Chester

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Chester

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:10 am

Just reading how they are in serious financial trouble

https://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/spor ... t-14204862

Some interesting figures - 450k a year budget (enough for...a relegation battle) on average crowds of 1800. They had a 100k reserve which is now being depleted, and need to find 85k a month for running costs for the rest of the season. Seems to be a case of giving a few players ridiculous contracts (where have I heard that before). Playing budget to be cut to 250k.

Sounds like the type of situation we would have ended up in if we'd kept spending as we did. Probably some lessons for us to learn at some point in the future (obviously not this season...) regarding how difficult it is to compete in the conference as a fan owned club on gates of < 2000 - and they haven't had to try and build a ground either.

Anyway, hope they sort themselves out.

spen666

Re: Chester

Post by spen666 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:19 am

al_quaker wrote:Just reading how they are in serious financial trouble

https://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/spor ... t-14204862

Some interesting figures - 450k a year budget (enough for...a relegation battle) on average crowds of 1800. They had a 100k reserve which is now being depleted, and need to find 85k a month for running costs for the rest of the season. Seems to be a case of giving a few players ridiculous contracts (where have I heard that before). Playing budget to be cut to 250k.

Sounds like the type of situation we would have ended up in if we'd kept spending as we did. Probably some lessons for us to learn at some point in the future (obviously not this season...) regarding how difficult it is to compete in the conference as a fan owned club on gates of < 2000 - and they haven't had to try and build a ground either.

Anyway, hope they sort themselves out.

not sure how reliable the figures quoted in the article are.

If they need to find £85k per month to finish season, then this would suggest an expenditure of around a million pounds a year. Not sure how this equtes to a budget of £450k.

EDIT:
I have seen suggestions elsewhere (but unclear) that the £85k figure is to get to the end of the season.

Still figures are frightening
Last edited by spen666 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:38 am

50% of expenditure on players? Possibly a little low, but going from our accounts just published we spent almost as much on non-playing staff, rent and matchday costs as we did on players, so I suppose it could be a believable figure.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:21 pm

It really is a good example to us. Unfortunately I don't think it's the last of teams like that struggling. IMO sky, bt, etc have helped turn football from a game made by the people, into a game for the rich