50 points

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

D_F_C
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 50 points

Post by D_F_C » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:53 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
D_F_C wrote:so what you're saying is the only person who has an opinion that counts is someone who has watched EVERY single National League North game to see how they've played. On that basis no one has a worthwhile opinion
That's not what I'm saying at all, and you know fine well it's not. That's a deliberate strawman argument.

All I'm saying is I don't see how you can declare that all sides in the division are nothing to be worried about, because you're making a subjective judgement based on seeing a side once, perhaps twice, perhaps not at all.

I've not said you can't pass judgement. But you at least have to recognise that coming to a judgement based on seeing a team once is questionable.
Haven’t you just done the same thing that you’ve claimed I did.

Not once did I say that opposition teams are ‘nothing to be worried about’. I simply said I haven’t been impressed with many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:49 pm

Not once did I say that opposition teams are ‘nothing to be worried about’.
Yes you did, you said:
D_F_C wrote: Meaning that there's nowt to be scared of. We should be picking up points from top teams as well as bottom
"Nothing to be worried about" and "nowt to be scared of" are very much the same thing, are they not?

I don't think there's anyone on here who'd try and argue they don't have the same meaning.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:30 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Not once did I say that opposition teams are ‘nothing to be worried about’.
Yes you did, you said:
D_F_C wrote: Meaning that there's nowt to be scared of. We should be picking up points from top teams as well as bottom
"Nothing to be worried about" and "nowt to be scared of" are very much the same thing, are they not?

I don't think there's anyone on here who'd try and argue they don't have the same meaning.
I don’t think they mean the same in that context.

Nothing to worry about sounds like we’d win every game easily.

Nothing to be scared of sounds like we have potential to be picking up points

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:36 am

Fella, you're just being silly now. There's literally no one who thinks that and I think everyone who reads the thread would agree the two are interchangeable.

When you've been caught out, I'd recommend you stop digging a deeper hole for yourself.

stayhigh13

Post by stayhigh13 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:52 am

Darlogramps wrote:Fella, you're just being silly now. There's literally no one who thinks that and I think everyone who reads the thread would agree the two are interchangeable.

When you've been caught out, I'd recommend you stop digging a deeper hole for yourself.
I think the distinction between the two statements is a valid one to highlight actually.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:24 am

Another of the "You say black, we say white brigade."

There is no difference between "Nothing to be worried about" and "nothing to be scared of." They are interchangeable in any context.

I find D_F_C's attempt at a distinction as a poor attempt at saving face.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:36 am

Darlogramps wrote:Another of the "You say black, we say white brigade."

There is no difference between "Nothing to be worried about" and "nothing to be scared of." They are interchangeable in any context.

Cheers stay high.

Gramps if you hadn’t changed the word that I used therefore altering the meaning we wouldn’t be having this debate. You did it to try and make more of a point.

Either way my opinion is still I haven’t seen anything in this league that I would say were brilliant

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:53 am

Most seasons, you will come away from a match once or twice thinking "fair play, they were a really good team can see why they are up there". In DFC'S defence, i haven't done that this season.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:00 am

It's always a natural reaction to think you've played badly, rather than give the opposition the credit for playing well.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:25 pm

D_F_C wrote:

Cheers stay high.

Gramps if you hadn’t changed the word that I used therefore altering the meaning we wouldn’t be having this debate. You did it to try and make more of a point.
Now you're sounding paranoid.

There is no difference in meaning between "nothing to be worried about" and "nothing to be scared of." They are exactly the same in any context.

Why won't you admit you tripped yourself up?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:28 pm

FFS no one cares.

Come on Darlo.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:29 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Most seasons, you will come away from a match once or twice thinking "fair play, they were a really good team can see why they are up there". In DFC'S defence, i haven't done that this season.
I get that. But my point is that a) surely that's even more of an indictment as to how badly we're doing. And b) that doesn't necessarily mean this division is weaker or that we've nothing to fear.

As I said earlier, coming to a judgement on the strength of the league's sides(i.e. there's nowt to be scared of) on the basis of seeing sides once is questionable.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
D_F_C wrote:

Cheers stay high.

There is no difference in meaning between "nothing to be worried about" and "nothing to be scared of." They are exactly the same in any context.

Nothing to be worried about - these aren't very good, go out there and play your game and we should be fine.

Nothing to be scared about - yes these are a good team but go out there and dont be scared to play your game.

Thats how I would read it.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:54 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
D_F_C wrote:

Cheers stay high.

Nothing to be worried about - these aren't very good, go out there and play your game and we should be fine.

Nothing to be scared about - yes these are a good team but go out there and dont be scared to play your game.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:13 pm

I'd say we need 52 points minimum to stay up, that's 19 from a possible 39 (13 games left). As of today we can achieve a total of 72 points.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:18 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:I'd say we need 52 points minimum to stay up, that's 19 from a possible 39 (13 games left). As of today we can achieve a total of 72 points.
We won't need anywhere near 52 points - 50 is normally enough in a 46 game season.

As it happens, I think we'll get more than 52 anyway.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:20 pm

Quakerz wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:I'd say we need 52 points minimum to stay up, that's 19 from a possible 39 (13 games left). As of today we can achieve a total of 72 points.
We won't need anywhere near 52 points - 50 is normally enough in a 46 game season.

