Gloucester (A)

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Gloucester (A)

Post by JE93 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:23 pm

Well, after what feels like a while without a game (not sure if that's a good or bad thing these days) it's likely we'll get back to playing on Saturday away to Gloucester. Our opponents winning in midweek means we slip to 23rd in the league, but defeats for Kings Lynn and Peterborough Sports meant those above us haven't pulled away any further. Irrespective of other results, we really need 6 points from the next 2 games to put is back in touch with the likes of Peterborough and Rushall going into the Boxing day and new years double headers with Scarborough. Other may disagree, but I saw plenty in the Warrington and Rushall performances that was positive, but again, individual errors have cost us 4 points in those two games, and its points that we need to get back in touch with the pack above.

Having had 2 weeks without a game and our opponents having played in midweek, you'd hope that we can put our fresh legs to good use and make a fast start against our hosts. Rushall away at Scarborough and Peterborough away at South Shields will hopefully deliver two home wins to stop the teams above us making any further ground. Can't say I know much about Gloucester and how they play, or if there has been any meaningful change in style following Flowers being relieved of his managerial duties.

As for Darlo team, personally I'd start Asante on Saturday. Not expecting him to be able to play a full 90, especially on a 4G pitch, but having that focal point in the box from the start will hopefully give us a bit of cutting edge. We created more than enough chances against Warrington and Rushall to win the game but lacked the cutting edge to put them away. Don't expect Lawlor to be fit so Lees and Sukar continue in the centre of defence, goes without saying but clean sheets are as important as anything atm, having got ourselves in front twice in the last two only to have to settle for a point. I was struggling to decide between Moke and Platt in midfield, thought Warrington was Moke's best performance in a Darlo shirt, but edged for a bit of solidity away from home and went for Platt. Asante in the middle gives Griffiths, Hedley, Salkeld and Rivers something to aim for when crossing the ball with Hatfield in and around the box for the scraps.

------------------ Taylor ---------------
Griffiths --- Lees - Sukar --- Hedley
------------- Platt - Lindley ---------
Salkeld ------- Hatfield ------ Rivers
----------------- Asante --------------

Subs: Rowe, Liddle, Moke, Ngandu, (+one of the two new signings, can't say I know much about either).

Quakerlad

Re: Gloucester (A)

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:57 pm

JE93 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:23 pm
Well, after what feels like a while without a game (not sure if that's a good or bad thing these days) it's likely we'll get back to playing on Saturday away to Gloucester. Our opponents winning in midweek means we slip to 23rd in the league, but defeats for Kings Lynn and Peterborough Sports meant those above us haven't pulled away any further. Irrespective of other results, we really need 6 points from the next 2 games to put is back in touch with the likes of Peterborough and Rushall going into the Boxing day and new years double headers with Scarborough. Other may disagree, but I saw plenty in the Warrington and Rushall performances that was positive, but again, individual errors have cost us 4 points in those two games, and its points that we need to get back in touch with the pack above.

Having had 2 weeks without a game and our opponents having played in midweek, you'd hope that we can put our fresh legs to good use and make a fast start against our hosts. Rushall away at Scarborough and Peterborough away at South Shields will hopefully deliver two home wins to stop the teams above us making any further ground. Can't say I know much about Gloucester and how they play, or if there has been any meaningful change in style following Flowers being relieved of his managerial duties.

As for Darlo team, personally I'd start Asante on Saturday. Not expecting him to be able to play a full 90, especially on a 4G pitch, but having that focal point in the box from the start will hopefully give us a bit of cutting edge. We created more than enough chances against Warrington and Rushall to win the game but lacked the cutting edge to put them away. Don't expect Lawlor to be fit so Lees and Sukar continue in the centre of defence, goes without saying but clean sheets are as important as anything atm, having got ourselves in front twice in the last two only to have to settle for a point. I was struggling to decide between Moke and Platt in midfield, thought Warrington was Moke's best performance in a Darlo shirt, but edged for a bit of solidity away from home and went for Platt. Asante in the middle gives Griffiths, Hedley, Salkeld and Rivers something to aim for when crossing the ball with Hatfield in and around the box for the scraps.

