Investment

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Investment

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:55 pm

The club has gone as far as it can being funded by the fans, we need to look at the ownership structure and I'm sure that the majority of fans would welcome some outside investment.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:28 am

Big Tim wrote:I smell a WUM...
Clearly a WUM.

Serious investors don't blurt their plans out anonymously on a message board.

More interesting is the general consensus from fans on being willing to accept some level of outside investment, but the differing ideas about the form that should take.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Unstuck

Post by Unstuck » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:09 am

Personally, I wouldn't trust anyone who doesn't put spaces after commas.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:55 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:The club has gone as far as it can being funded by the fans, we need to look at the ownership structure and I'm sure that the majority of fans would welcome some outside investment.
If you believe that strongly applications for joining DFCSG board close tomorrow. There is a reason back in 2012 that maximum 15% individual ownership was included but some people have short memories. I smell a rat (or a Ted) with OP

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:00 am

Personally want to see how far we can get as fans and to that point I think that would officially be our level.

Nothing in the past 5 years has told me this football club can make sizeable profits. If there is a good Samaritan who wants to put in to our infrastructure then so be it but beyond that I short term gain long term pain.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:24 am

I’ve no doubt that the OP is on the wind up, but the discussion is still there to be had.

Our pal Mr Gray opened up a pretty sizeable wound on this one and I think the scab is going to be picked at for a good while yet.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:30 am

Personally, I'd like to see how far the club can go without investment.

I don't subscribe to the feeling from a seeming majority of fans that we've gone as far as we can without investment, or have hit a celing.

I'm certain that we can get to the next level, be it in 2 year or 5 years.

I'm saddened that so many people think we've hit our limit, based on one season.

Even WITH investment we'll hit a ceiling, then what?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:31 am

Munro wrote:Again thankyou for the replies,yes indeed I am a potential investor.I would not be looking to take control of your club,just looking at ways that I may be able to work alongside a fan owned model.
Is your name Ted?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:32 am

Munro, is it purely coincidence that your post to gauge fans opinion to investment
came immediatly after plans were announced for the "Raise the Roof" pitch.
You cannot blame some supporters for being suspicious after the last attempt to invest / take over by Singh and Gray.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:50 am

Quakerz wrote:Personally, I'd like to see how far the club can go without investment.

I don't subscribe to the feeling from a seeming majority of fans that we've gone as far as we can without investment, or have hit a celing.

I'm saddened that so many people think we've hit our limit, based on one season.

I agree with this. Sadly it's the nature of society these days- everyone wants everything immediately. There's no patience for building or growing something organically.

There's no reason once the stand is built and the 5 year season tickets expire, and as revenue no-longer needs to be focussed on infrastructure with quite the same force, that we can't achieve at least one more promotion.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:51 am

Quakerz wrote:
Munro wrote:Again thankyou for the replies,yes indeed I am a potential investor.I would not be looking to take control of your club,just looking at ways that I may be able to work alongside a fan owned model.
Is your name Ted?
Bullshit Ted already posts on here under the name tezza.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:52 am

Spyman wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
Is your name Ted?
I thought Ted was dead. :roll:

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:56 am

Spyman wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
Is your name Ted?
I don't think that is Ted, I don't remember him being as literate as tezza.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:57 am

Quakerz wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
Is your name Ted?
100% sure it is.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:13 am

Quakerz wrote:Personally, I'd like to see how far the club can go without investment.

Brilliant post. Are we (the fans/owners) going to do 'a Gray' as soon as we hit our first sticky patch? We're better than that - aren't we?

At present we have a few teething problems, but these can be sorted with some hard work and a bit of patience - and remember everyone, if we get a bad chairman or similar, at present we can do something about it. Not like how it was under previous regimes.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:15 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:The club has gone as far as it can being funded by the fans,
What do you base that bollocks on?

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:18 am

Quakerz wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
Is your name Ted?
And Tezza puts a space after commas, so he is not Munro.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:23 am

Quakerz wrote:
We're calling on the same fans everytime to help with fundraising and I think the struggle to raise the cash for a new stand shows that we have gone as far as we can by funding from the fans only.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:27 am

We'll get the stand built. And we're more than capable of a promotion push in the next season or two, as we are.

Having said that, if someone wants to come in and genuinely put money in - I wouldn't neccesarily be against it if it was going to benefit the club.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:47 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
We're calling on the same fans everytime to help with fundraising and I think the struggle to raise the cash for a new stand shows that we have gone as far as we can by funding from the fans only.
You obviously see things differently to me then Pete. I see the fact we've raised over £140K since May to boost a playing budget and build two thirds of the new stand and we're currently 17% towards the final fundraising which will enable us to participate in the playoffs and take promotion.

Should we not achieve promotion it will also represent the end of any current essential infrastructure fundraising until that point and even at that point additional grants would be available on a 50/50 basis to complete the additional work.

Of course this cannot go on forever but in truth it doesn't need to. Once the infrastructure is in place then we do not need to raise anymore unless the fans have an appetite to boost the playing budget, but that's up to them, it's certainly not critical as long as the books are balanced (who knows maybe TW might even win a cup game) The end of the 5 year season tickets is probably worth somewhere IRO £60K phased over 2 seasons - £30K in 21/22 and £30K in 22/23 which will give a natural uplift to a point where we should have a budget that will enable us to compete at the top of this division sustainably meaning that promotion to the next level becomes a possibility

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:59 am

Quakerz wrote:We'll get the stand built. And we're more than capable of a promotion push in the next season or two, as we are.