As it happens, I think we'll get more than 52 anyway.
So from this position and amount of matches each team around us have left to play, you reckon 4-5 wins will be enough (12-15 points)? I'm not so sure.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

divas

Post by divas » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:27 pm

It will because there are so many teams in the mix and they’ll all take points of each other most weeks

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:31 pm

divas wrote:It will because there are so many teams in the mix and they’ll all take points of each other most weeks
Exactly - at least 5 teams need to pick up more points than we do before the end of the season to send us down.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:53 pm

loan_star wrote: Nothing to be worried about - these aren't very good, go out there and play your game and we should be fine.

Fine. However, let's swap the adjectives around in your two descriptions.

Nothing to be scared about - these aren't very good, go out there and play your game and we should be fine.

Nothing to be worried about - yes these are a good team but go out there and don't be worried to play your game.

Swapping the adjectives around hasn't changed the meaning of either description one bit, thus reinforcing my point that the two are interchangeable.

More than happy to discuss semantics, verbs and the English Language into next week. But I think people on this forum would rather discuss our improved form and relegation battle.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darlogav

Post by darlogav » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote: Nothing to be worried about - these aren't very good, go out there and play your game and we should be fine.

Fine. However, let's swap the verbs around in your two descriptions.

Nothing to be scared about - these aren't very good, go out there and play your game and we should be fine.

Nothing to be worried about - yes these are a good team but go out there and don't be worried to play your game.

Swapping the verbs around hasn't changed the meaning of either description one bit, thus reinforcing my point that the two are interchangeable.

More than happy to discuss semantics, verbs and the English Language into next week. But I think people on this forum would rather discuss our improved form and relegation battle.
Whilst everyone is busy being pedantic...

Worried and scared are not used as verbs in those sentences... ;)

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:05 pm

darlogav wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:20 pm

darlogav wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Fine. However, let's swap the verbs around in your two descriptions.

Swapping the verbs around hasn't changed the meaning of either description one bit, thus reinforcing my point that the two are interchangeable.

Oops, you are right. "To be" of course is the verb.

Although if we're descending into pedants' territory, the fragment sentence you've used isn't correct either. ;)

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:45 pm

Good start to Feb, I thought a reasonable target was 4 points, so we have 3 already which is excellent start and gives us a platform to build on.

BPA are on poor form so we need to be targeting 3 points but maybe 1 would be ok, Brackley would be great to get something but being realistic it will be a hard challenge and then Kidderminster I would take a point. So if we can get 5 or 7 in Feb I would be happy with that (4 is a minimum).

Sets us up for March and April where we have 10 games with 8 of them bottom half teams, only Spennymoor Town and Stockport County both away from home of the top half.
super_les_mcjannet wrote: February (Can we get 4 points)
Sat 3rd Feb - Home - Blyth Spartans (Win 3 points)
Sat 10th Feb - Away - Bradford Park Avenue
Sat 17th Feb - Away - Brackley Town
Sat 24th Feb - Home - Kidderminster Harriers

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:12 am

I agree Bradford 'Park Avenue' are there for the taking on Saturday based on form. Brackley and Kidderminster is just a case of keeping it respectable.

Once we are in March I would fancy us to take 9 points from Tamworth, Curzon Ashton & North Ferriby.

Maybe the play-offs could be back on at that point...

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:36 pm

I understand BPA haven't played for awhile and play tonight

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:22 am

lo36789 wrote:I agree Bradford 'Park Avenue' are there for the taking on Saturday based on form. Brackley and Kidderminster is just a case of keeping it respectable.

Once we are in March I would fancy us to take 9 points from Tamworth, Curzon Ashton & North Ferriby.

BPA just knocked 5 past Gainsborough whilst Kiddie took 3 points at Curzon with their 3rd win on the belt. Brackley are unbeaten at home this season and is a very long trip. All this suggests a point at any of these will be hard to get, so would' be a good indicator of how much we have improved. Knowing DarloFC, they could just surprise everyone & come away with some points. Fingers crossed :thumbup:

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:28 pm

jjljks wrote:
lo36789 wrote:I agree Bradford 'Park Avenue' are there for the taking on Saturday based on form. Brackley and Kidderminster is just a case of keeping it respectable.

BPA just knocked 5 past Gainsborough whilst Kiddie took 3 points at Curzon with their 3rd win on the belt. Brackley are unbeaten at home this season and is a very long trip. All this suggests a point at any of these will be hard to get, so would' be a good indicator of how much we have improved. Knowing DarloFC, they could just surprise everyone & come away with some points. Fingers crossed :thumbup:
I think we can get points from BPA and Kiddy - Kiddy will be tough but they're a footballing side and I think that could suit us. We already got a creditable draw there a couple of months ago when we were all at 6s and 7s. We've already beaten BPA, they're no better than us.

Between 3 and 6 points from those two matches.

Brackley are on another planet compared to nearly every club in this league though, so I think it's a case of bending over and hoping it won't hurt too much with that one.

Then March we will get the steamroller out of storage and pretend we're in the Northern League again.

We'll go into April full of optimism and just 3 or 4 points from the play offs, but unfortunately we will run out of matches before we can claw 7th place in.

One thing I'm convinced of now, we'll be nowhere near the relegation spots.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:00 pm

If displays like Saturday can continue then safe mid-table should be achievable.
Back in October many people on here were advocating Alan Armstrong for the managers job here. After Saturday's performance where Blyth, who are on a terrible run, were made to look like the team in relegation trouble not us, would anyone still prefer him.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:59 pm

on 36 points now and another 36 available. I suppose getting another 14 points is pretty nailed down now, but it would be great to better 2 points a game and take part in the play offs. Salford and York may get a come uppance.