Dutch Article on experiencing a Darlington FC match

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JamesDarlo
Team Supported: Darlington

Dutch Article on experiencing a Darlington FC match

Post by JamesDarlo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:37 pm

So I'm a student in Manchester at the moment, and last year I made a friend who was on exchange from Rotterdam for 6 months. On the weekend of meeting, the Stockport away fixture was coming up and I invited him to come along. I'm sure anyone who was there will remember the fixture well, 3-3 thriller and that.

Recently he's organised to come and visit the North-East to come and see us in our fixture against York, he's also bringing a friend who writes for a Dutch magazine about ground hopping around the world, so he's coming to see what we're about at Blackwell. After talking a bit, he showed me an article he wrote about his day at Stockport I never knew existed, so thought I'd share.

Keep in mind this article has been put through Google translate so the grammar will be a little bit off, but thought it would be fun to share.
Question 12 A: What cultural experience do you want to share or would you recommend someone who is also going to study in the city where you lived?

This question was presented to me for the evaluation of my study in England. If you have lived in Manchester for three months, you would expect a response to this question as the visit to 'the Printworks' or the fact that you went to see Albert Square. If you are talking about football then you have certainly also looked at United or City for a while? Yes, but which cultural experience was most beautiful in England? The tour on Anfield Road where the tour leader from the height condescending did about that little blue stadium in the distance? The fact that you were far away on the third ring of Old Trafford between the selfie-making Americans who went home during the rest? No. The most beautiful cultural experience that I would like to share on that questionnaire is without a doubt Stockport County against Darlington FC.

I quickly became friends with someone from the university who came from the area of ​​Darlington and he proposed to visit the out-market of Stockport County the coming weekend. Stockport, just outside of Manchester, has a bit of a sad look on a rainy Saturday afternoon. Exactly as it should be. Here no hordes of tourists rush to the stadium, but rooms that come to encourage their club. On internet forums, Darlington fans chose a pub where they would gather before and after the game. The name: 'Ye Old Vic'. A pub with a fireplace, lit by a man who in my eyes had been retiring for a long time, but still cheerfully tapped the beers. We arrived at the pub around 1 o'clock, the race started (as it should be in England) at 3 o'clock, just like the other game in this competition. In the Conference National League North you do not have any Friday night or Monday night matches. Gradually the supporters come in who have traveled 114 miles (183 km) in just over two hours. Fortunately, the (probably equally old) woman of the pub boss jumped on and the beer tap remained open until about half past 3. The first supporters followed their way to Edgeley Park and we decided to join us in this row.

The supporters had their own entrance where you paid 'a tenner' (ten pounds) and you could continue your way to the pits. A cold Saturday afternoon at the end of January where you have ended up between football supporters who sit in the car for about four and a half hours to see their club play. What a great experience this was, and for no gold at that time I had been to United or City. The game started and it soon turned out that Darlington would have a difficult afternoon, Stockport took the initiative and quickly reached 1-0. The scolding on the referee started from the outing and as a joke one of the supporters asked what you say to an official in Dutch if you do not agree with him. The following minutes I heard the joker with a typical northern accent called 'hondelul' to the referee. Not neat, but I can not imagine anyone understanding anything. A lot of reason to swear at the referee was no longer there, because after a cheap free kick, Darlington managed to get the same score. The goalkeeper was certainly not open, but the hard cheer in the profession where I stood was no less. Soon I learned some interesting facts about Darlington. The supporters around me reacted very angry when the announcer announced a change on the side of 'Darlington 1883'. The forced name change from FC to 1883 was not yet accepted and fortunately for the fans in the name now recovered to Darlington FC. Twice came after Stockport took the lead, but in the 86th minute Darlington managed to score the 3-3. This was no longer a cheer, but an explosion. Wonderful to experience how people around you can become so crazy about that liberating equalizer. Stockport managed to hit the bottom of the crossbar in the 90th minute, but it remained at a draw.

After the game we decided to go to 'Ye Old Vic', before we would go back to Manchester. In the meantime it had become dark and the streets were wet with rain. The pub slowly drained and this football afternoon came to an end. In the time that would follow I visited United, City and Everton as big clubs. In the National North competition I went to FC United or Manchester and Salford City FC. It was nice to be at the Manchester City - As Monaco match for the Champions League, but my best cultural experience really took place on the 21st of January. Stockport County against Darlington FC on a rainy Saturday afternoon. A late equalizer. Nothing goes above.
Thought some people on here might enjoy the read.

JamesDarlo

Re: Dutch Article on experiencing a Darlington FC match

Post by JamesDarlo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:01 pm

Also, 'hondelul' literally meaning dog cock, popular word to insult referees in the Netherlands haha.

magic1

Post by magic1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:49 pm

that's class, enjoyed reading. Sure he'll learn a few more words when Martin Gray comes to town

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:02 pm

hondelul... it sounds so innocent too. The referee's a dog cock... it might just catch on in The Tinshed :D

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:45 pm

JamesDarlo wrote:So I'm a student in Manchester at the moment, and last year I made a friend who was on exchange from Rotterdam for 6 months. On the weekend of meeting, the Stockport away fixture was coming up and I invited him to come along. I'm sure anyone who was there will remember the fixture well, 3-3 thriller and that.

Recently he's organised to come and visit the North-East to come and see us in our fixture against York, he's also bringing a friend who writes for a Dutch magazine about ground hopping around the world, so he's coming to see what we're about at Blackwell. After talking a bit, he showed me an article he wrote about his day at Stockport I never knew existed, so thought I'd share.

