Darlington FC v York City FC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:52 pm

York miss a sitter.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:54 pm

FT 1 - 2.

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:54 pm

RIOT!!!!!

Earl_Lee_Dawes

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:57 pm

Private Frazer says 'We're doomed!'

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:03 pm

Will reserve judgement till 3 games after Salford if we have not won any then we are DOOMED

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Didn't think we were awful today, but we seem to concede sloppily when we have the ball, both their goals I felt came too quickly after good possession by us.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:47 pm

First half great. Just so sloppy, asleep and inept at the start of the second half, we new they would come at us like a train and well...............there you have it

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:52 pm

If Wright really loves darlo as much as he says then maybe we're not too far from him taking a tough decision about his own future for the good of the club. At the moment we are absolutely sleepwalking towards relegation and only the fans seem to accept it as a possibility. One win in 9 now is it?

So many people seem to be blaming the players because of faith that Wright will suddenly turn it round. But the players are perfectly capable, and we're unlikely to significantly improve on what we have given our budget. Maybe it's time to accept that we need a lot more from what we have at the moment, and that is the management's responsibility.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:55 pm

Tommy has to decide on his best starting 11 and play that, far too much chopping and changing for me, and our starting lineup today was far too attack minded and having Syers and Wheatley in midfield was a big mistake IMO.We missed Turnbull badly and I am confused over what our management team see in Syers, should have been Turnbull and Portas.Also Mills is proving a major disappointment, very average signing and no better than what we already have.No more excuses afraid to say, have to win Wednesday or the pressure will start to mount on TW.Gutted with this result, York were average and Gray punching the air in front of the York fans just does my head in.Get things sorted Tommy for gods sake sooner than later.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:55 pm

Gotta say I'm getting mightily sick of witnessing a similar pattern unfold in virtually every game. We always seem to suffer a defensive capitulation at some stage to hand the points over to often mediocre sides. York were no great shakes but it didn't take much of an effort for them to turn the game around. We frequently seem to get caught out by one single ball out of defence and there is no doubt we have become a soft touch.

TW's record after eight league games of 9 goals for and 19 against with one win, one draw and six defeats is dreadful. And I don't think he's going to be able to produce a solid side that is difficult to beat. My fear is that we will be under so much pressure to get results in the supposedly more winnable games that it won't go to plan because confidence will be so shot. I'm not sure we'll be able to escape the trapdoor. Not a knee-jerk reaction, just a realistic assessment of where we are in the TW era.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:56 pm

As in other games, reasonably competitive for most of it, but a couple of defensive implosions see us concede yet more sloppy goals. How many times do we need to be caught on the break before we stop over committing players forward?

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:04 pm

Yet again we create our downfall, after a solid first half performance.

What was Thommo doing for their first goal running across field in our own half when all he had to do was play it down the line. Just keep it tight for 15 minutes at the start of the half it's not rocket science.

Blyth away, Harrogate away and now today, it's not the management it's individuals on the pitch.

Let's get Salford out of the way then we are really going to have to dig in.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:06 pm

offside wrote:What sort of reception is gary getting?
Gary who??

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:06 pm

al_quaker wrote:As in other games, reasonably competitive for most of it, but a couple of defensive implosions see us concede yet more sloppy goals. How many times do we need to be caught on the break before we stop over committing players forward?
We need to try and bring a couple of new signings in, we are mentally not strong enough and in saying that, Scott, Turnbull and Portas should have started.Gray must have been laughing his cap off the way we were set up, very poor from Tommy afraid to say,

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Teams know that as long as they stay in the game against us and keep it reasonably tight then we are going to make a mistake to let them in. Alfreton away is a real 6 pointer. I feel it's must win.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:07 pm

quakerste wrote:Yet again we create our downfall, after a solid first half performance.

What was Thommo doing for their first goal running across field in our own half when all he had to do was play it down the line. Just keep it tight for 15 minutes at the start of the half it's not rocket science.

Blyth away, Harrogate away and now today, it's not the management it's individuals on the pitch.

Let's get Salford out of the way then we are really going to have to dig in.
I really do think it's the management

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:09 pm

al_quaker wrote:As in other games, reasonably competitive for most of it, but a couple of defensive implosions see us concede yet more sloppy goals. How many times do we need to be caught on the break before we stop over committing players forward?
This is not a recent problem. We were done over week in week out in the same manner last season and conceded 71. The major difference being we scored loads too.

This continued this season under Gray, except we became unable to score.

Now under TW we're even worse but we have had a frail defence for a long time.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:13 pm

We all know what fragile defence and lack of goals is a recipe for. But it's all right, nowt to do with me guv, I'm just the manager.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:16 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
We need to try and bring a couple of new signings in, we are mentally not strong enough and in saying that, Scott, Turnbull and Portas should have started.Gray must have been laughing his cap off the way we were set up, very poor from Tommy afraid to say,

The same Scott who was done like a kipper for the first last monday and who, with Turnbull failed to do the basic stuff like mark a man when its two back for an attacking set piece??
Turnbull was unlucky to be dropped but Scotty for all he gives 100% should be nowhere near the starting 11 when other players are fit.

