Darlington FC V Salford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Re: Darlington FC V Salford

Post by grimsbyquaker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:25 am

TW and RS came over well in their interviews. I’d love nothing more than a big turnaround in our fortunes, starting this weekend. I have to believe TW is still the man for the job (he was the only candidate by the sounds of it). At least he’s now recognised that we’re in a scrap and there’s been no scapegoating. Roll on Saturday

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:34 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:GH I hope you’re right. I’d love TW to turn it round but our record is woeful. I fear something will have to give if we come home empty handed on Saturday

Are you implying that the manager gets sacked? If so I disagree.

It would mean yet another 3 or 4 week wait with no manager - and then who would we end up with? How long would it take to settle the players down yet again? How much would it all cost? It's not a good idea.

Also in one of your other posts you say that if we go down we will never come back up ( or words to that effect) but, why? I can't see many fans falling away, we've made the transition to B.Meadows and sorted the "Gray" issue out. I reckon that we won't go down but if we do it won't prove terminal.

I know we're in a bad place, I know results have been dire, but yet another change would be counter productive.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:35 am

SFG wrote:Background screaming on the PA system after Salford scored their second goal didn't sound too good? What was that about?
There were some Salford fans or possibly directors stood on the balcony, next to where the commentary was being done. They'd make pricks of themselves during the game, having a go at our management duo. When they scored they gave it large and there was a bit of animosity from Darlo fans further along the balcony. Probably sounded a lot worse than it actually was.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:37 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:TW and RS came over well in their interviews. I’d love nothing more than a big turnaround in our fortunes, starting this weekend. I have to believe TW is still the man for the job (he was the only candidate by the sounds of it).
He wasn't.

And if you think Wright's incessant clichefest was impressive, to put it politely, I think you're easily pleased.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:39 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote: I know we're in a bad place, I know results have been dire, but yet another change would be counter productive.
Why? Surely it's sillier to keep an obviously failing manager in place. Rectify the mistake quickly, rather than letting him cause more damage.

Brown and Turnbull did much better when they were in charge.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
SFG wrote:Background screaming on the PA system after Salford scored their second goal didn't sound too good? What was that about?
There were some Salford fans or possibly directors stood on the balcony, next to where the commentary was being done. They'd make pricks of themselves during the game, having a go at our management duo. When they scored they gave it large and there was a bit of animosity from Darlo fans further along the balcony. Probably sounded a lot worse than it actually was.
Not the nicest bunch of fans you would welcome to BM, the idiot on the loudspeaker, the damage to the away dugout, rubbish tipped into the car park, and did the management duo not notice the damage to the dugout and who caused it? Everything you would expect from those classless low life's, really horrible bunch.Come on Harrogate.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:27 pm

changing managers now must surely be dictated by the contracts TW and AW are on?

if it costs more to break them than potential cost of relegation I'd imagine DJ will stick with them.

we may also be paying TW and AW low salaries - or what we can realistically afford. Ergo - getting rid of them means we are in the market for similar inexperienced managers based on the wages we can offer.

depends who else is out there - but the record so far is dreadful.

TW and AW should try 5-4-1 with the express instructions to not concede. full stop. Styche pinching a goal on the break or stealing a goal from a set piece being a bonus.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:31 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote: I know we're in a bad place, I know results have been dire, but yet another change would be counter productive.
Why? Surely it's sillier to keep an obviously failing manager in place. Rectify the mistake quickly, rather than letting him cause more damage.

