Leamington v Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leamington v Darlo

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:56 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:I listened on the mighty darlofansradio and I have to say that the win was never in doubt.

Will this quieten Darlogramps a little?
Probably not as this only papers over the cracks. Spirited win yes and much needed in our position, but can you really say with any confidence that this means we've turned the corner? 3-2 against 10 men, didn't make easy work of it? Until we consistently get results and this means against better teams then I'll be just as sceptical about staying up with TW. A win against Blyth next week will go along way... :thumbup:

Unbeaten in three - getting a last minute winner - a good atmosphere on the journey back tonight. It must all help the cause.

Our opponents do tend to see red cards quite regularly, I wonder why?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:04 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:I listened on the mighty darlofansradio and I have to say that the win was never in doubt.

What do you think? Image

Relieved to get a much needed win although as others have said there were no excuses for not getting three points v 10 men.

And it wasn't as smooth as it should have been. Happy to get the win but must be followed up. It's too late for any false dawns.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:05 pm

What formation did we play second half?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:

He'll probably give no credit to TW. He hasn't posted yet, so we never know our luck. Blyth have lost there last 2 so next Saturday might not be a foregone conclusion, especially now our players will be re-energised.
Pete you're developing quite the obsession. Three threads in a row you've mentioned me.

And I thought you were all for people expressing their opinions.

Next step for TW is to beat a side with all 11 men on the pitch.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:19 pm

AW totally honest. We weren’t great, still get bullied a bit, some poor decision making eg OHanlon giving away a needless last minute free kick...but there are signs all over the pitch that we can get into gear. Thing is this is the NLN...you don’t get massive consistency without buying it. We have a great bunch of lads who will always be prone to make poor decisions...that’s why they’re at this level. Makes winning in adversity even sweeter

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Boston are on a brilliant run of form. They are top of the form table for every combination of games played. 4,6,8 and ten.

23 points out of ten games!

The highest I can find for us is in the last 4 played, which looking at 13th place.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:41 pm

Not at the game, but from radio commentary Caton did not seem to make the real difference. Will reserve judgement until I see the highlights on YouTube, but for all our sakes, hope Caton and the team have turned the corner and go on to save the season

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:48 pm

jjljks wrote:Not at the game, but from radio commentary Caton did not seem to make the real difference. Will reserve judgement until I see the highlights on YouTube, but for all our sakes, hope Caton and the team have turned the corner and go on to save the season
You weren’t at the game but make a comment anyway! I was at the game and he did make a difference. Give the lad some credit when it is due!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:50 pm

Hard to believe after winning our first game of the season away at Salford, we'd have to wait until nearly the end of January for our next away win.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:57 pm

I think today buys Wright a week, but bear in mind the formation he has been trying to form us into was totally ineffective, and we improved markedly when forced to go 442. If blyth are out of form we have to be looking at beating them next week, no more "we may get a point then look for the next easy game". Let's start winning.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:01 pm

442 works for me.

In Euro 90 I think the England players pressurised Bobby Robson to change formation and play that way, and it worked a treat.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:02 pm

It seems strange when we have a surfeit of wingers that we aren't naturally going for that formation.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:03 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:442 works for me.

In Euro 90 I think the England players pressurised Bobby Robson to change formation and play that way, and it worked a treat.
Actually it was the World Cup in 90 and our form picked up when we went 352 with Mark Wright as the sweeper

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:06 pm

loan_star wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:442 works for me.

Actually it was the World Cup in 90 and our form picked up when we went 352 with Mark Wright as the sweeper

I stand corrected.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:40 pm

What was the crowd today and roughly how many Darlo made the trip?

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:48 pm

Good performance from Darlo once the changes were made.

Thought their keeper was going to keep everything out at one point.Great way to win it at the end, just hope it gives us the momentum and confidence we need going forward.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:44 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

What do you think? Image

Relieved to get a much needed win although as others have said there were no excuses for not getting three points v 10 men.

And it wasn't as smooth as it should have been. Happy to get the win but must be followed up. It's too late for any false dawns.
Agreed - i have given Wright and the team stick recently but they did what i wanted today - won a game! We did make it much harder than it should have been. However we took the three points. We have to build on that now.

Postivies

Syers had a good game after he came on getting froward to support a quiet Styche. Boo boy Caton also had a really good game and I hope he can build on that. I was also impressed with both fullbacks. Wright actually made sensible substitutions!

negatives:

I thought Brown lost the plot after getting caught with a snidey elbow from their number 10 off the ball but Wright did the correct thing in taking him off.
We still didn't look like we had any idea how to defend and any ball into the box seemed to generate panic. Pears kicking was poor but the pitch was dire.
Starting formation was ineffective. We didn't look like scoring until we brought Syers on. (Can we not just run a sensible, simple 442?)

man of the match Tommo with a hat trick.
Last edited by MKDarlo on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:45 pm

tdk1 wrote:Got to say, Caton was excellent when he came on today.
Yep - credit where credit is due. Leamington couldn't handle him down our left.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:10 am

