Darlo v Chorley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlo v Chorley

Post by JE93 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:19 pm

Well if this one beats the weather atleast they've lost a star player in Haughton who's move to salford. We know they're a capable team as they ripped us apart early in the season under MG.

Tbh I'm still not sure what our winning formula is. Styche will score us goals but we need others to start contributing and if the defence keeps leaking it likely won't matter.

Game plan for me has to be similar to Boxing day again Harrogate. We were so compact and hard to break down at the back and when we got there ball we got forward quickly and got some good territory where we could camp out in the opposition half. I'm not entirely convinced by Mills upfront with Styche. But Saunders just isn't ready for anything more than bursts as a substitute, add another striker who can score goals and we might be a dangerous team. Atleast teams would have to think more about defending against us than just wave after wave against our brittle defence. I hope Trotman is back fit. We've been waiting months to get him back in the team after a decent start. Id go:

-------------------------- Pears ------------------------

Trotman --- Heaton --- Brown ----- Galbraith

Mills ------ Turnbull ------ Portas ---- Thompson

-------------------------- Syers --------------------------

------------------------- Styche ------------------------

Subs: Scott, Wheatley, Gillies, Saunders, Vaulks.

Depending on availability can swap Marrs for Trotman. Might as well bring Vaulks back. Doesn't seem to get a game where he is and we need a proper defensive option on the bench. Gillies and Mills are interchangeable neither of them is doing much so doesn't really matter. Gone for Syers as the attacking option to support Styche should drop back into midfield without the ball make us compact. Freedom to go play as a second striker when we win it back.

QUAKERMAN2

Re: Darlo v Chorley

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:49 pm

JE93 wrote:Well if this one beats the weather atleast they've lost a star player in Haughton who's move to salford. We know they're a capable team as they ripped us apart early in the season under MG.

Tbh I'm still not sure what our winning formula is. Styche will score us goals but we need others to start contributing and if the defence keeps leaking it likely won't matter.

Game plan for me has to be similar to Boxing day again Harrogate. We were so compact and hard to break down at the back and when we got there ball we got forward quickly and got some good territory where we could camp out in the opposition half. I'm not entirely convinced by Mills upfront with Styche. But Saunders just isn't ready for anything more than bursts as a substitute, add another striker who can score goals and we might be a dangerous team. Atleast teams would have to think more about defending against us than just wave after wave against our brittle defence. I hope Trotman is back fit. We've been waiting months to get him back in the team after a decent start. Id go:

Depending on availability can swap Marrs for Trotman. Might as well bring Vaulks back. Doesn't seem to get a game where he is and we need a proper defensive option on the bench. Gillies and Mills are interchangeable neither of them is doing much so doesn't really matter. Gone for Syers as the attacking option to support Styche should drop back into midfield without the ball make us compact. Freedom to go play as a second striker when we win it back.
In the absence of a new striker being brought in to partner Styche and replace Syers, agree with everything else in your post 100%.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:53 pm

JE93 wrote:Well if this one beats the weather atleast they've lost a star player in Haughton who's move to salford. We know they're a capable team as they ripped us apart early in the season under MG.

Weirdly, i am also in 100% full agreement.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:03 pm

H1987 wrote:

Weirdly, i am also in 100% full agreement.

I would go with Gillies instead of Mills and definitely Syers playing off Styche to try and give a little more of a goal threat

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:15 pm

Wish the game were down here in York not a single snow flake in sight..

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Today's Echo says Trotman will be available for tomorrow.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:45 pm

I most probably would be different formation to those above as from the away game Chorley walked through us so would pack midfield:-
Pears
Trotman - Heaton - Brown - Galbraith
Portus - turnbull - Syres - wheatley
Styche - Mills

Syres, Portus and Wheatley are all capable of getting forward and supporting the front two.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:52 pm

50 years wrote:I most probably would be different formation to those above as from the away game Chorley walked through us so would pack midfield:-
Pears
Styche - Mills

Syres, Portus and Wheatley are all capable of getting forward and supporting the front two.
A 4-4-2 with 4 centre midfielders!?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:01 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
50 years wrote:I most probably would be different formation to those above as from the away game Chorley walked through us so would pack midfield:-
Pears
Styche - Mills

A 4-4-2 with 4 centre midfielders!?
No, he's suggesting Portas on the right and Wheatley on the left from the looks of it.

Personally I'd swap Portas and Syers in that eleven, but players inclined to play narrow might make us a little less soft centred.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:41 am

Yes the four "midfielders" who can all tackle, contest the space, but able to break forward in support of the two forwards from the wings and in the centre. I would prefer Portus on the right wing as he has looked good at full back on that side but could swap the four about. For as those that were at the Chorley game will remember how easily they got around the wings and were dangerous with virtually every attack. I personally don't think we can afford "in this game" to have any players who wont get stuck in and contest ever bit of area.
Just my opinion of course and I am often wrong ;)

"Up the Quakers"