------------------ Taylor ---------------
Griffiths --- Lees - Sukar --- Hedley
------------- Platt - Lindley ---------
Salkeld ------- Hatfield ------ Rivers
----------------- Asante --------------

Subs: Rowe, Liddle, Moke, Ngandu, (+one of the two new signings, can't say I know much about either).
Pretty much agree with that team and bench looks stronger.

Mind you, see no point in signing two youngsters again if they are not at the level to immediately affect the team. Given , Moke, Liddle and Ngandu on the bench in your team above do we really need another untried 18 yr old midfielder. His signings mystify me.

Agree, need a good average return of points from next 4 games with no excuses given the long break to work with the players. His team now and needs to produce.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:07 pm

I think we'll struggle to get anything out of the game and not just because of ring rustiness. Gloucester play on a plastic carpet which clearly gives them a big advantage when you see that 14 of their total of 17 points so far this season have come on plaggy home turf.

We, on the other hand, are s*** on plastic as witnessed by Buxton 5 Darlo 0 and Tamworth 4 Darlo 0. Gloucester have won their last 2 home league games and they'll see this as a great opportunity to give themselves a realistic chance of clawing their way out of trouble. As we now know, we'll almost certainly need to score more than one goal to take all three points. And scoring has not been a strong point (nor defending come to think of it).

Usual applies, ie that I hope the lads show me up to be talking out of my arse.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:17 pm

I'd settle for 0-0, I really would.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:28 pm

A point won't do - we really have to win this one, a six pointer if ever there was one. Think about the Farsley game, Darlo can do it here as well but we'll need at least two goals. Is this newbie finally fit - if he scores and we win we might just claw something together over Christmas? The alternative doesn't bear thinking about - we must get a win, and I think we can. :wave: :thumbup:

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:37 pm

A defeat is not acceptable. We need to start making ground on the rest and the longer we go on as we are the harder it will be.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:50 pm

MikeinBlack2 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:17 pm
Definitely not.Its now s*** or bust time to get out of this mess .We’ve got to have wins to catch up.I’ll settle for 0-0s when we’re safe.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:54 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:50 pm
MikeinBlack2 wrote:
Definitely not.Its now s*** or bust time to get out of this mess .We’ve got to have wins to catch up.I’ll settle for 0-0s when we’re safe.
Six points out of the next two games minimum otherwise may as well go down with Gloucester and Bishop Stortford. No ifs or buts

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:02 pm

Emdubya wrote:
MikeinBlack2 wrote:
I mean it isn’t it’s December but two very important games nevertheless. Four points would be a very good return and a clear indication of improvement.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:22 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:07 pm
I think we'll struggle to get anything out of the game and not just because of ring rustiness. Gloucester play on a plastic carpet which clearly gives them a big advantage when you see that 14 of their total of 17 points so far this season have come on plaggy home turf.

We, on the other hand, are s*** on plastic as witnessed by Buxton 5 Darlo 0 and Tamworth 4 Darlo 0. Gloucester have won their last 2 home league games and they'll see this as a great opportunity to give themselves a realistic chance of clawing their way out of trouble. As we now know, we'll almost certainly need to score more than one goal to take all three points. And scoring has not been a strong point (nor defending come to think of it).

We were certainly s*** last year on Gloucester's plaggy home turf and only just won 6-2.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:34 pm

banktopp wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:22 pm
LoidLucan wrote:

We were certainly s*** last year on Gloucester's plaggy home turf and only just won 6-2.
Yes but that won't be happening this year will it, apart from the conceding 2 (at least) bit.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:40 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:54 pm
Emdubya wrote:
MikeinBlack2 wrote:
Six points out of the next two games minimum otherwise may as well go down with Gloucester and Bishop Stortford. No ifs or buts
So maximum is the new minimum 😀
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:58 pm

banktopp wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:

Unfortunately this time we won't have the likes of Lambert, Dodds, Beck, Felix and Hazel in the squad, on song and taking us to the top of the league.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:28 pm

As I've said before, I have no confidence in this manager or group of players to get us out of this so it's over to them, hopefully they'll make me eat my words.

Realistically we need to win the next two, but Gloucester have won their last four in all competitions at home. I said before we played Farsley last month that the next ten games could have a bearing on our fate this season and the next two are certainly crucial, we could either find ourselves within touching distance of safety or cut adrift with a tough run of games coming up in January and February so fine are the margins at the moment.

