Sports Village

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo-and-Back
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sports Village

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:28 pm

quakerste wrote:If we were to move from Blackwell Meadows the rugby club's long term future would be in doubt. They need us as much as we need them, it's time both parties sorted this out to preserve the future of the rugby and football club.

This is bang on. Better to be hooked up with an amateur rugby club than either a property developer or a professional rugby club who are burning up cash. The situation at BM is so similar to what existed at Feethams for so many year with the cricket club. We have fallen on our feet at BM, just need to work at it. Behind the Tinshed are the best grass pitches in the town, with space..... the potential is there.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Darlo-and-Back wrote:
quakerste wrote:If we were to move from Blackwell Meadows the rugby club's long term future would be in doubt. They need us as much as we need them, it's time both parties sorted this out to preserve the future of the rugby and football club.

This is bang on. Better to be hooked up with an amateur rugby club than either a property developer or a professional rugby club who are burning up cash. The situation at BM is so similar to what existed at Feethams for so many year with the cricket club. We have fallen on our feet at BM, just need to work at it. Behind the Tinshed are the best grass pitches in the town, with space..... the potential is there.
However the deal is very restrictive and not very good for DFC in regards to raising further revenues, so the board must look around for at other options that may become available.

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:50 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
spen666 wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:
divas wrote:
Magical Quakers wrote:Am I right in saying that the Rugby club own the land at BM?

I know if we leave now we would be liable to pay back any grants.

What happens if our landlords move (to a new sports hub) and sell the land from under us? If we moved with them would we still be liable?
I believe grants would have to be repaid if football is no longer played on the site.
What's the timeframe? As in how long do we have to stay there before we up and leave and not have to pay them back.

Not a simple question to answer as it seems to depend on the type of grant awarded ie what the purpose was ie asset purchase or capital expenditure, but the basic periods seem to be

Grant offered Clawback Period
£150,001 and over- 21 years
£0 - £150,000 - 10 years

Date when right to repayment
(clawback) arose
Repayment amount as a percentage of
the total Grant
0 to 10th year of the Clawback Period 100%
11th year of the Clawback Period 90%
12th year of the Clawback Period 80%
13th year of the Clawback Period 70%
14th year of the Clawback Period 60%
15th year of the Clawback Period 50%
16th year of the Clawback Period 40%
17th year of the Clawback Period 30%
18th year of the Clawback Period 20%
19th year of the Clawback Period 10%
20th year of the Clawback Period 10%
21st year of the Clawback Period 10%

Figures from the FSIF document FSIF Terms & Conditions
How much have we had in total?
According to a DFC Director as long as there is football played on the first team pitch and that could be Darlington Bulls FC then no money is paid back over the ten years.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Personally, i hope if the council do go for a sporting village, they put it at Blackwell. It's a much better location than the Arena.

As an aside, if we're going to build a separate clubhouse and 3G pitch on site, I wonder if long term that could form part of a separate stadium, and we could move the tinshed and seated stand to another site at Blackwell which is not restricted by the pipe. It'd probably escape any burden of having to pay back grants as we'd still be at Blackwell Meadows, and maybe even improve the relationship with the Rugby club. Of course it'd require a lot of money, so if the council were to approve a Sports village, i'd hope they'd go for sustainable Blackwell, and to hell with the Arena.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:33 pm

*oops - double post*
Last edited by H1987 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:00 pm

H1987 wrote:Personally, i hope if the council do go for a sporting village, they put it at Blackwell. It's a much better location than the Arena.

As an aside, if we're going to build a separate clubhouse and 3G pitch on site, I wonder if long term that could form part of a separate stadium, and we could move the tinshed and seated stand to another site at Blackwell which is not restricted by the pipe. It'd probably escape any burden of having to pay back grants as we'd still be at Blackwell Meadows, and maybe even improve the relationship with the Rugby club. Of course it'd require a lot of money, so if the council were to approve a Sports village, i'd hope they'd go for sustainable Blackwell, and to hell with the Arena.
Question why do you post twice the same reply??

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Whatever happens with the Sports Village, its going to be years in the future. Good that we are poking our noses in and making sure that we should be involved. Its got to incorporate as many stakeholders as possible for it to be viable i.e. Football, Rugby, Athletics, health and Fitness etc etc.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Should we be involved in any move to a new Sports Village centred around the Arena site, it must be on the basis of having our financial destiny in our hands - ie, not another landlord / tenant or owner / leasing agreement. Otherwise we just swap one poor self-funding model for another.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:27 pm

QuakerPete wrote:Should we be involved in any move to a new Sports Village centred around the Arena site, it must be on the basis of having our financial destiny in our hands - ie, not another landlord / tenant or owner / leasing agreement. Otherwise we just swap one poor self-funding model for another.
I don't think there is any way of avoiding the above situation, it's guaranteed that we if we move in under Mowden/DBC we will be tenants.

However there is no point in banging on about something doesn't exist, we're not going to be leaving BM any time soon.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

tezza

Post by tezza » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:36 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Whatever happens with the Sports Village, its going to be years in the future. Good that we are poking our noses in and making sure that we should be involved. Its got to incorporate as many stakeholders as possible for it to be viable i.e. Football, Rugby, Athletics, health and Fitness etc etc.
Sounds strangely like Eastbourne !!! ....

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:02 pm

QuakerPete wrote:Should we be involved in any move to a new Sports Village centred around the Arena site, it must be on the basis of having our financial destiny in our hands - ie, not another landlord / tenant or owner / leasing agreement. Otherwise we just swap one poor self-funding model for another.
We currently have a licence to play not a leasing agreement. I'd kill for a ground we could lease and manage as we wanted. It'd give us half a chance to progress.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:31 pm

m62exile wrote:
We currently have a licence to play not a leasing agreement. I'd kill for a ground we could lease and manage as we wanted. It'd give us half a chance to progress.
I, of course, did mean a licence in my original post

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:20 pm

QuakerPete wrote:
m62exile wrote:
I, of course, did mean a licence in my original post
No probs!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:35 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
H1987 wrote:Personally, i hope if the council do go for a sporting village, they put it at Blackwell. It's a much better location than the Arena.

Sign of getting old, repeating yourself isn't it?

Nah, no idea what happened there. Wasn't intentional like.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:45 pm

H1987 wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Sign of getting old, repeating yourself isn't it?

Nah, no idea what happened there. Wasn't intentional like.
Totally agreeImage

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:04 am

To be honest that would be perfect... and probably much more likely... the RFC don't own the pitches behind...

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:41 pm

I am interested in the proposals for a sport village, and was wondering if it would end up being something like what Sir John Hall wanted when he was Chairman of Newcastle...I think he wanted a multi sport club under 1 banner when he bought the Falcons and sure he had the Ice Hockey and Basketball Team at one point, he claimed to have got the idea from multi-sport institutions like Barcelona.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:36 am

murtonquaker wrote:I am interested in the proposals for a sport village, and was wondering if it would end up being something like what Sir John Hall wanted when he was Chairman of Newcastle...I think he wanted a multi sport club under 1 banner when he bought the Falcons and sure he had the Ice Hockey and Basketball Team at one point, he claimed to have got the idea from multi-sport institutions like Barcelona.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
That was his aim but if a multi multi millionaire owner of the biggest clubs to potentially form that partnership can’t make it work I’d imagine we’d be heading up the steepest of inclines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!