New stand now under construction

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakerste
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New stand now under construction

Post by quakerste » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:00 pm

Believe it could be an option

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:02 pm

I could be wrong, but wasn't this allegedly looked at last year when we needed seats in for the playoffs, and we were told it wasn't an option?

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:20 pm

H1987 wrote:I could be wrong, but wasn't this allegedly looked at last year when we needed seats in for the playoffs, and we were told it wasn't an option?
Not looking at this as a ground improvement scheme or to meet grading requirements, purely just for better viewing for supporters. Cost and permission to site over the pipe dependant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:34 pm

QuakerPete wrote:
H1987 wrote:I could be wrong, but wasn't this allegedly looked at last year when we needed seats in for the playoffs, and we were told it wasn't an option?
Not looking at this as a ground improvement scheme or to meet grading requirements, purely just for better viewing for supporters. Cost and permission to site over the pipe dependant

From what I understand, no structure even if its temporary or removable, is allowed over the pipe.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:41 pm

As it happens, we wouldn't have to site the temporary seats over the pipe anyway.

We could put them in the open end or we could site them on the main stand side, between the pipe exclusion area and the tin shed. There are 312 seats in total, if they could be sited as one block then they would easily fit. Could be an option.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:46 pm

loan_star wrote:
QuakerPete wrote:

From what I understand, no structure even if its temporary or removable, is allowed over the pipe.

It's not called "the pipe", it's The Pipe, like God or The Cube. It too is all seeing and all knowing, so deserves to be capitalised.

Rumour has it The Pipe was never even laid by human hand, it just is, was, and always shall be.

In the 12th century some mortals tried to dig up The Pipe, but were sucked in and fired into the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Once, an artist tried to draw The Pipe, but every time he started a line his hand was frozen until eventually it just fell clean off.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Nothing allowed on top of the pipe in case it ruptures. With the pressure, it can cause serious damage. Easy for someone to flee flat standing. Harder if they are grouped together on a terrace/stand.

Next steps for me are focussing on the long term. Letting the club agree what the is masterplan is going to be. This could take some time to finalise as it means working out what can the maximum can be done in the plot and of course agreeing it with the rugby club. And that’s before even considering the sports village being on the horizon.

In the shorter term, if the temp seats are a viable solution to provide better visibility at the open end, then these should be investigated further. Even if they are there for only three / four seasons, it gives people a chance to swap ends at half time, to escape blinding sunshine, and potentially a chance to repay some of the capital through sponsoring it as a family stand for example?

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:09 pm

I think that the temporary seats should be priced up to be moved, after all we did pay for them and the whole idea IIRC was to improve the view/experience whilst we were at Heritage Park. It's an asset that we own, sat at another ground. Even if it costs a fortune, it's surely worth putting the feelers out there to gauge the thoughts of the fans?

We could place them at the open end comfortably, similar to Heritage Park, and it wouldn't cover the pipe as we can develop 60-70% of the open end taking into account the pipe exclusion zone. Although it wouldn't contribute to the overall ground grading, it would improve the match day experience and help with segregated games.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:11 pm

I'd prefer it if we installed the temp seats or a terrace on the main stand side, and left the open end as it is until we can properly develop it.

Those seats look s*** behind the goal as you have to split them into two little blocks sited either side of the goal because the incline isn't very steep

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:42 am

Quakers83 wrote:I think that the temporary seats should be priced up to be moved, after all we did pay for them and the whole idea IIRC was to improve the view/experience whilst we were at Heritage Park. It's an asset that we own, sat at another ground. Even if it costs a fortune, it's surely worth putting the feelers out there to gauge the thoughts of the fans?

We could place them at the open end comfortably, similar to Heritage Park, and it wouldn't cover the pipe as we can develop 60-70% of the open end taking into account the pipe exclusion zone. Although it wouldn't contribute to the overall ground grading, it would improve the match day experience and help with segregated games.
Totally agree with this suggestion. It isn't going to cost a fortune although it probably needs some professionals to ensure safe transport & rebuilding. Summer project for some scheme involving apprectices? Can someone on the Board get some quotes and produce a feasibility study then present to a Fans Forum so we can have an informed vote on the subject?

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:48 am

jjljks wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:I think that the temporary seats should be priced up to be moved, after all we did pay for them and the whole idea IIRC was to improve the view/experience whilst we were at Heritage Park. It's an asset that we own, sat at another ground. Even if it costs a fortune, it's surely worth putting the feelers out there to gauge the thoughts of the fans?

Totally agree with this suggestion. It isn't going to cost a fortune although it probably needs some professionals to ensure safe transport & rebuilding. Summer project for some scheme involving apprectices? Can someone on the Board get some quotes and produce a feasibility study then present to a Fans Forum so we can have an informed vote on the subject?
jjljks wrote:

Why not email the infrastructure team on DFCSG to enquire?

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:58 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
jjljks wrote:

jjljks wrote:

Why not email the infrastructure team on DFCSG to enquire?
E-mail the SLO, Dave Collinge...

I would suggest that we look at the open end for the seats and perhaps a cheap roof over it as it would improve things for away fans... I bet there are a few who have experienced standing in the rain, two people back, from the likes of York, who wouldn't come to our ground next year as the away end is so bad...

Hapag Loid
Team Supported: Darlington & Shanghai SIPG

Post by Hapag Loid » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:48 am

tdk1 wrote:
loan_star wrote:
QuakerPete wrote:

It's not called "the pipe", it's The Pipe, like God or The Cube. It too is all seeing and all knowing, so deserves to be capitalised.

Rumour has it The Pipe was never even laid by human hand, it just is, was, and always shall be.

In the 12th century some mortals tried to dig up The Pipe, but were sucked in and fired into the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Once, an artist tried to draw The Pipe, but every time he started a line his hand was frozen until eventually it just fell clean off.
I enjoyed this if noone else did :lol:

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:18 pm

Went in the new seats after the game, the view was a lot better than I expected.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:37 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:Went in the new seats after the game, the view was a lot better than I expected.
I got a seat for next year just to avoid the bad weather, however the seats are decent and the view easily better than trying to jump up and down to see over the taller people in front of me at games with a larger attendance :)

Really happy with it tbh

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:16 pm

Hapag Loid wrote:
tdk1 wrote:
loan_star wrote:
QuakerPete wrote:

How perceptive you are. Quite recently my son with a little assistance from me surveyed Blackwell Meadows. Part of this was surveying 'The Pipe' via ground radar.
There are a couple of inspection chambers and after lifting the manhole cover we could gaze in awe and amazement down on 'The Pipe'. However similar to the curse of Tutankhamun we have since been struck blind.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:57 pm

Somewhat earlier in the season that may have been a blessing (Chorley away, for example) but hopefully all is well now!