Darlo vs Bradford Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo vs Bradford Match Thread

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Agreed - referee was appalling and gave us very little.

I thought that we played well this afternoon. Collins & Galbraith immense at the back. BPA were always going to get chances with the sheer volume of players they threw forward and with their strength with height.

It's a pleasure to finally see some of these lads play football. Particularly the likes of Galbraith, Turnbull, Portas etc. Terry's through ball in the build-up was excellent. Interesting to see us play our way out of dangerous situations with the 2 centre-half's and Bartlett, as oppossed to the predictable long ball previously.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:55 pm

Marrs MOTM for me..

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:59 pm

Makes a nice change for people to be debating who deserves man of match with several to choose from rather than who was least worst.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:22 pm

Great way to finish of Turnbull and Browns interim time in charge and big credit to both of them they stepped up when we needed them as a club. All in all good day at the office and maybe even an air of positivity beginning to creep back in. Keep us within touching distance of the playoffs, a good run in the FA trophy and us getting the roof over theses seats and this will have been a decent season.

Think the slight change in personnel helped today. I think we have the players to really make a success of 4-2-3-1. We have a very strong choice of midfielders in Turnbull, Portas, Wheatley and Syers with Scott there to add some steel. Its where we as a squad are strongest and most of them are really good on the ball we need to give them a set up and confidence to go and play.

BPA are no pushovers and a results like this shows we can still mix it with these teams. In my opinion we are just 2 players away from a playoffs team atm. We need to sort out the situation at CB Galbraith by all counts did well today but he is so much better at LB rather than the centre. We need to know what is happening with Brown I have no problem with him partnering Collins at CB but we need someone to come in and build a partnership. Burgess i still think he should be moved on free up some wage budget to see what we can get in at CB. At the other end depending on Becks injury we need a player to come in while he is out. I like Cartman as an option but i think we need another type of player to mix it up keep the opposition guessing.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:59 pm

I think that I went to a different match today than a lot on here.
I thought we passed it around well up to the centre circle, then we kept losing possession.
We had a lot of players in deep positions but no one getting up to support Cartman.
I think BPA tried to get at Scott as he kept drifting too centrally and to be honest was caught out of positionin the first half leaving Gillies to cover the left hand side.
Hard to believe I know but I thought Gillies did really well to cover for Scott, especially when BPA peushed a CB up the ir right hand side.
Thought we were very lucky today with two lucky goals and very poor finishing from them in the last 10 minutes.
I will take that however as I have seen the reverse happen to us on many occasions over the last 50 years.

Like others, I thought we were not helped by the REF..I could not believe him booking Porats for being fouled.. And later giving them a free kick when Cartman was challenged from behind.
Hopefully, Wright and White will have noticed our lack of movement going forward when we had possession.. Too often Cartman was left isolated up front .
Nice to see us passing it around though instead of the big punt forward.

One or two of you will see this and disagree with what I have written, certainly will by what others have already reported. .. But that is the way I saw it today.

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:30 pm

My opinion wrote:I think that I went to a different match today than a lot on here.
I thought we passed it around well up to the centre circle, then we kept losing possession.
We had a lot of players in deep positions but no one getting up to support Cartman.
I think BPA tried to get at Scott as he kept drifting too centrally and to be honest was caught out of positionin the first half leaving Gillies to cover the left hand side.
Hard to believe I know but I thought Gillies did really well to cover for Scott, especially when BPA peushed a CB up the ir right hand side.
Thought we were very lucky today with two lucky goals and very poor finishing from them in the last 10 minutes.
I will take that however as I have seen the reverse happen to us on many occasions over the last 50 years.

Like others, I thought we were not helped by the REF..I could not believe him booking Porats for being fouled.. And later giving them a free kick when Cartman was challenged from behind.
Hopefully, Wright and White will have noticed our lack of movement going forward when we had possession.. Too often Cartman was left isolated up front .

One or two of you will see this and disagree with what I have written, certainly will by what others have already reported. .. But that is the way I saw it today.
Agree with most of this, we defended pretty well but attacking we were poor today. Seemed to hit a brick wall in our breakaways and cartman looked very isolated - by no fault of his own as he played well.

Didn't enjoy that last 10 mins though :roll:

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:02 pm

My opinion wrote:I think that I went to a different match today than a lot on here.

Agree with all of that,people still have the Cartman rose tinted glasses on, yes he works hard but not good enough in my opinion maybe not getting the service so that's where the new manager comes in, hope the wee man comes good.. And may I add Tez's distribution today was mostly awful and don't get me started on Tommo's passing geeez we were playing in white NOT a Fruit salad kit.. But great we won and let's hope we kick on now and win a few games including the tasty tie against the 8 finger brigade next week..

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:11 pm

Great result in the face of some poor refereeing decisions and a BPA team who could not finish the many chances we gave them at the back. Scott isn't a full-back and it needed Gillies to cover as well as a slice of luck (including his goal from a direct free) . Despite his lack of inches, Marrs was immense and lovely to see how the lads work it out from the back through some sharp passing instead of the usual lump ball.
Barlett as usual kept us in the game with several magnificent saves, Collins and Galbraith starting to form a decent partnership at the back then slipping the ball to either Portas or Turnbull to create something. Cartman put another massive shift in up front which was echoed by Saunders with both pace and tenacity (cartman unjustly booked - more over-enthusiasm than malice).
Not sure how Thommo ended up with MoTM as more than once he had the chance to run at their defence but more often than not, squandered possession and momentum. Still put in a lot of effort. Wheatley made some good contributions when he came on & had the legs and ability to threaten with good effect.
Syers had some good touches but didn't give enough support to Carts. Turnbull & Portas held possession well but could not find the killer pass and we lacked anyone like Ferguson to make the penetrating runs at & through their defence. Caton didn't make much contribution after coming on last as sub but at least we took the 4 points. Brown would have been on the pitch if he could & the future management team were in evidence on the sidelines supporting the team. Well done everyone, although I was a bit disappointed in the crowd of 1312 although we did get behind the lads, at the risk of heart failure in the last 10 minutes.
Let us kick on and see out the rest of the season with some gritty performances and a growing fanbase. :thumbup:

