Reserves

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jonn
Team Supported: Darlington

Reserves

Post by jonn » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:25 pm

Darlington Reserves seem to be putting in some decent results lately. Surprised they never seem to get a mention on this site, if only to spotlight any latent talent down there among the Wearsiders - heaven knows we could use some.
Anyone got more info?

Darlo_Pete

Re: Reserves

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:37 pm

I know they've scored scored 13 in the last 2 games, so we must have a striker or two that knows where the net is.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:08 pm

I’m sure Saunders could bag a hat full at that level, it’s FIVE divisions below where we are playing and 2 below the league where we scored a bazillion goals and even Leon Scott hit double figures for the season.

It’s like saying I’ve just scored 12 in the back garden

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:26 pm

divas wrote:I’m sure Saunders could bag a hat full at that level, it’s FIVE divisions below where we are playing and 2 below the league where we scored a bazillion goals and even Leon Scott hit double figures for the season.

It’s like saying I’ve just scored 12 in the back garden
Thus, what is the purpose of the reserves? Would we not be better served having players on a dual contract with a team in the Northern League or Evo Stik League?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:27 am

Dunno. The reserves was Martin Gray's idea/demand - seemed to give MG football academy players somewhere to play - not sure about now.

coles

Post by coles » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:10 am

For me the reserves is a place where our under 18's can graduate into adult football it's self funding so it does us no harm as it costs us nothing or at least it should cost us nothing as he players pay subs etc.
Where I feel we should develop links is with Darlington RA and Newton Aycliffe if we have players who need some match practice we should loan those players to Darlo RA and Newton Aycliffe Bishop etc to get 90mins and game time it also helps develop our reputation in the local area which despite all the success was not great as a result of the way MG conducted his business

bga

Post by bga » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:53 pm

lo36789 wrote:Dunno. The reserves was Martin Gray's idea/demand - seemed to give MG football academy players somewhere to play - not sure about now.
I asked a question about the future of the Reserves at a Netcafe after MG left. Had a quick look on the Club site see if I could find it, but gave up after a few minutes! From what I recall Club stated they would continue with the Reserves and in answer to my question as to when any players might graduate through to the First team I think the answer was that a couple of players (no names were mentioned) were expected to break into the First team in 12 (make that 9 now!) months or so.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:56 pm

bga wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Dunno. The reserves was Martin Gray's idea/demand - seemed to give MG football academy players somewhere to play - not sure about now.
I asked a question about the future of the Reserves at a Netcafe after MG left. Had a quick look on the Club site see if I could find it, but gave up after a few minutes! From what I recall Club stated they would continue with the Reserves and in answer to my question as to when any players might graduate through to the First team I think the answer was that a couple of players (no names were mentioned) were expected to break into the First team in 12 (make that 9 now!) months or so.
One of the two was highly rated by Gray appearing in the friendly v Newcastle U23's. Wouldn't be surprised if Gray tried to sign him.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:39 pm

I found the answer now it read. "Yes we are committed to our Reserve Team, and we have 2 individuals we believe can progress to the First Team in the next two seasons."

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:54 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
bga wrote:
One of the two was highly rated by Gray appearing in the friendly v Newcastle U23's. Wouldn't be surprised if Gray tried to sign him.
York have put 7 days in for Vinny Steels.

Not on a contract as under 17 so just up to the lad if he wants to sign for Gray.

Gray has looked after him for at least 2 years so no doubt will sign. I guess similar to Glover signing for us.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:08 pm

Really wish Gray would just do one, we had high hopes for this lad according to DJ so this is yet another case of Gray picking our players off.Cannot stand the man to be honest.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:21 pm

Gray brought Steels to the club at the start of this season

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:26 pm

divas wrote:Gray brought Steels to the club at the start of this season
He had been to a number of our games last season also, having a kick about before the game etc. Gray keeping him happy so that he would hopefully sign for us.

Gray was nervous he would lose him, the lad probably deserves the chance at a full time club although with York's issues it may not be the best move for him, although maybe better than playing Wearside games each week.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:29 pm

Couldn't care less if he did, he is currently our player.Really hope he starts looking outside our area for players for a change but this is going to be a big problem for us going forward particularly with Spenny and S Shields in competition as well.This is a concern tbh.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:59 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Couldn't care less if he did, he is currently our player.Really hope he starts looking outside our area for players for a change but this is going to be a big problem for us going forward particularly with Spenny and S Shields in competition as well.This is a concern tbh.

As SLM says, we did the same thing with Glover at Nuneaton. He’s too young to be contracted, nothing we can do. Regarding local players we’d pretty much exhausted the area a while ago anyway. Much better value further afield. You can probably add Hartlepool to that list