I also don't think there's any correlation between the results at Buxton and Tamworth because they were played on a plastic pitch! I think it was more to do with us being utter sh*te, case in point Chorley bagged eight and they were playing on grass. Also, unlike last year, this time around we won't have the likes of Mark Beck, Jack Lambert and Dan Dodds right now I'd be happy to scrape a 1-0.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:15 pm

We know we need to score at least twice...just hope we can do it!

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:06 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:58 pm
banktopp wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:

Unfortunately this time we won't have the likes of Lambert, Dodds, Beck, Felix and Hazel in the squad, on song and taking us to the top of the league.
It was tongue in cheek and to be fair it was the best game i've seen for ages. What a difference a year makes.
Still think we can sneak a win though.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:04 pm

I decided to go to this game, as desperately need to see a game, hope the players can prove they are up for the fight or it will be a long quiet road back, and to be honest another bottom team we can't beat, so season becomes more difficult. Fingers crossed.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:23 am

Just listened to Danny Rose's interview there, says both the management & the players themselves have contributed towards the travel costs to stay over there tonight.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:40 am

AndyPark wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:23 am
Just listened to Danny Rose's interview there, says both the management & the players themselves have contributed towards the travel costs to stay over there tonight.
Like the sound of that and good on the players to contribute, show’s commitment to the cause for sure.

Still find it really frustrating how we can sign two players and have no mention of them whatsoever in interviews. Surely that’s fairly obvious communication skills in understanding that us fans have an interest in things like that. Don’t want finite details but things like, what do they bring, where do they play, why bring them in, etc etc is very basic to me and always used to happen.

Prep for this game could not have been better, over to the players now.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:55 am

Quakerlad wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
Like the sound of that and good on the players to contribute, show’s commitment to the cause for sure.

Still find it really frustrating how we can sign two players and have no mention of them whatsoever in interviews. Surely that’s fairly obvious communication skills in understanding that us fans have an interest in things like that. Don’t want finite details but things like, what do they bring, where do they play, why bring them in, etc etc is very basic to me and always used to happen.

Prep for this game could not have been better, over to the players now.
The 2 latest signings have to make us stronger or what's the point in bringing young lads in just to warm the bench.Time is very much against us and I hope JG has finally made a couple of signings that have some impact on the pitch but we will soon find out.

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:31 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:40 am
AndyPark wrote:
Or its a case of help pay towards it or you go down on the day of the game instead.
If I send my staff to work away from home I don't expect them to pay for any of it.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:29 pm

loan_star wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:31 pm
Quakerlad wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
Or its a case of help pay towards it or you go down on the day of the game instead.
If I send my staff to work away from home I don't expect them to pay for any of it.
Might have known one one of the resident whiners on here would find a problem with it.Get a life FFS.
Well done to the players and staff I say :thumbup:

DavidCurriesMullet

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:50 pm

loan_star wrote:
Quakerlad wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
Haha, first time i've heard playng an away match as "working" away from home! And so what if we said we are travelling down and back on the day as finances dictate that, unless you want to subsidise an overnight stay? Bit different if they were being told to stay a week and fit a shop out.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:59 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Good news story. :thumbup:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:02 pm

I see we've signed a young lad on an emergency loan as 2 players are out with a virus. The article doesn't say who is missing, though. Answers on a postcard.

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/quakers ... OYI9_H4Kuw
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:13 pm

Lawman3 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:02 pm
I see we've signed a young lad on an emergency loan as 2 players are out with a virus. The article doesn't say who is missing, though. Answers on a postcard.

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/quakers ... OYI9_H4Kuw
You mean "missing" with the virus I assume? Lawlor not listed as injured which is good news.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:25 pm

excuses in early - there is a virus going round
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:38 pm

12 signings in 13 games

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:11 pm

loan_star wrote:
Quakerlad wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
Well yes.

The players have seemingly sacrificed some of their own money as they think it will better prepare them for the game - which seems a decent thing for them to do.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:26 pm

loan_star wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:38 pm
12 signings in 13 games
From what I saw in the first few games we needed to have a lot of changes
What we had at the start was not good enough, and I know a lot of them are still with us and playing but they must realise that their places are in danger if they don't buck up.