As Tommy said, Caton has now given him a (welcome) selection headache. Personally I didn’t think our defence looked any more vulnerable with one less CB, and we looked much more threatening going forward after the subs...so I’d like to see:
————————- Pears————————————
Trotman Heaton Galbraith (or Brown) O’Hanlon
———————— Scott—————————————
Thompson ———Turnbull————— —Caton
—————————-Syers——————————-
——————————Styche——————————
Mills on bench as still doesn’t look fit. Scott to spoil in front of the back four. Turnbull to run midfield. Thompson and Caton seemed to link up well with their full backs and were a real threat going forwards

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:41 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:As Tommy said, Caton has now given him a (welcome) selection headache. Personally I didn’t think our defence looked any more vulnerable with one less CB, and we looked much more threatening going forward after the subs...so I’d like to see:
Mills on bench as still doesn’t look fit. Scott to spoil in front of the back four. Turnbull to run midfield. Thompson and Caton seemed to link up Wheatleywell with their full backs and were a real threat going forwards
I would probably go for the team that finished off the match yesterday.
That would be the same midfield as above but with Turnbull infront of the back 4 instead of Scott, then leave Wheatley in centre
If Brown is fit, we could also bring Galbraith unto mudgield alongside of Turnbull, that would give us a little more creativity IMO.
It will be interesting to see what happens.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:44 am

Heaton is one hell of CB, does what it says on the tin, nothing fancy.

Caton and Turnbull changed the game, Turnbull just ran the show.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:06 am

Whatever the circumstances it would always seem a strange decision to me to start a game with Scott in midfield and Turnbull on the bench.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:48 am

I said the other day that we would beat Leamington and beat Blyth - one down, one to go.

Show Armstrong what he's missing.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:59 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:As Tommy said, Caton has now given him a (welcome) selection headache. Personally I didn’t think our defence looked any more vulnerable with one less CB, and we looked much more threatening going forward after the subs...so I’d like to see:
Mills on bench as still doesn’t look fit. Scott to spoil in front of the back four. Turnbull to run midfield. Thompson and Caton seemed to link up well with their full backs and were a real threat going forwards
Good shout Nick, my only change would be to get Tom Portas in the team if fit to play alongside Turnbull.We can beat Blythe IF we watch Dale and Rivers then onto Bradford.Thommo could be our ace in the pack the way he is playing.Unbeaten in 3, would take that a few weeks ago.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:00 am

LoidLucan wrote:Whatever the circumstances it would always seem a strange decision to me to start a game with Scott in midfield and Turnbull on the bench.
This^^
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:50 am

LoidLucan wrote:Whatever the circumstances it would always seem a strange decision to me to start a game with Scott in midfield and Turnbull on the bench.
I know that there have been recent games where Turnbull seemed to be less effective than we have been used to, but even so I do so agree with the above. In the first half yesterday we seemed far too reliant on launching the ball forward to no one in particular and when we did use the central midfielders they seemed out of sorts and frequently failed to control the ball, lose possession and generally allow Leamington to walk through them. Wheatley looked as if he needed Turnbull with him to get the best out of him and he played a much more active part in the play once Turnbull was on the field.

Overall I was underwhelmed by the ham-fisted way we played in the first half, Leamington were little better. Leamington's players were getting really worked up by Brown's reaction to being fouled and after their player had been sent off it seemed possible that the match might descent into something between a mudbath and a bloodbath. Happily TW's timely removal of Brown seems to have allowed the sides to refocus and remember that they were playing a football match.

Even so, at half time I was dismayed to see that we had no idea on how to capitalise on being a man up and hoped that a half time talk would get them set right. Yet the same pattern of play continued after the break and it was only when they were shook by going a goal down and got Turnbull and (a surprise to all) Caton on that the team looked capable of dictating the play. Whilst giving due credit to all three subs and the way Darlo rolled up their sleeves and pulled out a win, this has to be read against the fact that Leamington did more or less what we've been doing recently, rescuing defeat from the jaws of victory. They got a goal up and started to hang on, and because they are still of fragile confidence they brought pressure on themselves, which, thankfully, we capitalised on.

Still need a few more wins in quick succession to get us all believing.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:22 pm

Thats a good summary of the game. The bit about wheatley is so true. Once turnbull was on he started doing those driving runs towards the box and quick exchanges of passes to open them up. Turnbull was prominent and got us going much more effectively. It was also noticeable how vocal he was in cajoling and rousing the players to go for it. In fact i think he should be given the captaincy back for the dogfight thats ahead.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:27 pm

Was Turnbull carrying some sort of knock, as he didn't start the game?

The Equalizer

Post by The Equalizer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:58 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Thats a good summary of the game. The bit about wheatley is so true. Once turnbull was on he started doing those driving runs towards the box and quick exchanges of passes to open them up. Turnbull was prominent and got us going much more effectively. It was also noticeable how vocal he was in cajoling and rousing the players to go for it. In fact i think he should be given the captaincy back for the dogfight thats ahead.
I'd also agree with that but would add that the wind (which was against us in the first half) certainly influenced the flow of both halves.

The most disappointing thing was the number of times we conceded possession (especially in the first half) with misplaced simple passes and invited pressure back on ourselves.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:53 pm

I can't believe how people singled out Turnbull as a scape goat to our bad form, He is a very good player on his day , surely he is allowed an off day, it just shows on Saturday how he can change a game... Let's get behind EVERY player instead of slating them after a bad game it doesn't help our cause... We are Darlo