant

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by poppyfield » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:23 pm

Looks like this could be it.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlobaz79

Re: Tommy Wright with Alan White as assistant

Post by Darlobaz79 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:24 pm

It is. Underwhelmed but willing to give them a chance.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Sounds good. I like it!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

TDS

Post by TDS » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:25 pm

Happy with that. Wright is young but has 3 years experience and knows the club, managed at this level and with Whitey as his assistant that's some discipline. Let's set the tone from the off and get right (Wright? White? ;)) behind these lads.

For me Hardy had no more right to be here than Wright, and might not have even wanted to.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:26 pm

They deserve a chance to prove themselves.

Not my first (or second or third) choice but best of luck to them.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:27 pm

Wonder if Tommy Wright will be in the dugout tomorrow along with Alan White. If true then it's a great gesture for Tommy to move from a full-time job back to Darlo on a part-time basis.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:27 pm

Quakers appoint former players Tommy Wright and Alan White as their new management team

Darlington Football Club are delighted to announce the appointment of Tommy Wright as the new first team manager, with Alan White as his assistant.

Tommy, 33, will be starting his third spell at the club, having had two previously as a player. He appeared for the club in the victorious FA Trophy final in 2011 in his second spell, and in total made 76 appearances for Quakers, scoring 21 times.

After his second time at Quakers, the former Leicester and Barnsley player went on to appear for Corby Town as player-manager, helping them to win promotion from the Southern League to the National League North in 2015. He was appointed Nuneaton manager last season when they were near the bottom of the table, and helped them to a midtable finish. Ironically, his last game in charge of Nuneaton was a 2-1 home win over Quakers last Saturday.

Tommy’s assistant will be Alan White, who has had three spells as a player with Darlington making over 100 appearances, and was player/coach when Quakers won promotion from the EvoStik First Division North and coach in the EvoStik Premier League championship season. Alan has extensive experience in the Football League, and has been coaching at Spennymoor Town for the last two seasons, helping them into the National League North.

Tommy says that he is eagerly looking forward to meeting the Darlington fans again. “This was a great opportunity for me to come and manage a massive club that should still be in the Football League and one that I love so much.

“The directors talked to me about their vision for the club, and Alan and I really want to help realise that. We believe that we can deliver what they want, and that is success.

“The fanbase is massive, with regular crowds of between 1800 and 3000, and potentially more. I always had a very good relationship with the fans in my two playing spells, and that was a key factor in my decision to take the job. I was quite upset when I left after my first spell for Aberdeen. I didn’t want to go, but the club needed the money at the time, otherwise it would have gone bust. The second spell, of course, was highlighted by the celebrations of that great FA Trophy win at Wembley.

“I felt very emotional last season when I returned as manager of Nuneaton and the fans gave me such a warm welcome back. I will always remember that.

“I know that there is a great bunch of talented players in the dressing room. They have a lot of character and a lot of leadership, and Alan and I are looking forward to working with them.

“I must admit, that I didn’t like beating Darlington in the league last Saturday, because the club means so much to me, and Darlington is like a second home to me!”

Tommy has kept in touch with Alan since they played in the same Darlington team ten years ago. “Alan has plenty of experience, and he will be an ideal person to have beside me and help me do the job.

“When I asked him about being my assistant, he jumped at the chance, he feels the same as I do about returning to the club.”

Tommy and Alan will introduce themselves to the players before the game on Saturday, before watching the game away from the technical area.

With over 40 applications the Darlington FC board interviewed a very strong shortlist of eight, and chief executive officer David Johnston said; “We were delighted with the calibre of the candidates, and all of them interviewed well. Tommy and Alan have plenty of experience of this level, have some great ideas, and were both great fan favourites in their playing days at the club. We are very pleased to appoint them, and we are sure that they will be a success.”

DFC director John Tempest commented: “It has been a difficult but a fortunate position to be in with such a wealth of talent at the interviews. However, both the Darlington FC board and the Darlington FC Supporters Group board were of the same view that Tommy was the right candidate to take the club forward.”

Joanne Cameron, the Chair of the DFCSG said; “Tommy has a vision for the club, and respects that he is working within the current framework of a fan owned/funded club.”

We would like to warmly welcome Tommy and Alan back to the club, and urge the fans to give both of them their 100 per cent support, beginning with the home game against Bradford Park Avenue on Saturday.
Last edited by poppyfield on Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:27 pm

I wanted Hardy, but I'm happy with the White element. It could still work. No matter who it is I will be 100% behind the management team. Come on Darlo.

