Clock's ticking for Spendy

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

wizardofos
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Clock's ticking for Spendy

Post by wizardofos » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:58 am

liddle_4_ever wrote:Genuine question for the Spennymoor fans. Stevie Wonder can see that you’ll not be sustainable at our current level never mind the level above. Is fundamentally changing the ground, by putting seats in the covered terrace, which will affect the feel of the whole place, worth a shot at possibly a season or two in the conference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If he's prepared to fund them over the line and into L2, then the whole picture changes with the TV money (close to £1m per annum I think). Hence there are sustainable League Clubs with lower crowds than ours.
That's the only plausible explanation for what Groves is doing. However there's plenty of other well funded Clubs in the Conference with the same plan.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:11 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:I see million-pound-plus bankroller Brad is now asking the fans to help fund the ground developments that they are racing to complete by March 31. They are putting in 503 seats in the stand behind the goal which will take the seated capacity of the ground to 753 and are increasing the capacity of the ground to more than 3,000 and then there are further plans to increase that to beyond 5,000 over the next 12 to 18 months.

Anyway Brad wants the fans to play their part and has set up a crowdfunding appeal to raise £10,000 by March 30. It has been going for a couple of weeks and stands at £400 from nine fans. Bucket collections running since October have also raised £1,136.54 from match days and events.
£10k must be just a token contribution, as the cost of the re-development should be a lot higher than that. Wish we only had to make contributions of £10k for our ground re-development.
10k is a ridiculously low figure for their seating and other ground development as Pete points out, 9 contributors so far just shows what a brilliant effort it has been for our club to fund 2 stands, the pitch and over 40k for happy jack's playing budget.No club in our league would have come even close to what we have achieved to getting back to Darlo and in this respect Spenny will NEVER match what we have done without a wealthy benefactor.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:34 pm

Mr_Pickle wrote:You all sound very jealous of Spennymoor I think...
Said no one ever :lol:

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:54 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:I see million-pound-plus bankroller Brad is now asking the fans to help fund the ground developments that they are racing to complete by March 31. They are putting in 503 seats in the stand behind the goal which will take the seated capacity of the ground to 753 and are increasing the capacity of the ground to more than 3,000 and then there are further plans to increase that to beyond 5,000 over the next 12 to 18 months.

Anyway Brad wants the fans to play their part and has set up a crowdfunding appeal to raise £10,000 by March 30. It has been going for a couple of weeks and stands at £400 from nine fans. Bucket collections running since October have also raised £1,136.54 from match days and events.
£10k must be just a token contribution, as the cost of the re-development should be a lot higher than that. Wish we only had to make contributions of £10k for our ground re-development.
10k is a ridiculously low figure for their seating and other ground development as Pete points out, 9 contributors so far just shows what a brilliant effort it has been for our club to fund 2 stands, the pitch and over 40k for happy jack's playing budget.No club in our league would have come even close to what we have achieved to getting back to Darlo and in this respect Spenny will NEVER match what we have done without a wealthy benefactor.

10k is just Brad trying to get a little something out of the Spennymoor Town fans towards the overall cost which will be high.

In fairness to Spenny fans I have heard plenty of Darlo voices say they want a rich owner who would pay for things. The problem you have if you want control of the club like Brad has and Raj wanted you take on responsibility for paying for everything.

The only reason Darlo fans raise so much is because we own the club, I guarantee if an individual owned the club and ran it how they wanted we would not have raised 250k+ since start of May 2017.

This is why if we had an investor who owned the club they couldn't come in and expect the same level of funding from the fans as it simply wouldn't happen.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:09 pm

Mr_Pickle wrote:
loan_star wrote:The best thing about Spennymoor is the road out.
Charming. What does this say about Darlington then? Moron
That Darlington has more going for it :lol:

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:19 pm

Mr_Pickle wrote:You all sound very jealous of Spennymoor I think...
I love spenymoor me.

