Extra security measures for Gray on Saturday.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Extra security measures for Gray on Saturday.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:06 pm

Whilst finishing the covers today, I got ti confirmed by the club that extra fencing will bein place around the away dugout, to protect any possible abuse from Darlo fans. There will also be 2 security guards protecting Gray as well. Sensible measures given the feelings of fans towards Gray.

LoidLucan

Re: Extra security measures for Gray on Saturday.

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:40 pm

Makes him sound like Arthur Daley... for those who remember.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:27 pm

Are people actually that angry at Gray that there's a threat that warrants extra security?! A bit of stick and some chants I can understand, and is more than justifiable after some of his actions in 2017, but this, and the message from the club this morning, seems a little over the top? Unless I've misread the mood!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:40 pm

al_quaker wrote:Are people actually that angry at Gray that there's a threat that warrants extra security?! A bit of stick and some chants I can understand, and is more than justifiable after some of his actions in 2017, but this, and the message from the club this morning, seems a little over the top? Unless I've misread the mood!
On the proviso Pete is telling the truth and not trying to provoke a reaction (like normal) given our reputation, particularly at away games, I think it's sensible to have extra measures.

Two security guards does seem a little OTT however but we reap what we sow after failing to kick out our hooligan element.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:49 pm

I’ve seen some people’s reactions on twitter and once again some of our fans (assuming they are fans) post absolute rubbish. The club are forced into this based on what some people have written and how some have acted in the past.

I can get why gray isn’t liked for how he’s acted over the past few months, but he doesn’t deserve the over the top opinions of some. He’s the most successful manager ever? And we will abuse him? I’ve never liked him as a person, but thought he was a good manger up until the famous fans forum. Time to move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:45 pm

It’s the usual 10-12 twitter trolls who all follow each other and try to out do each other with the most outrage. I suspect they never actually get of their arses and actually help the club. Gray I’m sure will get some banter but the majority of fans would prefer a Darlo win and go home happy.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:08 am

Seems an odd thing to publicise, no? It's a bit of a sad state of affairs when we have to ask fans to behave, but also making a point out of the increased security just seems to up the tension a bit more.

Just have the security there on the day. Saying you're fencing a bit off especially, in advance, will probably just draw idiots to it. He's going to take some stick, but it shouldn't be more than that.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:01 am

It's not being publicised - Darlo_Pete is relaying hearsay.

Aren't some of our more troublesome fans pretty pally with Gray anyway?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:01 am

H1987 wrote:Seems an odd thing to publicise, no? It's a bit of a sad state of affairs when we have to ask fans to behave, but also making a point out of the increased security just seems to up the tension a bit more.

Just have the security there on the day. Saying you're fencing a bit off especially, in advance, will probably just draw idiots to it. He's going to take some stick, but it shouldn't be more than that.
I suppose the club want to be seen to be doing all they can, a bit like people standing on the H.P grassy bank and also with the flares.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:28 am

Why should be covering costs of this fencing and security?

Absolutely pathetic. Bloke deserves every ounce of s*** we give him. Fucking rat faced c***.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:41 am

We're paying for a couple of security guards for Gray?

We've already paid for three promotions for him - what more does he want?

I'm surprised he doesn't have a team of bodyguards already along with his matchday analyst, assistant to the junior kitman, sous chef and the rest of his entourage!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:44 am

it could all be mind games designed to upset York and pave the way for a famous Darlo win ;-)

That or the club think the half brained clown army will be out in force so are taking steps to prevent any issues.
AndyPark wrote:Why should be covering costs of this fencing and security?

Absolutely pathetic. Bloke deserves every ounce of s*** we give him. Fucking rat faced c***.

Yes - Gray deserves some stick. What he doesn't deserve is some half arsed clown chinning him while he is at work. That will be bad for everyone.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:53 am

AndyPark wrote:Why should be covering costs of this fencing and security?

