Darlington FC v York City FC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, botrash, charlie, uncovered

JE93
Posts: 1125
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by JE93 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:10 pm

Well whatever the build up it's almost game time. Whatever the size of the crowd, the reception of Mr Gray, the performance of ex players or any other variable it will be the result on the pitch that matters come 5 o'clock on Saturday.

Looking at the echo it seems that Galbraith, Portas and Trotman may all be fit to start after recovering from injuries. Which pretty much gives us a full squad to choose from to try and get the result we need to move us up the table. Looking at what we have available I'd probably go for something like:

-------------------------- Talbot -----------------------------

Trotman -------- Heaton ------- Collins --------- Galbraith

------------------------- Turnbull ---------------------------

Gillies ----------- Portas ------- Wheatley ------ Thompson

-------------------------- Styche ----------------------------

Subs: Syers, Brown, Scott, Saunders, Mills

Very tough decision between Portas and Syers. Portas probably gives us more defensively, but with Syers he does offer us more a goal threat and that is something we are severely lacking at the moment. Could either swap Gillies for Mills, don't think we've seen the best of either of them yet to pick one over another.

I'd give Heaton the job of taking Parkin out of the game, did a very good job of that against Ainge and Beck and hopefully he can again rise to the challenge. I think if you do that York are fairly similar to that, struggle to score goals and break teams down.

One thing we have to do better is use the ball when we win it back. high balls to Styche won't stick we have to be more clever, play the ball into the channels. I don't want to start a policy of playing out dangerously from the back because it could be disastrous. But we can't just play attack v defence like we did against Harrogate. Hopefully Portas and Wheatley can be brave in possession and carry the ball forwards in midfield and let Thompson and Gillies get at their full backs.

Still think we have a good chance tomorrow if we can stay solid and keep the ball long enough to put some attacks together and gain some territory in York's Half.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11356
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:22 am

Very heavy rain at the moment. Wonder if there will be a cautionary pitch inspection?

oilyman
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:36 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by oilyman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:12 am

anybody know the state of the pitch ? am at thornaby and no large amounts of standing water, hope its on otherwise its a day doing battle with my trike again (i think it hates me).

AndyPark
Posts: 11304
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by AndyPark » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:13 am

Still chucking it down, would be shocked if this game goes ahead.
18/19 Season:
LDWDLDLWDLLWWWDDDDLLLLWDWWLWDLLDWDLDLLW

*includes all cup games*

Emdubya
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Emdubya » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:58 am

Very little rain forecast for the rest of the day and 6 hours to K O. Let’s give the drains a chance eh.

al_quaker
Posts: 5246
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:14 am

Pitch is fine according to Scott on twitter

lo36789
Posts: 7978
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:21 am

Yep Scott posted that the drainage has done the job :thumbup:

poppyfield
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by poppyfield » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:04 am

JE93 wrote:Well whatever the build up it's almost game time. Whatever the size of the crowd, the reception of Mr Gray, the performance of ex players or any other variable it will be the result on the pitch that matters come 5 o'clock on Saturday.

Looking at the echo it seems that Galbraith, Portas and Trotman may all be fit to start after recovering from injuries. Which pretty much gives us a full squad to choose from to try and get the result we need to move us up the table. Looking at what we have available I'd probably go for something like:

-------------------------- Talbot -----------------------------

Trotman -------- Heaton ------- Collins --------- Galbraith

------------------------- Turnbull ---------------------------

Gillies ----------- Portas ------- Wheatley ------ Thompson

-------------------------- Styche ----------------------------

Subs: Syers, Brown, Scott, Saunders, Mills

Very tough decision between Portas and Syers. Portas probably gives us more defensively, but with Syers he does offer us more a goal threat and that is something we are severely lacking at the moment. Could either swap Gillies for Mills, don't think we've seen the best of either of them yet to pick one over another.

I'd give Heaton the job of taking Parkin out of the game, did a very good job of that against Ainge and Beck and hopefully he can again rise to the challenge. I think if you do that York are fairly similar to that, struggle to score goals and break teams down.

One thing we have to do better is use the ball when we win it back. high balls to Styche won't stick we have to be more clever, play the ball into the channels. I don't want to start a policy of playing out dangerously from the back because it could be disastrous. But we can't just play attack v defence like we did against Harrogate. Hopefully Portas and Wheatley can be brave in possession and carry the ball forwards in midfield and let Thompson and Gillies get at their full backs.