Can Brad Groves lend me a tenner please? I've heard he's a generous chap.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:41 pm

Isn't it sad, trawling around on here, getting yourself in a right pickle. Why don't you go back to your own forum or do something productive to raise some money. It was a bit of banter, I despair.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:26 am

Nurse....can we give Mr Pickle another 50mls please? If the doesn’t work hit him with the elepahant gun like last time

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:18 am

Mr_Pickle wrote:Oh I am not from spennymoor. Just an outsider looking in. Thought hartlepool were your rivals anyway? And what's with calling them "Spendy" because they've got a good owner willing to put some money in a nice little club with some help from the fans? Nothing wrong with that. Good on em

Joking aside, best wishes for the season. I hope you can dodge relegation and get your ground sorted too
Striped Toga ?? :wave:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:19 pm

Good draw for them yesterday in the FA Trophy, at Conference side Bromley. I'm sure that as they are so well supported, they'll have a massive crowd for the replay!!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:55 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Good draw for them yesterday in the FA Trophy, at Conference side Bromley. I'm sure that as they are so well supported, they'll have a massive crowd for the replay!!

Spennymoor get a far larger % of their population to watch their team than Darlington do Pete.

2011 Census - population of Darlington 106,000 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borough_of_Darlington)
2011 Census - population of Spennymoor 20,000 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spennymoor)

Given the population of Darlington is around 5 times that of Spennymoor, then if Spennymoor are getting average gates of approximately 900 ( Source Football Web Pages), Darlington should be getting circa 4500 to be equivalent.

Or is Darlington are getting 1530 as a home average this season ( Football Web pages) then Spennymoor should only me getting circa 300 home gates to have same % of population watching them.

To be boasting that a town 5 times the size of Spennymoor are getting gates 60 % higher than Spennymoor is a bit like comparing the spending power of Manchester United and Darlington

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:09 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

10k is just Brad trying to get a little something out of the Spennymoor Town fans towards the overall cost which will be high.

In fairness to Spenny fans I have heard plenty of Darlo voices say they want a rich owner who would pay for things. The problem you have if you want control of the club like Brad has and Raj wanted you take on responsibility for paying for everything.

The only reason Darlo fans raise so much is because we own the club, I guarantee if an individual owned the club and ran it how they wanted we would not have raised 250k+ since start of May 2017.

This is why if we had an investor who owned the club they couldn't come in and expect the same level of funding from the fans as it simply wouldn't happen.
Raj never took responsibility for paying for everything - he spent what he wanted to spend and when it didn't work out claimed that it was the club, not him, that owed that money to the creditors.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:57 pm

spen666 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Good draw for them yesterday in the FA Trophy, at Conference side Bromley. I'm sure that as they are so well supported, they'll have a massive crowd for the replay!!

Spennymoor get a far larger % of their population to watch their team than Darlington do Pete.

2011 Census - population of Darlington 106,000 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borough_of_Darlington)
2011 Census - population of Spennymoor 20,000 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spennymoor)

Given the population of Darlington is around 5 times that of Spennymoor, then if Spennymoor are getting average gates of approximately 900 ( Source Football Web Pages), Darlington should be getting circa 4500 to be equivalent.

Or is Darlington are getting 1530 as a home average this season ( Football Web pages) then Spennymoor should only me getting circa 300 home gates to have same % of population watching them.

To be boasting that a town 5 times the size of Spennymoor are getting gates 60 % higher than Spennymoor is a bit like comparing the spending power of Manchester United and Darlington
Is Darlo_Pete boasting that we have a higher average attendance of 60% than Spennymoor, I can't see that in his post?

Clubs such as Darlington produce the following percentages of supporters/town population using the same sources as you have (Football Web Pages and Census 2001 or 2011).

Darlington - (circa 1.44%)
Stockport - (circa 1.19%)
York - (circa 1.40%)
Kidderminster - (circa 2.85%)
Boston - (circa 1.82%)

Using NLN clubs as an example, amazingly I can think of another bankrolled team kicking around the top 7 with a small town population.

Spennymoor - (circa 4.5%)
Brackley (circa 4.07%)

You've brought up this attendance/town population percentage post previously and I don't see the point? A club with a town population of 20,000 is bankrolled 3 promotions to the same level as a club with 100,000, both clubs therefore will play the exact same teams with very similar media-coverage - you'd expect there to be a higher percentage of fans with the smaller town. Great support, yes, but even with average attendances of 290 the percentage would still be higher for Spennymoor!