You seem to be missing Andy that if anything happens to Gray then the club are the ones hit with the fine from the FA.

It is reported that Sutton's kit man got punched on Saturday by a Macclesfield spectator...could we afford a fine for the same reason?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:56 am

I'm not at all condoning violence and what may/may not happen.

But if MG is that worried about it, he or his club should be stumping up the cash for his 'protection'. We will already have police and a number of stewards at the game, why should we be forking out AGAIN for Martin Gray.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:20 am

you are missing the point entirely.

We are 'forking' out to protect our interests (avoid a £25k+ fine from the FA) we are not doing it to protect Martin Gray.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:29 am

AndyPark wrote:I'm not at all condoning violence and what may/may not happen.

But if MG is that worried about it, he or his club should be stumping up the cash for his 'protection'. We will already have police and a number of stewards at the game, why should we be forking out AGAIN for Martin Gray.
I presume it's the home club's responsibility to ensure the safety of all who attend the game, including opposition managers.

I'm all for some chants directed at Gray, but if some of our fans are genuinely so angry at Gray it could resort to violence (which would be utterly pathetic, but not overly surprising considering some who attend big games of ours) then the club is correct in taking extra steps to try and ensure nothing seriously embarrassing or damaging occurs.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:34 am

Yes I didn't like the way Gray left and how he somehow thought he was God at the club but I would hope a majority of fans would give him a clap when they see him.
He did get us close to where we want to be - and now I think we all agree that we need to take stock of where we are in readiness for a promotion push in the future.
Ideally he should have left at the end of last season and said under the current structure he's taken us as far as he can - but instead he hung around for a job to come up. I'm sure in the future once the dust settled he will be remembered better.
In terms of security, we need to be a bit careful of the keyboard warriors that are out there - I'm sure everything will be OK - anyone who takes it too far on Saturday should be banned for life anyway.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:14 am

lo36789 wrote:It's not being publicised - Darlo_Pete is relaying hearsay.

Aren't some of our more troublesome fans pretty pally with Gray anyway?
It's not hearsay, i was down at the club yesterday helping with the covers. It was confirmed by someone at the rugby club and the extra fencing was close to the away dugout, waiting to be put into place.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:46 am

al_quaker wrote:

if some of our fans are genuinely so angry at Gray it could resort to violence (which would be utterly pathetic, but not overly surprising considering some who attend big games of ours) then the club is correct in taking extra steps to try and ensure nothing seriously embarrassing or damaging occurs.
I doubt anyone is that angry with him that they'd resort to violence because of it.

Anyone resorting to violence, or threatening it, or even using abusive language towards him, is only doing it for a bit of posturing to their mates. We all know the type.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:49 am

I don't get the Gray hate campaign. What is it we're all angry about? The fans forum outburst? Pressuring the board to overspend? Being full of self-importance?

All those things were there before he left yet people only seem to want to call him a "rat-faced c***" after he left. There was plenty of opportunity to that when he was here but there were no fences or security guards then. Personally I think the way he left suited us (if a little late), I dread to think what would have happened if we tried to sack him.
Just another opposition manager to me, and if you really want to get under his skin, treat him as such and ignore him.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:54 am

Makka Pakka wrote:I don't get the Gray hate campaign. What is it we're all angry about? The fans forum outburst? Pressuring the board to overspend? Being full of self-importance?