Did they? I didnt go to Nuneaton but apparently we were dreadful there under those two against Tommys team!
quaker4life wrote:Yes indeed we showed Salford up tonight, we made them look so bad they won.
quaker4life wrote:When you look at Salford's results this season they haven't really battered teams, particularly away and you can see why despite not being on top form tonight they still won but good teams aways find a way.
Make your mind up, we either made them look bad they sneaked a win or they are a good team that always find a way to sneak wins.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:36 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

We were shocking under Brown & Turnbull, at least we are playing better in the last few games than we did under them.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

We were shocking under Brown & Turnbull, at least we are playing better in the last few games than we did under them.
What was "shocking" about the Stockport and Bradford PA games Pete?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

To be fair we deserved a win against Stockport before we switched off (again) and against Bradford we were very lucky in the end to get the 3 points. Better than usual performances granted, but so have been the performances against York and Salford but without the deserved points.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:51 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Did they? I didnt go to Nuneaton but apparently we were dreadful there under those two against Tommys team!
Right, so you weren't at the game but are going to pretend you're informed enough anyway. And you've picked the one game where we performed badly. What about the Stockport and Bradford PA games, where we performed quite well?

So the only example you can give to say Wright is better than Brown and Turnbull is second-hand and a one-off game. Hardly a compelling argument.

You can't just be selective about your examples to make a point, particularly when you weren't at the game anyway!
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:52 pm

Darlogramps wrote: Right, so you weren't at the game but felt the need to comment anyway. And you've picked the one game where we performed badly. What about the Stockport and Bradford PA games, where we performed quite well? You can't just be selective about your examples to prove a point, particularly when you weren't at the game anyway!
Because I know people who were there and they all said we were abysmal which you confirm yourself in your reply. Problem with that?? Or are you just being argumentative with anyone who doesnt follow the darlogramps way of thinking and who can pick holes in your opinions too?
Last edited by loan_star on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:53 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

We gave away a silly goal like we've been doing all year (not just under TW).

I understand your reasoning for wanting TW sacked, but answer me this. How or who is going to pay him off? (and I don't want to hear that, it could be more costly if we keep him stuff as a lot of fans who I've asked the same question have said because it's not an answer). I can't see where we'd get the money from, so talking of a sacking is a bit pointless if we can't afford it.

...I'll await the Darlo Gramps review of my post

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:02 pm

D_F_C wrote: We gave away a silly goal like we've been doing all year (not just under TW).

I understand your reasoning for wanting TW sacked, but answer me this. How or who is going to pay him off? (and I don't want to hear that, it could be more costly if we keep him stuff as a lot of fans who I've asked the same question have said because it's not an answer).
Eh? That doesn't make sense. It very much is an answer. If Wright stays he'll get us relegated, I'm certain of it. There's nothing he's done in his managerial career, or his time at Darlington, to say he'll do otherwise.

If we go down, we're stuck in a lower division, with lower revenues but with a group of players who we need to shift, but can't because they're on two-year deals. So it would be massively costly to keep him on.

If someone is obviously failing (and with eight defeats in 10, there's no other way to describe his performance), it is madness to keep him.
D_F_C wrote: I can't see where we'd get the money from, so talking of a sacking is a bit pointless if we can't afford it.
This is something I've stated in the past, although again, if it clearly isn't working, at some point DJ will have to have the conversation with Tommy. Ideally Wright would recognise it's not working and walk away, or they can come to an amicable arrangement.

The crux of the matter is that Wright at this moment is clearly failing. He took over a mid-table side and has taken us into the relegation zone. We can't keep him on out of embarrassment.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:04 pm

I can't see Tommy quitting. And an amicable deal costs £££. Which we don't have. I certainly don't expect DJ or JT to put their hands in their own pockets (again).

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:04 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

So is that your suggested solution to the current managerial failings as seen by you ?

I seem to recall that Brown was kicking his heels at the time unable to play for medical reasons.

What makes you think they would like to take over, if indeed it is your preferred option.?

From time to time you have expressed concern for the health of others on this site, similarly when it suits you have resorted to personal insults. I site your post on "public meeting thread 11/12/2017 as an example.

Given your insistence to have the last word, phrase or input and force you opinion upon others are you not concerned that you are starting to display ultra Narcissistic tendencies?

