GAINSBOROUGH vs LEAMINGTON Tonight

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

loan_star
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: GAINSBOROUGH vs LEAMINGTON Tonight

Post by loan_star » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Being competitive and saying "on another day we'd have won" is no longer satisfactory. It won't keep us up.
To be fair before you jumped in I was responding to Lucans post saying "I dont expect us to be world beaters but i do expect us to be competitive" which we have been in the last few games.
I refer you to my previous answers. Simply being competitive isn't enough at this stage.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Well done for stating the obvious :clap: ;)
We are heading the right direction though if we keep improving.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:40 pm

loan_star wrote: Well done for stating the obvious :clap: ;)
Now you're contradicting yourself. On the one hand you admit that being competitive isn't good enough if you don't get results (well done on that). But you're also defending Wright for .... not getting results but having a minor improvement in performances. Or put another, going from woeful to mediocre.

Answer me this - how long are you happy for this to go on? If we keep failing to pick up the results we need, at what point do you say enough is enough?

And is this "improvement" being overstated? I'd say it is. We failed to beat a dreadful Alfreton side and failed to win against a beatable Chorley team with 10 men.

It's hardly a resurgence. More that because Wright has been so inept and clueless up until now, anything that looks mildly organised is heralded as an "improvement." Meanwhile all the other sides around us continue to actually improve and pick up points.

But hey, so long as we're drawing at Alfreton, everything is all good.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:39 am

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:I dont expect us to be world beaters but i do expect us to be competitive. I think even TW would admit that we should be.
Dont you think that we have been in the last few games? We could quite easily have had a handful more points than we have got.
But we didn't. The season isn't decided on "could haves." If anything it shows further weakness. That we crumble in big moments (Talbot v Alfreton, not taking advantage of Chorley having 10 men, Styche's penalty). All individual errors that are symptomatic of a flawed approach.

This is a point I made last week. Wright's backers constantly talk about what we could have been and what we might be.That doesn't matter.

All that matters is the here and now. Wright has taken one team down, put another side in trouble and has us in a relegation battle as well. If we lose to Leamington, I think a lot of people will turn against Wright.
You ignored the point I was making, we have been more competitive these last few games and its just a fine margin between dropped points and gained points. For me we have improved and as coles says, its a confidence issue now and once we get that next 3 points hopefully that will give us the kick start we need.
We'd all better hope these competitive performances turn into points soon - to be honest we've taken far too long to get back to putting in competititve performances. That should've taken a month but it's taken three. We now urgently need to start turning these performances into points, which again, had it happened two months ago we'd be under far less pressure now.

Whether right or wrong, its rare in this day and age for a manager to be given three months to show an improvement in performance, let alone results.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:10 am

I couldn't sleep this morning so I had a look - Staunton won 4 in 25. Wright is really not far off that sort of win rate.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:15 am

tdk1 wrote:I couldn't sleep this morning so I had a look - Staunton won 4 in 25. Wright is really not far off that sort of win rate.
Wright is behind that. 1 win in 12. That would be 2 wins in 25 if it carried on.

Staunton of course managed to alienate everyone, demolish the confidence of a few promising youngsters and used about 6,000 players, so Wright is at least better than him on that front.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:26 am

TW's win ratio over 12 games is just over 8% (one game) while Staunton's over 25 games was 16% (4 wins). Colin Todd won one in 11 (9%) before he was sacked.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:37 am

A big problem for Wright (and Johnstone) is that he's acknowledged he has a squad full of decent players and a top-half budget.

So the question has to be asked, why is he getting so little from them in terms of results?

Either his judgement is wrong and he doesn't have as good a squad as he thinks/thought, or he's just not capable of organising them in a way that they can win matches.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:50 am

LoidLucan wrote:TW's win ratio over 12 games is just over 8% (one game) while Staunton's over 25 games was 16% (4 wins). Colin Todd won one in 11 (9%) before he was sacked.
Colin Todd was in trouble when he chose David 'penalty corner' Knight over Sam Russell...his judgement was tainted from that moment onwards.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:53 am

Don't get me wrong, for all I'm very critical of Wright and don't really have faith in him turning things round, he's not in the staunton mould of having a destructive effect on the whole club, and I quite like his signings and attitude to youth. But his record with a steadier squad in a lower division is worse than somebody who is widely considered our all time worst manager.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:23 pm

Out of curiosity, what was the Brown/Turnbull ratio?!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:29 pm

One in four, off the top of my head

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:30 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote: Well done for stating the obvious :clap: ;)
Now you're contradicting yourself. On the one hand you admit that being competitive isn't good enough if you don't get results (well done on that). But you're also defending Wright for .... not getting results but having a minor improvement in performances. Or put another, going from woeful to mediocre.

Answer me this - how long are you happy for this to go on? If we keep failing to pick up the results we need, at what point do you say enough is enough?

And is this "improvement" being overstated? I'd say it is. We failed to beat a dreadful Alfreton side and failed to win against a beatable Chorley team with 10 men.