Having said that, if someone wants to come in and genuinely put money in - I wouldn't neccesarily be against it if it was going to benefit the club.
This is exactly it, there is no way we've reached our ceiling as we reached the playoffs last season, so while we might not reach them heights every year; we are more than capable of reaching the next level.

With regards to investment, it's the safeguards that are important, however I'm in no rush to go chasing it, we can progress at least to the next level without it, and ultimately I'd be happy enough trying to make progress as we are as ultimately we are at a level that we will maintain our core support easier, if we were a level down then I'd fear that people might get sick of it

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:10 am

I too feel we have not reached our ceiling as a fan owned club. Progress will of course slow down, but there is still somewhere for us to go. I think our limit under this ownership is bottom half of the conference (which is only 1 division below our limit if we had a sugardaddy, unless that sugerdaddy was obscenely rich). We have a competitive budget for this level as it is, and that will only get more competitive over the next few years for a variety of reasons. We can get BM up to Conference standard relatively cheaply too.

IF we had a suitable ground then I'd say we may even make it back to the FL under complete fan ownership - all it would take would be one fluke of a season/selling a young player for big money/a big cup run(!!!). As it is, I think we'll struggle to find the money to build a football league standard ground (although if we could cobble together the presumably 7 figure sum it would require then it raises the question as to whether it's sensible to be investing that much money in someone else's ground)

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:24 am

al_quaker wrote:I too feel we have not reached our ceiling as a fan owned club. Progress will of course slow down, but there is still somewhere for us to go. I think our limit under this ownership is bottom half of the conference (which is only 1 division below our limit if we had a sugardaddy, unless that sugerdaddy was obscenely rich). We have a competitive budget for this level as it is, and that will only get more competitive over the next few years for a variety of reasons. We can get BM up to Conference standard relatively cheaply too.

IF we had a suitable ground then I'd say we may even make it back to the FL under complete fan ownership - all it would take would be one fluke of a season/selling a young player for big money/a big cup run(!!!). As it is, I think we'll struggle to find the money to build a football league standard ground (although if we could cobble together the presumably 7 figure sum it would require then it raises the question as to whether it's sensible to be investing that much money in someone else's ground)
That about sums it up really.

We are just about outside the playoffs currently (somehow) and people think we will be relegated and Evostik is our limit. This is crazy, in all seriousness our budget is very good for this level, in fact I would guess at similar to Spenny and more than Blyth.

We need that seated stand in asap (which will happen before March) not for a promotion push but just to see development of the ground which does need to happen. We all know some kind of terracing is probably required at the open end, all of this will take time & money.

tezza

Post by tezza » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:39 am

I, like several hundred other fans are already an investors.

I therefore think the principle of "investment" is well established. It seems to me when investment is coupled with the word "outside" is where the emotion starts.

The terms of any investment are currently entwined within the fan owned model.
If you are a serious "major" investor then I am sure you are aware of this.

I can understand to a degree why you would try to use this media to gauge the feeling amongst the fan base, however feedback from a mainly anonymous and unproven base, would to my mind be not totally reliable or valid.

Surely the better course would be to go through the official channels of the Board or supporters group as a first step.

So for that reason alone I would question your legitimacy.

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:52 am

three months into a season where we arent running away with the league and we've reached our limit? - its only since the demotion that fans had any expectations like this. Suspect its the younger/ newer part of our fanbase whose expectations are as high, and thats fine and comes with the enthusiasm of youth - but us oldies who've supported the club through thin and thin for fifty years see the progress we've made from basically nothing and are realistic enough to expect a slowdown and a possible period of consolidation.Have patience my young friends - we've not peaked yet ;)

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:53 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
al_quaker wrote:I too feel we have not reached our ceiling as a fan owned club. Progress will of course slow down, but there is still somewhere for us to go. I think our limit under this ownership is bottom half of the conference (which is only 1 division below our limit if we had a sugardaddy, unless that sugerdaddy was obscenely rich). We have a competitive budget for this level as it is, and that will only get more competitive over the next few years for a variety of reasons. We can get BM up to Conference standard relatively cheaply too.

That about sums it up really.

We are just about outside the playoffs currently (somehow) and people think we will be relegated and Evostik is our limit. This is crazy, in all seriousness our budget is very good for this level, in fact I would guess at similar to Spenny and more than Blyth.

We need that seated stand in asap (which will happen before March) not for a promotion push but just to see development of the ground which does need to happen. We all know some kind of terracing is probably required at the open end, all of this will take time & money.
And in theory, once that seated stand is in, and we perhaps put some more terracing down, the viewing experience improves and we attract larger crowds as a result, therefore boosting our funds further and for the long term - rather than one-off pleas for cash injections.

DC

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:54 am

tezza wrote:

Surely the better course would be to go through the official channels of the Board or supporters group as a first step.

So for that reason alone I would question your legitimacy.
:clap:

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:11 am

I think we need to remember the people who put money in the buckets regularly, buy raffle and 50/50 tickets and contribute from money raised at their wedding, etc. It's a huge number of people not just those with shares (and they are brilliant too!)

divas

Post by divas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:14 am

Make that 27%

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:30 am

divas wrote:Make that 27%
:shock:

Fair play to whoever's chucked that in :clap: