Blyth V Darlington FC match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Blyth V Darlington FC match thread

Post by divas » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:50 pm

When you start signing part time players on full time wages the landscape is different

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:33 pm

If that is the case then you wouldn't be able to shift them to a Northern League team very easily.

And why would any sane player cancel their contract to go elsewhere if their contract is full time money?

I think we're pretty much stuck with all of the players that the manager might want to move on.

Cheers Martin.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:09 pm

My opinion wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:I'm not sure how you equate that with giving Ray stick? I'm just suggesting questions like is "Kevin fully fit?" "Some fans feel vaulks has played well, is he injured?" Would be helpful to know.
I'm not saying you were giving him stick. Generally though it's always "Why isn't Ray asking the difficult questions?" Any criticism questions being too soft gets directed towards Ray when actually he works for the club.

But the independent Craig Stoddart seemingly gets a free ride.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
We have seen before how Gray reacted to difficult questions. He becomes very rude and does not answer the question asked.
I have spoken to him myself and seen first hand how he react. (when helping clear the HP pitch of water)
It would not have done Craig Stoddart or anyone else any favours if difficult questions
were asked, indipendant or not
Is that not their job though? To ask difficult questions regardless of the reaction.

Running scared doesn't hold the likes of Gray to account. It caves in to what they want.

And anyway, Gray left a month ago.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:10 pm

Quakerz wrote:If that is the case then you wouldn't be able to shift them to a Northern League team very easily.

And why would any sane player cancel their contract to go elsewhere if their contract is full time money?

I think we're pretty much stuck with all of the players that the manager might want to move on.

Cheers Martin.
That's ok though, he was working within the budget.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:50 pm

We're going to require a bit of patience re our team and situation, as unfortunately we have some difficult fixtures in the pipeline.

After the York away match ( :silent: ) Gray was in charge of 9 league games and from these 9 games we gleaned 7 points, with 1 win, 4 draws and 4 losses. There were some costly slip ups in these games and now T.W. is looking at a hard run of matches to make up ground.

Or to put it another way - Gray's last 9 were easier than T.W's first 9.

So we've had Blyth - and the next 8 includes, Brackley, Kiddiminster, Tamworth, Salford, Harrogate twice !! and York. It looks tough, but I feel we'll get more than 7 points, I hope so anyway

I reckon we do need a few new players in, and to get Beck sorted ASAP so he can either stay or go.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:57 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:We're going to require a bit of patience re our team and situation, as unfortunately we have some difficult fixtures in the pipeline.

After the York away match ( :silent: ) Gray was in charge of 9 league games and from these 9 games we gleaned 7 points, with 1 win, 4 draws and 4 losses. There were some costly slip ups in these games and now T.W. is looking at a hard run of matches to make up ground.

Or to put it another way - Gray's last 9 were easier than T.W's first 9.

So we've had Blyth - and the next 8 includes, Brackley, Kiddiminster, Tamworth, Salford, Harrogate twice !! and York. It looks tough, but I feel we'll get more than 7 points, I hope so anyway

I reckon we do need a few new players in, and to get Beck sorted ASAP so he can either stay or go.
We know we are in for a season of consolidation. I'd be happy for Wright to try and blood in a couple of youngsters rather than worry too much about incomings and outgoings.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:28 pm

Spyman wrote:We know we are in for a season of consolidation. I'd be happy for Wright to try and blood in a couple of youngsters rather than worry too much about incomings and outgoings.

We must realise our budget is spent, we can’t sell on dead wood, and new players are not budgeted for without prior sales.

If he does blood the youth, giving the likes of Saunders, Vaulks and any other rough diamonds in the youths/reserves a sustained chance in the first team, he’ll have my patience for the rest of the season, and I assume the same of the majority of fans.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:47 pm

I for one enjoyed the game, we tried to play football and had the opportunity to win this game. Blyth were good and moved the ball quickly, each on the team supporting each other working in triangles an rarely wasting a ball except for the odd over hit ball (something we can learn from?). while Blyth knew where their players were and able to move the ball quickly we are still suffering from the MG way with the players getting the ball then having to look up to see where they would pass the ball as players are waiting for the ball rather than looking to support and find space with movement.