It's hardly a resurgence. More that because Wright has been so inept and clueless up until now, anything that looks mildly organised is heralded as an "improvement." Meanwhile all the other sides around us continue to actually improve and pick up points.

But hey, so long as we're drawing at Alfreton, everything is all good.
How am I contradicting myself? I said performances are improving but they arent getting the results they deserve and if we keep improving then the results will start to come.
Fair enough, you want Wright sacked. What happens if they do that and we still dont get results? Sack the next man too?
Give Wright till the end of the season and then take stock, even if means relegation which I personally believe wont happen.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:33 pm

Brown and turnbull only had three games in charge, won one, drew one, lost one so win ratio of 33.33%.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:35 pm

Agree with a lot of the above frim gramps etc. I don't think Wrights signings have bee bad. In my opinion Trotman, Heaton and Styche have all improved us as a squad this season.

For me the main problem with Wright is he is trying to implement a very tough system to play mid way through the seasing when we don't quite have the right players to play it. 3-4-3 can be great if you have the wingbacks/wide midfielders who can 1) defend but also have the pace to cover up and down both sides. For me Trotman seems very capable of this. But galbraith isn't quick enough and Thompson is not a defender. Looking at our squad I think we're about 2 players away from being able to play the system effectively. Unfortunately our deficiency is all down the left hand side which leaves us woefully exposed. And when the players try to hard to correct it they get dragged towards the ball and it leaves out opposite flank exposed.

---------------------------- Goalkeeper --------------------------

-------------- Collins ----- Heaton ----- ????? -------------

Trotman ------- Turnbull ---- Portas -------- ???????

------------- Mills/Gillies ----------- Thompson ----------
-------------------------------- Styche -----------------------------

I have no problem him trying to implement the system. But do it in the summer when we have matches that don't matter and more time on the training pitch to get it right. And you have a greater opportunity to move players in and out.

For now. Go back to the way we were during Turnbull and browns 3 games in charge. 4-4-2 everyone knows their jobs and grind out results.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:40 pm

JE93 wrote:Agree with a lot of the above frim gramps etc. I don't think Wrights signings have bee bad. In my opinion Trotman, Heaton and Styche have all improved us as a squad this season.

For me the main problem with Wright is he is trying to implement a very tough system to play mid way through the seasing when we don't quite have the right players to play it. 3-4-3 can be great if you have the wingbacks/wide midfielders who can 1) defend but also have the pace to cover up and down both sides. For me Trotman seems very capable of this. But galbraith isn't quick enough and Thompson is not a defender. Looking at our squad I think we're about 2 players away from being able to play the system effectively. Unfortunately our deficiency is all down the left hand side which leaves us woefully exposed. And when the players try to hard to correct it they get dragged towards the ball and it leaves out opposite flank exposed.

---------------------------- Goalkeeper --------------------------

-------------- Collins ----- Heaton ----- ????? -------------

Trotman ------- Turnbull ---- Portas -------- ???????

------------- Mills/Gillies ----------- Thompson ----------
-------------------------------- Styche -----------------------------

I have no problem him trying to implement the system. But do it in the summer when we have matches that don't matter and more time on the training pitch to get it right. And you have a greater opportunity to move players in and out.

For now. Go back to the way we were during Turnbull and browns 3 games in charge. 4-4-2 everyone knows their jobs and grind out results.
I think Galbraith is just the type of player who could play on the left of a back three effectively as long as there's a proper left-wingback in the side.

When we're in posession he can step out and leave Heaton and Collins covering and hopefully get into positions to deliver balls into the box from deep.

That said, I'd play four four fucking two - a system that everyone is familiar with and comfortable with, and if Wright plays that then he at least can't be blamed for over complicating things.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:46 pm

Game after game we've looked ridiculously exposed by the defensive formation and tactics. I've seen every game with TW in charge and it's been a real feature of our displays. We just havent been solid enough and frankly teams across the spectrum from brackley to gainsboro couldnt quite believe their luck. 27 goals conceded in TW's 12 games is a big clue.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:29 pm

Number of goals conceded under TW has been unacceptable but it is showing signs of improvement, rather than conceding 3 goals every single game were now conceding 2. Maybe soon we’ll only concede 1 and the matches will then start to become winnable.

There’s certainly been a more defensive set up in recent games with Scott coming in and offering a bit of protection to the back 4 - before that we were far too gung ho so not sure it’s a defensive formation and tactics that is causing us to leak goals.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:12 pm

4 4 2 we have a chance of staying up, any other system and we will be relegated.
We just don't have the players for any other set up.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:25 am

loan_star wrote:
How am I contradicting myself? I said performances are improving but they arent getting the results they deserve and if we keep improving then the results will start to come.
Fair enough, you want Wright sacked. What happens if they do that and we still dont get results? Sack the next man too?
Give Wright till the end of the season and then take stock, even if means relegation which I personally believe wont happen.

I've already explained how you're contradicting yourself. It's all there in the previous post. If you can't digest that then you're not terribly bright.