So much so that you will be unable to stop yourself from retaliating

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:08 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote: Right, so you weren't at the game but felt the need to comment anyway. And you've picked the one game where we performed badly. What about the Stockport and Bradford PA games, where we performed quite well? You can't just be selective about your examples to prove a point, particularly when you weren't at the game anyway!
Because I know people who were there and they all said we were abysmal which you confirm yourself in your reply. Problem with that?? Or are you just being argumentative with anyone who doesnt follow the darlogramps way of thinking and who can pick holes in your opinions too?
You're so tedious. Whenever you're questioned you resort to personal attacks. It's boring. Read through my post. I've questioned your opinion because it's second-hand and the only example you have. It's massively flawed. At no point did I launch a personal attack, so it reflects badly on you that you've just gone after my character.

I mean, imagine arguing with people who have a different opinion. It's shocking behaviour. How dare I have a different opinion and then express it on a messageboard.

In no way have you provided any sort of argument to say Brown and Turnbull are a worse option. In their games in charge we should have beaten Stockport, and did beat one of the play-off contenders.

More than that, we looked solid, better organised and more capable of picking up results than we do under Tommy Wright. Nuneaton was said to be bad - but was it any worse than Gainsborough? And Wright is meant to be the more experienced manager, so it's worse coming from him surely.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:12 pm

tezza wrote:
So is that your suggested solution to the current managerial failings as seen by you ?

I seem to recall that Brown was kicking his heels at the time unable to play for medical reasons.

What makes you think they would like to take over, if indeed it is your preferred option.?

From time to time you have expressed concern for the health of others on this site, similarly when it suits you have resorted to personal insults. I site your post on "public meeting thread 11/12/2017 as an example.

Given your insistence to have the last word, phrase or input and force you opinion upon others are you not concerned that you are starting to display ultra Narcissistic tendencies?

You've posed a question, so I'm going to reply. Go cry about that if you want.

Would Brown and Turnbull be ideal? No, but pragmatically, I think it's a better solution than keeping an obviously failing Tommy Wright. They took over in October, so I see no reason why they wouldn't do so again. Their record wasn't as disastrous as Wright's is.

Again, why like loan_star, have you chosen to make a personal attack? All I've said is I don't think Wright should take charge. Now you're going through old posts to make personal attacks, then attempting to take the moral high ground about it. That's massively hypocritical and very peculiar behaviour.

It's very unusual to ask me a question on Brown and Turnbull, and then say I'm a narcissist if I choose to respond.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:22 pm

In fairness, the BPA game was the only one Brown and Turnbull won and by that point the new managers had been appointed and had addressed the players before the game in the dressing room before kick off. Doesn't make our recent run any more palatable but it makes the comparison a bit tenuous.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 pm

this is great.......can you guys hold off for a few mins while I nip to Sainsburys local for some popcorn :) :) :)

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
tezza wrote:

Would Brown and Turnbull be ideal? No, but pragmatically, I think it's a better solution than keeping an obviously failing Tommy Wright. They took over in October, so I see no reason why they wouldn't do so again. Their record wasn't as disastrous as Wright's is.

Again, why like loan_star, have you chosen to make a personal attack? All I've said is I don't think Wright should take charge. Now you're going through old posts to make personal attacks, then attempting to take the moral high ground about it. That's massively hypocritical and very peculiar behaviour.

It's very unusual to ask me a question on Brown and Turnbull, and then say I'm a narcissist if I choose to respond.

As I said you cannot desist.. point made...

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:39 pm

Brown and Turnbull are players and need to be 100% focused on that - they also have jobs too!

This is daft.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:39 pm

tezza wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
tezza wrote:

As I said you cannot desist.. point made...

No personal attack ... just a considered observation on your behaviour and desire to appear superior.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:41 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
banktopp wrote:As it appears nobody wants the job then we will have to let the two present temporaryplayer managers carry on. Wage bill must have dropped dramatically since Gray and his entourage buggered off, which should allow the bringing in of a couple of additional players. It isn't going to take much to turn the season round. We have some good players but our tactics under Gray became too predictable. Give Brown and Turnbull the job till end of season, Christmas at least.
On what basis? Against Nuneaton we looked as disorganised as ever. Even onewayup said the permanent job is a step too far for them.

This is exactly the kind of short-term thinking we need to be rid of as a club. Giving it to two people with no track record for a few months is not the way to build up the club. What if results carry on as they are? Do we appoint someone else in January?

We can't be promoted because of our ground so there's no rush to appoint anyone. Let's take the time to ensure we have the right person to build us up over the coming years.

I don't understand the desperation from supporters to get someone in place.

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:44 pm

banktopp wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
banktopp wrote:As it appears nobody wants the job then we will have to let the two present temporaryplayer managers carry on. Wage bill must have dropped dramatically since Gray and his entourage buggered off, which should allow the bringing in of a couple of additional players. It isn't going to take much to turn the season round. We have some good players but our tactics under Gray became too predictable. Give Brown and Turnbull the job till end of season, Christmas at least.
On what basis? Against Nuneaton we looked as disorganised as ever. Even onewayup said the permanent job is a step too far for them.

This is exactly the kind of short-term thinking we need to be rid of as a club. Giving it to two people with no track record for a few months is not the way to build up the club. What if results carry on as they are? Do we appoint someone else in January?

We can't be promoted because of our ground so there's no rush to appoint anyone. Let's take the time to ensure we have the right person to build us up over the coming years.

hoist by own petard ..... springs to mind

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm

tezza wrote: No personal attack ... just a considered observation on your behaviour and desire to appear superior.
:lol: :lol:

You call me names and then claim it's not a personal attack. You could have questioned me on Brown and Turnbull and left it at that.

To make a personal attack on someone and expect them not to respond is weird behaviour. Your desperation to have a go at me personally is only making you look foolish.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:52 pm

D_F_C wrote: ....I understand your reasoning for wanting TW sacked, but answer me this. How or who is going to pay him off? (and I don't want to hear that, it could be more costly if we keep him stuff as a lot of fans who I've asked the same question have said because it's not an answer). I can't see where we'd get the money from, so talking of a sacking is a bit pointless if we can't afford it.

...I'll await the Darlo Gramps review of my post

If he is on a contract now to be paid £x per month for the next Y months, then sacking him doesn't automatically entitle him to a lump sum. Darlington could continue to pay him £x per month for the remainder of his contract.

It may or may not be cheaper to do this than to deal with a relegation

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:58 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
tezza wrote: No personal attack ... just a considered observation on your behaviour and desire to appear superior.
:lol: :lol:

You call me names and then claim it's not a personal attack. You could have questioned me on Brown and Turnbull and left it at that.

To make a personal attack on someone and expect them not to respond is weird behaviour. Your desperation to have a go at me personally is only making you look foolish.
Is it?

Your u turn on Brown & Turnbull suggests you do not require any assistance to appear so.

Narcissism is more a condition than a name ... but have it your way

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:59 pm

banktopp wrote:
Darlogramps wrote: On what basis? Against Nuneaton we looked as disorganised as ever. Even onewayup said the permanent job is a step too far for them.

Fair point - but.....

1) Things have moved on since October. We didn't get the right person - we got a poor, failing manager. So because of that poor decision, we have to change the strategy.

2) You've taken the post out of context. It was in response to a post suggesting they should get the job to December. As you can say I said that would be pointless when we had the money to get a decent permanent manager. That has now changed.

3) I've never said Brown and Turnbull would be the ideal option. But given we're short on money and probably less attractive a proposition than we were three months ago, pragmatically, I think they could be no worse than Wright.

4) While not an ideal option, they did ok in their games in charge. Far better than Wright is doing.

My ideal choice would be Chris Hardy. But would he be likely to leave Whitby for a club in a relegation battle - probably not. And would we pay out the money anyway? Probably not.

Add in all of the context and all of a sudden your attempt to be clever has fallen apart.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.