Keep in mind this article has been put through Google translate so the grammar will be a little bit off, but thought it would be fun to share.
Question 12 A: What cultural experience do you want to share or would you recommend someone who is also going to study in the city where you lived?

This question was presented to me for the evaluation of my study in England. If you have lived in Manchester for three months, you would expect a response to this question as the visit to 'the Printworks' or the fact that you went to see Albert Square. If you are talking about football then you have certainly also looked at United or City for a while? Yes, but which cultural experience was most beautiful in England? The tour on Anfield Road where the tour leader from the height condescending did about that little blue stadium in the distance? The fact that you were far away on the third ring of Old Trafford between the selfie-making Americans who went home during the rest? No. The most beautiful cultural experience that I would like to share on that questionnaire is without a doubt Stockport County against Darlington FC.

I quickly became friends with someone from the university who came from the area of ​​Darlington and he proposed to visit the out-market of Stockport County the coming weekend. Stockport, just outside of Manchester, has a bit of a sad look on a rainy Saturday afternoon. Exactly as it should be. Here no hordes of tourists rush to the stadium, but rooms that come to encourage their club. On internet forums, Darlington fans chose a pub where they would gather before and after the game. The name: 'Ye Old Vic'. A pub with a fireplace, lit by a man who in my eyes had been retiring for a long time, but still cheerfully tapped the beers. We arrived at the pub around 1 o'clock, the race started (as it should be in England) at 3 o'clock, just like the other game in this competition. In the Conference National League North you do not have any Friday night or Monday night matches. Gradually the supporters come in who have traveled 114 miles (183 km) in just over two hours. Fortunately, the (probably equally old) woman of the pub boss jumped on and the beer tap remained open until about half past 3. The first supporters followed their way to Edgeley Park and we decided to join us in this row.

The supporters had their own entrance where you paid 'a tenner' (ten pounds) and you could continue your way to the pits. A cold Saturday afternoon at the end of January where you have ended up between football supporters who sit in the car for about four and a half hours to see their club play. What a great experience this was, and for no gold at that time I had been to United or City. The game started and it soon turned out that Darlington would have a difficult afternoon, Stockport took the initiative and quickly reached 1-0. The scolding on the referee started from the outing and as a joke one of the supporters asked what you say to an official in Dutch if you do not agree with him. The following minutes I heard the joker with a typical northern accent called 'hondelul' to the referee. Not neat, but I can not imagine anyone understanding anything. A lot of reason to swear at the referee was no longer there, because after a cheap free kick, Darlington managed to get the same score. The goalkeeper was certainly not open, but the hard cheer in the profession where I stood was no less. Soon I learned some interesting facts about Darlington. The supporters around me reacted very angry when the announcer announced a change on the side of 'Darlington 1883'. The forced name change from FC to 1883 was not yet accepted and fortunately for the fans in the name now recovered to Darlington FC. Twice came after Stockport took the lead, but in the 86th minute Darlington managed to score the 3-3. This was no longer a cheer, but an explosion. Wonderful to experience how people around you can become so crazy about that liberating equalizer. Stockport managed to hit the bottom of the crossbar in the 90th minute, but it remained at a draw.

After the game we decided to go to 'Ye Old Vic', before we would go back to Manchester. In the meantime it had become dark and the streets were wet with rain. The pub slowly drained and this football afternoon came to an end. In the time that would follow I visited United, City and Everton as big clubs. In the National North competition I went to FC United or Manchester and Salford City FC. It was nice to be at the Manchester City - As Monaco match for the Champions League, but my best cultural experience really took place on the 21st of January. Stockport County against Darlington FC on a rainy Saturday afternoon. A late equalizer. Nothing goes above.
Great read and very true.

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:48 am

Glad to see some others enjoyed the read! Was one of my favourite memories as a Darlington fan that day, strange as it wasn't a fixture of huge importance.

Hope it's a similar experience this season.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 am

That was a cracking game and we came away feeling happy with the result. Like us, they're far from the football league. Hard to believe they once paid £800,000 for a player!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:16 am

Great enthusiasm in that report, he certainly picked a great game to watch.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:13 am

JamesDarlo wrote:Glad to see some others enjoyed the read! Was one of my favourite memories as a Darlington fan that day, strange as it wasn't a fixture of huge importance.

Absolute fantastic scenes when Beck headed in that equaliser.

We robbed a point that day.

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:47 pm

AndyPark wrote:
JamesDarlo wrote:Glad to see some others enjoyed the read! Was one of my favourite memories as a Darlington fan that day, strange as it wasn't a fixture of huge importance.

Absolute fantastic scenes when Beck headed in that equaliser.

We robbed a point that day.
Not much more satisfying than stealing a point when you don't really deserve one

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:46 am

JamesDarlo wrote:Also, 'hondelul' literally meaning dog cock, popular word to insult referees in the Netherlands haha.
Really enjoyed the article, but we will need another bit of Dutch if we have a female referee.
TBH the female refs we have had were often better than many of the egotistic, myopic male officials we have had in the past! :thumbup:

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:27 pm

JamesDarlo wrote:So I'm a student in Manchester at the moment, and last year I made a friend who was on exchange from Rotterdam for 6 months. On the weekend of meeting, the Stockport away fixture was coming up and I invited him to come along. I'm sure anyone who was there will remember the fixture well, 3-3 thriller and that.

Ain't that the truth! The spirit of DAFTS lives on.

There's a regular Norwegian Ground Hopper who sticks to touring between UK lower league and non-league games in his holidays. Met him at Exeter-Darlo and again at Stroemsegodset-Villa.