You're making it sound like some sort of heroic turnaround. A draw at awful Alfreton and failing to beat 10-man Chorley at home is not impressive. Not for a side Wright claims could be challenging for the play-offs. It's only because Wright has been so terrible that two draws seems like an improvement. It's still way off where we should be.

As for sacking Wright, I've already explained that a man with his shocking record should not have been appointed in the first place.

If you appoint competent managers (Or at least, avoid appointing someone who's relegated one NLN club and put another full time club in a relegation battle), you don't have to keep sacking them.

But intriguingly, you've said you'll stick with a failing manager no matter what, even if he relegates us. That is utter madness. Wright's record in his three months in charge has been woeful, everyone agrees.

To say you'd accept another three months of it no matter what is just bonkers.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:21 am

We do seem to be forgetting that apart from looking generally useless and having a generally poor track record, that Wright does actually also have a promotion on his CV as well.

Anyway, we are going to beat Leamington and Blyth, so things will look a bit better then, hopefully.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:17 am

Quakerz wrote:We do seem to be forgetting that apart from looking generally useless and having a generally poor track record, that Wright does actually also have a promotion on his CV as well.

Anyway, we are going to beat Leamington and Blyth, so things will look a bit better then, hopefully.
A promotion which turned into a relegation a year later. And then he was sacked for a poor start back in the NPL.

His record suggest he's not a NLN level manager.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:55 am

Darlogramps wrote:Answer me this - how long are you happy for this to go on? If we keep failing to pick up the results we need, at what point do you say enough is enough?
Not directed to me, but could it be losing 2 nil at home to the woeful North Ferriby Utd on the 17th March. Refereed by Mr T.Kettle junior - this game sees Thompson sent off for diving, Alan White being arrested and Styche missing a rabona style penalty in front of the Tin Shed.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:42 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:

I've already explained how you're contradicting yourself. It's all there in the previous post. If you can't digest that then you're not terribly bright.

You're making it sound like some sort of heroic turnaround. A draw at awful Alfreton and failing to beat 10-man Chorley at home is not impressive. Not for a side Wright claims could be challenging for the play-offs. It's only because Wright has been so terrible that two draws seems like an improvement. It's still way off where we should be.

As for sacking Wright, I've already explained that a man with his shocking record should not have been appointed in the first place.

If you appoint competent managers (Or at least, avoid appointing someone who's relegated one NLN club and put another full time club in a relegation battle), you don't have to keep sacking them.

But intriguingly, you've said you'll stick with a failing manager no matter what, even if he relegates us. That is utter madness. Wright's record in his three months in charge has been woeful, everyone agrees.

To say you'd accept another three months of it no matter what is just bonkers.

Darlogramps in "being condescending towards someone with a different opinion" shock.
Its my opinion, and that of others too.
As for "not being terribly bright", what I have achieved in my life tends to prove that you are talking rubbish.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:47 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Answer me this - how long are you happy for this to go on? If we keep failing to pick up the results we need, at what point do you say enough is enough?
Not directed to me, but could it be losing 2 nil at home to the woeful North Ferriby Utd on the 17th March. Refereed by Mr T.Kettle junior - this game sees Thompson sent off for diving, Alan White being arrested and Styche missing a rabona style penalty in front of the Tin Shed.

Forgetting the result...the highlights of an afternoon like that would make interesting viewing

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks Loid, that makes them out most successful management team of three this season then?!!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:00 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps in "being condescending towards someone with a different opinion" shock.
As for "not being terribly bright", what I have achieved in my life tends to prove that you are talking rubbish.
Evidently I've touched a nerve. Whenever I get under your skin you just start having a go at me rather than defending your point.

See ya! Image

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:42 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Evidently I've touched a nerve. Whenever I get under your skin you just start having a go at me rather than defending your point.

See ya! Image

No, I just cant be arsed wasting too much time on the subject since we will never agree. Got more to my life than laboring a point on here like you do.
Besides which, it was you that was condescending towards me, I merely pointed out the fact. If thats having a go then what do you say about your own conduct?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:27 pm

No, you just say the same thing every time you can't beat me in an argument. You get stuck so have a go at me personally instead.

My conduct is perfectly fine. If you kept your toys in the pram we could have a decent discussion. It's you who derails things by making the discussion about me.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:53 pm

Darlogramps wrote:No, you just say the same thing every time you can't beat me in an argument. You get stuck so have a go at me personally instead.

My conduct is perfectly fine. If you kept your toys in the pram we could have a decent discussion. It's you who derails things by making the discussion about me.

Haha have you heard yourself? Won the argument? You have won fuck all, you just don’t accept others have a different opinion. It’s just some of us know when they are pissing in the wind when trying to have a debate with someone who thinks he is never wrong.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:22 pm

ImageImageImage

This too much fun. So much for this by the way.....
loan_star wrote: No, I just cant be arsed wasting too much time on the subject since we will never agree. Got more to my life than laboring a point on here like you do.
Put your toys back in the pram and stop swearing and ranting. It's embarrassing that you've got so upset by what someone says on the internet.

And in your foul-mouthed rant, you can't now take the moral high ground about discussing the people.

You're an embarrassment fella.