It looked a quite cynical challenge on Collins from behind which did make it more difficult for us in second half. Saying that we started second half brightly and looked good but for some unfathomable reason Scott decided to take on a player with no support behind him, lost the ball and goal down against (in my opinion) the run of play at that time. Then two goals down we played some great football and could have scored two goals with Jameson saving with his feet (the first opportunity was great move and interplay by Cartman and Gillies).

I did struggle to understand the substitutes, taking off Gillies and Syers who looked along with Cartman our most dangerous players. Saying that, we have a new management and they will need to understand the team so I for one realise that they will need to get an understanding of the team over time.

The team itself looked down hearted at the end but they should not have given they were playing the team in third place and I feel that we are not far off having a great run of form.

Issues on the left hand side needs to be looked at, Scott was walked passed many times in both halves as he drifted in towards the centre to cover the space and Blyth had 3 players charging down that side, he needed support which was not there. Also Scott lived close to danger of being sent off with some of the challenges over the game especially after his mistakes.

Thompson seems to have lost confidence, being slow in movement and never taking a man on and can't remember last time he had a hard shot from outside the box (something he used to be good at) even though he had some good delivery into him and with space and rarely defending back with Scott.

Gillies and Marrs seem to be getting a good relationship building covering each other on the right side.

Overall no player had a really bad game but individual errors cost us although Catton looked like he did against BPA a bit lost not looking like he wants to be here.

Also to note that Ian Watson at left back, Dale Hobson midfield and Jameson in goal for them had good games (players that MG thought weren't good enough for us).

I believe the new management team will turn this around, (may need to take some hard decisions), and we need to build for next year with some of the young ones given the chance (wheatley, Vaulx and Saunders). Overall just happy to see the team trying to play football at last and looking close to delivering to their potential. Aim to build for next years promotion push and if we get into promotion place this year treat it as a bonus (along with a cup run:))

Now we as fans now need to prove that we can do our part and raise the money to get this stand built and get rid of that last hurdle.

"up the Quakers"

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:47 pm

We have sold Ferguson to York so presumably his wages are now available. If Beck, when fit, also goes to York that should free up more funds and allow us to bring in a couple of new players. Assuming Gray really was in budget!!!!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:57 pm

dfc4me wrote:We have sold Ferguson to York so presumably his wages are now available. If Beck, when fit, also goes to York that should free up more funds and allow us to bring in a couple of new players. Assuming Gray really was in budget!!!!
And we've reduced the coaching staff numbers too (which will presumably translate into reduced costs) so you'd think that we are spending less money now than in the latter stages of Grays reign. Saying that, I wouldn't be against us operating at a slightly reduced budget than what Gray had at the start of the season, which presumably was stretching us to the max

If Beck goes though, we will definitely need to bring a striker in.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:00 pm

al_quaker wrote:
dfc4me wrote:We have sold Ferguson to York so presumably his wages are now available. If Beck, when fit, also goes to York that should free up more funds and allow us to bring in a couple of new players. Assuming Gray really was in budget!!!!
And we've reduced the coaching staff numbers too (which will presumably translate into reduced costs) so you'd think that we are spending less money now than in the latter stages of Grays reign. Saying that, I wouldn't be against us operating at a slightly reduced budget than what Gray had at the start of the season, which presumably was stretching us to the max

If Beck goes though, we will definitely need to bring a striker in.
But, crowds are down on the predicted forecasts, leaving a shortfall, and we paid compensation for Tommy Wright. I'd imagine we have spent up, or need any monies generated to cover budget shortfall.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:29 am

Beano wrote:But, crowds are down on the predicted forecasts, leaving a shortfall, and we paid compensation for Tommy Wright. I'd imagine we have spent up, or need any monies generated to cover budget shortfall.
Didn't DJ did say in programme notes whilst they are down slightly the extra £2 on the ticket doesn't put us in that bad a position.