Still think we have a good chance tomorrow if we can stay solid and keep the ball long enough to put some attacks together and gain some territory in York's Half.
If we are going to win this game I think we need to go 4 4 2 and get some help to Styche up front he can't do it on his own he's to isolated, when we went defensive at Harrogate we just got pushed further and further back.
Today we have got to get in their faces from the whistle not give them a moment to settle, to do this I would have Saunders up front with Styche , its toss up between Portas and Wheatley who would partner Turnbull in the middle.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

SwansQuaker83
Posts: 690
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:46 pm
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:13 am

poppyfield wrote:
JE93 wrote:Well whatever the build up it's almost game time. Whatever the size of the crowd, the reception of Mr Gray, the performance of ex players or any other variable it will be the result on the pitch that matters come 5 o'clock on Saturday.

Looking at the echo it seems that Galbraith, Portas and Trotman may all be fit to start after recovering from injuries. Which pretty much gives us a full squad to choose from to try and get the result we need to move us up the table. Looking at what we have available I'd probably go for something like:

-------------------------- Talbot -----------------------------

Trotman -------- Heaton ------- Collins --------- Galbraith

------------------------- Turnbull ---------------------------

Gillies ----------- Portas ------- Wheatley ------ Thompson

-------------------------- Styche ----------------------------

Subs: Syers, Brown, Scott, Saunders, Mills

Very tough decision between Portas and Syers. Portas probably gives us more defensively, but with Syers he does offer us more a goal threat and that is something we are severely lacking at the moment. Could either swap Gillies for Mills, don't think we've seen the best of either of them yet to pick one over another.

I'd give Heaton the job of taking Parkin out of the game, did a very good job of that against Ainge and Beck and hopefully he can again rise to the challenge. I think if you do that York are fairly similar to that, struggle to score goals and break teams down.

One thing we have to do better is use the ball when we win it back. high balls to Styche won't stick we have to be more clever, play the ball into the channels. I don't want to start a policy of playing out dangerously from the back because it could be disastrous. But we can't just play attack v defence like we did against Harrogate. Hopefully Portas and Wheatley can be brave in possession and carry the ball forwards in midfield and let Thompson and Gillies get at their full backs.

Still think we have a good chance tomorrow if we can stay solid and keep the ball long enough to put some attacks together and gain some territory in York's Half.
If we are going to win this game I think we need to go 4 4 2 and get some help to Styche up front he can't do it on his own he's to isolated, when we went defensive at Harrogate we just got pushed further and further back.
Today we have got to get in their faces from the whistle not give them a moment to settle, to do this I would have Saunders up front with Styche , its toss up between Portas and Wheatley who would partner Turnbull in the middle.
Wheatley

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11356
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:04 pm

I'd play Miller instead of Saunders.

Emdubya
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Emdubya » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:09 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I'd play Miller instead of Saunders.
Who?. :problem:

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11356
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:18 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I'd play Miller instead of Saunders.
Who?. :problem:
Sorry Mills instead of Saunders.

JE93
Posts: 1125
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by JE93 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:25 pm

Team for today:

Talbot

Collins
Heaton
Brown
Galbraith

Mills
Syers
Wheatley
Thompson

Styche (c)
Saunders

Subs: Turnbull, Scott, Gillies, Portas, Caton

Well its an attacking team. Not much cover for the full backs or CB's in there though.

User avatar
Earl_Lee_Dawes
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Northallerton

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:48 pm

1 - 0 to Darlo. Half time.

User avatar
Earl_Lee_Dawes
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Northallerton

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:07 pm

York equalize straight after kick off...

User avatar
Earl_Lee_Dawes
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Northallerton

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Bollocks, pen to York. 1 - 2

tdk1
Posts: 1873
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Now 2-1 to York. What is wrong with us?

offside
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 8:45 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by offside » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:18 pm

What sort of reception is gray getting?
Last edited by offside on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darlo reborn
Posts: 1260
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Half time team talks must be sending them to sleep always seem to start second half badly

tdk1
Posts: 1873
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:24 pm

I am increasingly convinced we are going down.

User avatar
Earl_Lee_Dawes
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Northallerton

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:29 pm

All York at the moment!

Darlogramps
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:30 pm

tdk1 wrote:Now 2-1 to York. What is wrong with us?
Tommy Wright
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
Earl_Lee_Dawes
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Northallerton

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:31 pm

Attendance quoted to be 2500

tdk1
Posts: 1873
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:31 pm

**cough**yes**cough**

User avatar
Earl_Lee_Dawes
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Northallerton

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:37 pm

Darlo go close with free kick

User avatar
bertbanger
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:18 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by bertbanger » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:38 pm

ive got a feeling things will kick off at full time if the score stays like this

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11356
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:40 pm

offside wrote:What sort of reception is gary getting?
Plenty of songs about him, not very complimentary.

User avatar
Earl_Lee_Dawes
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Northallerton

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:44 pm

Another free kick goes close

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11356
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:47 pm

Sounds like York are on top.

User avatar
Earl_Lee_Dawes
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Northallerton

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:51 pm

Chances at both ends!

Post Reply