Martin Gray....silence

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

Martin Gray....silence

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:58 am

I could understand him keeping quiet before the game just as not to stir the melting pot - but has anyone heard anything from him after the game?
If I was a York fan I would want to know his views on the game and may be not talking after the game is taking this too far.
Im sure he is hurt that after 5 years of hard work he has got little thanks from the Darlo fans, but he is manager of York now - I was looking forward to hearing his thoughts on the game.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

theoriginalfatcat

Re: Martin Gray....silence

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:06 am

I read Dave Penney's thoughts.

Amongst other things he said that Styche cunningly left his elbow up to injure their player (the one who went off) and also that their players should have stayed down on the ground longer after getting fouled by us! i.e. act up to cause trouble, so watch out other teams.

York should have won by a much higher margin if they'd taken their chances, according to Penney.

He also said that York are looking to bring in some new players, to liven things up!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:10 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:I could understand him keeping quiet before the game just as not to stir the melting pot - but has anyone heard anything from him after the game?
If I was a York fan I would want to know his views on the game and may be not talking after the game is taking this too far.
Im sure he is hurt that after 5 years of hard work he has got little thanks from the Darlo fans, but he is manager of York now - I was looking forward to hearing his thoughts on the game.
Listening to Penney is enough for me to stomach, without Gray blurting on about how many more additions to his squad he will be bringing in.Time to move on now but that defeat still hurts even on a Monday.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:17 am

Must admit it raised an eyebrow when I read Penney's comment essentially saying the York players should have cheated by feigning injury to get players booked or sent off. Pretty much a comment that could bring the game into disrepute, especially coming from a Director of Football, assistant manager or whatever the hell his role is.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:21 am

LoidLucan wrote:Must admit it raised an eyebrow when I read Penney's comment essentially saying the York players should have cheated by feigning injury to get players booked or sent off. Pretty much a comment that could bring the game into disrepute, especially coming from a Director of Football, assistant manager or whatever the hell his role is.
Yes, it's surprisingly poor.

Penney will instruct Gray to put this idea into the game plan - and it will come to pass.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:16 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote: Im sure he is hurt that after 5 years of hard work he has got little thanks from the Darlo fans,
I think you've got that the wrong way round.

The Darlo fans were due a big 'thank you' from Martin Gray on his departure. We paid his wages and gave him near enough everything he asked for for 5 years.

Instead he said we were a laughing stock.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:08 pm

According to a YCFC-supporting mate, MG has refused to speak to either the press or YCFC's in house web/YouTube team for the past three games, all of which they won. Weird.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:13 pm

biccynana wrote:According to a YCFC-supporting mate, MG has refused to speak to either the press or YCFC's in house web/YouTube team for the past three games, all of which they won. Weird.
My god do they grill him, Ray seems like a pussycat compared to the York lot, interviews would normally last 6-7 mins compared to our 3 mins.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:21 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
biccynana wrote:According to a YCFC-supporting mate, MG has refused to speak to either the press or YCFC's in house web/YouTube team for the past three games, all of which they won. Weird.
My god do they grill him, Ray seems like a pussycat compared to the York lot, interviews would normally last 6-7 mins compared to our 3 mins.

Unfortunately for him if he wants to carve out a full-time management career in the football league he's going to have to accept greater scrutiny than he got with us and even what he's getting at York.

If he's not cut out for that he won't make much of a career for himself.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:31 pm

I don't think Gray has the composure not to court controversy from what he says. I can understand his silence in the run up to Saturday's game, as he didn't want to antagonise Darlo fans anymore than they already feeling.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:37 pm

As the old saying goes, some things are best left never said.

It would have been all too easy for MG to pull off a Salford style hatchet job to antagonise our fans or do what Falky did at Harrogate and begin goading us but he didn't. He turned up took the inevitable stick on the chin and didn't make a spectacle of himself and his York team came away with the 3 points, end of story.

What he does/doesn't do from here on in is no longer any of our concern, all attention now must be focused on avoiding relegation.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlo-and-Back

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:13 pm

Does he have in-house PR at MGFA running his media for him I wonder?