Fantastic post on Facebook too Spen, speculating financial trouble as a result of offering an early-bird season ticket deal. I'm amazed with your alternative personas on different social-media platforms.
Last edited by Quakers83 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:10 pm

Mr_Pickle wrote:For a town the size of Spennymoor, they get a fantastic following and took 199 all the way to Bromley yesterday. Unlike you lot, they aren't the ruins of a failed Football League club.

Focus on your own team and it's debts before knocking others
Ahah.Now the real stuff starts to come out .What happened to all the shite about “just someone who follows local non league “
New you wouldn’t resist for long :thumbup: .

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:17 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Mr_Pickle wrote:For a town the size of Spennymoor, they get a fantastic following and took 199 all the way to Bromley yesterday. Unlike you lot, they aren't the ruins of a failed Football League club.

Ahah.Now the real stuff starts to come out .What happened to all the shite about “just someone who follows local non league “
True colours coming out now :lol:

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:30 pm

Emdubya wrote:

:lol: So obvious ever since he arrived on the board

199 is a decent following, although it was free travel.

Our crowds should be higher for a town of our size, I'm not sure anyone disputes that. But we are having one of our worst ever seasons (relegation battle in the 6th tier). Spennymoor of course are having the best season in their history, so should be getting decent crowds.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:11 pm

I thought spendymore were born out of the financial ruins of two football clubs with a relocation ala MK Dons. Better hope Brad doesnt one day say the seven figure sum was all just a loan.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:43 pm

Mr_Pickle wrote:they aren't the ruins of a failed Football League club.
That's because they have never been anywhere near the FL.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:09 pm

Seven figure sum, surely not?! Spen, do you wish to comment on this obviously inaccurate comment?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:12 pm

Some facts on attendance figures from Vanarama National site:-

#1 Stockport average 3187 but down 8%
#2 York 2789 up 9%
#3 FC of Manchester 1968 down 26%
#4 Salford 1647 up 18%
#5 Darlo with average attendance of 1510, but this is 13% down on last season
#6 Kiddie 1501 down 15%

Spennymoor average 904 but 63% up

No one ever said it was going to be easy :!: :!:

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:26 pm

jjljks wrote:Some facts on attendance figures from Vanarama National site:-

#2 York 2789 up 9%
#4 Salford 1647 up 18%
#6 Kiddie 1501 down 15%

Is that games or just league as Stockport is 3,406 & Darlo 1,530 in terms of league.

I think we are well on our way of increasing attendance slowly, in fact they have held up quite well this season under the circumstances.

Would be interesting to see what Spenny achieve on a poor season as they haven't had one in over 10 years, done really well constantly moving up to the next level. Wonder how far Groves is willing to go, he seems to not be slowing down the club infrastructure or playing budget.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:30 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I thought spendymore were born out of the financial ruins of two football clubs with a relocation ala MK Dons. Better hope Brad doesnt one day say the seven figure sum was all just a loan.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:29 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Emdubya wrote:

:lol: So obvious ever since he arrived on the board

199 is a decent following, although it was free travel.

Our crowds should be higher for a town of our size, I'm not sure anyone disputes that. But we are having one of our worst ever seasons (relegation battle in the 6th tier). Spennymoor of course are having the best season in their history, so should be getting decent crowds.
Without free transport, they'd probably have had about 50 their. Wonder who's picking up the bill for the free transport? :roll:

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:07 pm

#2 York 2789 up 9%
#4 Salford 1647 up 18%
#6 Kiddie 1501 down 15%

I think I were shot down on here last season when I said we would NOT get an average attendance of 2000, which they said it would be a formality... I hate been right but I was merely pointing out people were not just gonna turn up because we returned home to Darlo and the trip to Bishop was to far, I knew it was a load of tosh, it's all to do with pricing etc and obviously how we are playing(fickle) I know..