Let's get behind them and get some points on the board.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:28 pm

I've got a couple of questions that are quite important. What is the length of the contract and did we have to pay off a two year rolling contract at nuneaton.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:28 pm

I'm pretty happy with that. Wright has had some successes in his managerial career, and some failures, but he hopefully has learned from those experiences. He's young, should bring a professional approach, and he sounds like he cares for the club. He deserves everyone's backing to give him the best chance of succeeding.

Happy with White too - brings NE knowledge too.

Bit odd what happened earlier this week mind

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:32 pm

I remember that game last season against Nuneaton, I welcomed Tommy back to the club and had some great banter with him by the players tunnel. Tommy and Alan will turn round the team. Pleased with these appointments.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Excellent news, things should be all white now

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:34 pm

You know what... I'm actually pleased with it.

Both brilliant lads.

Wright, White black white army.
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Can definitely go with this. Wright's playing style looked pretty good last Saturday, albeit they didn't receive much opposition by way of our defence.

Gutted that darlo have appointed a manager who is younger than me though. Still remember being weirded out when the players started being younger than me.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:38 pm

Hope for a good turn on Saturday to welcome them both home

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:Hope for a good turn on Saturday to welcome them both home
Agreed I hope the ans get behind the pair, although the weather doesn't look great for tomorrow afternoon.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I remember that game last season against Nuneaton, I welcomed Tommy back to the club and had some great banter with him by the players tunnel. Tommy and Alan will turn round the team. Pleased with these appointments.
Spot on Pete, really pleased with these appointments, 2 passionate lads who love the club, Whitey should never have been allowed to leave under Gray and cannot wait for tomorrow.Well done to David and John for getting this concluded, now let's get back to winning and into the playoffs.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Wasn't keen when it was first rumoured but on reflection I'm very happy with him and Alan White together. Think Whiteys local connections and fitness coaching makes all the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:55 pm

Statement from Nuneaton:

'Manager departs...

WE CAN confirm that at 6.30pm this evening, Tommy Wright, contacted Chairman, Lee Thorn, who is currently on a long-awaited family holiday in Spain, to inform him that he was resigning from his position as manager.
This has come as a major surprise to everyone at the football club, particularly as he committed his future to the club earlier this week. Tommy met with representatives of Darlington FC, without the knowledge of the Chairman, and they have agreed to pay his notice period and necessary compensation package.
As a result, Dino Maamria has agreed to come in and assist Jon Ashton for tomorrow’s Vanarama National League North encounter with Stockport County here at the LDJ Solicitors Stadium.
We now need your support more than ever on Saturday, so please turn up in good numbers to really get behind Jon, Dino and the players.'

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:00 pm

Sounds like a fair bit in compen then.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:05 pm

It's great that we can bring in two ex-players with management and coaching experience, who clearly love the club. I'll be happy with consolidation this season, let's not put too much pressure on them straight away.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:05 pm

Happy with that appointment we need someone young and up and coming with the Darlo connection.
Also I’ve heard it on good authority that White hates Gray so even better if we stick one over on him!
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:07 pm

I hope as a club we went about this in right and professional manner.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Egg on Nuneatons faces after they appeared to be trying to lord it over us that he turned us down, allegedly... I'm sure what happened to change his mind will come out in the interviews, and i hope we're paying appropriate compo to Nuneaton.

No idea how it will go, but lets get behind em. Wright & Whites Black and White Army :thumbup:

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:13 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:I hope as a club we went about this in right and professional manner.
Cannot see it being any other TBH.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:13 pm

H1987 wrote:Egg on Nuneatons faces after they appeared to be trying to lord it over us that he turned us down, allegedly... I'm sure what happened to change his mind will come out in the interviews, and i hope we're paying appropriate compo to Nuneaton.

No idea how it will go, but lets get behind em. Wright & Whites Black and White Army :thumbup:
I'm sure we did, they don't call us York.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:19 pm

I'm not surprised nuneaton are angry after saying three days ago he had committed his future to them and is the glue that holds them together. The way it has happened is unusual to say the least. It's pretty embarrassing and humiliating for nuneaton and they are obviously furious with wright's complete u-turn that's left them in the s***.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:22 pm

By the way, why are we not using his full name - Tommy wrightsgotaheaderonititscomebackoffthebarseniooooorrrrr?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:27 pm

Welcome to the club Tommy and Alan!

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:37 pm

Quakerz wrote:Welcome to the club Tommy and Alan!
Same here.