At this stage we should be in a decent place cash wise and with the changes made from a staffing perspective we should be able to adjust accordingly.

Ultimately we have lost £85k pro-rata from our budget (isn't that about a third of our total revenue?). I wouldn't expect that the transfer fee received for Ferguson would be less than what we had to pay to compensation Nuneaton for Wright - it isn't entirely implausible that Wright's salary will be less than Ferguson's either.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:29 am

Tommy Wright did say on the radio, that he would bring in players, but only if they were the right one's and they could do a job for us. He wouldn't bring in players just for the sake of it. So I'd expect him to have a good look at what we have before he brings anybody in.

Radar

Post by Radar » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:49 am

I so want TW and AW to prevail and be massive successes for us but...........
They need to get this squad sorted sooner rather than later. The honeymoon period only lasts as long as the results on the pitch. They need to be bold and move players on who are deemed not good enough, and replaced with better.

windyforce4

Post by windyforce4 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:53 am

Mendes and Vaulkes both played for the reserves on Saturday . Vaulks "did well " says the reserve team manager. Althougth a diffrent league is he the answere. Trains with the first team so TW and AW will see his potential and decide when his ready.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:13 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Tommy Wright did say on the radio, that he would bring in players, but only if they were the right one's and they could do a job for us. He wouldn't bring in players just for the sake of it.
Good to hear him getting the management clichés in early.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:15 am

Did anybody see Alan White at the game on Saturday, I'm pretty sure he wasn't in the dugout?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:58 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Tommy Wright did say on the radio, that he would bring in players, but only if they were the right one's and they could do a job for us. He wouldn't bring in players just for the sake of it.
Spyman wrote:Good to hear him getting the management clichés in early.
:lol: :clap: clearly comments like that keep some punters happy Spyman!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:13 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Did anybody see Alan White at the game on Saturday, I'm pretty sure he wasn't in the dugout?
Sat in the stands.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:15 am

AndyPark wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Did anybody see Alan White at the game on Saturday, I'm pretty sure he wasn't in the dugout?
Sat in the stands.
Ok thanks Andy. Thought it would have been better to have been in the dugout with TW, unless they were in contact by phone.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:34 am

Or better to have a different perspective and a view from higher up?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:24 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Or better to have a different perspective and a view from higher up?
Or maybe it was something to do with a touchline ban picked up while in his previous job?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Or that, of course!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:34 pm

loan_star wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:Or better to have a different perspective and a view from higher up?
Or maybe it was something to do with a touchline ban picked up while in his previous job?
How long is that due to run for Robbo?

windyforce4

Post by windyforce4 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:08 pm

Got sent off at York with Spenny. Just one game.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:09 pm

windyforce4 wrote:Got sent off at York with Spenny. Just one game.
Thanks for that, it'll be good to have his presence in the dugout on Saturday, especially for the defence.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:09 pm

windyforce4 wrote:Got sent off at York with Spenny. Just one game.

Spennymoor have not played at York.

They play there in January

If it was against york, it must have been the home game

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:17 am

50 years wrote:I for one enjoyed the game, we tried to play football and had the opportunity to win this game. Blyth were good and moved the ball quickly, each on the team supporting each other working in triangles an rarely wasting a ball except for the odd over hit ball (something we can learn from?). while Blyth knew where their players were and able to move the ball quickly we are still suffering from the MG way with the players getting the ball then having to look up to see where they would pass the ball as players are waiting for the ball rather than looking to support and find space with movement.

It looked a quite cynical challenge on Collins from behind which did make it more difficult for us in second half. Saying that we started second half brightly and looked good but for some unfathomable reason Scott decided to take on a player with no support behind him, lost the ball and goal down against (in my opinion) the run of play at that time. Then two goals down we played some great football and could have scored two goals with Jameson saving with his feet (the first opportunity was great move and interplay by Cartman and Gillies).