All those things were there before he left yet people only seem to want to call him a "rat-faced c***" after he left.
Not everyone. Some questioned him before he left, and before his outburst.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:12 am

Spyman wrote:Not everyone. Some questioned him before he left, and before his outburst.
Indeed I was ridiculed for my view on his relentless ambition being out of sync with the clubs capacity long before the forum...
Darlo_Pete wrote:It's not hearsay, i was down at the club yesterday helping with the covers. It was confirmed by someone at the rugby club and the extra fencing was close to the away dugout, waiting to be put into place.
Sorry I was wrong. It was publicised... :roll:

No-one is saying that it is acceptable for somebody to do that but nobody said any of our 'fans' previous misdemeanours were acceptable either - doesn't stop it from happening. I think it is a sensible prevention really when this is one view...
AndyPark wrote:Bloke deserves every ounce of s*** we give him.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:20 am

Apparently it's all because we're so disappointed that he left......
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/yorkci ... on_return/

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:29 am

I think the way Gray left us and took our best players, we should be able to vent our feelings towards him. Gray is easily wound up and I doubt he'll be able to take the stick he'll get, without reacting. Hope the bad feelings doesn't carry onto the pitch.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:59 am

DarloDave40 wrote:It’s the usual 10-12 twitter trolls who all follow each other and try to out do each other with the most outrage. I suspect they never actually get of their arses and actually help the club. Gray I’m sure will get some banter but the majority of fans would prefer a Darlo win and go home happy.
I have never seen any real outrage as such, more people just taking the piss out of him ahead of Saturday.... what has been said?

And I am sure you have evidence for your claim that said people never help the club....

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:13 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Yes I didn't like the way Gray left and how he somehow thought he was God at the club but I would hope a majority of fans would give him a clap when they see him.
He did get us close to where we want to be - and now I think we all agree that we need to take stock of where we are in readiness for a promotion push in the future.
Ideally he should have left at the end of last season and said under the current structure he's taken us as far as he can - but instead he hung around for a job to come up. I'm sure in the future once the dust settled he will be remembered better.
In terms of security, we need to be a bit careful of the keyboard warriors that are out there - I'm sure everything will be OK - anyone who takes it too far on Saturday should be banned for life anyway.
A clap? You must be joking. He held the club hostage for his own personal ambition by attempting to bring back a bloke who was the cause of our four division demotion and then proceeded to call the club a laughing stock. This despite the fact supporters had ploughed thousands into the club, providing him with a competitive budget at every level we played at. He had no managerial career before this club.
He also undermined the work of the board, in regards to fundraising at the fans forum and caused a divide in the fan base that could have had a severe impact on the club going forward.
Even after the forum, where fans put more money into the pot for his budget, it still wasn't enough for him.
Not a chance he will get a clap from me.
Craig Liddle is God!!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:15 pm

darlo_baron wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Yes I didn't like the way Gray left and how he somehow thought he was God at the club but I would hope a majority of fans would give him a clap when they see him.
A clap? You must be joking. He held the club hostage for his own personal ambition by attempting to bring back a bloke who was the cause of our four division demotion and then proceeded to call the club a laughing stock. This despite the fact supporters had ploughed thousands into the club, providing him with a competitive budget at every level we played at. He had no managerial career before this club.
He also undermined the work of the board, in regards to fundraising at the fans forum and caused a divide in the fan base that could have had a severe impact on the club going forward.
Even after the forum, where fans put more money into the pot for his budget, it still wasn't enough for him.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:17 pm

darlo_baron wrote:
Maybe he meant the clap?

DC

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:22 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I think the way Gray left us and took our best players, we should be able to vent our feelings towards him.
Again, the way he left us was better than us sacking him. And as for taking Ferguson & Bartlett and trying to sign Beck, taking 3 of our highest earners off our hands helped us get back towards a sensible playing budget and we got a transfer fee on top - so again - should we not be pleased with that outcome?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:52 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I think the way Gray left us and took our best players, we should be able to vent our feelings towards him.
Again, the way he left us was better than us sacking him. And as for taking Ferguson & Bartlett and trying to sign Beck, taking 3 of our highest earners off our hands helped us get back towards a sensible playing budget and we got a transfer fee on top - so again - should we not be pleased with that outcome?
Completely agree - and the fickle fans forget the promotions he got with us under his leadership - however I don't personally like Gray and I have heard he is a t**t to work for. But that time has gone - its time to move on.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman