Sports Village

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo-and-Back
Team Supported: Darlington

Sports Village

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:02 pm

We’ve spend a small fortune developing BM into a National League ground, nearly. Yet we are not committed further depending on the councils view on a development at the Arena. Tell you what, the board needs to give it’s head a bloody good shake on that one.

m62exile

Re: Sports Village

Post by m62exile » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:37 pm

Situations change. I’ve the opposite view, it would be careless to pump more money in to BM until the board have been able to properly evaluate any opportunities that *might* offer a better future for the club.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:46 pm

m62exile wrote:Situations change. I’ve the opposite view, it would be careless to pump more money in to BM until the board have been able to properly evaluate any opportunities that *might* offer a better future for the club.
Agree, everyone wanted to come back to Darlo and the only option was BM at the time, we took that opportunity. The money raised was largely 5 year season tickets and Community Shares, so generally everyone gets to use the 5 year tickets and those who want will largely get the money back from the shares in the long term.

If another opportunity came about that somehow offered us something better then the board would not be doing their job if they didn't investigate that opportunity.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:47 pm

Darlo-and-Back wrote:We’ve spend a small fortune developing BM into a National League ground, nearly. Yet we are not committed further depending on the councils view on a development at the Arena. Tell you what, the board needs to give it’s head a bloody good shake on that one.
It's an outline proposal only, it has months to run before any in-depth discussions would take place. I would say the board should discuss anything which may affect the club in the future, irrespective of what's gone before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:50 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
m62exile wrote:Situations change. I’ve the opposite view, it would be careless to pump more money in to BM until the board have been able to properly evaluate any opportunities that *might* offer a better future for the club.
Agree, everyone wanted to come back to Darlo and the only option was BM at the time, we took that opportunity. The money raised was largely 5 year season tickets and Community Shares, so generally everyone gets to use the 5 year tickets and those who want will largely get the money back from the shares in the long term.

If another opportunity came about that somehow offered us something better then the board would not be doing their job if they didn't investigate that opportunity.
Agreed too

What we've spent so far at BM is likely to be a small fraction of what would be needed to get BM to something resembling a decent football ground. Now is not a bad time to assess and see about other potential options which may have arisen in recent times.

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:12 pm

If we are happy to stay at this level then BM is fine however if we are ambitious and want to return to the league then BM will imo just be to expensive to develop & £1.5m + just to relocate the water pipe. If the Sports Village could work if there are several parties involved in the cost of running the Arena and we as a club could maximise commercial opportunities.

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:19 pm

The original plan indicated sharing the pitch initially and then developing our own, while that was supposed to be at BM I'd be more than happy for it to be elsewhere.

We need somewhere we can get income on more than just match days, so well done to the club for looking further than the end of their noses.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Totally agree once the seating is in we don’t have to spend anymore money on development until we know where our long term future lies.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:30 pm

Totally agree m62.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:30 pm

The club mentions getting ringfenced money for a 'clubhouse'. Was any more mentioned about this?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:33 pm

DarloDave40 wrote:
Totally agree once the seating is in we don’t have to spend anymore money on development until we know where our long term future lies.
The statement also mentions about evaluating the council's commitment to BM. There is, I guess, the possibility of a Sports Village at more than one venue, the Arena and BM. Someone mentioned that the council own some of the land there.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:18 am

The talk of a Sports Village may also help in any negotiations with the rugby club, as they may realise that we may have another potential option.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:53 am

If we were to move from Blackwell Meadows the rugby club's long term future would be in doubt. They need us as much as we need them, it's time both parties sorted this out to preserve the future of the rugby and football club.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:09 am

TBF the Sports Village was not on the radar when we were looking to move back to town. & BM the best option at the time. In the short term, it is probably the safest thing to bring BM up to league standard so that the disaster of not being allowed to participate in the playoffs for promotion is not repeated. Admittedly this is highly improbable this season, but with DFC you just never know.

Now is a good time to show interest in the proposed Sports village and not invest anything more than the minimum on BM until every option has been explored and the fan owners given the chance to express their preferences. Ideally, it would be a 5000 capacity ground, incorporating a 4g training pitch and clubhouse of our own so we are in charge of our own finances and destiny.

In reality, we can only afford to be a tenant and share some if the facilities, also once our outstanding grants have been discharged and leases expired. Compromise and diplomacy are required, so good to know the Board & DFCSG have our best interests at heart.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:19 am

Won't DRFC also be part of the sporting village? Maybe we could both up sticks and move to the Arena lol
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:15 am

MikeinBlack2 wrote:Won't DRFC also be part of the sporting village? Maybe we could both up sticks and move to the Arena lol
Then flog BM to Raj and he can build houses on it.

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:57 am

What is the proposal for the Sports Village? Is there anything online about what the proposals are?

If we upped and left BM would it be us sharing the arena with DMPRFC or would a smaller stadium be built for our needs adjacent to the Arena with us and possibly DRFC in mind?

And would be partners in a Sporting Village or just tenants?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:01 pm

murtonquaker wrote:What is the proposal for the Sports Village? Is there anything online about what the proposals are?

If we upped and left BM would it be us sharing the arena with DMPRFC or would a smaller stadium be built for our needs adjacent to the Arena with us and possibly DRFC in mind?

And would be partners in a Sporting Village or just tenants?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You are way ahead of events thus far..There is very little known at this time.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:50 pm

Darlo-and-Back wrote:We’ve spend a small fortune developing BM into a National League ground, nearly. Yet we are not committed further depending on the councils view on a development at the Arena. Tell you what, the board needs to give it’s head a bloody good shake on that one.
Couldn't disagree more.

Perhaps you could give your opinion on what should happen?

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Am I right in saying that the Rugby club own the land at BM?

I know if we leave now we would be liable to pay back any grants.

What happens if our landlords move (to a new sports hub) and sell the land from under us? If we moved with them would we still be liable?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:47 pm

norwich darlo wrote:
MikeinBlack2 wrote:Won't DRFC also be part of the sporting village? Maybe we could both up sticks and move to the Arena lol
Then flog BM to Raj and he can build houses on it.
It's an interesting thought to be honest. Move everything to one location, all three clubs and the council pooling resources.

Of course, whether DRFC want to sell their home for such a move is far from a certainty.

We're all forgetting one thing though about any move back to the Arena, and that is the horrifying memory of the women and children freezing to death on Neasham Road as a bus drives past them and sprays them from a big puddle.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:48 pm

Magical Quakers wrote:Am I right in saying that the Rugby club own the land at BM?

What happens if our landlords move (to a new sports hub) and sell the land from under us? If we moved with them would we still be liable?
If we took the stands with us would we still be liable?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

divas

Post by divas » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:49 pm

Magical Quakers wrote:Am I right in saying that the Rugby club own the land at BM?

I believe grants would have to be repaid if football is no longer played on the site.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:17 pm

divas wrote:

I believe grants would have to be repaid if football is no longer played on the site.
What's the timeframe? As in how long do we have to stay there before we up and leave and not have to pay them back.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
DarloDave40 wrote:
The statement also mentions about evaluating the council's commitment to BM. There is, I guess, the possibility of a Sports Village at more than one venue, the Arena and BM. Someone mentioned that the council own some of the land there.
Which is effectively two sports villages... there isnt enough scope for both, Johnson said that on Monday night, Darlington isn't.a big enough town...

Don't we already have a bit of a sports village at Eastbourne? Athletics, football, 3g pitches, a gym... I guess that land would go for housing as well and help fund one big one at the Arena... that's also worth noting, that if this was to be done correctly it would pull together different parties, ourselves, DRFC, Mowden, the athletics club and the available land at BM and Eastbourne could be used to funding.... there are so many opportunities with the uni, the college, private stakeholders, I've been.saying this for years and we're seeing it happen in places like Scarborough...

divas

Post by divas » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:24 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
divas wrote:

What's the timeframe? As in how long do we have to stay there before we up and leave and not have to pay them back.
Not exactly sure but it's a good number of years - maybe one for the Netcafe

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:42 pm

divas wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:
divas wrote:

Not exactly sure but it's a good number of years - maybe one for the Netcafe
Yeah good point... I'll email it in later.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:15 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
divas wrote:

Not a simple question to answer as it seems to depend on the type of grant awarded ie what the purpose was ie asset purchase or capital expenditure, but the basic periods seem to be

Grant offered Clawback Period
£150,001 and over- 21 years
£0 - £150,000 - 10 years

Date when right to repayment
(clawback) arose
Repayment amount as a percentage of
the total Grant
0 to 10th year of the Clawback Period 100%
11th year of the Clawback Period 90%
12th year of the Clawback Period 80%
13th year of the Clawback Period 70%
14th year of the Clawback Period 60%
15th year of the Clawback Period 50%
16th year of the Clawback Period 40%
17th year of the Clawback Period 30%
18th year of the Clawback Period 20%
19th year of the Clawback Period 10%
20th year of the Clawback Period 10%
21st year of the Clawback Period 10%

Figures from the FSIF document FSIF Terms & Conditions

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:33 pm

Historically there has been bad feelings between DMP & Darlington Rugby Club. I couldn't see them agreeing or even entertaining the prospect of moving to DMP.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:37 pm

spen666 wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:
divas wrote:

Not a simple question to answer as it seems to depend on the type of grant awarded ie what the purpose was ie asset purchase or capital expenditure, but the basic periods seem to be

Grant offered Clawback Period
£150,001 and over- 21 years
£0 - £150,000 - 10 years

Date when right to repayment
(clawback) arose
Repayment amount as a percentage of
the total Grant
0 to 10th year of the Clawback Period 100%
11th year of the Clawback Period 90%
12th year of the Clawback Period 80%
13th year of the Clawback Period 70%
14th year of the Clawback Period 60%