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:18 pm

jjljks wrote:Great result in the face of some poor refereeing decisions and a BPA team who could not finish the many chances we gave them at the back. Scott isn't a full-back and it needed Gillies to cover as well as a slice of luck (including his goal from a direct free) . Despite his lack of inches, Marrs was immense and lovely to see how the lads work it out from the back through some sharp passing instead of the usual lump ball.
Barlett as usual kept us in the game with several magnificent saves, Collins and Galbraith starting to form a decent partnership at the back then slipping the ball to either Portas or Turnbull to create something. Cartman put another massive shift in up front which was echoed by Saunders with both pace and tenacity (cartman unjustly booked - more over-enthusiasm than malice).
Not sure how Thommo ended up with MoTM as more than once he had the chance to run at their defence but more often than not, squandered possession and momentum. Still put in a lot of effort. Wheatley made some good contributions when he came on & had the legs and ability to threaten with good effect.
Syers had some good touches but didn't give enough support to Carts. Turnbull & Portas held possession well but could not find the killer pass and we lacked anyone like Ferguson to make the penetrating runs at & through their defence. Caton didn't make much contribution after coming on last as sub but at least we took the 4 points. Brown would have been on the pitch if he could & the future management team were in evidence on the sidelines supporting the team. Well done everyone, although I was a bit disappointed in the crowd of 1312 although we did get behind the lads, at the risk of heart failure in the last 10 minutes.
Let us kick on and see out the rest of the season with some gritty performances and a growing fanbase. :thumbup:
Growing fan base???

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:29 pm

4 points for a win now ????

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:52 pm

darlo reborn wrote:4 points for a win now ????
ImageImageImageImage

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:37 pm

Come on someone tell us how to get those emoji things working!!

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:02 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote: the tasty tie against the 8 finger brigade next week..
Erm, haven't most people got 8 fingers ?

:problem:
Think before posting

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:21 am

Not on each hand.
:lol:

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:32 am

Plenty for Wright to work with, and plenty for Wright to work on!

Yesterday's performance was 100% better than last weekend, but we were still fortunate to come out with a win. Can't fault the effort and spirit of this group of players though - if there's one thing Gray was good at, it was identifying good characters to have in a squad. Standard good performance from Bartlett (including an unbelievable save in the second half), but particular credit to Scott. He was atrocious last week, but did well yesterday.

Syers came in and did well. I like the idea of Turnbull Portas and Syers in CM - with driving runs from Portas and late surges forward from Syers I think it gives us a very dynamic CM which could cause problems for other teams. Still need to work on creating (and finishing) chances though - hopefully it will come with time as players get used to not just trying to 'hit it to Becky' every single time.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:06 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:Come on someone tell us how to get those emoji things working!!
I am a real dinosaur when it comes to this sort of stuff, but, I do notice when posting using my I phone I have use the emoji's on this board as opposed to the emoji's on the phone as they don't work. Having said that it's probably me not using the phone properly :roll:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:22 am

banktopp wrote:Not on each hand.
:lol:
Thats what I forgot to say.lolImage

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:32 pm

Good, whole-hearted performance and great to get the three points before the tough trip to Blyth. At least we won't have to deal with their top scorer - Dan Maguire was injured yesterday and is out for one to two weeks.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Really looking forward to next week's game, never been to a game at Blyth, hopefully we'll have a good following for the game.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:47 pm

I actually felt we played well yesterday and tactically set-up the right way with last Saturday in mind.

Although Cartman was isolated at times, it clearly helped the shape with Syers dropping in to create a midfield 5. It was also clear that we were a little more decisive with the ball. I.E playing it down the channels and in behind as opposed to side to side for long spells. It worked, we scored two, and should arguably have got one more through Syers or Wheatley.

BPA looked like a decent side, I'd probably expect around mid-table from them this season.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:54 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Really looking forward to next week's game, never been to a game at Blyth, hopefully we'll have a good following for the game.
Decent ground Pete, nice big playing surface and a fish and chip shop right outside the ground.Gutted to miss the game as on holiday but with a good following and them probably missing McGuire, would not be surprised to take the 3 points.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:56 pm

Yeh going up earlyish, to try the local fish and chips. What are the pubs like round the ground?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:50 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Yeh going up earlyish, to try the local fish and chips. What are the pubs like round the ground?
Rough as fook... Weatherspoons is not bad it's only a 10 min walk away

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:10 pm

It's segregated this time unsurprisingly.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:46 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Yeh going up earlyish, to try the local fish and chips. What are the pubs like round the ground?

Weatherspoon's it is then.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:33 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

I think it were an old cinema

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:22 pm

didn't feel too threatened from them until the last 10 mins. They had a few crosses from their right in the first.

Agree that Marrs played well. I did think Thompson played well, he put lots of effort in and won the free kick for the second goal with some excellent play. Wish he'd look to take on players when he's 1 on 1. He doesn't necessarily have to take them on, just shift onto his left then cross.

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:08 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

I think it were an old cinema
Yes, it is an old cinema, went there before the match in 2015

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks for that, are they ok with fans wearing football tops in the pub? Is there any cover in the area where Darlo fans will be located?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:25 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Thanks for that, are they ok with fans wearing football tops in the pub? Is there any cover in the area where Darlo fans will be located?
No problems keeping dry Pete, stands behind both goals and a large stand along the side.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk