Blyth

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

bertbanger
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Blyth

Post by bertbanger » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:02 pm

big result, the first time weve put 2 wins on the spin since the 3rd match of the season!!

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:05 pm

One swallow (or even two!) does not a summer make!
We need Darlogrumps to tell us about what went wrong today :lol:

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:06 pm

Smiling from ear to ear, we smashed them.

They were lucky to keep 11 on the pitch as well, their number 6 who had already been booked chopped Caton in half.

I was actually pleased they had no one sent off (even though they should have done) because it will at least stop Gramps pointing out that we've only beaten 10 men.

No player had a bad game, every defender played well. Thompson and Wheatley were outstanding, but for me the most pleasing aspect was the performances of Caton and Syers, both who I had written off. Syers was fantastic, Caton did very well.

Styche of course was a proper forward but it's nice to be able to talk about other players.

Up the darlo.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:46 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Gazzadfc wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Biggest worry about next Saturday is the weather. -4 overnight in Bradford next Friday night. That needs to change. Perfect time to play them, so let's have a bit of luck with the weather.
Had to double take on who posted this....very much a darlo Pete post : :D

A week is a long time away...they struggle to get tomorrows forecast right.
Very true Gazza. Shows how desperate I am for this game to be on.
Will you and Nick be there Adam, looks like me and the soldier are going, must be that Indian restaurant near to the ground that along with today's performance makes it pretty much nailed on.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:48 pm

Also a big shout out to Thompson, he hadn’t had a great 12 months in my opinion . . . until Tommy Wright arrived. He’s on fire now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:51 pm

I'll be there. Driving up, dropping the girls off at the IMAX then picking them up and going straight up to Darlington for the weekend so the kids can see their grandparents. The right time to play Bradford Ron. Very confident about next week.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:01 pm

Very good performance, although we were indebted to 2 or 3 extremely good saves by Pears when Blyth did break through. Everyone played well - O'Hanlon looks a good signing. I thought Syers was man of the match today. He was exceptional. Glad for Caton to make another good contribution - hope his knock isn't too bad

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:10 pm

Played well today Adam, bit worried when I saw the team sheet without Browny and Portas but best game of the season by a mile, credit to Blyth who made it a very open game.Every single Darlo player played well but must single out Thommo, Heaton and Tez....awesome.Young Pears in goal looks like he has a great future, very composed for such a young lad.Cracking game, unbeaten in 4 and how crazy only 10 points off the playoffs taking into account our run prior to these 4 games.Mad!!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:00 pm

Is it worth seeing if we can keep Pears until the end of the season? He's only here a month, isn't he?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:03 pm

We've got Talbot to come back after his suspension and he is more than an adequate replacement for Pears.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:07 pm

Doesn't talbot only stay until he turns 21,which is a week or two before the season ends?

divas

Post by divas » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:25 pm

tdk1 wrote:Doesn't talbot only stay until he turns 21,which is a week or two before the season ends?
Yes but we can re-sign him on a proper loan rather than a youth loan at that point.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Everyone played their part today in a deserved victory. Good to see a solid back line, combative midfield and lively forward line that got getter and better as the game wore on. Must admit early in the first half I thought we would have have a tough time keeping out the likes of Hopson and Maguire but Galbraith's amazing sliding tackle on Maguire when he looked about to pull the trigger may have been a turning point (along with Tommo's penalty of course.) Many good performances in there today and I am genuinely pleased that Caton seems to have decided to get his head down, seize his second chance and do what he does best... although he did look like he had a wooden leg when he came off.
Still a lot of hard work to do but credit to TW for stringing a run together and finding a line-up and gameplan that the players look more comfortable with. More of the same please.
It really is a strange old game because when that player put ten-man Leamington in front in the second half last Saturday and we were going nowhere, you wouldn't have put a bean on us being six points better off come ten to five today.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:36 pm

divas wrote:
tdk1 wrote:Doesn't talbot only stay until he turns 21,which is a week or two before the season ends?
Yes but we can re-sign him on a proper loan rather than a youth loan at that point.
Unsure on the specific rules but can we technically re-sign him after 31st March (league registration deadline)?

You can sign an emergency goalkeeper at any point but would we get dispensation with Bancroft registered?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:59 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Everyone played their part today in a deserved victory. Good to see a solid back line, combative midfield and lively forward line that got getter and better as the game wore on. Must admit early in the first half I thought we would have have a tough time keeping out the likes of Hopson and Maguire but Galbraith's amazing sliding tackle on Maguire when he looked about to pull the trigger may have been a turning point (along with Tommo's penalty of course.) Many good performances in there today and I am genuinely pleased that Caton seems to have decided to get his head down, seize his second chance and do what he does best... although he did look like he had a wooden leg when he came off.
Still a lot of hard work to do but credit to TW for stringing a run together and finding a line-up and gameplan that the players look more comfortable with. More of the same please.
It really is a strange old game because when that player put ten-man Leamington in front in the second half last Saturday and we were going nowhere, you wouldn't have put a bean on us being six points better off come ten to five today.
Back from the game and thought today was our most complete performance under Wright.

I was concerned that he once again changed the formation but fair play, today's selection, the same that finished the Leamington game, seems to be working.

Thompson is a player reborn under Wright and is finally putting in the types of performances in this division everyone thought he'd be capable of. And it is only a game and a half, but the signs look good for Caton.

A lot of work still to do, and there can't be any let up. A couple of defeats will see us back near the bottom three and I'm still massively concerned about our reliance on Styche. An injury or suspension to him would hit us very hard. But I'm more confident than I was a fortnight ago that we'll stay up.

Still not convinced on Wright mind, but fair play for the last couple of results.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:18 pm

Never heard the 50/50 winning number today, anybody know it?

Carl Airey

Post by Carl Airey » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:27 pm

11292 I know because We missed it by one number!

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:52 pm

Carl Airey wrote:11292 I know because We missed it by one number!
We missed it by our usual 500+ :lol:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:01 pm

QuakerPete wrote:
Carl Airey wrote:11292 I know because We missed it by one number!
We missed it by our usual 500+ :lol:
Cheers I didn't win it either!! :D

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:10 pm

Best all round performance in a long time. Let’s hope they keep progressing like this. Pleased for Wright that results are now reflecting performances, keeps people off his back for a while. Also pleased to see Caton show he’s not the flop we all thought he was. No let up though, he needs to do this week in week out now.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:33 am

I think Tommy got it spot on today. There was no way we should have been playing 3 at the back against Blyth, because Rivers and Dale would have had acres of space. Was happy to see 4 at the back and hopefully that will stay.

The second goal was the very important, we'd just started to drop deep and soak up pressure. Nice to see the darlo fans recognise this and the noise and support increased. The players responded.

Sussex07

Post by Sussex07 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:33 am

Even a hangover feels good this morning.Up the Darlo!! :thumbup:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:36 am

It's amazing how a couple of wins turns the atmosphere at the club on it's head. Hopefully from now on, everybody will get behind the team and management.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:54 am

LoidLucan wrote:Everyone played their part today in a deserved victory. Good to see a solid back line, combative midfield and lively forward line that got getter and better as the game wore on. Must admit early in the first half I thought we would have have a tough time keeping out the likes of Hopson and Maguire but Galbraith's amazing sliding tackle on Maguire when he looked about to pull the trigger may have been a turning point (along with Tommo's penalty of course.) Many good performances in there today and I am genuinely pleased that Caton seems to have decided to get his head down, seize his second chance and do what he does best... although he did look like he had a wooden leg when he came off.
Spot on about the Galbraith tackle as it looked like their lad was clean through and was on for a goal or a penalty with A red card at least. Instead Tez not only caught him, took the ball cleanly and started a counterattack. A real turning point, but several occasions when their chances were foiled by saves from Pears or Heaton headers and blocks from OHanlon. Nice to see him getting MOTM recognition. At last a clean sheet which was a credit to the whole side.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:01 am

2 things have change for me since Chorley at home: Caton's renaissance and getting a proper full back in O'Hanlon. Also, Galbraith for me is a real confidence player. Hopefully yesterday gives him confidence.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:28 am

loan_star wrote:Best all round performance in a long time. Let’s hope they keep progressing like this. Pleased for Wright that results are now reflecting performances, keeps people off his back for a while. Also pleased to see Caton show he’s not the flop we all thought he was. No let up though, he needs to do this week in week out now.
Being fair to Caton, I do think that he began the season in this form, but his runs were not getting quite the same rewards as it became clear that Beck wasn't the player of last season (due to injury) and Cartman was still struggling to find his form. I think he understandably lost some of his desire when his efforts failed to result in goals. Now that the team is carrying a genuine goalscoring threat it's feeding players such as Caton and Thommo with the belief that it's worthwhile trying to get past defenders, and suddenly we look like a dangerous team going forward. It was worrying to see Caton still struggling to walk upstairs after the match, which suggests that he might be missing next week.

On a more general note, I was really impressed by how complete a performance we witnessed yesterday. Last week's victory, though massive, was somewhat at fits and starts, and whilst it came good in the end, that could not quite gloss over a very average first 70 minutes. So coming into this game with a history this season of giving up promising situations, I did worry that it would produce another backwards step. But the team blew all that doubt away. Even before the first goal you felt and saw the confidence in the passing and the desire to take the game to Blyth. The back four were very impressive, with O'Hanlon showing that he can defend as well as attack, Trotman the willing outlet on the other side, and two immense performances from the two centre backs. The Galbraith tackle in the first half was wonderful, and Josh Heaton is some find, and could also easily have been man of the match. Turnbull was barking out orders and keeping the effort up alongside the skilful Wheatley, backed up by the dangerous runs of Thompson and Caton. And finally we have a genuine focus for the attacking play in the forthright Styche and the ever dangerous Syers. It is probably fair to say that TW has very gradually got this team back on track. Although a lot has been said about the defensive failures this year, the main change from last year has been in the poor form in front of goal. Having brought in Styche, TW has managed to give the team that faith back and whilst it was only Styche who was scoring, you could sense that other, such as Thommo and Syers have begun to buy into the belief that they can join the goalscoring party. I wouldn't be surprised to find this belief transferring to others and look forward to seeing more goals from Mills, Gillies and Wheatley. It's looking good, and it's still a work in progress, but their are definitely reasons to be cheerful as we head into the last dozen games of the seaon.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:06 am

We also have to remember that we were playing a pretty decent side. Blyth are on a bad run, but they are not in a play-off position for no reason. Any neutral at the game yesterday, would have thought we'd be in a play-off position and Blyth would have been fighting to avoid being relegated. In the second half I went up to the open end and talked to one Blyth fan, who has been to every game this season and he reckoned we were about the best team they've played against, rare praise indeed.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:32 am

en passant wrote:
loan_star wrote:Best all round performance in a long time. Let’s hope they keep progressing like this. Pleased for Wright that results are now reflecting performances, keeps people off his back for a while. Also pleased to see Caton show he’s not the flop we all thought he was. No let up though, he needs to do this week in week out now.
Being fair to Caton, I do think that he began the season in this form, but his runs were not getting quite the same rewards as it became clear that Beck wasn't the player of last season (due to injury) and Cartman was still struggling to find his form. I think he understandably lost some of his desire when his efforts failed to result in goals. Now that the team is carrying a genuine goalscoring threat it's feeding players such as Caton and Thommo with the belief that it's worthwhile trying to get past defenders, and suddenly we look like a dangerous team going forward. It was worrying to see Caton still struggling to walk upstairs after the match, which suggests that he might be missing next week.

On a more general note, I was really impressed by how complete a performance we witnessed yesterday. Last week's victory, though massive, was somewhat at fits and starts, and whilst it came good in the end, that could not quite gloss over a very average first 70 minutes. So coming into this game with a history this season of giving up promising situations, I did worry that it would produce another backwards step. But the team blew all that doubt away. Even before the first goal you felt and saw the confidence in the passing and the desire to take the game to Blyth. The back four were very impressive, with O'Hanlon showing that he can defend as well as attack, Trotman the willing outlet on the other side, and two immense performances from the two centre backs. The Galbraith tackle in the first half was wonderful, and Josh Heaton is some find, and could also easily have been man of the match. Turnbull was barking out orders and keeping the effort up alongside the skilful Wheatley, backed up by the dangerous runs of Thompson and Caton. And finally we have a genuine focus for the attacking play in the forthright Styche and the ever dangerous Syers. It is probably fair to say that TW has very gradually got this team back on track. Although a lot has been said about the defensive failures this year, the main change from last year has been in the poor form in front of goal. Having brought in Styche, TW has managed to give the team that faith back and whilst it was only Styche who was scoring, you could sense that other, such as Thommo and Syers have begun to buy into the belief that they can join the goalscoring party. I wouldn't be surprised to find this belief transferring to others and look forward to seeing more goals from Mills, Gillies and Wheatley. It's looking good, and it's still a work in progress, but their are definitely reasons to be cheerful as we head into the last dozen games of the seaon.
A spot on post en passant. We too spotted Caton after the game looking rather impeded, but I agree, at the start of the season Beck and Cartman weren't really at it.

I thought yesterday we looked like a good to middling team for this division. Capable of competing on a fair level with everyone else, which is probably what we were right at the start of the season before all the drama and bad feeling set in. I'm glad that we look more settled now, well done T.W and A.W.

We carried a little luck with us for our first three games this season, catching Salford before they settled into their stride then playing two teams at home who aren't particularly good - G'boro and Alfreton, in fact I remember the Gainsborough game as being quite tight and we rode our luck a little! In hindsight this probably created a false impression

I thought Pears was brilliant in goal yesterday, one save in particular when got down rapidly to his left hand side was outstanding and came at a crucial time in the game. He is obviously a talented goal keeper. :thumbup:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:58 am

Hopefully Caton just has a dead leg. If that's the case then some ice and rest will settle the swelling down quickly and he might be OK for next week.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:45 am

As many have said since York away in August, Galbraith is a far better centre back than left back. His his composure on the ball from centre back, especially as a left footer, is a massive plus as it allows us to retain the ball far more effectively, and offers an additional passing option from midfield.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk