From the Echo Wright attempts to bring new signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

From the Echo Wright attempts to bring new signings

Post by poppyfield » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:03 pm

Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlopartisan

Re: From the Echo Wright attempts to bring new signings

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Sounds like Brown is fit to play

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:25 pm

Good news all round.

Hopefully Brown comes through training OK (although if he doesn't we must not rush him), and a new face or 2 would be most welcome.

Also, I continue to be impressed by Wright's interviews.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:36 pm

One of the Nuneaton fans reckoned Wright was interested in one of their central defenders called Brad-Lee Gascoigne, who used to play for Wright at Corby. Might be nothing.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:49 pm

Very happy with that interview. Agree with his opinion on Beck would of loved for him to stay but with that clause in that contract you are always in danger of creating uncertainty. Anyone at anytime could activate that clause and then put our position in doubt.

A bit sad that he is looking to bring in a GK think Ed should be given his chance he didn't put a foot wrong last season and showed lots of promise. Happy to just have him and sit a Youth GK on the bench and use the loan market if need be.

I'd be happy to see us move out Burgess and bring in a CB, LW and a CF. Like to see us line up:

Ed

Marrs, Brown/New CB, Collins, Galbraith

Turnbull, Wheatley

Gillies, Syers, New LW

New CF

Bench of: Youth GK, Brown/new CB, Portas, Thompson, Cartman

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:00 pm

JE93 wrote:Very happy with that interview. Agree with his opinion on Beck would of loved for him to stay but with that clause in that contract you are always in danger of creating uncertainty. Anyone at anytime could activate that clause and then put our position in doubt.

A bit sad that he is looking to bring in a GK think Ed should be given his chance he didn't put a foot wrong last season and showed lots of promise. Happy to just have him and sit a Youth GK on the bench and use the loan market if need be.

I'd be happy to see us move out Burgess and bring in a CB, LW and a CF. Like to see us line up:

Ed

Turnbull, Wheatley

Gillies, Syers, New LW

New CF

That would be a decent side, and I echo your sentiments regarding Ed. I'd like to see Vaulks more involved in match-day squads, and I would also be happy to sell Gillies if it allows us to bring in a pair orthodox wingers (as opposed to Gillies and Thompson who both prefer to play behind the strikers).

Username

Post by Username » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:45 pm

Evening. Thought I would register to offer some Chinese whispers on what I have heard through the grapevine. Hearing rumours that Gillies is on his way out and also a bid has been put in for the lad from tamworth stych. Think priority is a new defender and to replace beck. Interesting to see what style of play TW wants to play. Comes across well in his interview I too agree. Hopefully we will have a couple of new signings by the weekend and we can start climbing the table.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:52 pm

I'd be very happy if we signed Styche, and he has played for Wright before. Can't imagine he'd come cheap though

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:04 pm

al_quaker wrote:I'd be very happy if we signed Styche, and he has played for Wright before. Can't imagine he'd come cheap though
In the words of Don Logan from Sexy Beast:
"No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no."

7 clubs since 2014 tells its own story.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

divas

Post by divas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:12 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
al_quaker wrote:I'd be very happy if we signed Styche, and he has played for Wright before. Can't imagine he'd come cheap though
"No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no."

Banging them in for Tamworth this season though so maybe he's settled. I'm sure I read somewhere at the start of the season that he wanted to go part time which is why he opted for Tamworth rather than Nuneaton. I'm assuming he's settle in that part of the world - of course he might be willing to travel but it would be easier to just play locally at the same level.

A forward line of Styche and Chambers would be mouth watering

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:22 pm

In which case, if he's settled, why would he leave a play-off chasing team for a side that's struggled since September?

The only reason would be money, and I've made my thoughts on excessive spending quite clear in recent months.

Given his record and struggles of the last few years (looking broadly, not just the last few months), spending big money on him would be a huge gamble.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Divas, totally off topic, but do you know where I can find a link to the computer generated image of the new extended stand which appears on the Tin Shed forum? The one on there doesn't expand.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:33 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Divas, totally off topic, but do you know where I can find a link to the computer generated image of the new extended stand which appears on the Tin Shed forum? The one on there doesn't expand.
Pm me your email address and I'll send it. Chap called Steve Edghill has been doing some design work for us - I think it looks great.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:49 pm

Beano wrote:
JE93 wrote:Very happy with that interview. Agree with his opinion on Beck would of loved for him to stay but with that clause in that contract you are always in danger of creating uncertainty. Anyone at anytime could activate that clause and then put our position in doubt.

Ed

Turnbull, Wheatley

Gillies, Syers, New LW

New CF

That would be a decent side, and I echo your sentiments regarding Ed. I'd like to see Vaulks more involved in match-day squads, and I would also be happy to sell Gillies if it allows us to bring in a pair orthodox wingers (as opposed to Gillies and Thompson who both prefer to play behind the strikers).
Scott would be an option in midfield to add a bit of aggression there. I do like Wheatley though as he is genuinely box to box.

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:02 pm

It frustrates me that Wheatley isn’t starting.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:26 pm

Beano wrote:It frustrates me that Wheatley isn’t starting.
He's very talented. Maybe its just a consistency thing at the moment but I'm really hopeful about him. not sure how far you go back but reminds me a bit of a player I liked called Gary Twynham with his touch and ability to carry the ball.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:42 am

Darlogramps wrote:

Styche is a quality striker who scores goals. In fact he scored a good goal v York the other week.

I'd love to see us sign him although I can't see how we'd get him without a big transfer fee and wages.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:50 am

Just imagine, a striker in a Darlo kit scoring a goal ...... in fact imagine a striker in a Darlo kit scoring two goals - in one game!

It would seem like a some kind of crazy dream!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:54 am

Ed

Turnbull, Wheatley

Gillies, Syers, New LW

New CF

Agree on the GK situation. We have a competent, reasonably experienced keeper at the club. Lets use him and not waste a wage on another competent, reasonably experienced keeper. We're not gunning for promotion so we don't need to gamble money on someone of Bartlett's quality or pedigree. If money is to be spent on the squad, then it can be better spent elsewhere.

Some full-back cover until Hunter is fit, and another option up front would be my priorities. A goalkeeper is probably some way down the list for me.

Interesting that we signed Collins with a pre-existing injury that he'd been managing with injections. Did he have a medical? Another short-termist signing by Gray right there.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:04 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Styche is a quality striker who scores goals. In fact he scored a good goal v York the other week.

I'd love to see us sign him although I can't see how we'd get him without a big transfer fee and wages.
If he's so good, why did he spend most of the last 3 years on loan at various clubs?

He's done well in the last few months but if you stretch it back over the last few years he's struggled for any sort of consistency (which would be essential here as a lack of goal threat has been a problem this season for us).

That, and the obvious money issues make it a non-starter for me. Would be a massive risk.

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:32 pm

Well he was at clubs at a higher level for some of that time for starters.

I really don’t think we could hope to sign a forward with greater pedigree than Styche given the position we’re currently in. I’d take him all day long but would question whether he would be willing to make the move.

Out of curiosity is there any other forwards that have been linked or could be feasible options that you’d rather take a punt on given that we’re crying out for goals? Genuinely interested.

petenita

Post by petenita » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:45 pm

Wijnhard's_Schlong wrote:Well he was at clubs at a higher level for some of that time for starters.

I really don’t think we could hope to sign a forward with greater pedigree than Styche given the position we’re currently in. I’d take him all day long but would question whether he would be willing to make the move.

Out of curiosity is there any other forwards that have been linked or could be feasible options that you’d rather take a punt on given that we’re crying out for goals? Genuinely interested.
Liam Hardy :D :D :D

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:46 pm

Nathan Fisher? Scoring loads for West Auckland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:52 pm

Good to see we're still well capable of just listing ex-Darlo players as possibilities.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:02 pm

Interesting that only one of the potential signings, is currently playing for a north-east side. Agree that Ed should be given his chance to prove himself, there is no immediate need for us to sign a keeper.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:04 pm

Adam Mitchell?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:23 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:Adam Mitchell?

Amar Purewal or David Dowson?

DC

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Spyman wrote:Good to see we're still well capable of just listing ex-Darlo players as possibilities.

I can see where you're coming from....however, it's widely acknowledged that Martin Gray got rid of quite a few players too quickly. The likes of Nathan Thomas, Curtis Edwards, Anthony Callaghan, Ian Watson and arguably Pete Jameson have improved since leaving. Surely if they're playing well we should consider them? As is the case with Nathan Fisher.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:26 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:
Spyman wrote:Good to see we're still well capable of just listing ex-Darlo players as possibilities.

I can see where you're coming from....however, it's widely acknowledged that Martin Gray got rid of quite a few players too quickly. The likes of Nathan Thomas, Curtis Edwards, Anthony Callaghan, Ian Watson and arguably Pete Jameson have improved since leaving. Surely if they're playing well we should consider them? As is the case with Nathan Fisher.

Maybe, but the players you've listed, Watson and Jameson aside (who were both good enough but we had better options in their positions at the time and couldn't give them game time) were young players starting out with little first team experience and Gray didn't have the inclination to let them adjust.

Fisher is a player who has dropped through the divisions and had plenty of game time with us at a lower level than we're at now and just didn't click. He's now performing at a lower level than we're at now and I think that probably indicates that he's found his level.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:33 pm

I definitely think Hardy could do a job, we should never have gotten rid.

Purewal is playing well below his level at West, and again I thought Gray got rid too soon after he recovered from injury.

Regarding a keeper, I think TW might be after Dean Lyness from Nuneaton.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017