Darlington FC V Chorley Match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Chorley Match thread

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
AndyPark wrote:More than happy with a point against a very good Chorley side.
Close enough. That's one. Can we get a full house?
OK Gramps, let's have your post-match interview bingo now.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:04 pm

quakerste wrote:Possibility that a striker may be brought in next week.
What have you heard?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:12 pm

Massive game next week. I'll be there with the boy - it's his 10th birthday party! Much better than a bouncy castle party any day.
Hopefully Grimsby Quaker will be there and QUAKERMAN2. Quakerman can always drop his little piranha fish off at the historic Leamington Spa baths which is now an upmarket coffee house whilst he cheers us on.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:12 pm

Sometimes I don't recognise or understand how we are set up in defence. But what I do know is that frequently we are extremely stretched at the back, short of numbers and look like we're flying by the seat of our pants as huge gaps seem to open up when we are on the back foot or hit by counter attacks. The system has left us looking weak in defence with players who look uncomfortable trying to carry it out. We've seen it against the stronger sides and against the weaker sides, like Gainsborough. The blame for this only lies in one place and it is a really obvious weakness and one which costs us game after game.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:28 pm

She can't swim Adam so I will try and talk her into having a dip.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:32 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Sometimes I don't recognise or understand how we are set up in defence. But what I do know is that frequently we are extremely stretched at the back, short of numbers and look like we're flying by the seat of our pants as huge gaps seem to open up when we are on the back foot or hit by counter attacks. The system has left us looking weak in defence with players who look uncomfortable trying to carry it out. We've seen it against the stronger sides and against the weaker sides, like Gainsborough. The blame for this only lies in one place and it is a really obvious weakness and one which costs us game after game.

Same was happening under Gray funnily enough, has been for ages. He’s tried to shore it up by playing 3 more defensive midfielders (to some criticism) but the defenders seem to be all over the place at times which is why he obviously wants to play 3 at the back but the players we have don’t seem to be able to operate in that formation.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Don't know what to make of it all really, hugely positive pulling together day from the fans.

If we had got 3 points last week then I would have been delighted with the win. If I understood selection and formation changes I would be happy. I just don't get Wright changing from 4-4-2, 5-3-2 or 4-3-3 constantly and not convinced it helps a team struggling looking for some consistency.

On the other hand Wright seems to be able to sign some decent players and we certainly wouldn't have had Styche without him.

Proud, frustrated and worried that we can never see out a game.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:36 pm

The writing is on the wall I fear, and certainly will be if we don't win next week. Only North Ferriby have won fewer games than us. We've got a very tough February coming up and it seems unlikely we'll will any of those games. Not only will we be in the bottom three but we'll be cut adrift.

Wright had to sort our defence out as it is going to get us relegated, but he hasn't come anywhere close to doing so. He's on track to go down as our worst ever manager, which is a bit harsh on him. We can't afford to sack him so we'll just have to suck it up. Its years of financial mismangement (i.e. pouring way too much money into the playing side and stretching our resources beyond breaking point) that have landed us where we are now.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:39 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Sometimes I don't recognise or understand how we are set up in defence. But what I do know is that frequently we are extremely stretched at the back, short of numbers and look like we're flying by the seat of our pants as huge gaps seem to open up when we are on the back foot or hit by counter attacks. The system has left us looking weak in defence with players who look uncomfortable trying to carry it out. We've seen it against the stronger sides and against the weaker sides, like Gainsborough. The blame for this only lies in one place and it is a really obvious weakness and one which costs us game after game.
Totally agree, we never look comfortable with this system and just cannot see how we will ever have a clean sheet.Players like Tezz and Thommo seem confused and Thommo is completely wasted as a wing back.Teams are picking us off by putting balls into wide areas and we are conceding too many goals in these areas.Said it before and will say it again, why aren't we set up more defensively making us more solid as we will nick goals with Styche up front, time for ugly,scrapping 1-0 wins , may not be pretty but what the hell.Please Tommy, has to be 442 or 433 and scrap this confusing 3 at the back.
Vodka_Vic wrote:Massive game next week. I'll be there with the boy - it's his 10th birthday party! Much better than a bouncy castle party any day.
Hopefully Grimsby Quaker will be there and QUAKERMAN2. Quakerman can always drop his little piranha fish off at the historic Leamington Spa baths which is now an upmarket coffee house whilst he cheers us on.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:04 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Wright apologists' bingo -

When will we hear:

1) Would have taken a point beforehand.
2) We're improving.
3) If we play like that against the lesser teams, we'll be fine.
4) we go again

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

divas

Post by divas » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:40 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Not happy with a point at all!

The game was there to be won in last 15 against 10 men but Wright cost us a win in my opinion. He took off the two players, either of which could have been man of the match, but more importantly our two most creative players. Not only that he went 1 up front and played Saunders wide with Gillies. Seriously.... desperate for a win, last 15, let's go 1 up front instead of 2 against 10 men.

His decisions are a joke at times.

Agree, we desperately need support for Styche and if he gets injured we are knackered!
Last few games people have been crying for him to make subs when we’ve not had any real game changers on the bench. He brings on the winger that everyone was crying for against Salford and shock horror he does nothing

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:44 am

I have sensed that in the last few games that having got a lead in a game has not had quite the same effect as might have been expected in previous seasons when confidence was high. Yesterday's match had a similar look to last week's game where we not only had a lead but looked good enough to score more, but as the game wore on we began to close down our attacking options with some very panicked and wayward passing out of defence that began to bring greater pressure onto the defenders. A confident and winning team would see out these games but the jitters are never far away when you haven't won for a while. We badly need a couple of morale boosting thumping wins to get the show back on the road but where will the goals come from?

And btw I thought Thommo was easily my MOM, both attacking and defending with lots of positivity. If we could can that and feed it to several other players we might stand a chance of getting out of the fix we are in.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 am

Thing is we have Alan White a very experienced defender who if he was a bit younger would be first choice in the centre of defence, he goes to Spenny as a defensive coach, gets the chance to be TW number 2, one would assume his main part in the management set up would be sorting out the defence, so either he isn’t being listened to or he can’t sort it out. AW must be able to see this chopping and changing is causing problems, so again why isn’t he sorting it out. Yes at the end of the day TW is the manager and has the final say, but AW is no shrinking violet so he needs to get it sorted.

coles

Post by coles » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:09 am

For me it's clear the team is developing TW is a fan of 3-5-2 and he will go with this as is his prerogative the players need to buy into this or give up those nice contracts and go back to the northern league. It's a time for fighters digging in and grinding out results. What is clear is the lack of confidence in the team more from the players who have been here a while Tez look like a rabbit in the headlights Turnbull isn't half the player he was last year it's clear the players are frightened to make mistakes as the stakes are getting higher. I would love to see what would happen if we went 2-0 up against Leamington next week cos I feel we would go on to score 3 or 4 whereas when we are winning by one the players fear kicks in

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:23 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Thing is we have Alan White a very experienced defender who if he was a bit younger would be first choice in the centre of defence, he goes to Spenny as a defensive coach, gets the chance to be TW number 2, one would assume his main part in the management set up would be sorting out the defence, so either he isn’t being listened to or he can’t sort it out. AW must be able to see this chopping and changing is causing problems, so again why isn’t he sorting it out. Yes at the end of the day TW is the manager and has the final say, but AW is no shrinking violet so he needs to get it sorted.
It doesn’t matter what Alan White does during the week, if players are making the wrong decisions during games then it’s hardly his fault. And we haven’t been chopping and changing for the last dew weeks and this has helped but we are still getting caught out.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:59 am

I know TW never mentions the R word and says he is targeting a much higher finish than 4th bottom but I think most fans would snap your hand off to finish in that place. The way the league is starting to take shape and the games in hand on us for teams above and below and our dreadful run of form, then 2nd bottom is starting to look a realistic possibility.

TW's total winning ratio across the two sides he's managed this season now stands at 20% in league games..... 5 out of 25 games and just 1 of those while in charge of us. When you look at the February matches lined up, it just doesn't bode well for us at all.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:52 am

If we keep conceding 2 goals a game like we are, relegation is a certainty, we will never keep a clean sheet the way we are set up, massive gaps kept opening up down both wings which they exploited from the first minute and were even going for the win with 10 men so they must have fancied their chances.Just felt for the very first time coming away from the game that more than likely we will finish in the bottom 3 unless we have a complete change in our formation and go more defensive.If not,and the way teams around us have improved, then hate to say it but its R for me sadly.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:25 pm

Football is a confidence game, and at the moment the team has none so a couple of wins will be a big boost.
We need to remember that out of the back three Bown and Galbraith are from the Northern league 6 years ago - so are now older and possibly slower than they were, so not surprising that we do struggle at the back at times against tougher opposition, but that does not make them really bad players just having two out of the three in a back three makes it a touch difficult.
For the rest of the team I see that we are improving each game:-
Wheatley was my MoM yesterday,
Heaton is awesome for a young lad,
Trotman looks useful,
Feel sorry for Turnbull as it looks like he is taking our form personal and trying to sort it all himself and covering loads of ground chasing down which is affecting his form I believe (would like to see him sit back in holding position and directing the midfield more),
Thommo looks a new player since TW came in,
Scott had a solid game, although a few slips near the end that could have put us in trouble,
Mills improving every game - but looks bad injury as limping badly after the game
Styche, bit greedy at times when there are better options for him, but excellent,
Pears in goal did ok for someone dropped into the team.

Overall besides the several wasted long balls to no one and long throw in's going to their players, we saw some good passing and movement at times against a good team, while disappointed at not winning I am happy to get a point and believe we are starting to see us get out of this rut, really looking forward to going to the Leamington game.

A few mentions re Harvey on this board, but we have to remember this lad has not been through academy's etc and therefore is learning his trade "now" with us so plenty of improvement to come I believe. Saying that given the strength of Chorley defence I would have substituted Mills with Syers to bolster midfield rather than put Saunders on at that time, but know lots of fans would have complained as that would have been TW being too negative?

"Up the Quakers" and here's to our first win of 2018 next week :thumbup:

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:32 pm

50 years wrote:Saying that given the strength of Chorley defence I would have substituted Mills with Syers to bolster midfield rather than put Saunders on at that time, but know lots of fans would have complained as that would have been TW being too negative?:
This! Wright is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:07 pm

This downward spiral all started when we dropped the 1883 and returned to FC

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Talking to a Chorley fan yesterday and they were saying how tough this league is and that most teams that come up do well in the first year re us,BLYTH,SPENNY and second season find it hard. Also the amount of money some teams have.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:29 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Talking to a Chorley fan yesterday and they were saying how tough this league is and that most teams that come up do well in the first year re us,BLYTH,SPENNY and second season find it hard. Also the amount of money some teams have.
It's very much the crossroad league along with its Southern equivalent. You get a variety of clubs, those ex-league/CONF premier gambling on remaining full time, money bags teams that come from nowhere, fan-owned clubs that have climbed the pyramid & some that reach this level enjoy the experience and drop away after a season or two.

As yet I'm not convinced we are structured as a club to afford this division and the division below is where consolidation begins before having another bash at this league and possible promotion back to the CONF premier.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:30 pm

darlo reborn wrote:This downward spiral all started when we dropped the 1883 and returned to FC
Bizarre!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:17 pm

Just looking at our team yesterday, we have some really talented players, Tommy has brought in 4 permanent signings,Heaton is outstanding and reminds me of a young Gary Pallister when he played for us, Styche is one of the best strikers we have had, Trotman looks like he will be some player, jury still out on Mills though...does not look fit enough to me.Add Thommo, Wheatley, Brown, Galbraith and Turnbull and that makes for a solid looking set of players.The big problem is our 3 at the back formation not the team.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:55 pm

Sorry to disagree but I think Brown and Galbraith are out of there depth even though they always give 100%

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:11 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Sorry to disagree but I think Brown and Galbraith are out of there depth even though they always give 100%
I think Brown is struggling, but Galbraith didn't look out of place yesterday.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:38 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Sorry to disagree but I think Brown and Galbraith are out of there depth even though they always give 100%
Here we go again the Browny Haters... What about his distribution from the back yesterday I can name a couple of great cross field passes that found there target premier midfielders would be proud of...

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:40 pm

darlo reborn wrote:This downward spiral all started when we dropped the 1883 and returned to FC
We have gone up a league and teams have healthier budgets... What a statement

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:10 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
You must be watching a different game to me. If anything I thought Terry looked like he was off his game yesterday whereas Brown was decent, notably that last ditch tackle in the first half.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:46 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
You must be watching a different game to me. If anything I thought Terry looked like he was off his game yesterday whereas Brown was decent, notably that last ditch tackle in the first half.
Browny and Terry did OK yesterday, both had steady games but this new system is more the problem not the players.