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:17 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:

#2 York 2789 up 9%
#4 Salford 1647 up 18%
#6 Kiddie 1501 down 15%

I think I were shot down on here last season when I said we would NOT get an average attendance of 2000, which they said it would be a formality... I hate been right but I was merely pointing out people were not just gonna turn up because we returned home to Darlo and the trip to Bishop was to far, I knew it was a load of tosh, it's all to do with pricing etc and obviously how we are playing(fickle) I know..
I think you are embellishing the story a little, many thought we would do ok but not sure 2k was the stand point although we are probably lower than what many expected.

I think we could gradually get up there again but will take some doing, better football (which I would say we now have), better viewing and more seats (hopefully we are very close to this), a winning team (looks positive on this front), no constant money challenges (we will still need to raise cash but sounds like we will live within our means a lot closer now). Hopefully a positive next season and maybe a little cup run could help us increase.

You mention it every time so I would say you were correct and you enjoy being so.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:28 pm

The current challenge is to find the 300 that have gone missing since last season and find out why, they are the fans we’ve most chance of reconnecting with, just wish we knew who they were...

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:40 pm

one reason for sure why people don't attend is there is no (regular) shuttle bus service to and from Blackwell lets say 1 hour before and 1 hour after the match and on a cold day its a fair hike for some people who just choose to stay in the pub and have a pint where its warm.

You can also add to the list that the clubhouse leaves a fair bit to be desired ie long ques no sky sports cant even have a bloody piss in there without a card to get past overzealous security.

Plenty of times I along with others have not attended for these reasons above.

True you cant keep us all happy and they might be crap and fickle reasons for picking and choosing matches but there we go.

ps i don't want to get into any debate about whether I am right or wrong I've just added this post because someone asked why some people don't attend as often and i have given a couple of my reasons.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:31 am

True Spendy colours coming out here.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:00 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:

#2 York 2789 up 9%
#4 Salford 1647 up 18%
#6 Kiddie 1501 down 15%

Is that games or just league as Stockport is 3,406 & Darlo 1,530 in terms of league.

I think we are well on our way of increasing attendance slowly, in fact they have held up quite well this season under the circumstances.

Would be interesting to see what Spenny achieve on a poor season as they haven't had one in over 10 years, done really well constantly moving up to the next level. Wonder how far Groves is willing to go, he seems to not be slowing down the club infrastructure or playing budget.
The figures are just VNN League (11) games i got from Vanarama website. Statistically quite a small sample, so easily affected by 'one-off' events and compare to 2016/7 season when some of the clubs were playing different teams in different divisions. Spenny were starting from a small base of fans so whilst their 63% rise seems a lot, actually represents about 300 bodies & to be fair, this is probably one of their best ever seasons so not surprising their figures are up. My concern is comparison with FCUM and Salford as example of fan-owned v 'celebrity' owned & funded.
We should be aiming for 2000 average gates, hence need to win back those 300/400/500 "missing" fans with some innovations - retiming buses to BM or a shuttle. Nice to see the initiative getting youngsters in free/reduced prices, as they will have to replace 'oldies' popping their clogs (probably due to stress of following Darlo for a lifetime!).
Hats off to the diehard fans who keep the club alive and adapting to changes in circumstances. It is too easy to look back nostalgically at Feethams days, not so easy to face the issues of non-league football in 2018, but we have to go forward in faith, together.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:42 am

darlodaz wrote:one reason for sure why people don't attend is there is no (regular) shuttle bus service to and from Blackwell lets say 1 hour before and 1 hour after the match and on a cold day its a fair hike for some people who just choose to stay in the pub and have a pint where its warm.

You can also add to the list that the clubhouse leaves a fair bit to be desired ie long ques no sky sports cant even have a bloody piss in there without a card to get past overzealous security.

Plenty of times I along with others have not attended for these reasons above.

True you cant keep us all happy and they might be crap and fickle reasons for picking and choosing matches but there we go.

ps i don't want to get into any debate about whether I am right or wrong I've just added this post because someone asked why some people don't attend as often and i have given a couple of my reasons.
A taxi for 4 would be cheaper & more convenient than a shuttle bus but you could always obtain qoutes to compare. Have you already contacted the new SLO with your views? They are hoping that the surveys planned will improve the matchday experience but it will take time