I did struggle to understand the substitutes, taking off Gillies and Syers who looked along with Cartman our most dangerous players. Saying that, we have a new management and they will need to understand the team so I for one realise that they will need to get an understanding of the team over time.

The team itself looked down hearted at the end but they should not have given they were playing the team in third place and I feel that we are not far off having a great run of form.

Issues on the left hand side needs to be looked at, Scott was walked passed many times in both halves as he drifted in towards the centre to cover the space and Blyth had 3 players charging down that side, he needed support which was not there. Also Scott lived close to danger of being sent off with some of the challenges over the game especially after his mistakes.

Thompson seems to have lost confidence, being slow in movement and never taking a man on and can't remember last time he had a hard shot from outside the box (something he used to be good at) even though he had some good delivery into him and with space and rarely defending back with Scott.

Gillies and Marrs seem to be getting a good relationship building covering each other on the right side.

Overall no player had a really bad game but individual errors cost us although Catton looked like he did against BPA a bit lost not looking like he wants to be here.

Also to note that Ian Watson at left back, Dale Hobson midfield and Jameson in goal for them had good games (players that MG thought weren't good enough for us).

I believe the new management team will turn this around, (may need to take some hard decisions), and we need to build for next year with some of the young ones given the chance (wheatley, Vaulx and Saunders). Overall just happy to see the team trying to play football at last and looking close to delivering to their potential. Aim to build for next years promotion push and if we get into promotion place this year treat it as a bonus (along with a cup run:))

Now we as fans now need to prove that we can do our part and raise the money to get this stand built and get rid of that last hurdle.

"up the Quakers"
Glad that someone else was at the same game I saw. First half, we took our chance and despite the wind, knocked the ball about along the floor. Bartlett kept Blyth out and Collins held the defence together until a cynical foul crocked him.

Second half started without us being switched on and they capitalised on mistakes and our former players Jameson, Watson & Hopson got inspired. Ref missed a blatant penalty which could if converted got us back to 2-2, but instead we got caught chasing the game. Couldn't understand our substitution of Gillies who was a threat, would have taken Thommo off. He seems to have lost his mojo & pace and/or is outside his comfort zone at this level.

Generally our fans made more supportive noise than at BM, but did let off one blue flare (although could have been a cheapo Cape!). Blyth stewards stirred up some I'll feeling by not letting some lads put a banner up on the fence behind the goal. All it should have taken was to point out they would've covered the Vanarama sponsor board and there was space at the side.

TW has some difficult games coming up but needs to shuffle the team and get some key players fit again else give the likes of Wheatley, Vaulks and Saunders a starting spot. Time to step up or move out, no room for faint hearts. We CAN do it :thumbup:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:32 am

I saw Big Tim being led out, after the flare had been let off when we scored, protesting his innocence. I assume they got the wrong person.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:20 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:I'm not sure how you equate that with giving Ray stick? I'm just suggesting questions like is "Kevin fully fit?" "Some fans feel vaulks has played well, is he injured?" Would be helpful to know.
I'm not saying you were giving him stick. Generally though it's always "Why isn't Ray asking the difficult questions?" Any criticism questions being too soft gets directed towards Ray when actually he works for the club.

But the independent Craig Stoddart seemingly gets a free ride.

Perhaps a few facts may make you realise the question has already been asked.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... orcements/

If the paywall stops you reading the key part, this is what it says :-

"But, at 18-years-old, Gray believes Vaulks is one for the future and does not want to blood him just yet.
The manager said: “He’s not ready to start games. If everyone was fit I’d have him out on loan so that he can get some senior football and full games.
“He’s not ready to start at this level, not yet.
“He needs more men’s football but at the right level.
“He’s a level-headed lad, but he’s young and needs to learn.
“We have talked about it but we’re very happy with him, he’s got all the tools, he just needs to learn the game.”