Darlington FC V Salford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Radar
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Salford

Post by Radar » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:59 pm

4 points accumulated is just not good enough.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:04 pm

What post match comments do you reckon he’ll come out with this time?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:06 pm

Didn't deserve to lose that game.. Players just need a bit of self belief .. As for that pen it was worry than Windass's attempt at the Arena

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:18 pm

Saturday is now a must win game. I think the tide will turn against TW if we fail at Alfreton, with even the more optimistic and reasonable fans running out of patience. At what point will DJ intervene? No good raising money to boost next season’s budget if we’re back down in the pub league. Could it be used to make AA/Blyth an offer they can’t refuse, speculating to accumulate. I feel awful saying this as I like TW but it looks like the words of our Nuneaton friends are coming to fruition. We cannot afford to go down as we’d not come back up

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:19 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:Saturday is now a must win game. I think the tide will turn against TW if we fail at Alfreton
Every game is must win.

Sadly, we are utter shite.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:20 pm

We played really well tonight and were more than a match for the league leaders. Salford were sharper than us in and around the box but we dominated play and controlled the ball. Reece’s moment of madness probably tipped the momentum and mentally gave them the edge. If play with that level of passion and intensity against lesser teams then we’ll avoid relegation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:22 pm

Well you’re right Andy but there will be no hiding behind budgets/full timers etc come 5 o’ clock Saturday

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:23 pm

GH I hope you’re right. I’d love TW to turn it round but our record is woeful. I fear something will have to give if we come home empty handed on Saturday

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:25 pm

We're done in once again by one long ball forward which suddenly leads to a one-on-one. What a surprise. It was a heartbreaking way to lose yet another game but they always looked the more dangerous in front of goal and do score a lot of late goals. There'll be no place to hide on Saturday when TW will have had a quarter of a season in charge of us.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:28 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:Saturday is now a must win game. I think the tide will turn against TW if we fail at Alfreton, with even the more optimistic and reasonable fans running out of patience. At what point will DJ intervene? No good raising money to boost next season’s budget if we’re back down in the pub league. Could it be used to make AA/Blyth an offer they can’t refuse, speculating to accumulate. I feel awful saying this as I like TW but it looks like the words of our Nuneaton friends are coming to fruition. We cannot afford to go down as we’d not come back up
I really can’t see why Armstrong would leave Blyth for us.

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:30 pm

Nor can I CR but lose at the weekend and DJ will have to act. That would make it 4points from a quarter of a season. No point in thinking seats and budgets if we’re relegated. We’d struggle to recruit again as we’d no longer be the Cinderella club on its way back to good times

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:38 pm

Hard core fans again tonight

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:41 pm

You can't blame people for staying away when we lose virtually every game we play.

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:42 pm

I’ll be there with Vodka_Vic Saturday, wanting desperately for TW and the lads to get some reward. That reward now has to be 3 points though IMO

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:52 pm

It's like a broken record.....play quite well for chunks of the game and just give it away yet again.
Enough is enough for me with TW. Changed the whole midfield again from Saturday and continues to play Thompson as a wing back. Wheatley andvSyers did ok but hey let's bring in an out of form Turnbull to sit in front of the back four as he does and play a creative midfielder alongside him, Scott!! Where does he get these ideas from.
Collins at some point needed resting before he got badly injured, but no play him again when only half fit, and then not pick a defender on the bench just in case. Surely Marrs as a minimum should have been on the bench.
Just like Sat, a goal down, 5/6 mins left so let's just play nice passes between defenders and keeper. For gods sake, push Heaton or Brown up,and launch it as nothing to lose.
We are so naive it is untrue.
On a positive, Mills had best game and Heaton looks a find....but don't get me started on Mr Showboater.....
Just cannot see enough changing to get us 5/6 wins, hope I,m wrong.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:57 pm

Thought we defended pretty well and restricted them to only a few chances but they did start to turn the screw towards the end and gutted we couldn't hang on for 4 more minutes for a deserved point in my opinion.As with York they were nothing flash and after we equalised seemed to be getting on top but the last 6 or 7 minutes told on us.
We had a tougher look about us tonight and matched them for long periods but for me the problem lay up front as we were not holding the ball up enough and Salford just put more pressure on our defence and sooner or later we would crack which was the case.Even though Mills scored a good goal he is not sharp enough and we badly need another striker to partner Styche and have more threat in the final third,tonight was not good enough and it cost us.However I would not make wholesale changes as we deserved a draw tonight but I do worry about our attacking options and TW somehow needs to bring someone in preferably before Saturday.
A bit more optimistic after tonight but we are 1 player short and really need to address this to get us out of this mess.If TW can bring someone in I think we will be ok, if not then it will be a whole lot tougher.Over to our board to see if funds are available but a no brainer for me.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:02 pm

TheDenverMan wrote:Oh dear, relegation beckons....
Ok mods.Lets not let this fuckwit get settled in.

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:03 pm

Ron me and Vodka are there Sat. Do you think it’s winnable based on tonight and would you say tonight was better than York? Agreed re funding for personnel.

Quaker0006

Post by Quaker0006 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:11 pm

To say we were awful is ridiculous. We played well in large parts of the game, same as we did against York. Im as concerned as anyone about the defensive mistakes, but im been mildly encouraged by recent performances. Play at tonights level and we will beat lesser teams

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:15 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:Ron me and Vodka are there Sat. Do you think it’s winnable based on tonight? Agreed re funding for personnel but can we trust TW/AW to spend it wisely?
If we can keep our shape like we did tonight Nick I think we can win on Saturday but we need to do a lot more in the final third and a good partner with Styche would make a helluva difference.Not sure what formation TW will use with Collins out but if Trotman is fit I would go 442 as Browney, Tez and Josh Heaton looked pretty solid and we just need a RB, either Trotman or Marrs.
No denying Saturday is massive and I honestly think we need another signing so over to Tommy and our board.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:17 pm

But it is true to say that yet again at key moments we defended poorly. Dont know how many times you could have written that over the past few months.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:20 pm

Quaker0006 wrote:To say we were awful is ridiculous. We played well in large parts of the game, same as we did against York. Im as concerned as anyone about the defensive mistake, but im been mildly encouraged by recent performance. Play at tonights level and we will beat lesser teams
But we don't. We always screw up against the lesser teams, so saying "If we play like that against lesser teams we'll be fine," is utterly pointless and cliched, bordering on vacuous.

Once again we've screwed up when we should have got something out of the game. Salford weren't good so let's not have any "We pushed the league leaders close."

Once again we're none the wiser about what Wright's strategy is. Evidently he doesn't have one.

Once again we're making the same defensive errors.

And once again I'm left asking the question - how long does he get? A relegation would be dreadful - we can't afford it to happen.

Given his record is comparable to Todd and Staunton, I don't think even the most ardent Wright supporter can say with any confidence that he was the correct appointment. The only thing worse than making a bad appointment is failing to rectify it.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quaker0006

Post by Quaker0006 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:29 pm

If
Darlogramps wrote:
Quaker0006 wrote:To say we were awful is ridiculous. We played well in large parts of the game, same as we did against York. Im as concerned as anyone about the defensive mistake, but im been mildly encouraged by recent performance. Play at tonights level and we will beat lesser teams
But we don't. We always screw up against the lesser teams, so saying "If we play like that against lesser teams we'll be fine," is utterly pointless and cliched, bordering on vacuous.

Once again we've screwed up when we should have got something out of the game. Salford weren't good so let's not have any "We pushed the league leaders close."

Once again we're none the wiser about what Wright's strategy is. Evidently he doesn't have one.

And once again I'm left asking the question - how long does he get? A relegation would be dreadful - we can't afford it to happen.

Given his record is comparable to Todd and Staunton, I don't think even the most ardent Wright supporter can say with any confidence that he was the correct appointment. The only thing worse than making a bad appointment is failing to rectify it.
I will offer my opinion same as everyone else. If you dont like it fine but dont start that personal stuff with me.

To sack a manager after 10 games is crazy. Not only that we cant afford it.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:31 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:Hard core fans again tonight
How many of them?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:35 pm

Quaker0006 wrote:If
Darlogramps wrote:

I will offer my opinion same as everyone else. If you dont like it fine but dont start that personal stuff with me.

What? Where have I been personal? Genuinely I want you tell me where in that reply I made a personal remark.

On Wright - what's crazier? Sacking a failing manager after 10 games, or keeping him on out of embarrassment?

Quaker0006

Post by Quaker0006 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:42 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

What? Where have I been personal? Genuinely I want you tell me where in that reply I made a personal remark.

On Wright - what's crazier? Sacking a failing manager after 10 games, or keeping him on out of embarrassment?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Darlogramps wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
vacuous generally meaning mindless or lacking intelligence.

Im not particularly a TW fan but 10 games to establish himself? Hes not had an easy run of games. I would think if we get beat Saturday then even biggest fans of him will start to turn.
Last edited by Quaker0006 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:43 pm

Record so far:

Won - 1.
Drew - 1.
Lost - 8.

Goals For - 13.
Goals Against - 24.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:43 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

“Vacuous” - I’d say that was personal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:56 pm

Quaker0006 wrote: vacuous generally meaning mindless or lacking intelligence.

Im not particularly a TW fan but 10 games to establish himself? Hes not had an easy run of games. I would think if we get beat Saturday then even biggest fans of him will start to turn.
Vacuous being a reference to the lazy phrase "If we play like we did tonight we'll beat lesser teams," repeated more than once in this thread by different people. It's meaningless nonsense.

It was a criticism of the opinion. You're being ridiculous and pathetic if you think that's a personal attack.

On Wright- can we stop using the difficult run of games as an excuse? Regardless of fixtures, that squad of players is better than a run of 1-1-8.

And more so, it's the lack of progress towards a coherent style of play. It's failure to establish a regular starting XI. It's the repeated defensive mistakes. It's the fragility which sees us collapse in the 2nd half of games.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:58 pm

Well I thought we played pretty well. Started off with a clear shape and tactic. Had to change because of the injury but we kept our shape well generally, which is something we haven't done consistently.

Mills had his best game yet - more of that please and he'll be an asset. Salfords goals were very good finishes. The nature of the defeat hurts - the last minute winner and the penalty miss (the less said about that the better), but there were positives tonight. Those positives need to be taken into Saturdays match, and built on further, and if we can do that I'm confident we'll pick up a result at Alfreton.