Beano

Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by Beano » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:17 pm

I know Tommy and Alan are working with a tight budget and have inherited problems from Gray’s regime, but, unfortunately, we are playing significantly worse under their stewardship.

Styche aside, they haven’t improved the squad with their signings, no youth players have been blooded, and, most importantly, individual players haven’t been improved and several have regressed. Thommo aside, I haven’t seen any of the existing squad improve their form which is extremely worrying.

I’m not going to say anything rash, but I’m massively underwhelmed and disappointed, and will not accept the blame on individual players as they’ve now had the time to organise the team on the training field.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:20 pm

There are some harsh comments here but in my opinion the team played well and are an improvement on what T.W inherited. Were York really that much better than us? Only a little perhaps.

We've had a tough run of games lately, the last 3 against full time moneyed up sides full - this will culminate on Weds evening, once that is done we can get back to a little normality, and should start picking up points.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:22 pm

Quakerz wrote:
This is not a recent problem. We were done over week in week out in the same manner last season and conceded 71. The major difference being we scored loads too.

This continued this season under Gray, except we became unable to score.

Now under TW we're even worse but we have had a frail defence for a long time.
This for me is the issue. Wright has had three months in charge and I do feel we've gone backwards.

The defence seems more chaotic than ever. The signings he's brought in have had little impact.

Salford on Wednesday is his last free hit. Everyone expects us to lose so he's got no pressure on him. After that, no excuses.

Lose to Alfreton after that and all hell could be let loose.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:22 pm

Would have put Scott in midfield never LB just for his physical presence alone, like I said we are not tough enough mentally to keep clean sheets.I feared the worst when I saw our starting lineup.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:23 pm

In fairness to Wright: the fixtures he's had since he came in have been, based on today's league standings, 2nd twice, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 8th, 11th and 20th, with 1st to come on Wednesday. A poor team in poor form was always going to struggle to pick up many points from that lot. Gray's team towards the end was struggling against much easier opposition.

Problem is, there hasn't been much improvement, half the time I can't work out what the shape of the team is meant to be, we're still making silly mistakes, and today's lack of substitutions was baffling.

After Salford we've got 2 away games against teams down the bottom with us, with home to Chorley sandwiched in-between. We need to pick up some points from those games, as February looks like another tough month. If we don't pick up some points by the end of this month, we could well be stranded in the bottom 3 by the time March comes around.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:24 pm

Beano wrote: I know Tommy and Alan are working with a tight budget and have inherited problems from Gray’s regime, but, unfortunately, we are playing significantly worse under their stewardship.

Worse than Gray away at Ferriby, or Curzon? Or home to South Shields? Or the other numerous games where the players looked out of sorts.

[/quote]
Beano wrote:Styche aside, they haven’t improved the squad with their signings

Heaton? The young Goalie?
Last edited by theoriginalfatcat on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:28 pm

Players at this level are always going to make individual errors. Like someone else said, we're sleepwalking our way to relegation. I just feel that until the end of the season it's going to be deja vu and nothing much will change. If this squad of players was good enough then we wouldn't be making the same mistakes every week and we wouldn't be conceding 3 goals most weeks. I think we'll win the odd game and I hope I'm wrong, but probably a team will need around 46 points to stay up. Another 6 wins, but where are they coming from? We're running out of games and I'm afraid these players aren't capable of keeping a shape for 90 minutes. If they were then we wouldn't keep repeating ourselves.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:31 pm

I find it quite worrying that people seem to be of the mindset that games against anyone in the top half should just be written off as an inevitable defeat but we'll be OK because we may well be able to scrape some points from those teams below us in the league. I don't mind defeats as long as I can see signs of progress and that things will slowly improve. All I've seen so far is chopping and changing formations and personnel with no clear impression of the TW way to lead us forward. I don't see the vision, the style of play, the set-up, just a succession of games which pan out the same way whoever we play.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:34 pm

I’m not as negative as most on here today. I was surprised with the starting line up, but Turnbull hasn’t played well recently.
Styche’s goal was great, can’t wait to see it again in the highlights. Harvey played better than I’ve ever seen. Thommo was much better.
The players were asleep as the 2nd half kicked off and the goal came from a deflection, an easy fix and a bit of bad luck. The penalty (a dive?) came from an attacking free kick in which we over committed going forward, again an easy fix. We were the better team for the first half, they were better in the 2nd half. Their missed sitters (plural) were from us chasing an equaliser and wouldn’t have occurred if we were level. A draw would have been a fair result but that’s football.

What amazed/disappointed me was that Collins wasn’t taken off earlier as he clearly couldn’t run properly, and Syers and Mills did nothing for the whole 2nd half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:36 pm

What concerns me is the lack of protection for the defence. You could see from that starting XI that we were going to be badly exposed.

He needs to sign a ball winning, defensive midfielder to help out. Cut out the stupid mistakes at the back and Styche will score the goals to keep us up. He needs to acknowledge we're in a relegation battle as well. Playoffs... :roll: (I know this sensibly hasn't been uttered in a while, but it was never realistic)

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:36 pm

It was incredible that TW left Mills on for the whole game, given that he did very little. But I suppose he had travelled a long way to be here.