Blyth

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Blyth

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:05 pm

Beano wrote:As many have said since York away in August, Galbraith is a far better centre back than left back. His his composure on the ball from centre back, especially as a left footer, is a massive plus as it allows us to retain the ball far more effectively, and offers an additional passing option from midfield.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The only downside from having Galbraith at centre half, is that he can't go forward to deliver his dead balls at set pieces.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:16 pm

For me Galbraith will make a far better centre back than left back as long as Whitey can work on his positioning and make him more vocal. As a left back he couldn't get up and down the field such as O'Hanlon who again could be a good acquisition. He has all the attributes to make this position is own as he can read the game and his distribution is better than other centre half's at the club who just launch it forward.

Two other mentions one for Wheatley who is getting better game by game, for me yesterday he was MOM his work rate, passing and possession of the ball was outstanding definitely one for the future.

Heaton again was outstanding I only hope we have him tied down to a lengthy contract as he is another who will progress, lets only hope it is with us.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:26 pm

Caton was holding his hamstring when he went off. Hopefully it was just tight, but if not it could be a few weeks out. Thought he played well yesterday and his crossing very good. He could still work a bit harder, but that maybe be being a bit harsh.

As others have said it was really hard to pick a MOTM yesterday. Other than one mistake early on Tez was excellent as was Heston. I think I would have given it to Wheatley or Turnbull, who looked to be back to his best after a few below par performances.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Beano wrote:As many have said since York away in August, Galbraith is a far better centre back than left back. His his composure on the ball from centre back, especially as a left footer, is a massive plus as it allows us to retain the ball far more effectively, and offers an additional passing option from midfield.

The only downside from having Galbraith at centre half, is that he can't go forward to deliver his dead balls at set pieces.
Why not? What a weird thing to say.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:10 pm

Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Because he is very good at delivering more than decent balls at set pieces and corners and if he plays centre half, he can't do that anymore.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:11 pm

Cannot understand all the talk about Tez being a far better CH than LB, he is still a very good LB and as we only have O'Hanlon until the end of the season it would be a no brainer to revert back.Having said that he had a great game yesterday against a very tricky attack alongside Heaton who hopefully we have tied down to a 2 year contract as without doubt will have scouts watching him any time soon.Great prospect who will be worth big money.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:22 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Cannot understand all the talk about Tez being a far better CH than LB, he is still a very good LB and as we only have O'Hanlon until the end of the season it would be a no brainer to revert back.Having said that he had a great game yesterday against a very tricky attack alongside Heaton who hopefully we have tied down to a 2 year contract as without doubt will have scouts watching him any time soon.Great prospect who will be worth big money.

We've just come through a dreadful run of games where we let in shedloads of goals and had Galbraith at left back. We've signed a new left back, moved Galbraith to the centre and things have improved. Now suddenly people can't wait for Galbraith to return to left back. Where lets face it, he was performing awfully. He does not have the pace to play as an attacking full back and his set piece deliveries have been dreadful for over a year.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:32 pm

He is still a good LB in my opinion and would not be worried in the least if he reverted back.Also he can slot into midfield if need be.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:35 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
He does not have the pace to play as an attacking full back.
It is as simple as that.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:04 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:He could still work a bit harder, but that maybe be being a bit harsh.
To be fair you could say the same about Styche, quite a few times he can be seen ball watching and there was a point yesterday where Turnbull had a go at him for not closing down.
Sometimes you just have to accept that some players won’t run around like a headless chicken for 90 minutes and be happy with what they do contribute as it usually makes up for the lack of graft.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:38 pm

Some thoughts on yesterdays game. Really good performance from everyone, Blyth's front 2 were very tricky (yes we know about Hopson). Both teams tried to play football on the floor despite the tricky conditions.
At times it looked like we were playing 4-2-4 - but that is Wright's philosophy - he wants to attack. Caton was good again - but we will have to expect with this sort of player, he is a luxury player and will either be really good or bang average, so he is probably always going to be in and out of the team.
The back four looked good - I have been saying for a while Brown is not up to scratch at this level - he gives 100% granted - but the way Galbraith has slotted in he looks a class above.
Finally, I can see why Tommy wanted Styche so badly - he absolutely terrorises defenders. He was putting himself about in the second half really winding them up and the defenders were trying to get him sent off - one went down accusing of an elbow - fair play to the Ref and Lino not falling for it.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:54 pm

jjljks wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Everyone played their part today in a deserved victory. Good to see a solid back line, combative midfield and lively forward line that got getter and better as the game wore on. Must admit early in the first half I thought we would have have a tough time keeping out the likes of Hopson and Maguire but Galbraith's amazing sliding tackle on Maguire when he looked about to pull the trigger may have been a turning point (along with Tommo's penalty of course.) Many good performances in there today and I am genuinely pleased that Caton seems to have decided to get his head down, seize his second chance and do what he does best... although he did look like he had a wooden leg when he came off.
Still a lot of hard work to do but credit to TW for stringing a run together and finding a line-up and gameplan that the players look more comfortable with. More of the same please.
It really is a strange old game because when that player put ten-man Leamington in front in the second half last Saturday and we were going nowhere, you wouldn't have put a bean on us being six points better off come ten to five today.
Spot on about the Galbraith tackle as it looked like their lad was clean through and was on for a goal or a penalty with A red card at least. Instead Tez not only caught him, took the ball cleanly and started a counterattack. A real turning point, but several occasions when their chances were foiled by saves from Pears or Heaton headers and blocks from OHanlon. Nice to see him getting MOTM recognition. At last a clean sheet which was a credit to the whole side.
Galbraith would only have had a booking had he given a penalty away, just the same as the Blyth player for our penalty.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:53 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Because he is very good at delivering more than decent balls at set pieces and corners and if he plays centre half, he can't do that anymore.
Why can't he?

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Beano wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
He does not have the pace to play as an attacking full back.
It is as simple as that.

He has never looked the real deal as a left back. He has closed some tricky wingers down on occasion, but has often left gaps. He is better at centre back. Why cant take his quality free kicks as a centre back? He is often used in the box for corners and long may that continue.

Blackwell64

Post by Blackwell64 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:06 pm

Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Why can't he?

I imagine because it decreases how useful our set pieces are. Throughout the team there isn’t an ambundance of players that are dangerous in the air/physical threats.

From the last game for example: Turnbull, Wheatley, Gillies/Caton, Saunders the two full backs, are low threats in the air.

Syers, and tommo, are medium threats.

Heaton, Galbraith, and Styche could be classed as high threats.

Usually teams at this level seem to have the same or more highly skilled players in the air. With our team so small in height, having Galbraith taking set pieces it simply isn’t worth putting him on that duty. I believe Galbraith looked dangerous from our set pieces as a heading threat against Blyth, having him off set pieces is a no brainier with the team as it is currently.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:25 pm

Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Why can't he?

Because he'd be out of position if the opposition broke out quickly, especially if he took a corner.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:34 pm

We don’t actually need him to take corners when Caton is playing his corners yesterday were very dangerous, hard and flat. With Thomson taking it on the other side it frees up Galbraith to be in the middle.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:25 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote: The only downside from having Galbraith at centre half, is that he can't go forward to deliver his dead balls at set pieces.

Why can't he?

Because he'd be out of position if the opposition broke out quickly, especially if he took a corner.
Centre backs are normally in the area anyway so he is out of position if they break quickly anyway, didn't stop Brown taking throws either.

However as has already been said we have enough people that can deliver a decent ball without relying on him.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote: The only downside from having Galbraith at centre half, is that he can't go forward to deliver his dead balls at set pieces.

Why can't he?

If it was a free kick in a central position say 30 yards from goal, he'd actually be right back in position soon after taking it.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:06 am

Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Because he'd be out of position if the opposition broke out quickly, especially if he took a corner.
If it was a free kick in a central position say 30 yards from goal, he'd actually be right back in position soon after taking it.
Indeed he'd be closer to his position than if he were in the mix trying to win the ball from the delivery.

Concept that a player can't take set pieces because he plays in a certain position is a new one on me!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:39 pm

Galbraith can easily slot in at LB, but he's not a great LWB or even as part of a four man midfield as he's previously been asked to do. Galbraith only really scares me when the ball goes over his head. When he has to turn and run, that's when he's in trouble

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:32 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Galbraith's amazing sliding tackle on Maguire when he looked about to pull the trigger may have been a turning point
Just got round to watching the highlights and I tell you what, that tackle was nothing less than outstanding.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:08 pm

biccynana wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Galbraith's amazing sliding tackle on Maguire when he looked about to pull the trigger may have been a turning point
Just got round to watching the highlights and I tell you what, that tackle was nothing less than outstanding.
Or, as the commentators pointed out it, he got slightly lucky. He mis-timed it and went to ground too early but thankfully the Blyth player took an extra touch.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:12 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
biccynana wrote:
Or, as the commentators pointed out it, he got slightly lucky. He mis-timed it and went to ground too early but thankfully the Blyth player took an extra touch.
I’m prepared to give Tez the benefit of the doubt that he knew what he was doing ;)